2009-2010 Wayne State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Committee would like you to select and respond to one question from each of the following three groups. Each response should be between 250-500 words (1500 to 3000 characters).

If you have applied to Wayne State University School of Medicine in the past, you also must answer the Group IV question.

Group I

A. The Admissions Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important and/or other factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, race, culture, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
B. During review of applications the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class and also the potential of an applicant to contribute to society. Please describe what you have to offer in this regard.
C. You have been given the opportunity to share dinner conversation with one person (alive or deceased) who has made a significant contribution to science or medicine. Identify the person you would select and why?

Group II

A. Thinking about your development and preparation for a career in medicine, which non-science college course has been most valuable? Why?
B. Describe the essential qualities that you look for in a physician.
C. Based upon your preparation for a medical career and your experiences in the health care field, what potential problems do you anticipate you will face as a physician?

Group III

A. Write a brief autobiography which provides a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. Identify the values that are of the greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please describe what you have done or have been doing since graduation.
B. From among the activities and experiences listed on your AMCAS application, please select one that has most impacted your decision to choose a career in medicine. Describe your role in the activity/experience and how this activity helped you make your decision.
C. Each applicant has goals they want to accomplish as a physician. They also have their own dreams with regards to what they hope to accomplish in their lifetime. Describe how you would want to be remembered at the end of your life.

Group IV (Only reapplicants must answer this question.)

A. What is your understanding of why you have not been accepted to medical school thus far? What have you done to increase the likelihood that you will be accepted this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hopefully 2nd time around will be better for me... :luck::xf::luck::xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Started processing application today 7/7 -- secondaries probably by the end of the week.

Started processing application today 7/7 -- secondaries probably by the end of the week.

How close of a screening is it with a 1-6 week window?

I think that is just a form e-mail they intend on using throughout the admissions cycle.

I would suspect they will be sending out secondaries before the end of the week too.

It is nice to know that they are actively doing something at this time.

Now that I'm posting again, I have a burning question about Wayne. It says on the website:

"Applicant's response to acceptance offer:
Maximum time: 3 weeks"

And the earliest acceptance for regular admissions is Oct. 21st.

Is this 'acceptance' final -- meaning you withdraw from other schools? Does this mean you could conceivably have to choose Wayne over all others at that time? Not that I am arrogant enough to think I could or will get into many other places, but I've come this far, and I really want to see how they all play out, don't you guys?

That adds undue stress to the whole situation if that is how this all plays out...

No, you can keep multiple acceptances until May 15 (or Apr 15 for classes that start before July 30).

After a preliminary review of your application, we are inviting you to submit secondary materials and would like to receive the following items from you within four weeks of the date of this e-mail in order to complete your application. Please be sure to indicate your name and AAMC ID number on all materials.

1. A statement from the Pre-Medical Advisory Committee at your college or university, or, if non-existent, three letters of recommendation with at least two from faculty. One must have been written within the past 12 months. If you are in a post baccalaureate or graduate program, you must submit at least one letter from your post baccalaureate or graduate program. The Committee prefers no more than six letters. All must be submitted through AMCAS.
2. MD/PhD program applicants must submit a letter from a research faculty member who can adequately address your research skills, knowledge and attitudes through AMCAS.
3. A 2" x 2" photograph. (Please do not affix picture to application.)
4. A non-refundable processing fee of $50.00 U.S. (check or money order) payable to Wayne State University.
5. The Committee would like you to select and respond to one question from each of the following three groups. Each response should be between 250-500 words (1500 to 3000 characters).
6. If you have applied to Wayne State University School of Medicine in the past, you also must answer the Group IV question.

Group I

A. The Admissions Committee strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important and/or other factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, race, culture, ethnicity or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
B. During review of applications the Admissions Committee assesses each applicant as to what they can contribute to their class and also the potential of an applicant to contribute to society. Please describe what you have to offer in this regard.
C. You have been given the opportunity to share dinner conversation with one person (alive or deceased) who has made a significant contribution to science or medicine. Identify the person you would select and why?

