2009-2010 Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

The admissions committee requests that you write an essay that provides us with some insight into why you would like to join VCU School of Medicine.The essay has a limited length, so be certain that you know your material will fit in the allotted space (approximately 500-600 words).

LOR REQUIREMENT

If your school has an established pre-medical committee, your letter must come from them. The Admissions Committee policy is that students who attend schools that have formal pre-med advisors or pre-med committees must have a letter from that advisor or committee. Failure to provide this letter can be considered grounds for not pursuing the file further or for evaluating the candidate as less competitive than others. The committee believes those students whose undergraduate institution provides such a service is better able to evaluate the candidate in the context of that schools entire applicant pool. They also believe that students who have not availed themselves of the service may be less well prepared for medical education than those who have participated.

If you are not using a pre-medical committee, we require three letters of recommendation--two from faculty who have taught you in the sciences who can speak of your academic abilities and one in an ancillary (minor) field. The third letter may also come from someone who has worked with you, preferably in a healthcare related area.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
right there with you uva2009. (p.s. i graduated from uva in 2005)

Members don't see this ad :)
3 in a row. I'm at UVA too.

Last edited:
Anybody know if VCU screens?

Anybody know if VCU screens?
yes they do. Dont quote me on this, but about 6000 people applied last year and liek 2500 got secondaries..though like i said i vaguely remember reading that...i could be wrong.

anyone gotten a secondary yet? I think they were starting to send them out by this time last year.

anyone gotten a secondary yet? I think they were starting to send them out by this time last year.
not me but it seems 7/4 was the date last year it went out 1st which was a friday. Considering the long holiday i think its safe to assume no one got it yet.

got an email today saying they are reveiwing apps now, could take up to 2 weeks for initial decisions on secondaries.

I have no idea what are they screening for but Got the email right now!
praying to GOD and keeping my fingers crossed for that secondary app!
please god, please, please, please!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a cryptic email - doesn't say anything about the secondary, but there is a link to the secondary. Also doesn't say anything about acknowledgement, or taking 2 weeks to review for secondaries, or any of the things you guys got.

I am instate - I am assuming I now have access to the secondary - anybody else get this?

EDIT:

Nevermind...I see that when I access the secondary, I get the 2 weeks message.

Man, **** 'em...

I got a cryptic email - doesn't say anything about the secondary, but there is a link to the secondary. Also doesn't say anything about acknowledgement, or taking 2 weeks to review for secondaries, or any of the things you guys got.

I am instate - I am assuming I now have access to the secondary - anybody else get this?

EDIT:

Nevermind...I see that when I access the secondary, I get the 2 weeks message.

Man, **** 'em...
When you click on that link, you log in and that is where it tells you that they are screening at the moment.

i got the acknowledgement email too. :D

i hope i get pass the screening.

I was very relieved that the email did not include the secondary. I want the secondary, just maybe in a few weeks when I'm caught up on all the other secondaries...

Thanks VCU, for taking your time :)

I was very relieved that the email did not include the secondary. I want the secondary, just maybe in a few weeks when I'm caught up on all the other secondaries...

Thanks VCU, for taking your time :)

AMEN...I have 4 secondaries that are "works in progress" at this point...and that is just the ones that I received in the past two days...its like i want to get them over with but i am also working 50 hours a week and volunteering...i wish i could get one every 2-3 days haha...

Gosh, I love schools that screen. At least when I get the secondaries, I'll be more excited to do it thinking I might have a chance then be hopeful that they're not just taking my money.

Gosh, I love schools that screen. At least when I get the secondaries, I'll be more excited to do it thinking I might have a chance then be hopeful that they're not just taking my money.

DEFINITELY :thumbup:

Unfortunately, I think it is only a matter of time before all schools just send out the secondary to everyone. Everything is a business. Lame.

Got the secondary too :)

Check the status page everyone, they haven't sent an email.

