2010-2011 Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

1. What satisfactions do you expect to receive from your activities as a physician?*
Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 2475 CHARACTERS.

2. In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage?*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 760 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

3. Please list collegiate honors, awards, and memberships in honorary societies*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 345 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

4. About how many hours per week, if any, did you spend in work for which you were recompensed during the college year?*
LIMIT WRITING TO 200 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

5. What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 1000 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent.
Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 750 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

7. What aspect of the Columbia-Bassett Program has the most appeal for you?
Enter your response in essay format. LIMIT WRITING TO 750 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here.
Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges.
You may upload only one document here. Merge your information into a single file before uploading it.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Fire Up for P&S! Word of advice: get Columbia's secondary done ASAP. You are not filtered in terms of grades and scores (at least that has been the policy for the last billion years. New management may or may not change this in the future but I doubt it will be this year even if they wanted to), so the order that you submit is more or less the order that you will be review and the order that you will be offered interviews. When you interview doesn't matter, but when you are reviewed can alter your chances.

Also, the Dean of Admissions is Dr. Stephen Nicholas. You'll probably see a Dr. Frantz name here and there, but he is no longer the Dean of Admissions.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, I was wondering when this thread was gonna get bumped to the top.

:luck: GOOD LUCK 2015ERS!!! :luck:

If anyone has questions about applying to/interviewing with the Bassett program, feel free to PM me. I only have limited experience (haven't started at P&S yet, etc.) but I'm happy to help out with basic questions about the program, the secondary, and the interview.

The Bassett office is also really great about responding to questions (www.columbia-bassett.org), so check out their website and see if it looks like something you'd be interested in.

Hi, I'm thinking about applying to Columbia Med this year. Could anyone tell me about the programs and research there, as well as pros and cons? Thanks!

Hi, I'm thinking about applying to Columbia Med this year. Could anyone tell me about the programs and research there, as well as pros and cons? Thanks!

Could you be a little more specific in what you are looking for? I'd recommend reading through the last 10 pages or so of last cycle's thread if you are looking for just general good and bad things, etc, but I'd be happy to answer anything that is a little less broad.

As far as research, it's a top research school so there's ton of research opportunities available. It is very easy to get involved and definitely possible to do clinical research during the year. The best part of our curriculum is I feel that it is very conducive to giving you the confidence to do other things besides study all day. You study until you feel like you have mastered the material, and then you can let go without fearing that only memorizing 10000 facts instead of 10001 will make you drop in the rankings (only grades in the clinical years). You have opportunities to meet great mentors and everyone is assigned an advisory dean who will find you exactly what you are looking for. Mine helped me win two grants for the summer and the lab that I starting working in last semester (We started getting research offers within the first week) has three publications and a book chapter coming out of the work that I've done. I also presented a poster a few weeks back. I'm staying here to do research, everyone who applied for funding for P&S research got it. We are also sending a bunch of kids (funded) to Sloane Kettering, which is available to us and Cornell, abroad, and also to the other coast to do research. So, if you want research, it is available. There is space reserved during your 4th year solely for doing a creative project. It doesn't have to be research, but it is nice to have if you want it. You can do anything with it practically, from humanities to international work.

There are a ton of programs and opportunities at Columbia, let me know what you are interested in and I'll share. We have arguably the most robust and diverse student activities program in the country so there's plenty to choose from.

Here is a near complete list:
Advocacy, Community Service &
Public Awareness

Arts, Literature &
Entertainment

Cultural & Spiritual Organizations

Professional Organizations

Social & Recreational
Activities

Specialty Interest Group

Special Programs

What hospitals are you guys associated with??? is this a strong aspect of columbia compared to other schools? average? or below average?

I have an innate interest in the brain and I can see myself going into something like neurology or neurosurgery in the future. Would there be good opportunities to explore those fields??

Thanks for your help =)

What hospitals are you guys associated with??? is this a strong aspect of columbia compared to other schools? average? or below average?

I have an innate interest in the brain and I can see myself going into something like neurology or neurosurgery in the future. Would there be good opportunities to explore those fields??

