2010-2011 Florida State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Please limit your answers to 500 words per question.

Travel
Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.

Fun And Diversion
Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.)

Miscellaneous
Identify any other traits, habits, experiences, interests, etc., that a professor or advisor would not normally learn about you.

Parents
For both mother and father, give the following:
Where they were raised
4-5 traits that would describe him/her to a stranger
Traits you get from him/her
Your rapport with him/her
His/her hobbies or interests

Siblings
Give names, ages and a few brief comments about your brothers and sisters.

Practice Vision
In what field of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now?

ACT/SAT Scores (if any)
Please enter your ACT and SAT scores if you have taken these tests.

Self-Critical Essay
Write a critical analysis of your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine and the realization of your professional ambitions.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To all that are applying.

I'm a M2 at FSU and will do my best to answer any questions you guys have throughout the year. I am sure I will post my story at a later date, but various versions of it are in last year's application thread if you're interested.

I'd prefer most questions to be kept in the thread, but under special circumstances you can PM me. ;)

To all that are applying.

I'm a M2 at FSU and will do my best to answer any questions you guys have throughout the year. I am sure I will post my story at a later date, but various versions of it are in last year's application thread if you're interested.

I'd prefer most questions to be kept in the thread, but under special circumstances you can PM me. ;)

How about putting a gold star on top of my application? Can you do that, too? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
C/O 2014 here!! I guess by the time alot of people check this thread out I will be officially a MS1

I would love to help in any questions secondary application and interview!! PM me if you it to be private... Good luck to all. Its a long process but dont ever lose hope!

I am curious as to how difficult it is for out of state students to be accepted at FSU's medical school. I have an older version of the MSAR and it says that there were only 2 out of state students enrolled :(

I grew up in Florida and really want to return and both of my parents are alum of FSU so I was kind of bred to have a love for FSU. I just don't want to waste my money applying if my app is going to be thrown out because i'm OOS.

I am curious as to how difficult it is for out of state students to be accepted at FSU's medical school. I have an older version of the MSAR and it says that there were only 2 out of state students enrolled :(

I grew up in Florida and really want to return and both of my parents are alum of FSU so I was kind of bred to have a love for FSU. I just don't want to waste my money applying if my app is going to be thrown out because i'm OOS.

The MSAR is of course accurate...but perhaps you could be one of those 2? My philosophy is that you never know until you try! :) I don't think they'll automatically throw out your app if you show that you are serious about their school. Also from my limited experience with OOS in health professions school...the OOS students they admit usually have a connection to FL in some way (sneaky!): they were either born here or have a lot of family here and express an interest in living/practicing in FL. Best of luck to you!

We have a few OOS students in each class, but not many. One of them in my class is actually from Georgia and lives closer to Tallahassee than 90% of the students.

That being said, I think most people are INSANE to go to FSU if OOS unless they are 100% sure they are doing HPSP or something. The OOS tuition is greater than 50k a year.

They really don't care much about alumni status with parents I don't think, simply because the school is subsidized with state taxes and their mission is keeping people in Florida, which everyone says they want to do but statistics show their best bet is taking someone from Florida to stay in Florida. Growing up in Florida may help.

The tuition is just so ridiculous, it seems a wiser investment to go somewhere cheaper and do residency down here.

Over 400 views and no posts in such a long time? Yeesh..don't let me down people.

Over 400 views and no posts in such a long time? Yeesh..don't let me down people.

MossPoh- I had to track you down on the new thread, haha sorry!

So I am not accepted OR denied yet... and it's friday of orientation. Most everyone else on our thread seems has been denied this week. In your first year, you mentioned there were students who did drop during the summer session. Did any leave during the first week of classes (after orientation week), or did they leave later in the summer session??

Yeah I am going to be an OOS...But I live very close to FSU...right outside the border of GA/FL....I hope this could increase my chances in going to FSU....I have mediocre GPA...and taking the MCAT this July....

Not sure if OOS applicants have to have stellar GPA/MCAT...any thoughts?

Yeah I am going to be an OOS...But I live very close to FSU...right outside the border of GA/FL....I hope this could increase my chances in going to FSU....I have mediocre GPA...and taking the MCAT this July....

