2009-2010 University of California - San Diego (UCSD) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Autobiograpical Sketch
This should be a true autobiographical statement. Topics to be included are family, childhood, primary and secondary school years, early adult years, and future career goals in medicine. You should also discuss the motivational factors which led you to a career in medicine including any disadvantages or obstacles which might put your accomplishments into context. A repeat of your AMCAS statement will not be acceptable. (Limit 7500 characters)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
only when UCSD shows ME some love. anyone know people who have got in from OOS? how baller do you have to be?

i dont know anyone but honestly they do take oos its just more that cali students are more likely to matriculate. As cali students every single one of us would jump at the chance of a UC no matter what it is just to stay here (most of us anyways). One of my friends got into duke, unc, etc etc...top programs around the country and in the end he chose UCI over all of them. All because he wanted to stay home and no other UC took him. As an oos if you get accepted into UCSD you are probably a very competitive applicant and hold acceptances at other top schools also, but are not near as likely to matriculate into UCSD as someone who is an IS applicant. Just my 2 cents...i remember shemarty saying something like the IS/OOS rates were 60/40 at UCSF and UCLA, but they come out to be 80/20 due to what i said above. Id assume UCSD is similar in that regard unlike UCI and UCD which are not very oos friendly. You have to be baller period to get into UCSD anyways! :)

looking at your stats id say you are "baller" anyways with not much to worry about on paper at least;)

I heard UCSD is pretty stats-heavy. The entering class profile is as good as UCSF.:scared:

yep! thats y i am pretty much just waiting to be screened out..
lol hey some people with like 29 mcats got accepted last year theres always hope. Sometimes the 4.0 36 mcat ppl are scary and boring resulting in rejections! :). In fact most i meet are they have zero social skills and are quite awkward lol.

im hoping the UC's will actually READ my application :xf:

only when UCSD shows ME some love. anyone know people who have got in from OOS? how baller do you have to be?

LAman, you look pretty good on paper. I don't know how UCSD decides who to give a secondary to, but if numbers are weighted heavily, you'll hopefully make the first cut.

After that, you need to convince them that you're serious about coming to CA. A lot of OOS applicants are accepted but choose not to matriculate. The UCs are just as expensive as any other school for an OOS student, so do you have a compelling reason to go?

Silverlining, do you know any more about this? Do a lot of the OOS students have family ties in CA? Or is it purely baller-ness?

LAman, you look pretty good on paper. I don't know how UCSD decides who to give a secondary to, but if numbers are weighted heavily, you'll hopefully make the first cut.

After that, you need to convince them that you're serious about coming to CA. A lot of OOS applicants are accepted but choose not to matriculate. The UCs are just as expensive as any other school for an OOS student, so do you have a compelling reason to go?

Silverlining, do you know any more about this? Do a lot of the OOS students have family ties in CA? Or is it purely baller-ness?

Thanks for the encouragement haha. Actually I go to school at a UC right now and I do have family in San Diego (which is part of the reason why I'm interested in UCSD). I also have a sibling who is an undergrad there. But if I was ever in a position to convince them that I want to go to UCSD (like maybe at an interview), are those really the kinds of reasons I should give? Or would they much rather want to hear about why I like the school/curriculum/opportunities/etc.? I've always wondered about this with schools

Thanks for the encouragement haha. Actually I go to school at a UC right now and I do have family in San Diego (which is part of the reason why I'm interested in UCSD). I also have a sibling who is an undergrad there. But if I was ever in a position to convince them that I want to go to UCSD (like maybe at an interview), are those really the kinds of reasons I should give? Or would they much rather want to hear about why I like the school/curriculum/opportunities/etc.? I've always wondered about this with schools

Depends on the family, i mean are your parents there, or wife, or someone whos along those lines? If its just like my second cousin twice removed lived there i mean really is that all that compelling? No its not as many will have family all over the US when it comes to cousins or others who you dont really know well. I mean i have cousins and the like in hawaii, idaho, IL, and VA, but its certainly not compelling enough to go there. Family is certainly a legitimate reason to want to come to a school but you also need much more then that, whihc is where opportunities/cirriculum/opportunities come into play. If family really is important its not bad to mention it, i would just mention it along with the other things that are important to the school

ohhh Best weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
UC show me some love.....................

got an acknowledgment of receipt just now!

I quote:
.Dear Medical School Applicant,

UCSD School of Medicine has received your verified AMCAS application. At the close of business today, you will be able to track the status of your application on our website:

http://meded.ucsd.edu/asa/admissions/applicant_status/ .
. .
.Please note: It is your responsibility to periodically check this website for any changes in your status... This website is updated daily and will provide you with the most current information available. Please also note that the purpose of this email is to inform you that we are in receipt of your AMCAS application and additional screening will be done to determine if you are eligible for a Secondary Application. The initial screening for the possible secondary application can take roughly 6-8 weeks. Should you be approved for a Secondary Application, we will notify you at that time via email. Please do not send letters of recommendation unless you have been approved for a secondary application.

