2009-2010 Michigan State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

1. Discuss a time when you stepped out of your comfort zone. What were the challenges? What did you learn? (1900 character limit)

2. Describe a personally rewarding experience. What did you learn about yourself through this experience? Do not reiterate any experience already discussed in detail within your AMCAS application (including your personal statement or your experiences) or above in Question One. (1900 character limit)

3. If you could present yourself to the Committee on Admissions, what would you want to make sure they knew about you? (1900 character limit)

LOR Reqs

CHM requires a minimum of three and a maximum of five letters of evaluation.

A committee letter, authored by a prehealth committee or prehealth advisor and intended to represent your institution's evaluation of you, counts as one letter.

A letter packet containing three to five letters, one of which may be a committee letter, will meet our requirements.

Letters of evaluation should follow these guidelines:

• All letters should be from individuals who know you well.

• Letters should be submitted on college/university or business letterhead and must contain clear and current contact information for the author.

• One letter must be from a basic science or medical science professor who can critically evaluate your academic potential, maturity, strengths and weaknesses, and the difficulty of coursework, if applicable. Comments that expand beyond what may be reflected by your grade in the class or address any special achievements or attributes are desirable.

• One letter must address personal experiences and characteristics that will help CHM to develop an overall portrait of you. A letter based upon direct interaction with you and addressing qualities such as maturity, empathy, character, reliability, interpersonal skills, and any special attributes or experiences will be the most helpful.

• Your additional letter(s) may be from individuals from an academic, clinical, employment, research, or volunteer setting. People who know you well and who can attest to your character and abilities based upon their personal experience with you will be the most meaningful.

• It is highly desirable that at least one letter is written by someone who has observed you in a clinical setting.

• If you are currently enrolled in a graduate program or a professional school, one of your letters must be from a faculty member at your graduate or professional school.

• If you are currently enrolled in a postbaccalaureate program or taking postbac classes, one of your letters must be from a postbac program faculty member.

• A letter from a graduate assistant will be accepted only if cosigned by the faculty member.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know but I applied here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone applying to the Rural Physician program at MSUCHM? Is it harder to get into this program as opposed to getting into the regular MD program?

Anyone applying to the Rural Physician program at MSUCHM? Is it harder to get into this program as opposed to getting into the regular MD program?

I will be applying to that program. Two friends of mine were accepted to MSU-CHM's rural physician program, but neither matriculated there.

What a lame email
Thank you for your interest in MSU CHM. We have received your verified AMCAS application and will communicate with you by email by the end of July.

For detailed information about the MSU CHM admissions process, please visit our Current Applicants web page at http://mdadmissions.msu.edu/main/currapp.htm. Please note that this is not a direct link - you need to copy and paste the URL into your web browser address bar.

CHM Office of Admissions

I got the same email, took me a while to figure out what MSU CHM stands for :p

What the hell is the point of sending this email?

It's like, "we are sending you an email now to remind you that we will send you another email next month."

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be applying to that program. Two friends of mine were accepted to MSU-CHM's rural physician program, but neither matriculated there.

Do you know what their stats were? And what are the extra essays that we'll have to write?

I'm pretty sure the way it works is-
You apply to the med school like everyone else, and have to get accepted to the med school like everyone else. Then once admitted they'll consider you for the Rural Physician program. You can submit your extra essays at the time of the secondary or later on if you change your mind after that. They take a certain fixed number of students every year, so how 'competitive' it is just depends on how many people admitted to the class are interested in the program. If you don't get accepted to the RPP you're still accepted to the school and will simply be placed at a different community campus.

Do you know what their stats were? And what are the extra essays that we'll have to write?

One scored a 29 and the other a 31. I am pretty sure their GPA's were over 3.5 (including science).

I am not sure what the essay was (or is) for the program.

I also received that e-mail. It made me laugh.

This place is so expensive. It's like 54,000 a year for OOS.:(

I'm a re-applying this year, but this would be my first application to this school. My stats are high compared to their average (don't mean to brag), so I don't know if it's worth applying? Would they even consider me? I had no luck with schools within my GPA/MCAT range in the last round, though I applied to quite a few.

Does anyone know if the Grand Rapids campus construction is complete and will they be starting a 4 year medical program in Fall 2010 as planned? Can you apply directly to the Grand Rapids program, or just to MSU, then hope to get placed there?

