2009-2010 Rosalind Franklin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

1. At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a
Life in Discovery means to you. (2400 character limit)

2. Future physicians and research scientists are expected to work in an interprofessional environment, and
Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you
envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an interprofessional team. (2400 character limit)

LOR Reqs

You are required to submit three letters of evaluation for consideration. All letters of evaluation must be submitted
through the AMCAS letter service. Letters will not be accepted through any other method. Letters received
through other methods will NOT be included in the application.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions from last year:

1. Future physicians and research scientists are expected to work in an inter-professional environment,and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an inter-professional team.

2. What do you believe will be your greatest strength as a physician? What will be your greatest weakness?

3. Chicago Medical School promotes a diverse learning environment, including diversity in the student body. Keeping a broad definition of diversity in mind, how would you contribute to student diversity?

4. Why do you feel Rosalind Franklin University is the "best fit" for your learning style and personality?

Use only the space available on the form.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it as how are you going to handle working with others when you are a doc. That means the respiratory therpaists, nurses, other docs for consults etc etc..In general any thoughts on a team orientated environment would do imo. They just want to see your thoughts on that since as a doc you will be working heavily with others in a team environment.

Oh, thanks. I would be in a world of hurt with these secondaries if it wasn't for this forum. Could you put that you would have no challenges, and be awesome at everything?
That sounds better than I am socially challenged or something

Is it wise to put last year's prompts in this year's thread? RFU's prompt changed completely in the last two cycles. In 2007, it was a massive single abstract essay and last year it was this set of four mini-essays.

Pasting these from last year might give people a false sense of security. At least if an SDNer looks them up in the 2008 subforum, there exists a caveat that these can all change.

I don't think it is really unwise. It's caveat emptor, just like everything on the forums. When the new secondary comes out I will be editing the first post.

I didn't edit it already because RFU is really random about it's secondary.

I should add that no one should be working on any secondaries until A. they are available and B. they receive them themselves.

Why is that? I thought the norm was to start drafting asap

Why is that? I thought the norm was to start drafting asap

Ans:
Is it wise to put last year's prompts in this year's thread? RFU's prompt changed completely in the last two cycles. In 2007, it was a massive single abstract essay and last year it was this set of four mini-essays.

Pasting these from last year might give people a false sense of security. At least if an SDNer looks them up in the 2008 subforum, there exists a caveat that these can all change.

Members don't see this ad :)
They get rid of your file after the year's admission cycle ends so I don't see the point of changing it.

yeah me too...not the same essays as last year...(except the inter-professional one)

my application username and password isn't working, it won't let me log on, does anyone mind posting the questions here? or what the application entails? thanks!

My login also is working. It says there have been too many unsuccessful log in attempts which locked the account. Oo

my username and password isnt working either. what should i do?

my application username and password isn't working, it won't let me log on, does anyone mind posting the questions here? or what the application entails? thanks!

A. Short Essays
Please use the space provided below, and do not attach additional pages.
At Rosalind Franklin University, we celebrate and support a Life in Discovery. Briefly describe what a Life in Discovery means to you.

Future physicians and research scientists are expected to work in an interprofessional environment, and Rosalind Franklin University allows students to learn in such an environment. Describe what you envision to be your greatest challenge in working on an interprofessional team.

my username and password isnt working either. what should i do?
same here i tried to log in and it says "This account has been locked out after too many unsuccessful login attempts. Please wait 10 minutes before trying to login again. If you have forgotten your password, please try the Password Reminder option before contacting an Administrator."

Also life in discovery serious? what type of question is that even...ill probably be rejected becuase of w/e i write to that lol...i dont even know where to begin.

Also life in discovery serious? what type of question is that even...ill probably be rejected becuase of w/e i write to that lol...i dont even know where to begin.

Yea I'm pretty lost on this one. I think I prefer last year's questions over this one.

yay got the email this morning.
Has AMCAS verified your primary? Or are you still waiting? I am curious because I am still waiting to be verified and wondering if RF is one of the schools that sends the secondary before they receive the primary. Thanks!

Has AMCAS verified your primary? Or are you still waiting? I am curious because I am still waiting to be verified and wondering if RF is one of the schools that sends the secondary before they receive the primary. Thanks!
ya im verified.

Since the user ID and password given in the email appears to be fairly generic, it may be that they did not give out individual logins, and that there is one general login for access (why is beyond me).

The current login problem is likely because too many people erroneously entered in the password for this generic user ID and locked the system.

