Any good books organized by symptom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pigglewiggle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi--just wondering if there are any good books out there organized by symptom. I am struggling coming up with good DDX on the ward & how to proceed based on symptoms because I have the disease memorized individually and am having trouble putting everything together. I know there are some good PDA programs out there, but are there any books that you all would recommend. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Both Rapid Differential Diagnosis and the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Diagnosis organise by symptom and system respectively, although I'm not entirely sure if this is what you're looking for.

Jonathan

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks so much for the recommendations--I really appreciate it!

Ferri's Clinical Advisor (available in book form or on MD Consult -- your school might subscribe to it)

Some of the Case Files books have pretty good work-ups and differentials for common complaints in that specialty.

Washington Manual Subspecialty Consult Series General Internal Medicine is pretty good for that approach. Chapters are broken up into things like "Hyponatremia" and "Fever." Each chapter then lists a brief bit of pathophys, signs/symptoms, things to watch for, DDx, labs/imaging to order, interpretation, and treatment.

First Aid CS is pretty good at ddx for symptoms