Group II

A. Thinking about your development and preparation for a career in medicine, which non-science college course has been most valuable? Why?
C. Based upon your preparation for a medical career and your experiences in the health care field, what potential problems do you anticipate you will face as a physician?

Group III
A. Write a brief autobiography which provides a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. Identify the values that are of the greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please describe what you have done or have been doing since graduation.
B. From among the activities and experiences listed on your AMCAS application, please select one that has most impacted your decision to choose a career in medicine. Describe your role in the activity/experience and how this activity helped you make your decision.
C. Each applicant has goals they want to accomplish as a physician. They also have their own dreams with regards to what they hope to accomplish in their lifetime. Describe how you would want to be remembered at the end of your life.

A. What is your understanding of why you have not been accepted to medical school thus far? What have you done to increase the likelihood that you will be accepted this year?

After a preliminary review of your application, we are inviting you to submit secondary materials and would like to receive the following items from you within four weeks of the date of this e-mail in order to complete your application. Please be sure to indicate your name and AAMC ID number on all materials.

1. A statement from the Pre-Medical Advisory Committee at your college or university, or, if non-existent, three letters of recommendation with at least two from faculty. One must have been written within the past 12 months. If you are in a post baccalaureate or graduate program, you must submit at least one letter from your post baccalaureate or graduate program. The Committee prefers no more than six letters. All must be submitted through AMCAS.
2. MD/PhD program applicants must submit a letter from a research faculty member who can adequately address your research skills, knowledge and attitudes through AMCAS.
3. A 2” x 2” photograph. (Please do not affix picture to application.)
4. A non-refundable processing fee of $50.00 U.S. (check or money order) payable to Wayne State University.
5. The Committee would like you to select and respond to one question from each of the following three groups. Each response should be between 250-500 words (1500 to 3000 characters).
6. If you have applied to Wayne State University School of Medicine in the past, you also must answer the Group IV question.

Group I

Group II

Group III

Make sure you do the secondary ASAP. Since they screen already, having a good response probably helps get you an early interview.

3. A 2” x 2” photograph. (Please do not affix picture to application.)

Group I

Group II

Group III

Is your application complete in all respects, including MCAT?

they probably need your MCAT scores first before they invite you for a secondary. i find your mdapps particularly interesting. tenured professor? cool!

they probably need your MCAT scores first before they invite you for a secondary. i find your mdapps particularly interesting. tenured professor? cool!

Thanks!!! Good luck with your apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES!! My first screened app! And one that I failed to get last time. Hopefully this is a sign of more positive things to come :love:

Any clue whether they want the post-bacc letter now if you didn't add it to AMCAS or if they'll mark the app complete without it?

Last edited:
Is there any way that I can alert Wayne State about the family alumni, without coming off opportunistic? I feel like have family alumni should be an asset to me (as it is for other applicants at other schools), especially b/c I'm an OOS applicant. Would it be improper to include the alumni information in response to this question:

.Write a brief autobiography which provides a picture of yourself, your family, and events you consider important to you. Identify the values that are of the greatest importance to you. If you have completed your undergraduate education, please describe what you have done or have been doing since graduation..

Is there any real advantage in having alumni in your family, in terms of at least getting an interview?

Thanks.

MDapp

Last edited:
No, you can keep multiple acceptances until May 15 (or Apr 15 for classes that start before July 30).

Thanks, It goes to show my ignorance in certain areas of the application process. :)

I do so hope to get into Wayne State, I dare say it is my first choice: I was born, raised, and am raising my family within SE Michigan...I turned down M.I.T. for University of Michigan in engineering undergrad...I've worked here for over 10 years despite the rough times and many offers out-of-state...If I have to move out it will be difficult for my wife and kids and in-laws and friends...

My whole family/parents/brothers/in-laws believe in Detroit and Michigan, and we've served the community for decades. Most of my brothers moved out because they lost their jobs in the past few years, but I think they in the long term will return. In fact, my parents are moving back to metro Detroit to retire here when they could go anywhere they want...as crazy as that sounds to outsiders, they just don't understand what it means to be a local...

I understand OOS state people who want to go here for their owm personal reasons, I just hope that the admissions recognizes informally or formally people who are committed to the local community...

