2009-2010 University of Alabama Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PROMPT

Describe your research experiences and indicate any interest in continuing with research in medical school:

Provide names and relation of family members who graduated from UASOM:

Where do you see yourself in your medical career ten to fifteen years from now?

Non-Alabama residents: Describe any experiences you have had related to the state of Alabama or UAB Medical Center:

If the area you spent most of your life before college differs from where you currently consider your permanent address, please explain:

We believe an effective learning community includes students who have broad life experiences as well as those who offer diversity by their distinct backgrounds. What life experiences have provided you with insight into the experiences and values of people who are different from as well as similar in background to you?

We believe a serious interest in medicine as a vocation will be reflected in an applicant's desire to develop a deeper understanding of the patient-doctor relationship. How have your shadowing experiences shaped your understanding of patients and medicine?

How has your involvement in hands-on service to others shaped your understanding of the commitment necessary to be a physician, a profession dedicated to serving others, especially those who are vulnerable, underserved, or different from you?

Human communication inevitably involves misunderstandings and these misunderstandings often become upsetting. Relate an incident in which this happened to you, and describe how you attempted to address the situation.

Describe an experience or event when you received feedback from a mentor, parent, or person of authority that was difficult for you to hear and how you responded to that feedback.

Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was considering applying here earlier, but today I received an email from there MSTP MD/PhD program encouraging me to apply based on my MCAT score ( which IMO was not that high). Did anyone else get this, is worth looking into? I was only considering MD this year, but i'm hoping to pursue a PhD maybe while at the med school I attend.

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess they send it to everyone? anyone have any idea.

Probably sent it to everyone above a certain MCAT score. I got it too.

Anyone know what the prompts are for their regular MD secondary?

yeah. got it too and mcat was only a 32. and didn't even think amcas had sent my app yet, so was a little confused.

Anyone hear anything yet from here about their secondary?

I know the mstp started to screen primaries and should release secondaries in 1-2 weeks. Not sure about MD-only, though

Hi,

Has anyone applied early decision? If so, have you received a secondary application (just wanted to check since they are do August 15)? Thanks!

I didn't apply early decision, but my AMCAS got sent 7/15 and I haven't heard anything from them either...no confirmation of receiving my AMCAS stuff, nothing. :confused:

Anyone hear anything yet from here about their secondary?

I haven't heard anything yet.. not even an email saying they've received my app and they're working on sorting everything out.

Has anyone gotten a secondary yet?

It looks like from last year that people weren't working on their secondaries until mid to late August.. so I guess I don't feel so bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Finally got the secondary this morning! I have a question:
"Have you previously applied to another medical school?": Do they mean including this year or are they asking if I'm a reapplicant?

They also ask for your ACT and SAT scores, just fyi.

Last edited:
"Have you previously applied to another medical school?": Do they mean including this year or are they asking if I'm a reapplicant?

Does Alabama still have this question on their secondary?

Describe your research experiences and indicate any interest in continuing with research in medical school

it's asking whether you are a reapplicant, meaning it's your second, third application cycle.

Does Alabama still have this question on their secondary?

Describe your research experiences and indicate any interest in continuing with research in medical school

Just got the secondary today. It has a lot of very specific questions, and looks fairly long.

Here are the prompts:

Describe your research experiences and indicate any interest in continuing with research in medical school:

Provide names and relation of family members who graduated from UASOM:

Where do you see yourself in your medical career ten to fifteen years from now?

Non-Alabama residents: Describe any experiences you have had related to the state of Alabama or UAB Medical Center:

If the area you spent most of your life before college differs from where you currently consider your permanent address, please explain:

We believe an effective learning community includes students who have broad life experiences as well as those who offer diversity by their distinct backgrounds. What life experiences have provided you with insight into the experiences and values of people who are different from as well as similar in background to you?

We believe a serious interest in medicine as a vocation will be reflected in an applicant's desire to develop a deeper understanding of the patient-doctor relationship. How have your shadowing experiences shaped your understanding of patients and medicine?

How has your involvement in hands-on service to others shaped your understanding of the commitment necessary to be a physician, a profession dedicated to serving others, especially those who are vulnerable, underserved, or different from you?

Human communication inevitably involves misunderstandings and these misunderstandings often become upsetting. Relate an incident in which this happened to you, and describe how you attempted to address the situation.

Describe an experience or event when you received feedback from a mentor, parent, or person of authority that was difficult for you to hear and how you responded to that feedback.

Please share any information you want us to know about you that is not included in your AMCAS application or in this secondary application:

Hey guys, I'm having a mini-freak out over here. I'm applying to UAB, but in the secondary it says for REQUIRED COURSES, we need 6 HOURS of Math Coursework.