Thanks for your help =)

Columbia is associated with New York Presbyterian, mostly the Preby branch though. We are also affiliated with Harlem Hospital, Bassett Hospital, Stamford Hospital, Children's Hospital of NY, Milstein Hospital, the Neurological Institute, the New York State Psych Institute etc etc. Because of our strong ties with Cornell through New York Presbyterian there is a lot of exchange with their affiliates in the city as well, particularly Sloane Kettering. Our hospital base and clinical strengths are definitely well above average. As far as anything to do with the brain (neurosurgery, neurology, and psych), Columbia is extremely powerful. It is probably our strongest area and definitely strongest by reputation. We regularly match 5+ applicants (at a 100% rate usually) into neurosurgery. Other exceptionally strong areas are the other surgical subspecialties, nephrology, and cardiology. There are many opportunities to be involved in the neurological specialties at Columbia. You will exposed to neurosurgery residents within the first month through anatomy and research is very easy to get involved in. I've been working in a cerebrovascular lab myself for some time.

Amazing! very impressive. thanks mmmcdowe.
Hows living in that part of new york??

I'm curious about what students usually do for housing in that area, myself. Definitely applying here, looks like a great place to learn. Good to see more neuro folks!

Good luck to everyone! Really looking forward to meeting interviewees in a few months and pitching in here as much as possible throughout the application season.

I'm curious about what students usually do for housing in that area, myself. Definitely applying here, looks like a great place to learn. Good to see more neuro folks!

mmmcdowe provided an excellent description of housing in the 2009-10 thread (which, by the way, can be a very helpful read if you have some free time to peruse it):

http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9160650#post9160650
Housing first. The three basic options on campus you have are living in Bard Hall, the Bard Towers, and the Georgian apartments. Bard hall in a dormitory (single bedroom w/ sink 10x13. A few have their own bathrooms and other variations, and the price varies a little based on such considerations). There are two kitchens in Bard, but everyone who cooks uses the top one because it is nicer. It has quite a few appliances, so I personally haven't ever had to wait or anything when I cook up there. I do most of my cooking in my room with a hotplate and a George Foreman grill, which is technically illegal but overlooked as a matter of policy as long as no one sets off the fire alarm a bunch of times. About 80% of first years live there first semester with a smattering of students from other years and programs. Some first years choose to move off 2nd semester when they have found roommates. I'd like to point out that you are NOT required to live in Bard Hall if dorm life sounds atrocious to you. You can move off campus into the neighborhood or upper west side, or you can move into apartments. As a first year, unless you are married or find a group of students already living in Bard Towers, you will probably be assigned to the Georgian Apartments. The Towers are definitely the nicer of the two, and living in Bard Hall gives you priority to move into the towers your second year. There are a variety of floor plans in both ranging from studios to 4 bedrooms.

Living in Bard hall is nice, especially if you don't know anyone that you are comfortable moving in with before medical school. It is convenient and a lot of the P&S club revolves around Bard Hall. You are not isolated if you don't live in Bard Hall, which some interviewees have expressed concern about, you'll just have to walk further to meet for various activities (the usual meeting place is the lobby of Bard Hall). Heating is provided by radiators, air conditioning units can be purchased from the 2nd years for about 50 dollars, give or take. Maintenance installs them for free. No electric or water bills, basic cable included. Bard Hall has a gym that is open to all students. It has a full basketball court, a pretty decent pool, a sauna (I think, never verified), three squash courts, a yoga room with mirrors (no ballet barre sadly :( ), 8-9 treadmills, a bunch of other cardio equipment, and a variety of excercise machines. There is also some basic free weight equipment as well and one of those little boxing bags you always see in the old movies that looks like an upside down balloon. Hours are pretty reasonable and its free. There is a 24 hour free weight club that costs about 80 a year with all of the heavy workout stuff that people who really like to lift need. There is also some cardio stuff too. I personally am not a big lifter, but I like to run at weird hours of the night, so I am considering joining. Other than not being able to run at 2AM, I have found the free gym to be adequate and not too crowded.

Bard Hall also has a dining hall. Meal plan is currently three nights a week and is OPTIONAL. It is open to all schools and classes so its a great way to meet other denizens of the CUMC as well as talk up the older students. I find the food to be pretty good. It is catered by the Columbia Catering service and they have been very receptive to people's complaints (weren't enough veggie options at first). Tomorrow is the first night of this semester's meal plan and I can tell you right now that I've been starving without it :laugh:.

