2009-2010 East Carolina University (Brody) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://core.ecu.edu/BSOMcands/applicationinstructions.pdfPROMPT

Write a composition of 300-500 words which reflects your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, avocational areas of interest, and your major reaction to contemporary life experienced during the last several years.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary is posted. I think?

http://core.ecu.edu/BSOMcands/applicationinstructions.pdf

2. SUBMITTED DOCUMENTS. The following must accompany your certified Supplementary Application:
a. A passport-type photo, color, full face, and current (appropriate for a professional application).
b. A composition of 300-500 words which reflects your reasons for desiring to study medicine, your future professional aspirations, avocational areas of interest, and your major reaction to contemporary life experienced during the last several years.
Be sure to put your name and AMCAS identification number in the upper right corner of the first page.
c. A completed and certified Statement of Residence form.

got my secondary! looks exactly the same as last year!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my secondary today. Looks like I will need to get my LORs submitted. Does anyone know how long it takes AMCAS to acknowledge secondaries?

anyone complete yet? how do they tell you if you are or if you're missing something?

EDIT: they send a complete email

Last edited:
ok, so I've tried to upload my app on two different connections now, and it's not letting me upload :(

anyone else having this problem? Or are they just rejecting me earlier than usual?

EDIT: They must read SDN 24/7 -- the minute I posted, it finally went through :D

W00T ECU!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty pumped about ECU. Question about the essay. Do you have to address all these different topics in one essay?
And major reaction to contemporary life? What are they referring to exactly?

are they still accepting applications? I can't find them on amcas...

For the "schools you're sending secondaries to" prompt, is it going to look bad to put that I intend to send like 20? How is everyone else filling that out?

I'm pretty pumped about ECU. Question about the essay. Do you have to address all these different topics in one essay?
And major reaction to contemporary life? What are they referring to exactly?

Yeah, this is a strangely worded essay. It sounds a lot more philosophical and much less about touching on previous experience to me, but I could be misreading. I think I'm just going to talk about why medical school, current and future status of medicine, what I've learned about myself and about the world in the past few years...

For the "schools you're sending secondaries to" prompt, is it going to look bad to put that I intend to send like 20? How is everyone else filling that out?

sorry, i realize its a late response..but don't lie. just be honest, you don't know what they have access to on your files, and it would be a stupid reason to be rejected..

What is everyones thoughts on what contemporary life is?

I am applying to school next cycle and I was just wondering what everybody thought about ECU for medical school. I am a NC resident so the tuition cost is a big factor. I have read about ECU in the MSAR but I was wondering what your thoughts were on it. Is it considered a lower tier medical school.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have already submitted, are you done when you upload your files or is there an additional certification screen? Just want to make sure I don't accidentally submit my files before I have finished proofreading everything.

Just got an interview! So excited!!

Complete: 8/9

Interview Invite: 8/10

Interview: 9/1

Just got an interview! So excited!!

Complete: 8/9

Interview Invite: 8/10

Interview: 9/1

wow, congrats!!! ridiculous turnaround time :thumbup:

anyone else?

i was complete 7/14, and nothing. but the unc supp lessens the blow :rolleyes:

I did. I got an email saying to call and set up an interview time

Complete: 8/11
Interview invite: 8/13
Interview: 9/17

They didn't seem very willing to accommodate my course schedule - would've rather preferred Friday over Thursday but whatever.

Congrats to those with interviews!

Complete: 8/11
Interview invite: 8/13
Interview: 9/17

They didn't seem very willing to accommodate my course schedule - would've rather preferred Friday over Thursday but whatever.

Congrats to those with interviews!

nice turnaround! just got an invite this wk, was complete mid-july :love:

Those of you who've gotten interviews so far, care to share a general idea of your stats? (You can PM if you prefer.) I'd just like to get an inkling of where I stand in comparison!

Ok I keep getting this message when I try to upload my files
"The MIME type of the uploaded file application/octet-stream was not accepted by the server. "

I have everything in rtf and jpeg.
What is wrong?

Ok I keep getting this message when I try to upload my files
"The MIME type of the uploaded file application/octet-stream was not accepted by the server. "

I have everything in rtf and jpeg.
What is wrong?

If you're not already, try using IE.

This forum is so quiet...

Anyway, has anybody interviewed already? There aren't any feedbacks from this year yet I think.

I finished my secondary last week. I am waiting for them to acknowledge receipt of it. I think it is still early for ECU.

This forum is so quiet...

Anyway, has anybody interviewed already? There aren't any feedbacks from this year yet I think.

