2010-2011 Florida International University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Whether or not you will be a full-time student, please provide details of your activities for the application year. Character limit 600 (including spaces).

You must answer all 4 essays. (Limit each essay to 1200 characters including spaces.)

1. Of the experiences listed on your AMCAS application, which one activity challenged you and/or your thinking and strengthened your desire to be a physician and why?

2. Why are you specifically interested in the FIU Herbert Wertheim College of Medicine? Do you have a connection or bond to South Florida?

3. What makes you a unique individual? How will you contribute to the diversity of the student body at the College of Medicine?

4. Identify any traits, experiences, challenges, interests, etc. that a professor or advisor would not normally know about you and that you have not already written about in your AMCAS application. Is there anything else that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you?

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a prompt and if so, what is it?

I have submitted my secondary app. I just saw my status changed to preliminary review complete yesterday. Anyone else get that?

For those completing the secondary beware of saving on the essay page. I'm out of town for a wedding and I was taking some time to complete secondaries on a business center computer when it flashed a mandatory reboot warning. I saved my 3.5 essays (was almost done with my last one), and logged out/restarted. When I logged back in all my essay spots were blank.

I have submitted my secondary app. I just saw my status changed to preliminary review complete yesterday. Anyone else get that?

whoa yeah mine says that too. i think i submitted on july 5th or 6th

For those completing the secondary beware of saving on the essay page. I'm out of town for a wedding and I was taking some time to complete secondaries on a business center computer when it flashed a mandatory reboot warning. I saved my 3.5 essays (was almost done with my last one), and logged out/restarted. When I logged back in all my essay spots were blank.

I learned my lesson with that already lol. I always write my essays on word now before copying them over to the actual application.

quick question ... does fiu allow pre-interview updates? bc i'm trying to fill out the 'what are you doing this year' question, and i don't have a job yet and will not be a full time student. i want to be like "i'm looking for X kind of job, and also plan to Y and Z in my spare time. i will update the admission office when i know more (except worded better of course)."
thoughts?

quick question ... does fiu allow pre-interview updates? bc i'm trying to fill out the 'what are you doing this year' question, and i don't have a job yet and will not be a full time student. i want to be like "i'm looking for X kind of job, and also plan to Y and Z in my spare time. i will update the admission office when i know more (except worded better of course)."
thoughts?

Thats sort of what I am going to do, it shuold be fine

On another note, I am super excited about FIU- an interview would be awesome and if nothing else, a trip to the beach!

Thats sort of what I am going to do, it shuold be fine

On another note, I am super excited about FIU- an interview would be awesome and if nothing else, a trip to the beach!

lol i totally agree! except for me it would be the beach and then the harry potter theme park!! :D

thoughts?

Yes you can send updates once you have submitted. I think the max you can update is upto 3 times.

Anyone get a status change besides "Secondary Application Completed" recently?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nope, I just got the email that said the review process would take about 2-3 weeks.

hmmm...I got an email that said my app was complete and they have my letters but it doesn't say anything about a time period in the e-mail. So is it 2-3 weeks that they begin scheduling interviews? Or 2-3 weeks before they update your status either rejecting or saying 'competitive for interview' (like UCF)?

No clue. I was looking at the interview thread from last year and I think fiu was one of them that notified of interviews around a month after completion, or a bit earlier. However, it's hard to tell when you apply so early.

My status is still at "preliminary review complete". Why do I get a bad feeling about that? ;x

Quick question regarding the entering of LORs on the Secondary-
Do I write word-for-word what FIU will receive from AMCAS? Like my letter packet? Because that is what my undergrad institution does, so technically AMCAS is expecting only one letter, from one person (the pre-health office)
Do I just put that one person's name then?
Or do I list out all of the names of my professors whom I asked for letters?

Well hey, that's better than "Secondary Application Complete," which is what mine has been at for a week.

When were you complete? I would call, but I'd say its pretty early in the cycle for me to already be harassing admissions so I'm gonna be patient. :laugh:

mine changed from complete --> prelim review complete in one day. it feels rather ominous. :laugh:

I was complete on the 9th, and I'm still at "complete". That's weird.