I don't think they are that bad....but I don't know how long the essays are supposed to be, I'm locked out too :(
can someone who did log in sorta give some guidelines as to how long these essays can be? :)

can someone who did log in sorta give some guidelines as to how long these essays can be? :)

For each prompt they give a box that is roughly one third of a page for 2,400-3,000 characters

Last edited:
I was able to log in, the box for these essays can accommodate about 2400-3000 chars. Basically, think half single spaced page on word for each essay as both these go on the same page in the application.

This application needs to printed out and mailed in with a check or money order ($100).

Did anyone PM the essay questions to Shemarty so she can update the thread?

I was able to log in, the box for these essays can accommodate about 2400-3000 chars. Basically, think half single spaced page on word for each essay as both these go on the same page in the application.

This application needs to printed out and mailed in with a check or money order ($100).

Did anyone PM the essay questions to Shemarty so she can update the thread?

not sure but remember its probbaly easier to pm ksmi117 also. Shes here a lot more and i believe shemarty is still in china? Or at least she was...regardless ksmi is another option :)

Has anyone contacted the admissions office about the problem with the login? Have they replied?

Since the user ID and password given in the email appears to be fairly generic, it may be that they did not give out individual logins, and that there is one general login for access (why is beyond me).

The current login problem is likely because too many people erroneously entered in the password for this generic user ID and locked the system.

I was thinking the exact same thing...haha at first it said applicant10 and i was like wow they looked at mine early and then i realized...oh...2010 hahaha...

Oh and by the does anyone know where i can print a bunch of 2x2 pics? everywhere i have been only does 2x3. i only have one left so i want to make a bunch so i dont run out.

oh and im getting really sick of this whole mail it in thing! im in alaska so that is already a disadvantage! haha...and i have to pay real money with a check i cant charge it! dang it...

Oh and by the does anyone know where i can print a bunch of 2x2 pics? everywhere i have been only does 2x3. i only have one left so i want to make a bunch so i dont run out.

I used ePassportPhoto.com and printed my own photos. It creates a image with 5 pictures that fits on 4x6 photo paper, and it allows you to save it to your computer so you can just reprint it whenever you run out. :)

I used ePassportPhoto.com and printed my own photos. It creates a image with 5 pictures that fits on 4x6 photo paper, and it allows you to save it to your computer so you can just reprint it whenever you run out. :)
thats pretty useful thanks! can i print the pic on cheap paper...or do you think we should get decent photo paper?

thats pretty useful thanks! can i print the pic on cheap paper...or do you think we should get decent photo paper?

I happened to have some photo paper that came with my printer laying around, so I've been using that. If I didn't have this, I'd probably still go out and buy some photo/glossy type paper.

Or, if you'd like, you can try printing it a local FedEx/Kinkos or similar printing place. They should have glossy paper, and you wouldn't have to buy an entire case of paper if you don't think you'd ever use it again.

BTW, has anyone called to ask about the login problem? I don't want to call if they're already getting a bunch of calls from other people.

the login didnt work the first time I tried, however by Copy/Paste-ing my info it let me into the supplemental.

They've sent out a new e-mail. :thumbup:

Dear CMS Applicant,

Due to technical difficulties the website hosting the CMS Supplemental Application is not functioning properly. Unfortunately, this issue will take several days to resolve.

For your convenience we have attached the supplemental application to this email. You are also welcome to download the supplemental application beginning next week (July 6th).

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

Sincerely,

CMS Admissions Office

Ah it's this essay. I had a feeling they'd switch back to it since I was wondering how last year got such easy ones. In 2007, the Life in Discovery essay was their only one so it was also much longer. Count your blessings!

I am editing the app in a .pdf (typing) so I will probably attach the picture that way and print it out. Might get glossy paper, but I don't think they really care. If they care about something like that then it probably isn't the best place for me anyway.

lol took me a while to figure out CMS=RFU.

I am editing the app in a .pdf (typing) so I will probably attach the picture that way and print it out. Might get glossy paper, but I don't think they really care. If they care about something like that then it probably isn't the best place for me anyway.
probably right but i just went out and bought some photo paper it was only like 8 dollars so :shrug:. But these essays are hard :(...I kinda like my life and discovery one, but the greatest challenge ugh...everytime i write these things i dont know if im basically just pointing out a huge weakness and making myself seem like a *****...I know my greatest weakness but i think it sheds a possible bad light on me...:(. Maybe time to start bsing? lol or maybe they will like someone just being honest for once....:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.