2009-2010 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. (700 character limit)

If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. (700 character limit)

List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college. (600 character limit)

Briefly Describe your most rewarding Experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud. (900 character limit)

If applicable, describe a situation where you were not in the majority. (1100 character limit)

Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (1100 character limit)

Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. (900 character limit)

LOR REQUIREMENT

Applicants attending colleges with premedical advisors or committees are required to send letters from these sources. Applicants attending colleges without premedical advisors or committees must send two letters of recommendation from senior faculty in science departments and a letter of recommendation from one non-science faculty. Applicants are invited to submit letters from additional faculty as well.

Note to applicants with a year or more of full-time employment or graduate studies: In addition to the required premedical letters, recommendations from supervisors or graduate faculty must also be submitted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey fellow Johns Hopkins Applicants!

So I did some research on secondaries this morning and here is what I found:

JHU's secondary is available online here. There is no screen for applicants.The application is not up as of yet, but when it is, we will create a user profile and login into the application that will be accessible on the above website. I am not sure if JHU will email us when the application is available online, but I'll be checking and I will post when I see that it is available. Just for reference, last year someone posted the secondary prompts on June 11th.

Best of luck this year. :luck:

looks like it's just you and me so far, ksmi :)

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, you're just saying that 'cause you know you've got better stats than me anyway :p

I don't know that. Besides, it's not like my stats look that much better if they are better. I doubt you'll have much to worry about when it comes to getting into schools.

I don't know that. Besides, it's not like my stats look that much better if they are better. I doubt you'll have much to worry about when it comes to getting into schools.

haha, thanks :)

last year's JHop secondary was kind of a beast... i'm curious to see if the brainstorming i've done for those questions will hold up this year :xf:

haha, thanks :)

last year's JHop secondary was kind of a beast... i'm curious to see if the brainstorming i've done for those questions will hold up this year :xf:

Oh yeah. Totally agree. It was out real early last year. Hopefully, it will be this year too. :)

i don't even know why i added this school to my list... i can dream right? 3.47 and 36, any shot at all?

i don't even know why i added this school to my list... i can dream right? 3.47 and 36, any shot at all?

With that GPA id doubt it, i mean this is JHU. Though i certainly dont see why you wouldnt get in this cycle with the improving you have done.

well at least you're being honest... lol

i was just so excited from improving 5 pts that i started adding a lot of schools that i wouldn't dream of applying to with a 31... plus, with the way things have worked out for some people (or so I've heard) you really NEVER know... but in any case good luck to all you *competitive* applicants :)

I wonder what proportion of SDN gets into a top 10 relative to the same for the general pool of applicants...

I wish the JHU secondary would be all available and such now. It was available a week after submission day last year. Why not this year? JHU is one of my top choices (I don't have any one top choice), so I'm particularly anxious about it. Also, I read the 2008-2009 JHU thread and apparently the school expects no waitlist movement this year because so many people who were accepted chose to pick JHU. That makes me nervous. It's like most schools have at least some movement. :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys--there are couple of us now MS2's (just done MS1!) who pop in from time to time to say hi. So hi! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and we'll try to get back to you as quickly and honestly as possible.

I just wanted to comment on the lack of waitlist movement--Hopkins usually starts up a little late, but we're attributing it to the awesome revisit weekend our classmates organized--and also the new curriculum and brand-spanking-new teaching building (it's gorgeous). So, lots of exciting stuff for people to want to choose to come here. It's a little sad for the people on the waitlist now because I was a waitlist acceptance and this definitely is the school for me!

With that GPA id doubt it, i mean this is JHU. Though i certainly dont see why you wouldnt get in this cycle with the improving you have done.

Also, contrary to popular belief, Hopkins isn't completely stats-driven (and don't even get me started on the competitiveness myth). From talking with my classmates and just hearing about their experiences before medical school (and the fact they're all amazing people), it seems that being able to do really well on tests is NOT an automatic acceptance. We all had great extracurriculars, volunteering, travel, gumption, etc. that seemed to be what made the difference in the admissions process here, rather than just numbers. Many of us don't have the crazy stats that other schools seem to require. So if you feel that a challenging new curriculum, a focus on research, tons of early clinical exposure, and brilliant (and good-looking) classmates is for you, I urge you to at least take a chance.

And 1/4-Dr. AWall, feel free to chime in. I know you're out there, fellow sdn lurker ;)

Hey guys--there are couple of us now MS2's (just done MS1!) who pop in from time to time to say hi. So hi! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and we'll try to get back to you as quickly and honestly as possible.

:hello: I'm sure we will have lots of questions!

