2009-2010 Dartmouth Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2009-10 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job.

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

LOR REQUIREMENTS

A Premedical Committee reference letter

Letter Packet (A packet or set of letters assembled and distributed by your institution)

Two individual reference letters
(Although you may send additional letters, your file will be considered complete once we have received the required two, and formal review of your application will begin at that time)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
just got an e-mail about the secondary. just questions other than these 2 things...

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2009-10 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job.

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

looks like no limit in words..

Members don't see this ad :)
aww i didnt get anything yet :(. If those are the questions this year you should pm ksmi117 or shemarty. Id love to get an opportunity to come to dartmouth...though my chances are probably slim at them even interviewing me :laugh:

I just got the email, too.

nevermind i just got it too lol. It feels nice to have these things finally come in...i already wrote my dartmouth prompts based off last years so i can submit today :)...though i feel bad doing it.

Last edited:
what are you guys writing about for the second prompt? I was thinking about writing about why I want to go to Dartmouth, but I'm not sure if that is really what they are looking for.

what are you guys writing about for the second prompt? I was thinking about writing about why I want to go to Dartmouth, but I'm not sure if that is really what they are looking for.
looking through last years thread you could do that...some chose to but i do not think that is what they are looking for. I think its more tell us something more about yourself so that we may learn about you as a person (i.e tell us something interesting about you that might help us evaluate you).

There are 2 routes to go for this question, you could either

A) talk about why dartmouth (imo not the best way to go but w/e)

B) Talk more about yourself, maybe experiences that make you interesting. I feel this is the better option but in the end it probably doesnt matter. I always feel saying why dartmouth is kinda cheesy, after all you are applying there because you are interested and most list research, student opportunities, etc etc as why dartmouth, but those arent very personal or imo very powerful reasons as they could be said about many institutions. If you for some reason have more in depth knowledge of dartmouth that is beyond what is in an admission book or on the website then by all means option A may be a good one too.

In case it wasnt obvious i did option B :p. I talked about some different experiences in my life that i felt are important which really arent addressed in other areas of my application.

the first secondary i received! finally. the questions seem pretty easy.

I think it is kinda weird that they sent out their secondary when they have not even recieved our primary apps. They should at least wait until tomorrow.

Maybe I could write about a challenge I had and how I overcame it or something.

Hey all,

Quick question. For both my undergrad and post-bac studies, all courses counted for only one credit. I'm assuming that each normal class is 3 credit hours, and those with a lab are 4? For the bio course pre-reqs I'd love to use biochem as one, but seeing how it didn't have a lab would it count as only 3 credits?

Also, do the required bio courses need to have a lab (it doesn't stipulate on the website), because if not, I would also love to thow down Histology instead of boring ol' Intro Bio...

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Quick question. For both my undergrad and post-bac studies, all courses counted for only one credit. I'm assuming that each normal class is 3 credit hours, and those with a lab are 4? For the bio course pre-reqs I'd love to use biochem as one, but seeing how it didn't have a lab would it count as only 3 credits?

Also, do the required bio courses need to have a lab (it doesn't stipulate on the website), because if not, I would also love to thow down Histology instead of boring ol' Intro Bio...

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

I would just do the intro to bio, they have your entire transcripts its not liek they wont see you took upper div classes. Id assume you have a B or less in intro to bio and an A in the upper div so thats why you want to do it? If thats the case you shouldnt even worry about that, but if you are paranoid just list w/e bio you want. I called them and they said you dont even have to list the labs on there so i assume any class will do.

are you guys able to log on? I can't get the web link in the e-mail to work.:confused:

Thanks, Elijah! I think I'll just stick with the intro bio then.

Man, we can't save the info and come back later.:( So I'm going to finish this and submit in the next few hours.

do you think it's worth talking about how your academic record is more representative than your mcat score? I mean, i was waitlisted to NYU undergrad because my sats were rather low. In the end though... I graduated in the top 10% of my class... and so it goes... I only got a 29Q on those dam MCATS

do you think it's worth talking about how your academic record is more representative than your mcat score? I mean, i was waitlisted to NYU undergrad because my sats were rather low. In the end though... I graduated in the top 10% of my class... and so it goes... I only got a 29Q on those dam MCATS
I personally feel its best to stay away from these topics on a secondary. On an interview, they will possibly ask you why you gpa is so high and mcat so low (or something to that affect) if they even care. Id focus on something more positive. Its very easy to sound like you are whining when you talk about why your record (GPA, mcat, ecs) are not what you would like them to be.

Talk about your strengths, not weaknesses.