Please add the UCSD School of Medicine domain to your safe list (particularly Hotmail and Yahoo users) or make sure you regularly check your junk mailfor any filtered email.

It is also your responsibility to ensure that the Admissions Office has your current and correct contact information (preferred address, email,phone number). Any changes to this information should be submitted to AMCAS and emailed to us at: [email protected].

You may contact us by phone at 858.534.3880 or by email at [email protected] should you have further questions.

Admissions Office
UCSD School of Medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
ahhh an email from UCSD i hope they send me a secondary...they are at least reviewing apps now :). I guess I look forward to a rejection? lol id be so shocked if they even sent me a secondary...so scared no UC will let me in :(

ahhh an email from UCSD i hope they send me a secondary...they are at least reviewing apps now :). I guess I look forward to a rejection? lol id be so shocked if they even sent me a secondary...so scared no UC will let me in :(
I logged into the status page after I got the email and my status from 2007 was still there. Before I saw the date, I was like final decision sent already?! FML.

I logged into the status page after I got the email and my status from 2007 was still there. Before I saw the date, I was like final decision sent already?! FML.
haha...at the end of the day (another hour or so) it should be up and ready, thats what my email said.

God, I thought that email was about secondary. I was so happy at first.:laugh:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UCSD sent me a secondary!!! i'm SO stoked right now:D i thought they weren't coming out until mid july??

UCSD is sending emails for Approval of Secondary Application. My status page doesn't show it yet, probably be up by the end of the day.

I got my secondary!!!! Do they screen?

did u guys get an email about the secondary? or jsut change in status page?

wow so fast! i wasnt expecting the UC's to come out so soon..

do you guys know if rejections come around the same time as secondaries if they screen you out?!

kinda hard to keep my hopes up for this one :xf:

Yup, they do:)

does anyone know what percentage of applicants get secondaries?

From their website:

We received 5566 applications for the entering class of 2008.

We invited 1992 applicants to submit secondary applications for the entering class of 2008.

Maybe tomorrow? Remember almost 2000 got invitations. They can't send everything today, you know.
hmm true but im probably in a similar batch of apps that they reviewed as you were. If i dont hear back soon id probably assume rejection. UCSD and UCSF are the UCs i know i have zero chance at...so it wouldnt really surprise me if they reject me asap lol.

From their initial email yesterday:

The initial screening for the possible secondary application can take roughly 6-8 weeks.

Keep your hopes up, elijah.:)

From their initial email yesterday:

The initial screening for the possible secondary application can take roughly 6-8 weeks.

Keep your hopes up, elijah.:)
hey i just realized something...you got a secondary before me for once:smuggrin:

hmm true but im probably in a similar batch of apps that they reviewed as you were. If i dont hear back soon id probably assume rejection. UCSD and UCSF are the UCs i know i have zero chance at...so it wouldnt really surprise me if they reject me asap lol.

Don't give up hope yet-- they cut so many applicants out of secondaries that this can't possibly just be an academic screen. They must be looking more closely at applications than that, and you know that you have a compelling story to tell. :)

did u get it to? Do they still have the same questions as last year?

Yep, I got it. It's the same autobiographical sketch as last year... and like twelve other beastly sections, but no other essays.

Yep, I got it. It's the same autobiographical sketch as last year... and like twelve other beastly sections, but no other essays.
ahhh so jealous of you both...ive been checking my email while watching family guy for like 20 mins now lol....hoping...time to stop i guess :)

ahhh so jealous of you both...ive been checking my email while watching family guy for like 20 mins now lol....hoping...time to stop i guess :)

don't worry so much. I wouldn't be surprised if you get it the next few days.:)

I think UCSD will send it out in two batches. I've been told that anyone above a certain mcat/GPA threshold gets a secondary automatically, and everyone else is given an actual read-over before they decide whether or not to give you a secondary.

Wow, this secondary is totally tasteless. 11 sections?! This is like filling out a new AMCAS. What the hell.

Wow, this secondary is totally tasteless. 11 sections?! This is like filling out a new AMCAS. What the hell.

It's worse. At least the primary information seems relevant to medical school.

Yeah and it can be used for multiple schools. This one is good for one school only.:(
hey you have a chance to be at what i would consider the 2nd best UC med school...id just be happy they even gave it to you!:p

what's first, elijah?
UCSF...I know most would choose LA over SD but not me :). This is just my personal rankings not usnews or w/e...the difference in quality between ucsd and la is negligible imo.

UCSF...I know most would choose LA over SD but not me :). This is just my personal rankings not usnews or w/e...the difference in quality between ucsd and la is negligible imo.

I think average stats for LA is lower than SD.:thumbup: I like LA better though. I'd swap LA for SD anytime.

how come you like SD over LA?

Status
Not open for further replies.