Not sure if OOS applicants have to have stellar GPA/MCAT...any thoughts?

If you live somewhere like Thomasville I THINK they give you a little bit more of an edge that Wisconsin or something. Your tuition would still be ridiculous. Doesn't hurt to try right?

Members don't see this ad :)
MossPoh- I had to track you down on the new thread, haha sorry!

So I am not accepted OR denied yet... and it's friday of orientation. Most everyone else on our thread seems has been denied this week. In your first year, you mentioned there were students who did drop during the summer session. Did any leave during the first week of classes (after orientation week), or did they leave later in the summer session??

From my understanding, everyone but ONE person showed up. She is supposedly coming but is "stuck" in Europe and will show up for the first day of class. I don't know the details behind it. If you still haven't gotten notice by Monday around 10 or 11 a.m. then contact me and I will see if I can find anything out. You can add me on fb if you want, since I'll be more likely to check that.

Yeah I am right there in GA...I know tuition will be insane, but if I could get a shot at that school that would great bc I am real close to home ...and yeah it doesn't hurt to try too...:thumbup:

We have a guy in my class from Thomasville. I do think they factor it in and know the region pretty well. I THINK there is a girl from Thomasville in the class of 2012 as well.

That is some good stuff...I should be submitting my application this week, after finishing up the PS this weekend...

Do they give everyone secondaries...or do a prelim screen?

No clue. I just know I got one. ;)

This is my first time posting, but I wanted to get in on the ground floor!

I'm a recent FSU grad who applied last cycle and was waitlisted (then eventually rejected) at FSUCOM. Looking back, I could have applied a lot earlier, so that's what I'm doing this time around. I sent my AMCAS in the hour that it opened! I really hope to get into FSU, although I'll certainly go anywhere I'm accepted.

I'm going to meet with Dana in Admissions in a couple of weeks to talk about what I need to do to get accepted this time. However, other than completing my secondary ASAP, I don't really see anything else that I can do. I improved my GPA in my last undergrad semester, my MCAT is above average for FSU and I have a TON of clinical experience. For the time being I'm working on some more shadowing and I want to do another medical mission trip.

But other than that...what else should I do???

I'm a recent FSU grad who applied last cycle and was waitlisted (then eventually rejected) at FSUCOM. Looking back, I could have applied a lot earlier, so that's what I'm doing this time around. I sent my AMCAS in the hour that it opened! I really hope to get into FSU, although I'll certainly go anywhere I'm accepted.

I'm going to meet with Dana in Admissions in a couple of weeks to talk about what I need to do to get accepted this time. However, other than completing my secondary ASAP, I don't really see anything else that I can do. I improved my GPA in my last undergrad semester, my MCAT is above average for FSU and I have a TON of clinical experience. For the time being I'm working on some more shadowing and I want to do another medical mission trip.

Have you looked into Early Admission into FSUCOM if it is your very top school? I talked to a few of my classmates (c/o14) who went to FSU undergrad and quite a few did Early Decision and was successful.

I think that you are doing all you can to improve your chances. It is a big guessing game, they dont tell us what they are looking for or why they chose us. Just that we fit into their mission statement

Most people that went through a second application cycle improved grades, improved MCAT, maybe added more volunteering or work experience. They stayed hungry. There really isn't much more you CAN do than that.

Apply to other schools, get accepted there, you don't need FSU.

Apply to other schools, get accepted there, you don't need FSU.

Eh?

Last year (and possibly many years to come) was especially rough if you applied late. Nobody was turning down seats. If you are above the averages, from FSU for undergrad AND want to go here over other places then early decision will probably work in your favor. I have a lot of friends that did it and it was great for them. They knew they were accepted early and just chilled the rest of the year.

