2009-2010 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

For the 2009-2010 application cycle, please indicate activities, coursework, employment, or other occupations for that period to account for full-time involvement. (limit 2 lines)

What do you feel is your most significant non-academic accomplishment? (limit 5 lines)

What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (limit 8 lines)

LOR REQUIREMENT

A Pre-Health or Pre-Medical Committee Letter (required if available to you)

OR

Three individuals letters (with a maximum of 5), at least one of which must be from science faculty familiar with your
academic work.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
doesn't this school get the most application out of, like, everyone? where are all my fellow applicants? :D

looks like they send out the secondaries

Yah last year they got almost 14,000 applications, with drexel and gtown a close second. I really dont understand why everyone chooses GWU as their safety but w/e. I wouldnt mind going to GWU but its certainly a backup not a top choice. But if given limited alternatives i could be happy here. There are some good opportunities here that I am interested in. Id take GWU over a lot of other schools i applied to at least like NYMC of RFU...i hope i dont have to end up at these-_-

Members don't see this ad :)
hopefully the probation gets lifted soon.

is the secondary long since they get so many applicants?

is the secondary long since they get so many applicants?
they have some of the lowest stats of any md school that isnt a black or PR school, so thats part of the reason why it gets a lot. Everyone uses it as their safety like drexel.

they added an essay from last years :(..

They have some of the lowest stats of any md school that isnt a black or PR school, so thats part of the reason why it gets a lot. Everyone uses it as their safety like drexel.

they added an essay from last years :(..

It's actually a good essay. I've read some really WTF secondaries from other schools. Non-academic accomplishment? I'll give them plenty!

It's only 5 lines: prolly shouldn't even qualify as an essay haha

But are we allowed to turn that in like now? Or do we have to wait until the 24th?

It's only 5 lines: prolly shouldn't even qualify as an essay haha

But are we allowed to turn that in like now? Or do we have to wait until the 24th?

I won't turn it in without them having your primary in hand. You don't have a file yet. It might get lost or something.

It's actually a good essay. I've read some really WTF secondaries from other schools. Non-academic accomplishment? I'll give them plenty!
yah those essays i love and are easy, i just did it in like 10 mins lol. Oh well unlike most that apply I actually wouldnt mind ending up at GW:). Lets hope they get that feel from my app lol

wait do we have to fill this out by hand or is it doable online?

Members don't see this ad :)
wait do we have to fill this out by hand or is it doable online?

Its a fill-able pdf. I think we have to mail it to them? It doesnt say on the app. Though im trying to save the work i did and it wont let me-_-.........:mad:

I think you have to print and mail it. I would also like to attend this school due to location (Love DC). Do you know how we 'pay the secondary fee' if we have FAP?

I think you have to print and mail it. I would also like to attend this school due to location (Love DC). Do you know how we 'pay the secondary fee' if we have FAP?

On here it says they want documentation..Im going to call them and ask if they need us to print the conformation fap page, or if they will just see it on our app...

On here it says they want documentation..Im going to call them and ask if they need us to print the conformation fap page, or if they will just see it on our app...

okay - please post and let us know, thanks

okay - please post and let us know, thanks

ok so 1st off the lady was kinda clueless on the phone but was really nice...it seems no one knows wtf fap is, everytime i ask a dean or admissions office about it they are like WTF IS THAT FAP WHAT WHAT......I always feel like a ***** -_-. Anyways back on topic

They said that you need to send in the verification letter you get from amcas. basically when you log onto your fap account there should be something saying like application status approved, then go into a bunch of other stuff about the program. you just need to print that.

Its a fill-able pdf. I think we have to mail it to them? It doesnt say on the app. Though im trying to save the work i did and it wont let me-_-.........:mad:

You can't save the work on your computer. It says so on the tab above the pdf. I'm not sure why they have such restriction though.

Just curious do you need a passport for the application process? I have never gotten one but it seems like i need one maybe?

Just curious do you need a passport for the application process? I have never gotten one but it seems like i need one maybe?

Yes. It's required during the interview. You have the option of submitting it with your secondary or presented during your interview.

My school separates lectures and lab, issuing grades for both. I'm having a hard time entering them for the secondary. Anyone in similar situation? The space is not enough.

My school separates lectures and lab, issuing grades for both. I'm having a hard time entering them for the secondary. Anyone in similar situation? The space is not enough.
my school does the same thing, but only for some classes (not chem but for bio and physics)

however, I didn't try and fill out the application yet, so let me know what you figure out... maybe write it in if it really doesn't fit?

Yes. It's required during the interview. You have the option of submitting it with your secondary or presented during your interview.

dammit.........now i have to spend 165 dollars to get a passport:(

Are you guys going to include a picture with the secondary or wait?

Are you guys going to include a picture with the secondary or wait?

I'm including mine with my secondary. If you have a good-looking photo include it now. Every little bits might help. You never know who's looking at your file.;)

my school does the same thing, but only for some classes (not chem but for bio and physics)

however, I didn't try and fill out the application yet, so let me know what you figure out... maybe write it in if it really doesn't fit?

Figured it out. The secondary has separate rows(darkened rows) for the lab courses which can completed. My computer wasn't letting me type on it initially. Now it is.

I can't believe you guys are seriously sending this in now. Have they even officially sent anyone the secondary yet?

