2010-2011 Tulane Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

(1) Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 Words Max.)

(2) Have you graduated? If yes, what have you been pursuing since you graduated? (150 Words Max.)

(3) Are you participating or have participated in a study abroad program at your university? If yes, please give a short description (100 words max)

(4) What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had? (150 Words Max.)

(5) List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college. (150 Words Max.)

(6) Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g. athletics, art, music, items you collect, genre or favorite author reading material). (150 Words Max.)

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone know about Tulane's record on accepting out-of-state students? Do they show any preference for remaining within the region (I'm from Florida)? Tulane's program looks awesome, I'm excited about applying!

I think Tulane is fairly generous with OOS'rs. I don't think they necessarily show preference for the region extending all the way to florida.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if they accept AP credit? Specifically for the English requirement.

Does anyone know about Tulane's record on accepting out-of-state students? Do they show any preference for remaining within the region (I'm from Florida)? Tulane's program looks awesome, I'm excited about applying!

They definitely accept a lot of out of staters. There is a bit of preference given to those from Lousiana, but I don't think being from Florida would give you any particular benefit. Above all, however, Tulane loves to hear from people that are excited about their program, so if you really are interested, let them know it, and they'll be even more interested in you!

Does Tulane accpet international students. I am a Canadian citizen and wanted to apply here.
Thanks,
maadaputtar

Does Tulane accpet international students. I am a Canadian citizen and wanted to apply here.
Thanks,
maadaputtar

Do Canadians know what telephones are? You should pick one up and call the admissions office 'eh. Or maybe you could go to the admissions website to figure it out you hoser.

Anybody know who we should get in contact with, besides Dr. Beckman, to let Tulane know that we are greatly interested?

Anybody know who we should get in contact with, besides Dr. Beckman, to let Tulane know that we are greatly interested?

I am super interested in Tulane as well (love NOLA and trop med!), but was not aware that we could, or that it is advisable to, call medical schools and let them know that they are essentially our top choice.

Anyone have any comments on this?

I wouldn't discount Dr. Beckman's ability to help you so quickly. Pretty sure my letter of interest to her got me the interview just as I thought my file was circling the pit of re-jection.

Just got this one! So excited!

(1) Briefly describe the reasons for your interest in Tulane University School of Medicine. (150 Words Max.)

(2) Have you graduated? If yes, what have you been pursuing since you graduated? (150 Words Max.)

(3) Are you participating or have participated in a study abroad program at your university? If yes, please give a short description (100 words max)

(4) What was the single most meaningful volunteer experience you have had? (150 Words Max.)

(5) List any leadership positions, in clubs or organizations, you may have held during college. (150 Words Max.)

(6) Please list your hobbies and major non-academic interests (e.g. athletics, art, music, items you collect, genre or favorite author reading material). (150 Words Max.)

Just got this one! So excited!

Thanks for posting this! Six questions... but they don't seem too bad (unlike Loyola's 7 questions that overall require a lot more thinking IMO lol)

New orleans cares vs baton rouge lead?

Members don't see this ad :)
When they say list any leadership activities...I know this is a stupid question, but do they literally mean just list? Or list/describe? Or write us a small paragraph about what you have done and what you learned from it etc. How is this any different than our work/activities section on the amcas app?

When they say list any leadership activities...I know this is a stupid question, but do they literally mean just list? Or list/describe? Or write us a small paragraph about what you have done and what you learned from it etc. How is this any different than our work/activities section on the amcas app?

I'm wondering this as well, should we describe them a little bit?

Also:

For, #2 does it mean since we graduated from undergraduate, or graduated in general? I am in a graduate masters program so technically I am still in school. Last year's Tulane application specifically said "from an undergraduate university", but since this year's does not say that, I'm thinking that I shouldn't write anything since I am still a student. What do you guys think

Also, for #6, it says to list hobbies and non-academic interests, but are you guys describing them at all? I mean, 150 word limit... just listing my interests is like 8 words haha.

how many things are you guys listing for the hobbies stuff?

I actually wrote out a paragraph for the hobbies one. I listed my favorite author, the types of books she writes, and the last book I read of hers, a few outdoor water sports that I love to do, and cooking, which I actually listed as a hobby on my AMCAS application, since I have taken a bunch of classes in different types of cuisines.

is it fine to put down both the new orlean vares and the baton rouge program? Also for the volunteer essay, do you think that is referring to just any volunteering or clinically related volunteering like at a hospital?

Last edited:
Hey this may seem like a dumb question, but what is New Orleans CARES? When i clicked the link to explain more, it really only talked about the Baton Rouge program.

Hmm, I applied to Tulane but have not yet received the app..I submitted on the first. :(

I did however receive two identical emails from two universities to which I applied...lol.

I think I'm going to go with the list/describe option for the leadership and hobbies questions. This is a great chance for them to get to know you; why not really give them a sense of who you are? For example, if I just say "Baking, yoga, etc.," I don't think that will mean as much as if I give a short description of why I love these things and what they mean to me.