I want to apply to FSU

Last edited:
Who knows. Try and find out. There is an obvious selection preference for Florida residents from rural and underserved areas. The no-ECs because you were busy is an awful excuse honestly. There are thousands of other people who managed it just find. IF you have literally NOTHING besides grades and an MCAT then they may not be too interested. I'm not part of the decision process, so what I think means jack. Apply and see. Nobody here will be able to quantify your chances.

hey guys.. I am new here.. so hello to everyone..
I am a junior student with biochem major at FSU right now.. I haven't taken my MCAT yet but most likely will at Aug.20.
Here's my resume:
3.9 Science GPA,
most likely above 30 MCAT
held positions in pre-med organizations and other clubs
volunteer here and there but not a lot
no shadowing experience
I spend most of my time studying (since I am an international student but have green card) to get A's in classes therefore I didn't really have time to shadow doctors and volunteer stuff..
I also work in a research lab right now for syntheic nanoscience, hope to publish a paper at the end -.-

I really don't want to waste a year to wait till next year to apply since apparently i need more clinical experience and volunteering.. What are my chances to get into FSU med school if I apply this year? I need your advices my friends.

I am looking forward to your feedbacks and if you have any questions for me, I will be very happy to answer them and help you as well.

Have a good night Tallhassee:sleep:
:thumbup: you are ok, might want to shadow at least one doc just for the experience

:thumbup: you are ok, might want to shadow at least one doc just for the experience

yeah I've been working at Big Bend Hospice and other places where I can find clinical experience and to work in a hospital like settings.

Gotta hit up that TMH ER, Kai! Btw I haven't forgotten to send you all the AMSA Recruitment stuff.

~ Mickey

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNcfjxldI0o[/YOUTUBE]

:D

They made that during test week and kept harassing me to do it. I was way too irritated the entire time and honestly wanted to throw something at them. It did come out nice, but for those few hours it was annoying as ****. (I added the stars)

Hopeful matriculate for next year! Applied very late last year and got no love from my home institution (for 2 years) :( Improved application and hopefully I'll be back in Tally for 2015:D:D!

c/o of 2014 will try and beat that video :thumbup::thumbup:

Class of 2014 is like super gunner. That was just a random thing they did and really didn't take much in the way of planning. ;) Your class will be too busy studying for boards a year in advance to find the time to do that. ;)

I've heard that FSU starts sending secondaries relatively early, like late June. Is this true?

Sure? The send secondaries about the same time as most places. EDP gets priority and then they start interviewing other applicants around the end of september beginning of october. At least that was my experience.

I have a completed app in AMCAS, but my 2nd MCAT score won't be in until mid-July. Since I already have an MCAT score do you think they'll send a secondary or wait? I know FSU is a school that screens primaries, and that's why I ask.

I have a completed app in AMCAS, but my 2nd MCAT score won't be in until mid-July. Since I already have an MCAT score do you think they'll send a secondary or wait? I know FSU is a school that screens primaries, and that's why I ask.

They do screen primaries, but I have been told that they will send a secondary without having MCAT scores in.

Class of 2014 is like super gunner. That was just a random thing they did and really didn't take much in the way of planning. ;) Your class will be too busy studying for boards a year in advance to find the time to do that. ;)
Hey now. We are not.

Yeah, got my secondary this morning...except I can't access the websites in the email...

really? it worked for me. try going on the website manually. you can get to the page yourself. GL!

For the parent question, are we supposed to write an essay about that or bullet point it? I know that's probably a stupid question. And for the SAT/ACT score, we just put it in as 1 or 2 sentences, right? I imagine they're not looking for a reflective essay on how we scored.

My sections on parents, siblings, and hobbies were all short paragraphs. And for the act question, I didnt even write a sentence. Just wrote the test and score. All the others I wrote about 500 words.

I got my secondary this morning too!! =] I just don't know what to write about under miscellaneous.. heh, lol. any ideas? o_O

Prompts:

Please limit your answers to 500 words per question.

Travel
Indicate your significant travel experiences and include the circumstances.

What if we could never really afford traveling anywhere? Do you think it would be appropriate to put down financial burden?

I have significant plans in the future once I make a few bucks as MD....advice please.

Last edited:
What if we could never really afford traveling anywhere? Do you think it would be appropriate to put down financial burden?

I have significant plans in the future once I make a few bucks as MD....advice please.

It isn't a requirement. It is just a box asking if you have. They won't look at it and say, "Oh he/she never traveled abroad? They are out of here!". They are very aware that people don't have money to go backpacking in europe and what not.

For the rest of the stuff, write it how you want. I did bullets for damn near everything on mine. I know how much it sucks to read essays and just wanted to hit major points, so I bulleted stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.