What MATH classes have you all taken? I've taken a 4 Credit Hour Calculus class, and that's IT. I've already graduated, if I need to go back to school and take another math class, that'd be insane! I probably would have to go somewhere else. I GO to UAB, so it'd baffle me if none of my biology advisors or PRE-MED advisors here has simply forgotten to tell me I need a pre-cal. class or something. What do I do! I e-mailed my pre-med advisor, just waiting now. :mad:

Hey guys, I'm having a mini-freak out over here. I'm applying to UAB, but in the secondary it says for REQUIRED COURSES, we need 6 HOURS of Math Coursework.

What MATH classes have you all taken? I've taken a 4 Credit Hour Calculus class, and that's IT. I've already graduated, if I need to go back to school and take another math class, that'd be insane! I probably would have to go somewhere else. I GO to UAB, so it'd baffle me if none of my biology advisors or PRE-MED advisors here has simply forgotten to tell me I need a pre-cal. class or something. What do I do! I e-mailed my pre-med advisor, just waiting now. :mad:

EDIT: So apparently CS101 can be counted as a MATH course, which is weird since it's a computer science class. Well, that's what my Pre-Med advisor said, and she can't be wrong about UAB's school!

What do y'all think about the "Wait until MCAT scores are received" option? I of course want to get started on the app ASAP, but my new MCAT scores won't be out until September 1.

If I submit it now (in a few days, say a week- August 21), will I be at a disadvantage, or will the committee likely not even look at it until after September 1 anyway, so that my new scores will be there?

HELP, please!!

I would just wait. A 2 week difference isn't that big of a deal, and a better MCAT score is more important. Just my 2 cents.

what's the character/word limit on each of those responses if there are any.

and also, what if we have no ties to the state of alabama :( what should we say then?

and also, what if we have no ties to the state of alabama :( what should we say then?

It doesn't seem like it.. but I'd keep it short and sweet.

Also, I've never been to Alabama either.. but it's a good chance to say that you like to travel, can't wait to see all the awesome things in the state and at the medical center.. stuff like that.

It doesn't seem like it.. but I'd keep it short and sweet.

Also, I've never been to Alabama either.. but it's a good chance to say that you like to travel, can't wait to see all the awesome things in the state and at the medical center.. stuff like that.

Haha, alright. Generic stuff, got it :laugh:

Actually, for this question:

If we don't have any experience related to Alabama or UAB, then do we leave it blank?

Actually, for this question:

If we don't have any experience related to Alabama or UAB, then do we leave it blank?

It would be a good chance to show you've done your research on the school and kiss up, saying you might not have been there personally, but you've heard about its amazing resources, research, etc. Also if you come from a rural or urban background, you could try to link that in as well.

Almost done, but I'm stuck on the human communication/misunderstandings question :confused:.

Anyone have a complete application yet? Mine's still "in progress"..

Anyone have a complete application yet? Mine's still "in progress"..

Mine is still "in progress" too. I was complete on 8/16 but it does say to allow for processing time so I wouldn't be too concerned.

I feel like I just finished a marathon. :soexcited:

Now the waiting game begins. Pax.

There's a 2500 character limit for essays just in case anyone is curious.

Complete on 9/4, under review 9/8 or 9/9 I think. IS, 3.7, 36

I sent them an email saying I would be "in the area" for another interview (before reading these forums I didn't know this was common practice, but esp in NYC people have been getting a lot of interviews this way) and that I'm very interested in the UAB program.

Not 2 hours later, my status changed to "hold for interview consideration". Anyone know if they really do interview those on hold, or they are just letting you down gently?

I got the same status change. Im an OOS applicant, too. However, i did not send the "in the area" email

Anyone interviewing on the 8th?

I interviewed the 24th. Good luck! The interview is laid back. It should be an enjoyable experience for you. Are you in state or OOS

Awesome, I'm really excited about it. (OOS applicant).

I'm a fairly competitive IS student, and I completed my secondary on 9/21 and was under review on 9/25. Today, I checked my status and it said "remain under consideration for interview." I was curious if any of you guys with interviews already were ever placed in that category, or did you go straight to interview invite? Does this mean that I'll be interviewed near the end of the process if at all?

I'm a fairly competitive IS student, and I completed my secondary on 9/21 and was under review on 9/25. Today, I checked my status and it said "remain under consideration for interview." I was curious if any of you guys with interviews already were ever placed in that category, or did you go straight to interview invite? Does this mean that I'll be interviewed near the end of the process if at all?

Sorry guys, I should have done a little more searching before posting this. According to last year's thread, several people got invited a few days after getting the remaining under consideration message.

Sorry guys, I should have done a little more searching before posting this. According to last year's thread, several people got invited a few days after getting the remaining under consideration message.

Mine went straight to it. Just be patient. If you are competitive instate youll get an interview

I got the interview invite this morning.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.