2009-2010 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in health care, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office.

Due to the volume of applications we receive, publications or manuscripts will not be included in your application file, and cannot be returned if sent. Instead, please submit abstracts or other brief descriptions of your work.

How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician? Limit 250 words.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
i would love to get in here too, the encourage ppl with disadvantage background/URM :)

Members don't see this ad :)
True, most of the people they accept are in-state, but they DO accept OOS applicants too! :)
yah but only 5% of the class....thats sad lol...i do want to go here a lot though maybe ill apply and see if i can be one of the lucky 20 or so kids who gets in.I think i can still add schools after submission right?

yah but only 5% of the class....thats sad lol...i do want to go here a lot though maybe ill apply and see if i can be one of the lucky 20 or so kids who gets in.I think i can still add schools after submission right?

Oh yeah! From what I understand, you can add schools up until each individual schools deadline... for the low, low price of only $35 per school ;)

Well Ive heard that for an OOS they are really only looking for URMs, but does that also count those who are disadvantaged? I filled out that essay on the primary app but i dont want to waste money if they are just going to screen me out. Last year someone here had a 3.8 and 38 mcat and they said he didnt meet the OOS requirements....so i know its gotta deal with URMs or something...im disadvantaged but not a URM...is it a waste of time then?

Well Ive heard that for an OOS they are really only looking for URMs, but does that also count those who are disadvantaged? I filled out that essay on the primary app but i dont want to waste money if they are just going to screen me out. Last year someone here had a 3.8 and 38 mcat and they said he didnt meet the OOS requirements....so i know its gotta deal with URMs or something...im disadvantaged but not a URM...is it a waste of time then?

UW will take out of state if you have significant experience working with underserved populations. Even if you make it to the interview stage, it's still a killer. 3000 OOS applied in 2008, only 10 matriculated. The numbers are rough.

im in the same boat! i kinda wish i left the race/ethnicity part blank so i wont get screened out =(

UW will take out of state if you have significant experience working with underserved populations. Even if you make it to the interview stage, it's still a killer. 3000 OOS applied in 2008, only 10 matriculated. The numbers are rough.
I remember them saying they interviewed about 100 OOS... does that ring true Nina?

I remember them saying they interviewed about 100 OOS... does that ring true Nina?
last year they interviewed 156 OOS and 21 matriculated (8 of those 21 were md/phd). That being said i cant imagine a lot of people turn them down who get an OOS interview/acceptance either. So id say those numbers are pretty close to how many were accepted.

Its onlt 31 more dollars so i guess i might as well add it. If i get screened out o well. If i add the school now, does that make any delays in verification or sending out my apps somehow? Im already verified and i assume my apps will go out this wed like others.

hey Ami! I also thought they interviewed right about 100, but the guy below's comment about 150 could be true too.

hey Ami! I also thought they interviewed right about 100, but the guy below's comment about 150 could be true too.
I just wrote what they had in the 2010-2011 msar. Maybe what you had was from a previous year or something? Either way both numbers basically show how near impossible it is to get in as an OOS.

Members don't see this ad :)
when is the secondary going to come out for UW?

Hi all,

I just got my UW secondary today by email. I am from a WWAMI state, so I don't know if this means I get secondaries sooner than others, but I think it does.

Happy Hunting

Hi all,

I just got my UW secondary today by email. I am from a WWAMI state, so I don't know if this means I get secondaries sooner than others, but I think it does.

Happy Hunting

I got an e-mail saying they will ask me for secondary stuff if necessary. the e-mail just says they have started reviewing my app. UW! YAY!

I just got rejected :(

they said I didn't meet the requirements for OOS.

sadness. but I didn't have much of a shot anyway...

I just got a secondary also. I am from a WWAMI state too so maybe that is why. It says to have a brief autobiographical statement which sounds EXACTLY like our PS. It says your PS can fulfill this but are most people writing an additional one or not?

I just got rejected :(

they said I didn't meet the requirements for OOS.

sadness. but I didn't have much of a shot anyway...

whoaa that was fast.. i guess i should be expecting mine soon :(

lol, i remember this last year.

didn't their site specifically state that they do NOT accept any apps from non-WWAMI applicants?

WWAMI applicants that are not from the state of washington are probably accounted for as OOS and they say that they accept 10-15 MD/PhD, which means around 60 - 80 interviews from them.

so if you want to apply to Hawaii or UWash for funsies, :)

is there anyone else out there other than me and cetsiphon that got secondaries because i need some advice on part of it! if you have gotten the secondary PLEASE PM me! thx!

So i just talked to my WWAMI office here in AK and they said it would take a month to verify my eligibility (AK residency). THAT IS RIDICULOUS! do they not realize how fast most secondaries get turned in? ugh...

Does anyone know if UW gives any preference to OOS applicants that did their undergrad at UW???

i just got my secondary from UW today. woohoo! first screened secondary I have received. i'm from a non-WWAMI state (CA) but I grew up in WA. think that counts for anything?

i guess i fill it out, send a $35 check and wait to get rejected now? hah.

i just got my secondary from UW today. woohoo! first screened secondary I have received. i'm from a non-WWAMI state (CA) but I grew up in WA. think that counts for anything?

i guess i fill it out, send a $35 check and wait to get rejected now? hah.

nice congrats! & y would u get rejected? with those stats im sure you'll be fine! i got acknowledged but no secondary yet!