Also, contrary to popular belief, Hopkins isn't completely stats-driven (and don't even get me started on the competitiveness myth). From talking with my classmates and just hearing about their experiences before medical school (and the fact they're all amazing people), it seems that being able to do really well on tests is NOT an automatic acceptance. We all had great extracurriculars, volunteering, travel, gumption, etc. that seemed to be what made the difference in the admissions process here, rather than just numbers. Many of us don't have the crazy stats that other schools seem to require. So if you feel that a challenging new curriculum, a focus on research, tons of early clinical exposure, and brilliant (and good-looking) classmates is for you, I urge you to at least take a chance.

And 1/4-Dr. AWall, feel free to chime in. I know you're out there, fellow sdn lurker ;)

Oh, now you have me worried - not that I wasn't worried before. It's not like I'm counting on my numbers to get me in anywhere, but I feel like my outside experiences aren't that super outstanding. I've done a lot of stuff, but I haven't done anything really different. I did volunteering (mostly non-medical), clinical stuff, research (math-related), lots of student orgs (and lots of leadership in them), but nothing really out there. I feel like there's nothing that makes me stand out on its own. :(

I just wanted to comment on the lack of waitlist movement--Hopkins usually starts up a little late, but we're attributing it to the awesome revisit weekend our classmates organized--and also the new curriculum and brand-spanking-new teaching building (it's gorgeous). So, lots of exciting stuff for people to want to choose to come here. It's a little sad for the people on the waitlist now because I was a waitlist acceptance and this definitely is the school for me!

So...stories i've heard are from older people who used library books (*chuckle*). Apparently students would tear pages out of the only textbook required for a class (or whatever) just so no one else could read it...anything like that anymore?

Also, JHU supposedly treats residents as slaves...dont know about rumors for med students though...

Can you clarify any of this?

I've heard things like that about the undergrad library, but I think it's all urban legend/sour grapes. None of the books I've ever checked out were missing pages.

I can't really comment on the workload of the housestaff or upper class students--it seems everyone is tired but happy to be doing what they're doing (like all medical personnel probably are).

We did get the opportunity to shadow an upper-class student in the wards (highly recommend!) and everyone seemed pretty chill and friendly...even surgical interns (and the MS4). Obviously, people's experiences can vary.

Soo...hope that helped.

I talked to a resident at SFGH recently, and she told me that the doctors minted by JHU are THE best. They have great work ethic, no egotistical attitude, etc...

so what's the verdict on that "if applicable" question from last year?

is it really truly optional? looked at last year's thread but it didn't mention too much about it....

any ideas?

Last edited:
so what's the verdicton that "if applicable" question from last year?

is it really truly optional? looked at last year's thread but it didn't mention too much about it....

any ideas?

I think that question is applicable to everyone. Everyone's been in the minority in some way or another.

List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college. (600 char)

Would you guys list Dean's List? if yes, would you say Dean's List ( 5 semesters) or we need to list like
Dean's List (Spring 2008, Fall 2008 etc)?

List any academic honors or awards you have received since entering college. (600 char)

Would you guys list Dean's List? if yes, would you say Dean's List ( 5 semesters) or we need to list like
Dean's List (Spring 2008, Fall 2008 etc)?

If you have room, go for it. And I'd say the first one to save space. :)

I think that question is applicable to everyone. Everyone's been in the minority in some way or another.
Yea, but would they really want to hear about that time that Sally was at a school club's meeting and she wanted the pink decorations and everyone else wanted orange.

Ok, extreme example but I feel like anytime that I've been in the minority doesn't compare to anyone who truly has come from a disadvantaged background or is a minority, and I'm a minority in my town.

Any thoughts?

what about Honor's Day?

Not a clue what that is.

Yea, but would they really want to hear about that time that Sally was at a school club's meeting and she wanted the pink decorations and everyone else wanted orange.

Ok, extreme example but I feel like anytime that I've been in the minority doesn't compare to anyone who truly has come from a disadvantaged background or is a minority, and I'm a minority in my town.

Any thoughts?

Idk, if you feel like your minority has never affected you substantially and that you'd be complaining, you could leave it blank. It's so hard to tell what they want from these questions. Whether it's to see that we can handle being different or actually to see if we were disadvantaged in some aspect. Bleh. Be more specific with all your vague questions, med schools. :mad:

Not a clue what that is.

Idk, if you feel like your minority has never affected you substantially and that you'd be complaining, you could leave it blank. It's so hard to tell what they want from these questions. Whether it's to see that we can handle being different or actually to see if we were disadvantaged in some aspect. Bleh. Be more specific with all your vague questions, med schools. :mad:

agreed.:(

Well I guess I have no real shot at JHU anyway....