As far as the curriculum goes, I've typed myself out for the moment but I admit that I was worried coming in that it would be too fast or too shallow an overview because of time constraints. I'm happy to say that neither appears to be the case. I've look at old exams all the way back to 1999, played around with some Step 1 problems to see if I could do them, and have talked to kids from other NYC schools. Things seem to still be on the up and up. What I do like about Columbia's curriculum is the fact that they don't try to shove a specific type of learning down your throat. Almost everything that doesn't involve a patient is non-mandatory. All lectures (except for psychiatry due to the fact that we watch patient videos every class) are recorded and easily accessed online. All labs except for microbiology have been non-mandatory (Mic is also technically skipable in the sense that they aren't going to be calling you up if you don't attend, but there are quizzes that kind of force you to go. Fortunately, it is like an infectious disease version of House so its actually the most fun small group I have had). So, the bottom line is if you don't like lecture, don't go. If small group doesn't work for you, don't go. It lets you study the way that works best for you rather than struggling to learn a new way of studying. I personally pick and choose what small groups I want to go to and always attend lecture. It is still systems based and another cool thing is that you get a free class per semester in any school or department and Columbia. So, if you want to take a public health class or something that interests you it is free.

Members don't see this ad :)
There may be a 10 dollar fee for AC units now. This may not apply to people who install it when they first move in, but I happened to see something about it the other day when I was doing some apartment stuff. Just don't want to lie to you guys :) On the flip side meal plan is now $5 a night.

I spoke to the adcom office today. The secondary (I think) is online by now or will be soon and they start accepting them next week in terms of them printing them. If you want to be on the top of the pile you might keep this in mind.

I spoke to the adcom office today. The secondary (I think) is online by now or will be soon and they start accepting them next week in terms of them printing them. If you want to be on the top of the pile you might keep this in mind.

According to the website the actual secondary doesn't open up until June 15 (next Tues I believe)...the site itself is up though...

According to the website the actual secondary doesn't open up until June 15 (next Tues I believe)...the site itself is up though...

Yes I looked at that. She mentioned that you could fill it out now, but I am not entirely sure if she might have been referring to the primary. If someone wants to try and has the info required to log in by all means let us know.

Columbia is one of my ideal schools, especially for their strong neurosurgery reputation.. and my GPA and EC's are great and match up with other applicants. But would a 28 MCAT completely Ruin my chances here? Is it even worth applying?

Yes I looked at that. She mentioned that you could fill it out now, but I am not entirely sure if she might have been referring to the primary. If someone wants to try and has the info required to log in by all means let us know.

Last time I checked the only info you could fill out was last year's secondary...which was weird...

Columbia is one of my ideal schools, especially for their strong neurosurgery reputation.. and my GPA and EC's are great and match up with other applicants. But would a 28 MCAT completely Ruin my chances here? Is it even worth applying?
not exactly a WAMC forum.. but the MSAR does say columbia in effect will take some people on potential, not on track record, so take heart?

Yeah, as bleargh said Columbia does its best to seek talent in many forms. The reason why we interview so many students is because the adcom tries to give a shot to a wide range of students and they would do interviews more if they could fit them in. That being said, a 28 is pretty low and I would strongly consider retaking it to better your admissions chances at MD schools in general. I'm sure you wouldn't be the first at Columbia with a 28 to get an interview or be accepted, but you'd need more than just in line ECs.

Don't waste your time unless you are URM and have some crazy ECs. Truth.

I'm wondering do applicants get invited to fill out the Columbia secondary or should we go ahead and create an account? Thanks

I'm wondering do applicants get invited to fill out the Columbia secondary or should we go ahead and create an account? Thanks

bump ^^^ i too would like to know if we can go ahead and submit secondaries now

bump ^^^ i too would like to know if we can go ahead and submit secondaries now

It's not open yet. I have an account from last cycle so I logged in to check, and the link for 2011 isn't active yet.

It's not open yet. I have an account from last cycle so I logged in to check, and the link for 2011 isn't active yet.