I can't believe you guys are seriously sending this in now. Have they even officially sent anyone the secondary yet?

im not sending it yet until i have been officially sent the invitation to. Id just rather fill it out now since i have time....1 down 44 to go :scared:

im not sending it yet until i have been officially sent the invitation to. Id just rather fill it out now since i have time....1 down 44 to go :scared:

quoted for emphasis

You can't submit the secondary until you actually pay the secondary fee online and get the code they give you.

Do you think they want your most significant non-academic accomplishment during college or in your entire life?

Do you think they want your most significant non-academic accomplishment during college or in your entire life?

it didnt say college so im going to go with no ;). Just keep it reasonable, they probably dont want ot hear about how the greatest accomplishment in your life was that time you built that playdoh sand castle and took a photo of it, of which you still draw inspiration from today:p. If something happened and you feel its important, and most importantly when you talk about it the interviewer or whoever can really get a feel for why you think its significant, id say you are fine. I wrote about something that happened in my gap years between HS and college.

Just a heads up to everyone applying:With 13,000 applications recieved, 12,000 is thrown out and only 1,000 applicants are interviewed. So make sure you fill your secondaries properly! Med school process is a crapshoot and don't think of any school as a safety net.

ok so 1st off the lady was kinda clueless on the phone but was really nice...it seems no one knows wtf fap is, everytime i ask a dean or admissions office about it they are like WTF IS THAT FAP WHAT WHAT......I always feel like a ***** -_-. Anyways back on topic

They said that you need to send in the verification letter you get from amcas. basically when you log onto your fap account there should be something saying like application status approved, then go into a bunch of other stuff about the program. you just need to print that.

On the box in the secondary which says Fee Payment code, should we just write see attached FAP? What do you thik

On the box in the secondary which says Fee Payment code, should we just write see attached FAP? What do you thik

the lady on the phone told me to write in amcas fee waiver.

It doesnt fit in the space. Just write it by hand I suppose?

I wrote "Fee waiver" in by hand. I dont think it really matters, its not like they will freak out that there is one item not typed out :p

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered...or it's a dumb one, but this is my first secondary I am working on (so I don't know how these work)

For the first question, do we just list the activities like

blah clinic, research at so and so, or do we make a complete sentence saying I am working at this institute and volunteering at this place. I figure there is only two lines, so do we need a complete sentence or just list them?

I apologize in advance if this question has been answered...or it's a dumb one, but this is my first secondary I am working on (so I don't know how these work)

blah clinic, research at so and so, or do we make a complete sentence saying I am working at this institute and volunteering at this place. I figure there is only two lines, so do we need a complete sentence or just list them?

list, theres not enough room to elaborate

In regards to to question #6, about misdemeanors:

On AMCAS it says specifically excluding anything in which you were a juvenille at the time, but this secondary does not specify that. Is it safe to assume we do not have to disclose anything that happened while we were a juvenille on this one as well?

(I didn't do anything that bad, but 17 year olds and motorcycles don't always mix well)

In regards to to question #6, about misdemeanors:

On AMCAS it says specifically excluding anything in which you were a juvenille at the time, but this secondary does not specify that. Is it safe to assume we do not have to disclose anything that happened while we were a juvenille on this one as well?

(I didn't do anything that bad, but 17 year olds and motorcycles don't always mix well)

you should disclose it (depending what it is i dont know your details) as if it pops up on a cbc and you didnt tell them, its not going to look good on your part if you know what i mean. you could call GWU also to get teh answer straight from the horses mouth, but id be inclined to include it so as to not screw yourself later.

you should disclose it (depending what it is i dont know your details) as if it pops up on a cbc and you didnt tell them, its not going to look good on your part if you know what i mean. you could call GWU also to get teh answer straight from the horses mouth, but id be inclined to include it so as to not screw yourself later.

Yeah, I am definitely going to call them, but getting a straight answer isn't always easy.

I might cough up the $150 and get a copy of the background check (through the company AMCAS emails you about), but even with that company when it asks, it says excluding if you were a juvenille. It sucks to have to pay for something else, but I rather do it now then after spending $4K on application fees.

I think I might need to sell a kidney to finance this application process.

Yeah, I am definitely going to call them, but getting a straight answer isn't always easy.

I might cough up the $150 and get a copy of the background check (through the company AMCAS emails you about), but even with that company when it asks, it says excluding if you were a juvenille. It sucks to have to pay for something else, but I rather do it now then after spending $4K on application fees.

I think I might need to sell a kidney to finance this application process.

Juvenile records don't show up on background checks since most of them are sealed. You can call your county office to ask if your record is sealed. Whether you put it on your application or not is up to you but the school gets 13,000 applications so they are looking for any reason to throw out an application.

Use a full sentence to elaborate the activity. The two lines provided can fit 3 sentences so you can list 3 activities.Ex: "Currently a full-time sales clerk at XXXX", "I'm interning at Smith and Burns biotech lab for animal research this summer".

for lisitng your plans...they can be tentative right? I mean im graduating this fall so i wrote down my classes, and after that Im going have to get 1-2 jobs so i just wrote that...but i dont know which job or anything because i will have to take anything that comes my way.

for lisitng your plans...they can be tentative right? I mean im graduating this fall so i wrote down my classes, and after that Im going have to get 1-2 jobs so i just wrote that...but i dont know which job or anything because i will have to take anything that comes my way.

I'd just list the classes and student activities you're involved in.You are finished with school by December right? So I won't put down prospective job offers since your interview will be scheduled before you even start the job. Only if the job starts in the summer should you put it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.