Maybe it's based strictly on stats and they review the file of the applicants with better stats first?

Last edited:
i doubt it. my undergrad gpa is quite low even though my MCAT is fine.

Ill probably be in the same boat, although I did do my undergrad at FIU. Hope that goes in my favor. :)

Quick question regarding the entering of LORs on the Secondary-
Do I write word-for-word what FIU will receive from AMCAS? Like my letter packet? Because that is what my undergrad institution does, so technically AMCAS is expecting only one letter, from one person (the pre-health office)
Do I just put that one person's name then?
Or do I list out all of the names of my professors whom I asked for letters?

bump?

Just put down the name of the person submitting the committee letter... don't list all the individual profs names.

Has anyone heard anything from this school recently? I've had "preliminary review complete" since 7/9

At about this point last year (based on last yr's thread), they started sending out interview invites...so hopefully we hear from them soon.

Gotta cross my fingers, hopefully I hear something soon, I would love to get an interview here.

Good luck everybody. I've been complete for about a week and a half, but my second MCAT score came in yesterday. Hopefully that doesn't hold things up too much :) I see interview invites coming for everyone! :)

Good luck everybody. I've been complete for about a week and a half, but my second MCAT score came in yesterday. Hopefully that doesn't hold things up too much :) I see interview invites coming for everyone! :)

Thanks, I hope so too!! Hope you did well on your MCAT btw :)

Just put down the name of the person submitting the committee letter... don't list all the individual profs names.

Has anyone heard anything from this school recently? I've had "preliminary review complete" since 7/9

thank you!

so after reading the above posts ... we don't know if preliminary review completed means anything, good, bad, or otherwise? mine also changed from complete to p.r.c. within a day.
anyone get any new status updates or interview invites recently?

my status just changed to preliminary review complete 2 days after I submitted...hope to hear some good news soon!

Did anyone get an official "complete" email? I got an automated complete email immediately after I submitted the application, but I didn't get an email after that that says I am officially complete. Am I just paranoid? Also, my status hasn't changed from complete yet and I've been there since the 8th.

I don't think we know if it's good or not yet. I think the only way to guess at it would be using stats. Mine has not changed yet and I have a 3.3 cgpa and 28Q mcat, so based on just my situation, I'd say it's not low numbers screening because mine are pretty craptastic. :(

I don't think we know if it's good or not yet. I think the only way to guess at it would be using stats. Mine has not changed yet and I have a 3.3 cgpa and 28Q mcat, so based on just my situation, I'd say it's not low numbers screening because mine are pretty craptastic. :(

hey, we are almost application twins!! i have a 3.29 cgpa and mcats 30O and 27Q. except my status has changed

My theory is this: Each person on the ADCOM is given several applications to look over and complete for "preliminary screening". The people who have the applications that haven't had their status change yet were probably assigned to faculty that haven't looked over the apps yet. Just my theory.

hey, we are almost application twins!! i have a 3.29 cgpa and mcats 30O and 27Q. except my status has changed

hey i'm really similar to you only NOT a FL resident...i have some strong ties to south FL though so i'm going to emphasize that. hopefully it'll help. i love FIU <3

hey i'm really similar to you only NOT a FL resident...i have some strong ties to south FL though so i'm going to emphasize that. hopefully it'll help. i love FIU <3

awesome :cool:
i'm not a FL resident either tho ... i just love fiu :D

I guess I'm also another long lost twin since I have similar stats as well lol. In-state tho :)

okay so maybe i'm just being stupid but what's the difference between the 3rd and 4th question??? i wrote the last one first and now i'm like whatttt am i supposed to write for the 3rd blahhh

okay so maybe i'm just being stupid but what's the difference between the 3rd and 4th question??? i wrote the last one first and now i'm like whatttt am i supposed to write for the 3rd blahhh

i approached the third one as your standard diversity question, pretty much. the fourth i focused on unique experiences, personal characteristics that professors in a big lecture hall wouldn't know about ... i thought of it as a place to write stuff you want the admissions committee to know, but that wouldnt be found in letters of rec.
i hope this helps :)

Status
Not open for further replies.