If they say "if applicable" then I'm just gonna take it at that (I have a feeling that'll be the least of the reasons I get rejected :laugh:)

I just checked my login for the JHU secondary. It doesn't seem like it is up yet. Are you guys just talking about last year's questions or have they put up the 2010 app and I just can't see it??

Just to clarify a bit more on the competitiveness and apparent 'cut-throat-ness' that Hopkins is infamous more, I should add that it is nothing like this here. I have been here for about 4 years now, first as an undergrad and then as a Master's student in the most competitive major around. I agree there are people who are sorta secretive and keep to themselves but they are just a minority and I am sure they exist at other schools too.

From my personal experience, people are willing to help you, people in the labs are always willing to mentor younger students and collaboration is highly encouraged in every field right from social events to academics. That being said, Life in Baltimore is what you make of it. If you have a good circle of friends, I see no problem being happy here.

I am now applying to med schools and Hopkins is certainly one of my top choices to go to. Also, they are not all about stats - Some of my friends have gotten interviews and acceptances to JHU without 3.7's or higher but really strong experiences so no one should feel worried about applying here with a 3.4-3.5 and 32+ MCAT.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions about the research, student life, etc. I'll be more than happy to answer. :)

Last edited:
Just to clarify a bit more on the competitiveness and apparent 'cut-throat-ness' that Hopkins is infamous more, I should add that it is nothing like this here. I have been here for about 4 years now, first as an undergrad and then as a Master's student in the most competitive major around. I agree there are people who are sorta secretive and keep to themselves but they are just a minority and I am sure they exist at other schools too.

From my personal experience, people are willing to help you, people in the labs are always willing to mentor younger students and collaboration is highly encouraged in every field right from social events to academics. That being said, Life in Baltimore is what you make of it. If you have a good circle of friends, I see no problem being happy here.

I am now applying to med schools and Hopkins is certainly one of my top choices to go to. Also, they are not all about stats - Some of my friends have gotten interviews and acceptances to JHU without 3.7's or higher but really strong experiences so no one should feel worried about applying here with a 3.4-3.5 and 32+ MCAT.

Let me know if you guys have any other questions about the research, student life, etc. I'll be more than happy to answer. :)

Are you in the BME program? How is it? I was REALLY close to attending for undergrad, but chickened out last-minute (too scared to go east coast haha)

yep I am in the BME program. Its pretty neat and we got to choose our focus and tailor our undergrad degree ourselves. I think I made the right choice coming here for undergrad.

yep I am in the BME program. Its pretty neat and we got to choose our focus and tailor our undergrad degree ourselves. I think I made the right choice coming here for undergrad.

haha that's good to hear. I never knew how competitive it is to get into that program; if I had known, I probably would've given it more thought. Oh well! can't change that now! I'll just go there for med school!

Secondary is Up:

1. Briefly Describe your most rewarding Experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud. This space is limited to 900 characters.

2. Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. This space is limited to 1100 characters.

3. Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. This space is limited to 900 characters.

4. Applicable, describe a situation where you were not in the majority.
This space is limited to 1100 characters.

LOR: Committee Letter or 3 letters from faculty (2 Science 1 Nonscience)

Has anyone received an email from them yet?

Secondary is Up:

1. Briefly Describe your most rewarding Experience or some achievement of which you are particularly proud. This space is limited to 900 characters.

2. Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. This space is limited to 1100 characters.

3. Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. This space is limited to 900 characters.

4. Applicable, describe a situation where you were not in the majority.
This space is limited to 1100 characters.

LOR: Committee Letter or 3 letters from faculty (2 Science 1 Nonscience)

where in the application are all those questions I just see basic info questions

The essays are in the other interest and activities section at the bottom.

FOUR essays? Thats more than a little bit absurd.

It's JHU though... It's like buying a Bentley. It'll take you from point A to point B, but it's the feeling you can draw from driving it.

sorry if this is naive, but is this app we are all working on considered Hopkins "secondary" or are we going to get another one once our AMCAS is verified?

is anyone else having trouble copying and pasting essays from Word onto the secondary? I've tried two computers and it wont let me paste.

Also, is the fourth essay about being in the minority optional? I feel that I kind of addressed that question in my adversity essay.

Last edited:
I'm annoyed by having to put all my AMCAS experiences into this app too. But I only have to finish up my minority essay and I'll be done. :)

seems like i'm getting secondaries later than most other people..
havn't received e-mail from JHU yet

Status
Not open for further replies.