It was supposed to open today. I checked and on the homepage, it says that the deadline is passed, but when you click on the link it says it's the application for the entering class of 2011. So, I think it IS up, but they're still working out kinks and updating the application from last year (at least, that's the impression that I'm getting after reading last year's P&S thread)

It was supposed to open today. I checked and on the homepage, it says that the deadline is passed, but when you click on the link it says it's the application for the entering class of 2011. So, I think it IS up, but they're still working out kinks and updating the application from last year (at least, that's the impression that I'm getting after reading last year's P&S thread)
Thanks! I think you are right, and we can start fill it out.

7. What aspect of the Columbia-Bassett Program has the most appeal for you?

This question appears regardless of what program I choose. I picked the regular MD program, so I assume leave this question blank?

Other question, for mother and father questions (about their jobs) if I don't know what my dad does do I put "Unknown" or just leave it blank. Also my mom is deceased, do I put deceased down or do I put that she was a teacher?

thanks!

For the part about uploading any additional info, I know that they say:
"Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges. "

...but is this the same thing as asking an essay question like, "Is there anything else you want us to know?"

I'm just not sure if the majority of people will choose not to upload anything or this is another "optional" essay that isn't really optional. Thoughts?

"Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges. "

...but is this the same thing as asking an essay question like, "Is there anything else you want us to know?"

I'm just not sure if the majority of people will choose not to upload anything or this is another "optional" essay that isn't really optional. Thoughts?

I left it blank in my cycle personally. The only essay that I might write there is if I had some serious past health, criminal, academic, or other issues.

mmmcdowe, thanks a lot dude. You have been really helpful :)

When you guys interviewed last year, were a lot of the interviewees from big name colleges?

mmmcdowe, thanks a lot dude. You have been really helpful :)

When you guys interviewed last year, were a lot of the interviewees from big name colleges?

Yeah, but that's an inevitable part of the fact that the top 50 colleges have a lot of talent and a lot of applicants. It isn't so much a reflection of adcom bias as that. I myself went to ASU and I found that to be pretty common among all of my interviews. Regardless, something like 60 schools are represented in my class.

Yeah, but that's an inevitable part of the fact that the top 50 colleges have a lot of talent and a lot of applicants. It isn't so much a reflection of adcom bias as that. I myself went to ASU and I found that to be pretty common among all of my interviews. Regardless, something like 60 schools are represented in my class.

Are there any Canadians in your class year?

I didn't fill out the optional essay. I would only do so if you have something important to report that isn't included in your AMCAS. And if you're planning on starting some new activity soon or something along those lines, keep in mind that you can always send in an update letter a while from now, so this won't be the only opportunity to provide new information.

While a considerable proportion come from Ivies and other top schools, I can vouch from personal experience/observation that Columbia definitely gives everyone a fair chance and seeks talent foremost. There could be an advantage for the big-name pedigree (I don't know for sure; that's probably the case at most places), but there certainly isn't a bias against applicants from other schools.

thanks for answer my question :)

another thing: it asks for undergraduate GPA at my primary institution-- should I write down what is on my official transcript or, since I had to retake one course, should I recalculate it to factor in both the original and new grade? i also took summer school at another institution so AMCAS kind of just combined all these grades together so that cumulative GPA doesn't really reflect my GPA at any one institution...

I talked to the adcom today and they said to fill out the secondary. No need to wait for an email.

I am reapplicant and it just shows my last years app and no new one. What do you guys see when you log in?

Prompts:

2. In what collegiate extracurricular activities did you engage?*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 760 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

3. Please list collegiate honors, awards, and memberships in honorary societies*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 345 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

5. What sort of work did you do (include summer employment)?*
Enter your response in list format using commas. LIMIT WRITING TO 1000 CHARACTERS. Do not use return or enter.

6. If your education has been interrupted for any reason, please indicate briefly the reasons, the duration of the interruption and how your time was spent.

If you have additional information that you would like to include with your application, compose a document offline in a word processor and upload it here.
Use this uploaded document to record any information that does not fit into the application form, including additional majors or colleges.
You may upload only one document here. Merge your information into a single file before uploading it.

:luck: with your application!