Thanks, It goes to show my ignorance in certain areas of the application process. :)

I do so hope to get into Wayne State, I dare say it is my first choice: I was born, raised, and am raising my family within SE Michigan...I turned down M.I.T. for University of Michigan in engineering undergrad...I've worked here for over 10 years despite the rough times and many offers out-of-state...If I have to move out it will be difficult for my wife and kids and in-laws and friends...

My whole family/parents/brothers/in-laws believe in Detroit and Michigan, and we've served the community for decades. Most of my brothers moved out because they lost their jobs in the past few years, but I think they in the long term will return. In fact, my parents are moving back to metro Detroit to retire here when they could go anywhere they want...as crazy as that sounds to outsiders, they just don't understand what it means to be a local...

I understand OOS state people who want to go here for their owm personal reasons, I just hope that the admissions recognizes informally or formally people who are committed to the local community...

good luck to you. you have a compelling story. i hope you get in

Everything is complete except I only have 3/4 letters submitted to AMCAS. I'm still waiting on the 4th.

is it just me, or are these the deepest questions ever asked on a secondary application? How do you want to be remembered at the end of your life?...What?

is it just me, or are these the deepest questions ever asked on a secondary application? How do you want to be remembered at the end of your life?...What?

I just sent mine in today, but this was an interesting application. After completing 10 secondaries before this one, it was nice to get some different questions for once.

I just sent mine in today, but this was an interesting application. After completing 10 secondaries before this one, it was nice to get some different questions for once.

I'd rather just get the same questions that were on an earlier secondary so I don't have to write more.

I'd rather just get the same questions that were on an earlier secondary so I don't have to write more.
Right. The problem with doing that for Wayne is that those are the more dull questions available. But just like you, I had no energy to write new, creative responses for the more enjoyable questions.

yea, I agree. I'm essay-ed out. However, there is problem with simply using the same essay over and over again, because the same question or nuance of it is asked repeatedly. If it was a lackluster essay for one school, it's likely to be boring for other schools as well. I'm always revising the same essay, and wishing I had done this in advance!

Hey everyone, this is my second time around applying to WSU... For those returning applicants, do you think using our same secondary responses will be frowned upon? I feel like things like my biography have not changed much since last year...

Hey everyone, this is my second time around applying to WSU... For those returning applicants, do you think using our same secondary responses will be frowned upon? I feel like things like my biography have not changed much since last year...

although i'm not an adcom member, i'm pretty sure any medical school will frown upon secondaries that are being reused...

i suggest writing some new ones. i'll have to write three new ones and have to do the fourth essay this time around. bah! good luck to ya!

How long did it take for you guys to receive a secondary from them once verified?

Yeah, I submitted mine on 7/15 and I still haven't heard from them.

man, im getting nervous too. i was verified on 7/8 and haven't gotten anything yet.

i hope that my being waitlisted for last year's cycle isn't delaying it... or is it a good thing?? hopefully it's a good thing...

How long did it take for you guys to receive a secondary from them once verified?

AMCAS was verified 6/2
Received pre-screen e-mail from Wayne 7/8
Received actual secondary 7/10
Submitted 7/13
File status "complete" 7/14

I don't know about any one else's situation...but I called them today to see why I haven't gotten any notification and they told me they're waiting on my new MCAT score.

I don't know about any one else's situation...but I called them today to see why I haven't gotten any notification and they told me they're waiting on my new MCAT score.

if you don't mind my asking, have you taken it before or did you just take it for the first time?

AMCAS was verified 6/2
Received pre-screen e-mail from Wayne 7/8
Received actual secondary 7/10
Submitted 7/13
File status "complete" 7/14
I was under the impression that the AMCAS didn't officially open (since they were late) until June 5. Are you saying that AMCAS verified your transcripts on the same day that you submitted the application?

I was under the impression that the AMCAS didn't officially open (since they were late) until June 5. Are you saying that AMCAS verified your transcripts on the same day that you submitted the application?

Yep, same thing for me too. I submitted my AMCAS within 10 minutes of it opening (which was June 2) and they had me verified in about 4 hours.