I got it too!!!! just go to the page they sent us and we can access the secondary. No email was sent to notify us.

got secondary too

do you guys know what % of applicants are screened?

Got 3 secondaries today... this one is definitely the easiest but it looks like they have to work a few things out before we can start on it.

so if you don't see a change that means you weren't screened in ??

yay my first screened secondary woohoo!! do they send it to a lot of applicants? and what's with all the high school info, i sucked at SAT's I took 'em after being in the US for less than 2 years.. I thought my MCAT wouldn't make it now I have to worry about SAT's too :scared:

Could someone post the prompt/LOR please?

got secondary too

do you guys know what % of applicants are screened?
Judging from the fact i and others got it, its a large percentage i am sure of that. At least 50% maybe more. Because of who got it, id say they do a real low numbers screen for secondaries...though i could be wrong.

Last edited:
Judging from the fact i and others got it, its a large percentage i am sure of that. At least 50% maybe more.
I agree.

The only prompt is to tell them why you want to go to VCU. the rest is just info. The background info stuff gives me an error when I submit and the drop down boxes are empty. Maybe this is why we have no emails yet.

dammit they changed the essay from last year....not to mention i just called the office and got some horrible news. They actually care what your SATs are...they want to use it to base it on how well you test...i ****ing bombed the sats like 1000? I didnt even study or care since i knew i wasnt going to college,i took it becuase i was forced too...thye are gonna see that and screen me out ahah...i dont think ill even fill vcu out now. I dont even know what a good sat score is is like 1200+ good? I took it in like 2001?

Also is anyone using firefox and having problems? It wont let me save...

dammit they changed the essay from last year....not to mention i just called the office and got some horrible news. They actually care what your SATs are...they want to use it to base it on how well you test...i ****ing bombed the sats like 1000? I didnt even study or care since i knew i wasnt going to college,i took it becuase i was forced too...thye are gonna see that and screen me out ahah...i dont think ill even fill vcu out now. I dont even know what a good sat score is is like 1200+ good? I took it in like 2001?

bah i wont even make it if there is a screen for over 1000, since i was slightly below! my verbal sucked then and it sucks now! happy VCU?!! :(

yesh i couldn't save either.

they care about SAT's? Wow...this might help me afterall.

Wow, I just got screened in! I guess the applicant pool is now about 50% smaller. Good luck to everyone!

Also, Dr. WC mentioned the SAT thing when I talked to her in the past, and I would only worry about low SATs if you have a low MCAT score. From what I gathered, a high SAT score can make them a little more forgiving of an average MCAT score.

I agree.

The only prompt is to tell them why you want to go to VCU. the rest is just info. The background info stuff gives me an error when I submit and the drop down boxes are empty. Maybe this is why we have no emails yet.

Great, thanks Caesar!

Says on the site they interview ~60% of people submitting secondaries, and last year they interviewed 800-900 people... so that should give you an estimate.

On the General info page you use the drop down boxes to pick specialties you my be interested in, then on the verify page they aren't present and "Please share with us your thoughts on specialties and how you plan to choose yours" is in the same place.

Maybe it wasn't changed from last year??

On the General info page you use the drop down boxes to pick specialties you my be interested in, then on the verify page they aren't present and "Please share with us your thoughts on specialties and how you plan to choose yours" is in the same place.

Maybe it wasn't changed from last year??

I thought "Why VCU" was the only essay?

I thought "Why VCU" was the only essay?

It is, but when you go to the verify page, #3 asks how you will pick your specialty, not the drop down selections from the previous section. There isn't even a text box for another essay, must be a formatting error.

It is, but when you go to the verify page, #3 asks how you will pick your specialty, not the drop down selections from the previous section. There isn't even a text box for another essay, must be a formatting error.

lol oh ok, thanks!

Very sad right now. There is no change on my status page...screened out?? I really didn't think my stats were low enough for this to happen so early in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.