Does anyone know if the Grand Rapids campus construction is complete and will they be starting a 4 year medical program in Fall 2010 as planned? Can you apply directly to the Grand Rapids program, or just to MSU, then hope to get placed there?

You apply to MSU and hope to get placed there if that is where you want. It's like UIC.

Has anyone received a secondary yet?!

I was verified 7/10, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Did everyone get an email acknowledgment? I haven't gotten that either.

I was verified 7/10, but I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Did everyone get an email acknowledgment? I haven't gotten that either.

they sent an email telling us to expect a secondary. quite a while ago.

The Grand Rapids construction is on schedule to be completed June 2010. You can see the progress and some renderings here: http://humanmedicine.msu.edu/secchiacenter/index.asp

Starting with the entering class of 2010, the expanded class of 200 will be split in half for preclinical years - 100 in Grand Rapids and 100 in East Lansing. Clinical years take place in seven community campuses (GR, EL, Kalamazoo, Marquette, Saginaw, Flint, Traverse City), as it has always been at MSU.

And the above poster was right, you apply to the school and then get placed at a campus. Traditionally you've been able to preference which campus you want to be at but I'm not sure exactly what they'll be doing with the final stage of the expansion.

they sent an email telling us to expect a secondary. quite a while ago.

Is this the same email as "Thank you for your interest in MSU CHM. We have received your verified AMCAS application and will communicate with you by email by the end of July.." ??

I have still not received the secondary yet and am still anxious to hear back from them.

Is this the same email as "Thank you for your interest in MSU CHM. We have received your verified AMCAS application and will communicate with you by email by the end of July.." ??

I have still not received the secondary yet and am still anxious to hear back from them.

The same email. Let's wait a little more.

according to their website, secondaries will be active no later than July 31.

Just received their secondary invite link.

Heck yes!!!!

got this too, but can't log in........

Love their email title: Secondary Application Fee. It's like, first you PAY!!

Is anyone having trouble logging in? I created got my ID and password but when I tried to log in, an error message pops up.

got this too, but can't log in........

ditto. And they expect us to finish this within 2 weeks of receiving the email. How can we if we can't log in?

I was planning on getting this out by tonight.

Love their email title: Secondary Application Fee. It's like, first you PAY!!
Its rough when you have to pay an $85 fee for them to even look at your application and make sure you make the minimum requirements. Its REALLY rough when you have to pay before you even get the secondary

Its rough when you have to pay an $85 fee for them to even look at your application and make sure you make the minimum requirements. Its REALLY rough when you have to pay before you even get the secondary

It's rough that OOS has to pay like, what, almost $60,000? I found out after I submitted my AMCAS. I might not even apply here.

ditto. And they expect us to finish this within 2 weeks of receiving the email. How can we if we can't log in?

I was planning on getting this out by tonight.

I'll be calling them monday morning if this persists...maybe I should try now, it seems there is probably someone still there since I got this email within the last 20 minutes.

I'm confused...is it took weeks just to submit the online secondary? Or do letters have to get there within two weeks as well...because if that's the case, that's might not happen for me.

I'm confused...is it took weeks just to submit the online secondary? Or do letters have to get there within two weeks as well...because if that's the case, that's might not happen for me.

As I understand the email, you have two weeks to pay your secondary fee and set up your account. Then you have 2 weeks from the date you get the fee in to submit the secondary. I would assume that they mean everything has to be in by then. So if you waited two weeks from today to pay the fee, then you'd have a total of 4 weeks before having to actually get it turned in.

I can't log in either :(

I get this error:
ERROR> No info returned for applicant [email protected] Retval from up_get_applicant_info is: 0

usually it is just secondary, but you won't be complete until letters arrive. They said you need to submit within 2 weeks, not be complete. Call and ask if worried though.

I can't log in either :(

I get this error:
ERROR> No info returned for applicant [email protected] Retval from up_get_applicant_info is: 0

ok, it's not just me. so their website says the secondary is available july 31, that they will EMAIL you the link....but a bunch of us already got the link and paid the fee....so are we supposed to be able to submit the secondary? i got the same error message.....

wtf why are there are so many issues with online secondaries? this is so annoying

Status
Not open for further replies.