Hey guys,

I'm really confused about Columbia's secondary essays.
For prompts 2 & 3, how will this be different from our Amcas applications? The only difference I see is if we used up all 15 slots. When it says list format, do we still include a brief description of each activity and award? The limits seems small for a comprehensive list if that's what their looking for.

For number 5, their specifically talking about work I did at a job right? I'm assuming unpaid research would be inappropriate to discuss here. If so, I do not submit an essay for this right? Or do I upload a file that says I did not work through college?

For 6, how long of an interruption would it need to be to even mention? I took Winter quarter 2010 off to study for the MCAT but I don't think that's something they want to hear.

Thanks

For #2 the limit on characters is very small. I doubt for this one they want a description...just my guess.

Believe it or not a lot of people leave out extra curriculars on their amcas because they don't think they are professional enough. Columbia is just giving everyone the chance to display any and all of their talents. If you have nothing new, just repeat. I wouldn't worry about descriptions, but if you have space more power to you ;)

So is there any word on whether or not we can submit this thing? Has anyone tried? Just trying to get an idea of what my time-line is for this one. Thanks!

So is there any word on whether or not we can submit this thing? Has anyone tried? Just trying to get an idea of what my time-line is for this one. Thanks!

I submitted. Worst that happens is they make me re-fill it out or something? Oh well, the photo submission form isn't even available yet.

I submitted. Worst that happens is they make me re-fill it out or something? Oh well, the photo submission form isn't even available yet.

I'm going to call tomorrow morning to double check, but the final submission instructions made it sound like they aren't using the photo submission form this year. They still want a passport photo with your name & SSN, but without the form. maybe (?). I'll post when I find out.

I just submitted the AMCAS.... c'mon guys, stop being so overachiever... :( (someone already SUBMITTED??)

anyway, columbia is my top choice, i suppose i should get started...

I just submitted the AMCAS.... c'mon guys, stop being so overachiever... :( (someone already SUBMITTED??)

anyway, columbia is my top choice, i suppose i should get started...

HAHA I have to be an overachiever I'm a reapplicant :(

they said to go ahead and send in the passport photo. no form this year

Columbia is associated with New York Presbyterian, mostly the Preby branch though. We are also affiliated with Harlem Hospital, Bassett Hospital, Stamford Hospital, Children's Hospital of NY, Milstein Hospital, the Neurological Institute, the New York State Psych Institute etc etc. Because of our strong ties with Cornell through New York Presbyterian there is a lot of exchange with their affiliates in the city as well, particularly Sloane Kettering. Our hospital base and clinical strengths are definitely well above average. As far as anything to do with the brain (neurosurgery, neurology, and psych), Columbia is extremely powerful. It is probably our strongest area and definitely strongest by reputation. We regularly match 5+ applicants (at a 100% rate usually) into neurosurgery. Other exceptionally strong areas are the other surgical subspecialties, nephrology, and cardiology. There are many opportunities to be involved in the neurological specialties at Columbia. You will exposed to neurosurgery residents within the first month through anatomy and research is very easy to get involved in. I've been working in a cerebrovascular lab myself for some time.

Just a FYI (nothing to diminish that Columbia is awesome), but the Cornell NYP-Sloan Kettering connection is often over-stated on these boards. Any med student in NYC can rotate through there, do research there over a summer, etc. I know a Sinai student doing clinical research there during the year, I met a NYU student who did a summer of research there (interested in rad-onc). I even know a rising MS2 at Stanford all the way out on the West Coast who's there 16 weeks this summer.

If there's one thing I learned after interviewing at all the Manhattan schools, is that they are all intimately connected. Most docs there have stayed in Manhattan most of their lives and done various elements of their training at many different institutions in the city. Med school at Columbia, residency at NYU, fellowship at Sinai, etc. It's absolutely unique compared to any other US city in that Manhattan does a have concentration of some of the best hospitals and medical programs in the country...all within close proximity, and all with enough patients to go around. To me, that was always the advantage of going to med school in Manhattan. The networking opportunities are nearly endless with so many great schools close by and easy to get involved in. I do however, don't believe this is unique to Columbia, at least in comparison to other NYC schools. Being in Manhattan means it's relatively easy to rotate at any of these places for an away. Especially, because you're already living in the city to begin with. Anyway, just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.