There's no time-out session when you are logged on, right? I'm writing this on their site and I will be pissed if it logs me out automatically.

Thanks, good advice...now to find one of those experiences...

I found it's always better to do this kind of thing directly in word. The question isn't going anywhere...and neither is your work.

I hope theres not a time out...im waiting for a friend to read my last prompt :(. If there is o well its saved in word...id hate to enter the pre reqs again..

I hope theres not a time out...im waiting for a friend to read my last prompt :(. If there is o well its saved in word...id hate to enter the pre reqs again..

yeah, the prereqs are killing me.

With no word limit, i was wondering what you guys/girls are thinking is reasonable for each prompt (in terms of length).....?

I have tons to say for one of the two, while the other prompt I dont have that much to talk about. So any suggestions as to whats too short and whats too long??

With no word limit, i was wondering what you guys/girls are thinking is reasonable for each prompt (in terms of length).....?

I have tons to say for one of the two, while the other prompt I dont have that much to talk about. So any suggestions as to whats too short and whats too long??

I'm writing about a page for the second prompt.

Whoo hooo, I just submitted!

Good luck to us all! :D

Whoo hooo, I just submitted!

Good luck to us all! :D
me too!! only what 44 more to go FML? haha....were the best:laugh:.

Also for those interested if you got FAP all you do is click fee waiver after submission and dartmouth takes care of the rest. So you dont have to send anything in.

Just say what you have to and be done with it. If one paragraph is enough awesome, if you need a full page then so be it. Be concise and say what you want length really isnt an issue. Just for reference my prompt about the anything extra you want to add was about 3/4 - 1 page.

Have only a few people received Dartmouth secondaries yet? Do they send out their secondaries in any specific order or just in the order in which they receive AMCAS? (I submitted 6/3 was verified 6/8)

Have only a few people received Dartmouth secondaries yet? Do they send out their secondaries in any specific order or just in the order in which they receive AMCAS? (I submitted 6/3 was verified 6/8)
I dont know really but most schools tend to send it out in batches of those they received. In the end dont worry, if you didnt get it yet you should be soon. I was verified like 6/4 only a few days before you.

me too!! only what 44 more to go FML? haha....were the best:laugh:.

Also for those interested if you got FAP all you do is click fee waiver after submission and dartmouth takes care of the rest. So you dont have to send anything in.

haha yes we are.. I've officially submitted 3 so far :D

Just say what you have to and be done with it. If one paragraph is enough awesome, if you need a full page then so be it. Be concise and say what you want length really isnt an issue. Just for reference my prompt about the anything extra you want to add was about 3/4 - 1 page.

agreed. I had about a page though for that one.

Did anyone submit a photo? Does it automatically upload when you click "Submit" on the secondary? :confused:

I didn't submit a photo either.

I just submitted! Feels so good.:D

I dont know really but most schools tend to send it out in batches of those they received. In the end dont worry, if you didnt get it yet you should be soon. I was verified like 6/4 only a few days before you.

Haha, just as I said that, I got the secondary...

This secondary wasn't so bad. For the signature thing at the end, you just type out your full name, right?

Since submitting my amcas, I have shadowed a physician and had, in my eyes, some really interesting experiences. Obviously this is not listed elsewhere on my application. Would the 2nd question be the way to let DMS know of this experience?

If you haven't gotten one, I can tell you that it has nothing to do with order of verification. I'm not even verified (submitted 6/16) and I got the email today.

you guys are all submitting right now. is it useless to submit right now if our LORs aren't all received by amcas? or will submitting right now still put us ahead in the queue?

you guys are all submitting right now. is it useless to submit right now if our LORs aren't all received by amcas? or will submitting right now still put us ahead in the queue?
My LORs are already recieved by amcas. Even if they werent id have submitted today. I wrote these prompts like 1 month ago. Everything was basically set up today. But you are right, you cant be complete until they have your LORs but if you are done why not submit now? :shrug:

hey guys, go and download a PDF of your secondary app. On the two questions that I typed the answers to, they somehow deleted apostrophes whenever I used them. Did your guys' apostrophes in your responses get deleted as well?

haha yes we are.. I've officially submitted 3 so far :D

agreed. I had about a page though for that one.

I'm writing about a page for the second prompt.

I'm assuming you mean double-spaced, right?

I'm assuming you mean double-spaced, right?

no mines like 3/4 page single space...i dont double space anything.

Also blue i checked for the apostrophe thing, but i didnt use any:(. Though i did write it in ms word. Wait...i just checked and used quotation marks and a dash (-). Both of these do not show up...wth they showed up when i wrote them in there....oh well hope its not a huge deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.