I went and it was great! The interview feedback that's already up gives a very accurate picture of what the day will be like and what questions will be asked--the only hard part is waiting to hear after the interview :)

I went and it was great! The interview feedback that's already up gives a very accurate picture of what the day will be like and what questions will be asked--the only hard part is waiting to hear after the interview :)

exactly. the questions haven't changed from last year and everyones friendly. nothing tricky, just a conversation. when conversation falters they throw in another question.

GL all :luck:

My interview is super soon. Do I have anything to worry about? Are the interviews pretty laid back?

When were you complete with them? I am trying to gauge the time between being complete and an interview invite.

interview is very laid-back. they really just want to see if you are a good match for their school and for medicine in general.

And as far as getting an interview, it took me roughly 3 weeks to get my invite after supps were turned in! I would assume it would be faster now since I applied during the very beginning of the cycle

When were you complete with them? I am trying to gauge the time between being complete and an interview invite.

It took me about a month, but I also applied early on.

They are laid back. I think there are one or two interviewers who are a little more intense but as long as you are confident and prepared they won't be a problem.

The ECU website is updating the number of people interviewed, offered spots, and total number that submitted AMCAS application. Here is what the website says:

As of October 15, 2009, we have .....

• Received 714 AMCAS applications
  • Received 398 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 158 applicants
  • Made 13 offers
Pretty cool to include that I think.

The ECU website is updating the number of people interviewed, offered spots, and total number that submitted AMCAS application. Here is what the website says:

As of October 15, 2009, we have .....

• Received 714 AMCAS applications
  • Received 398 Supplementary applications
  • Interviewed 158 applicants
  • Made 13 offers
Pretty cool to include that I think.

I agree. I believe 6 of the 13 offers were Early Decision (ED) applicants, so it seems they have started to officially send out letters. If I can remember from what I was told at the interview, I don't think ECU accepts more students than it can hold at any given time, so hopefully they will reflect the number offered versus the number accepted when they get up towards the limit (70+).

I have been complete with them since late September and I haven't heard a peep. What's up with that?

I interviewed Sept. 15 and I haven't heard anything either. I was told the day I interviewed that if I didn't hear by Thanksgiving that I should call.

Apparently applications go before the committee 4-6 weeks after an interview is conducted. During the interview day, they said that very few "final" decisions (ie acceptance/rejection) are made each time the committee meets, at least until later in the year. So if you haven't heard yet and you interviewed in early September or so, your app probably got "rolled"... and if you interviewed later they may not even have looked at you yet.

Yeah usually the applications go through multiple review groups before an acceptance is given - so there's still plenty of time. And it's still really early in the cycle. :thumbup:

I have been following this forum for a while now...
Question: Are we suppose to get a "complete" email?:eek: I did not get one but when I called in..I was told that my application is complete! It's been a while now! After how long should I hear about interview or anything at all?? Ahhh I seriously want an interview at the BSOM!!! Thank you :)

I have been following this forum for a while now...
Question: Are we suppose to get a "complete" email?:eek: I did not get one but when I called in..I was told that my application is complete! It's been a while now! After how long should I hear about interview or anything at all?? Ahhh I seriously want an interview at the BSOM!!! Thank you :)

I got the complete email two weeks ago, still haven't heard anything. I asked if second time apps take longer she said it depends whats changed...

I raised my GPA and also added over 50 hours of free clinic volunteering...

Man I want to stay in state so bad..

I'm a second time applicant and got the complete email about 2 weeks after I submitted and an invite 2 days after that.

ncguy... after you didn't get in last year, did you meet with the Dean of Admissions to go over the reasons why? I did that and at my interview they said they consider that when screening for re-applicants pre-interview and post-interview. If I had known that I definitely would have made more of a point to do that with all the other schools. I didn't with UNC and I still haven't heard back from them after I submitted my secondary.

I'm a second time applicant and got the complete email about 2 weeks after I submitted and an invite 2 days after that.

ncguy... after you didn't get in last year, did you meet with the Dean of Admissions to go over the reasons why? I did that and at my interview they said they consider that when screening for re-applicants pre-interview and post-interview. If I had known that I definitely would have made more of a point to do that with all the other schools. I didn't with UNC and I still haven't heard back from them after I submitted my secondary.

I think it's very helpful to meet with Deans, but I don't think it factors so hugely into whether they invite you for an interview or not. I did meet with the Dean of another school, but not ECU... mainly due to my semester getting pretty hectic. However still got an interview invite. What matters most is how much you have improved since the last cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.