I just got rejected as well. x_x

Someone should've told me beforehand that they don't really accept people outside of WWAMI... I really wanted to go here, but at least I could've saved $30ish if I knew.

I just got a secondary also. I am from a WWAMI state too so maybe that is why. It says to have a brief autobiographical statement which sounds EXACTLY like our PS. It says your PS can fulfill this but are most people writing an additional one or not?

I'm using only my PS for that section... it addresses everything they wanted to know in the 'brief autobiography.'

Does anyone know much about the Washington TRUST program through UWSOM though? I've been looking for information, and all I can find is the Montana WWAMI information!

I'm applying to UW this summer as well but as a WA resident. I was forced to take my MCATs August 5th however because of some scheduling issues with the rest of my life and hearing that people are already getting secondaries makes me very nervous about not having my MCAT scores sent in until early September. Anyone have any idea if this is as big a deal as I am worrying it is? I am sending my transcripts in along with the completed AMCAs application by the end of this month after I finish my summer physics course but it will still be September 9th before those MCAT scores are back!!

I'm applying to UW this summer as well but as a WA resident. I was forced to take my MCATs August 5th however because of some scheduling issues with the rest of my life and hearing that people are already getting secondaries makes me very nervous about not having my MCAT scores sent in until early September. Anyone have any idea if this is as big a deal as I am worrying it is? I am sending my transcripts in along with the completed AMCAs application by the end of this month after I finish my summer physics course but it will still be September 9th before those MCAT scores are back!!

If everything has been verified by AMCAS by the time you get your MCAT scores back then you should be fine. Mid-September you would get a secondary, and as long as your LORs were ready you could submit the secondary in September. So you wouldn't be too late. Go kill the MCAT! :)

Does anyone know much about the Washington TRUST program through UWSOM though? I've been looking for information, and all I can find is the Montana WWAMI information!

I found the information. For anyone else who wants it: http://depts.washington.edu/mdadmit/TRUST/WA2010.pdf

Does anyone know if UW gives any preference to OOS applicants that did their undergrad at UW???

I was under the impression that to be considered for OOS acceptance, you have to be one of a few things...

1. an absolutely outstanding applicant
2. bring some sort of diversity to the table (URM or not)
3. be disadvantaged/show dedicated service towards the disadvantaged

i mean, they make it sound harder than getting into JHU or Harvard...

for those that were rejected...was this before or after you got a secondary?

1st Executive Committee meeting for WA applicants is Oct 27

Interviews:
Idaho WWAMI in Boise are currently scheduled for Jan 4-7 and in Seattle March 1-4.
Wyoming WWAMI in Laramie Jan 19-21 and in Seattle Feb 16-18
Alaska WWAMI in Anchorage Feb 22-25
Montana WWAMI in Seattle Feb 1-4 and March 8-11

Final EXCOM meeting March 23-25

Don't give up hope of immediate admission until March 26!

1st Executive Committee meeting for WA applicants is Oct 27

Interviews:
Idaho WWAMI in Boise are currently scheduled for Jan 4-7 and in Seattle March 1-4.
Wyoming WWAMI in Laramie Jan 19-21 and in Seattle Feb 16-18
Alaska WWAMI in Anchorage Feb 22-25
Montana WWAMI in Seattle Feb 1-4 and March 8-11

Final EXCOM meeting March 23-25

Don't give up hope of immediate admission until March 26!
wow. word from above. thanks for the info.

if i was a WA resident, that would be a great Bday present (oct. 27) :D

got my secondary, i'm oos. good luck to everyone.

So, I'm not sure if the first prompt is both for first year applicants and reapplicants...this was the prompt for the secondary I got this year.

Based on your experiences, how are you now prepared to be a physician? Limit 250 words

From your most recent previous application until now, how have you strengthened your application?

For TRUST program:
Please describe why you desire to participate in this program, what is/are your specialty choice/s, and where you would like to practice

Notified today, on the complete opposite side of the country.

interesting...they must not be doing them in bunches, just as they go. so its anytime, anyplace. so nervous.

damn. one of the quietest schools...

has anyone submitted and been verified that their application is complete? did you get an e-mail?

i submitted on 7/9. thanks in advance.

Because of SDN, my DD knew that her attendance at an OOS university would result in a need to verify residency. The forms were mailed and verified already. It took about 7-10 days in total, including mailing time.

If you need to verify residence, submit the forms ASAP, no need to wait to be asked.

Because of SDN, my DD knew that her attendance at an OOS university would result in a need to verify residency. The forms were mailed and verified already. It took about 7-10 days in total, including mailing time.

If you need to verify residence, submit the forms ASAP, no need to wait to be asked.

hi somemom-

i'm oos, so there's no need to verify my residency. i submitted my secondary but the status page says my LORs need to be downloaded. i didn't think it would take more than a couple of days--just wondering if people get an e-mail to comfirm a completed application. i hate neurotically checking my status on UWSOM's website.

Does anyone know where to find stats on WWAMI? I am curious to see how many applicants from Alaska apply each year and what the acceptance stats are. Thx!

verifying residency? what does that entail? i haven't heard of such a thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.