2009-2010 University of Tennessee Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is no secondary essay.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did anyone get a secondary for UT yet? When do we start receiving them? I am wondering...

I've not heard anything since I recieved an email saying they had received my primary and would be reviewing it. I believe that last year they did not start interviewing until October, so I suppose we'll be waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
So does this mean that they screen for secondaries?

So does this mean that they screen for secondaries?

I guess so. Here's what the email I got said.

Dear Student:
I am writing to apprise you that we have received your AMCAS application and it is currently under review. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis and applicants are notified accordingly. For additional information regarding admission, please visit our website:
www.utmem.edu/Medicine/Admissions
We appreciate your interest in The University of Tennessee Health Science Center-College of Medicine.

Soo.....I would take that to mean that they screen.

I guess so. Here's what the email I got said.

Dear Student:
I am writing to apprise you that we have received your AMCAS application and it is currently under review. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling basis and applicants are notified accordingly. For additional information regarding admission, please visit our website:
www.utmem.edu/Medicine/Admissions
We appreciate your interest in The University of Tennessee Health Science Center-College of Medicine.

Soo.....I would take that to mean that they screen.

Yeah I am happy that they screen. This way I don't have to waste money on a secondary if they are just gonna reject based on numbers or activities.

Are you instate SportingMD54? They heavily favor IS applicants from what I've been told. Much like KY and Louisville (and ETSU for that matter).

Are you instate SportingMD54? They heavily favor IS applicants from what I've been told. Much like KY and Louisville (and ETSU for that matter).

My parents live here now, and they claim me on their taxes. I think this will make me in-state. I will try to apply in-state anyway. Louisville isn't really that heavy in-state and I have connections there. I only applied to a state school if I had connections there or I think I could be in-state.

Anyone heard anything since that initial email from here?

Anyone heard anything since that initial email from here?

I have not heard anything and I am a little scared because last year, people got secondaries by this time. I am instate so I expect to get one ASAP. When do you think they will start sending it for instate students?:confused: I am hoping with the next week or so...

I applied last year and they definitely screen. I am reapplying this year and one of the administrators said they'd be sending out secondaries "soon." Take that however you want, but I wouldn't be concerned yet if you haven't received one. Good luck!

I applied last year and they definitely screen. I am reapplying this year and one of the administrators said they'd be sending out secondaries "soon." Take that however you want, but I wouldn't be concerned yet if you haven't received one. Good luck!
Thanks and good luck!! Where else are you applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
"Soon" is frustratingly vague, at least if you have as little patience as I do :oops:. I'm only waiting on a couple more secondaries, and this is one of them...it's the school I want to hear back from the most, too!

"Soon" is frustratingly vague, at least if you have as little patience as I do :oops:. I'm only waiting on a couple more secondaries, and this is one of them...it's the school I want to hear back from the most, too!

It's one of my last secondaries as well, so hopefully it will come soon. I don't believe they start interviewing until Oct. though (from what I've heard), so I guess we've got awhile to wait. :(

Thanks and good luck!! Where else are you applying?

Only UT Memphis and ETSU this year...I was waitlisted at both last year and don't feel like wasting my time or money on other schools when I'm not even really interested/don't really think I've got a shot.

Only UT Memphis and ETSU this year...I was waitlisted at both last year and don't feel like wasting my time or money on other schools when I'm not even really interested/don't really think I've got a shot.
When did you apply and when did you get a secondary last year?

No one got a secondary yet???

When did you apply and when did you get a secondary last year?

Last year I wasn't complete until August 18, but I got the secondary only a few days later on August 22. However, I know someone that was higher than me on UT's waitlist last year that was complete on July 8th this year and has also not yet received a secondary. Guess we'll just have to wait...

When someone does receive a secondary, please post! I do recall that it's not all that involved. No essays. Just fill in some info and attach a picture if you want. Good luck to everyone!

Just a heads up, but I recieved UT's secondary today, so check your email!:D

Thanks so much for posting that, scotsdoc. I checked after you posted, and it was in my Spam folder!!

Hey no problem! Glad you caught it. Everyone should check their spam folder I guess.

Is anyone having trouble with the formatting? Mine is crazy and I can't tell if I'm typing in the write boxes, etc.

Hey guys, are you going to attach any Additional Comments to the mail-in portion of the app? I'm thinking it is more reserved for explaining insufficiencies but am I alone in thinking that?

Is anyone having trouble with the formatting? Mine is crazy and I can't tell if I'm typing in the write boxes, etc.

Mine was fine once I realized that when you're putting in your amcas id, you have to tab it. So I just filled it out by moving from each section by tab only. This formatting is as bad as GW's lol

Anyone know what the people last year did on the additional comments? I am not sure on whether to give a Why UTHSC essay...

Can someone PM me the secondary prompt so I can update it on the first post? Thanks.

Anyone know what the people last year did on the additional comments? I am not sure on whether to give a Why UTHSC essay...

I just used the space to describe what I was doing with my year off since that wasn't listed on my primary.

What are normally the average stats for IS applicants to UT memphis?

I copied this from the UT-Memphis website:

"Recent entering classes have had a mean grade point average of 3.5 or higher in both the science and non-science areas with a Medical College Admissions Test [MCAT] score of 9's and 10's in each area."

I can't find the class statistics that used to be up, but from what I remember, I think the average cGPA was 3.57-3.6 and the MCAT was around a 30Q. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember. They didn't really distinguish between IS/OOS, but since the class is IS predominantly, I would venture to say that the average IS numbers are close to those I listed above.

so when the heck do they start inviting people for interviews?

The timeline on their website generically says "September-March" for interview invitations.

How long after getting the first e-mail did you guys get the secondary?

Has anyone OOS gotten an secondary invite yet? I got the email notification of AMCAS on 8/18. Just wondering if i will be getting a rejection letter soon.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I recieved an interview invite this evening about 9 pm EST. :D:D:D So...check your inboxes! Good luck guys.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I recieved an interview invite this evening about 9 pm EST. :D:D:D So...check your inboxes! Good luck guys.

Congrats! I'm quite jealous, I think I got the secondary the same day as you but didn't get the interview invite tonight...hopefully it's coming :xf:.

I haven't received a secondary application nor a snail mail rejection. Wonder what's going on?

I haven't received a secondary application nor a snail mail rejection. Wonder what's going on?

Me either. My AMCAS was sent mid August. Does it usually take them this long to get to OOS applicants?

Me either. My AMCAS was sent mid August. Does it usually take them this long to get to OOS applicants?

I am instate and my AMCAS was complete the beginning of June! I don't know what's taking so long. I don't know anything about the OOS though. Good luck to you!

My friend didn't get his secondary until last week, and I think he submitted his AMCAS a while back...he was waiting for an MCAT score though, so that might've been the issue. He called them to see what was going on, and apparently they're pretty nice about it.

I'm still compulsively checking my email looking for an interview invite...I sent my secondary on 8/17 (I think the same day as Scotsdoc), so I hope mine comes soon or I'll have to start worrying about a rejection :scared:.

can those of you with interviews post your GPA/MCAT?

I haven't gotten anything, either! I thought I was waiting on MCAT scores, but even when I got those I didn't hear anything from them... I really don't know what to do now... Maybe I should give them a call??

Email with interview invite received 9/22. Scheduled for mid-October.

Status
Not open for further replies.