Yep, same thing for me too. I submitted my AMCAS within 10 minutes of it opening (which was June 2) and they had me verified in about 4 hours.
I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

Same post at MSU.
Wayne State Vs MSU
Pros/cons

if you don't mind my asking, have you taken it before or did you just take it for the first time?

I had taken it before...I think as long as you indicate that you're waiting on new scores, they'll hold off on a decision.

Same post at MSU.
Wayne State Vs MSU
Pros/cons

I found this post from 2002. Although somethings have changed, I think this poster hits on the big differences....

Hi, welcome to SDN.

I had the same choice your making. I was also accepted at both Michigan State CHM and Wayne State University. I liked both schools upon visiting, yet I chose Michigan State for a number of reasons. Yet, this was a hard decision.

1- Location: Wayne State is in the middle of Detroit where housing is expensive, and lets face it crime is high. The city is pretty dirty and the roads can be terror.
Michigan State is in East Lansing is a good area relatively safe from crime. The rents for single bedroom apts tend to run around the $500 range.

2- Communication with schools: I have found that Michigan State quickly returns any communication I have with the school, via email or telephone. Their staff has been extremely friendly and welcoming. Wayne State is very slow to answer emails and phone messages. I found their office staff to be relatively neutral, showing little emotion.

3- Education Quality: Both schools offer a good education. Michigan State if more clinically oriented and directed towards primary care. Wayne State offers the experience of being within several of Detroits busiest hospitals. I feel Wayne takes a slight edge in this category, yet for me, I've worked in the ER for 2 years and have had a lot of clinical experiences.

4- Class size: I feel that Wayne State with a class of 256 is a bit too large and attention can not be given to individual students. It is also true that MSU combines lectures of CHM and COM the first year, which makes the lecture the size of about 200 anyway.

5- 3rd and 4th year: At Wayne, you stay in Detroit and do rotations. At MSU, you are placed in satellite campuses in either Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Flint, Saginaw, or Marquette. This requires a move after 2 years.

6- Family: This was a consideration for me. Lansing is just an hour drive from home for me while Wayne is 3 hrs. I felt that a much needed break at home from studies would be easier if I went to MSU instead of Wayne.

Just my opinions...good luck

John AKA Mossjoh

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=14323

Just got my secondary today!

AMCAS submitted ~6/25, verified ~7/15. OOS, cGPA<3.5, MCAT 31.

I had taken it before...I think as long as you indicate that you're waiting on new scores, they'll hold off on a decision.

Yea, I just found that out today. I can't believe they'd put me on hold (for a secondary!!) even though I was offered an interview last year. FML

Yea, I just found that out today. I can't believe they'd put me on hold (for a secondary!!) even though I was offered an interview last year. FML

What were your stats if you don't mind? If you don't want to share here could you PM them to me so I can try to guess if they'll offer me at least a secondary? Thanks!

What were your stats if you don't mind? If you don't want to share here could you PM them to me so I can try to guess if they'll offer me at least a secondary? Thanks!

I knew someone who had a 33/3.5 that got an interview & acceptance a 2-3 years ago. I don't know if that helps... :/

just got a message saying the received my materials...i thought it was a rejection, almost gave me a heart attack...

I found this post from 2002. Although somethings have changed, I think this poster hits on the big differences....

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=14323

Thanks EckXXX. I was talking with somebody & pretty much the conclusion was -- If you want to go for one of the primary fields, then there is the question of Wayne vs MSU. If you dont want to go for primary field's then Wayne is pretty much the choice.

Thanks again.

I've been sitting on this one forever but I think I'm finally ready to submit.

This was the most satisfying secondary to get a "file complete" notice from. Not only was there the pre-screen, but deciding on which three "creative" writing essays to fill out was a task in itself.

Still haven't gotten the secondary. Boo.

i haven't gotten the secondary yet and i've gotten more than 13 of them so far.. (in a way i'm glad i didn't get it yet because it's too heavy).. is this normal? do they pre-screen?

i haven't gotten the secondary yet and i've gotten more than 13 of them so far.. (in a way i'm glad i didn't get it yet because it's too heavy).. is this normal? do they pre-screen?

They do prescreen...do you have an MCAT score pending or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.