Can't remember the bleepin' name....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DaveinDallas

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall in my whirlwind tour through Robbins during Renal that there was a syndrome where fever induced a nephritis. I am not talking about poststrep nephritis. Anyone remember this? I don't have access to my heavily annotated Robbins right now and I got pimped on it......

Members don't see this ad.

That would be the obvious answer but the attending made it sound like one of those rare, once in a lifetime diseases....I'll give him IgA and if it's not it, then I'll do the dumb third year, deer in the headlights look. Hopefully he'll have mercy.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't the pentad for TTP involve fever, renal failure, thrombocytopenia, mental status changes and microangiopathic hemolytic anemia? It's rare and would be a good one to throw at him!

Isn't the pentad for TTP involve fever, renal failure, thrombocytopenia, mental status changes and microangiopathic hemolytic anemia? It's rare and would be a good one to throw at him!

I have a strict rule of only memorizing up to a triad. Pentad....that's like 10, right?? That's way beyond my level of understanding.

A lot of nephritis might be associated with fever as it is an inflammatory type of process...i.e. a lupus nephritis flare up will have a fever quite often. But as far as a fever causing one, I wouldn't think so. There are not too many illnesses a fever causes until you get into a state of hyperthermia such that you get organ failure and death. IgA nephropathy is often said to follow a febrile/viral illness, so I'm guessing that is what you remember.

All good suggestions above, I might add drug-induced interstitial nephritis to that list.

The boy would probably salivate over that one.....he's a multiply boarded (ID being one of them) older physician that enjoys watching students squirm....

tubulointerstitial??

If you need a nephritis with a fever, always go with pyelo :)