I am working on this secondary right now, but had a quick question about the hobbies part. For those of you who listed hobbies on your AMCAS, are you going to write about different hobbies than what you put on AMCAS?

I received the secondary application link, but when I plug in my email and AMCAS ID, all I get is:

Thank you for registering! Thank you for your registration request submission. You should print or save this page for your records. The information below can be used to track your registration should you have any questions.

How do I get to the secondary application???
(I applied to this school last year FYI)

I'm getting exactly the same thing. I've tried it in different browsers as well (Safari, Chrome, FireFox).

I received the secondary application link, but when I plug in my email and AMCAS ID, all I get is:

Thank you for registering! Thank you for your registration request submission. You should print or save this page for your records. The information below can be used to track your registration should you have any questions.

How do I get to the secondary application???
(I applied to this school last year FYI)

these are good questions. should we write a small description/paragraph about each EC/activity we've done after we've graduated. should we do the same for our leadership positions?

is it just me, or do these questions seem similar to what we put on AMCAS?

yea i'm interested in this as well. I mean if you just list it without describing, its no where near 150 words so...

I talked about my job for the activities part- I think they want to know what is taking up your 40hrs a week. For the activities I just listed them, because that's what they asked for. It would be nice to embellish, but they may dislike trying to dig through the fluff to find out what you actually like and do- just an interpretation, hope it works for me! Just submitted.

Hey, just wondering what you guys put for the why Tulane question. I'm looking at their website, but nothing really stands out to me other than their focus on diversity in the classroom body. I'm a minority, so I guess I could write something about that. Anything else? Thanks guys!

With the volume of people on SDN getting secondaries from Tulane, I was worried I was the only one...I wonder where our secondaries are....

Me three! It's good to know I am not alone. I was verified on the June 1st. Maybe they are doing instate people first?

Me three! It's good to know I am not alone. I was verified on the June 1st. Maybe they are doing instate people first?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. They're probably dividing the applicants into several groups and sending them out emails every other day or something since they have so many applicants. I know a lot of people received Boston secondaries but I haven't heard from them yet.

As long as you know they don't screen for secondaries, you're doing anything wrong.

I'm OOS and received mine yesterday. I submitted AMCAS on 6/11 and was verified on 6/22. Check your spam folder just incase it wound up there. I have one of secondaries in there.

I haven't received my secondary yet either. It looks like most people still waiting are Californians. Any non- Californians still waiting for the 2ndary despite being processed by the 25th?

I haven't received my secondary yet either. It looks like most people still waiting are Californians. Any non- Californians still waiting for the 2ndary despite being processed by the 25th?

I'm in Michigan, verified 6/22 and still nothing. :(

This is pure speculation, but I suspect that the secondaries may have been separated / sent out in alphabetical order

Not sure..I'm OOS and end of the alphabet and I received mine yesterday afternoon..submitted this morning.

I like the Californian theory...bc that's my case! haha...guess I'm just being neurotic and was hoping I could be one of the "earlier" batches...

This is pure speculation, but I suspect that the secondaries may have been separated / sent out in alphabetical order

I know they're not sent in alphabetical order or by date of submission; my friend who's last name comes after mine and submitted her app after me has already received it. I'm a CA resident, but also an MD/PhD applicant. I wonder what's going on?

When do you all think it is safe to call and inquire?

Y'all were right. I totally worry too much haha, just got my secondary (2:45pm EST).

I received mine today about an hour ago...I was wondering, is the Baton Rouge program checkbox indicating an application to the program described in the PDF and the New Orleans Cares is the regular program? They're not well-defined in the PDF more information file...:( I assume for "traditional" applicants the norm is new orleans?

Can someone briefly explain New Orleans Cares vs Baton Rogue? I can't open the pdf when I clicked more information..

Woo, done, that wasn't too bad. $125 though, geeeeez.

I'm thinking the same thing...I presume New Orleans is the normal program and hte Baton Rouge program is the option listed in the PDF...I think you can apply for both? There is the option for both to be checked. Personally, it's not well-described in the PDF since all it says is that Baton Rouge is a new campus that was just opened in BAton Rouge and the campus will be at the hospital there and we get unique clinical experiences..or something to that effect.

One thing I wanted to throw out there was that I doubt Tulane wants a description of our activities/hobbies or whatever. If htey wanted a description, the application would probably say "Describe" rather than simply "List".

I do get where a lot of people are coming from when they say "but it's a chance to understand who we are and what our thought processes are in engaging in certain hobbies.."

Y'all were right. I totally worry too much haha, just got my secondary (2:45pm EST).

Haha mine was waiting for me when I got home from work today. But I was getting anxious as well.

Submitted! I don't think they have some sort of online application centre where you can track your application status, right? It's all via email from this point, I assume...and LOR submission via AMCAS is just.."automatic"..so hopefully they get it?

Also, did anyone apply to both Baton Rouge and New Orlean programs? I did because..both are cool programs! Do you think that'll be an issue? Or am I just being crazy?

Last edited:
i noticed that tulane only accepts a maximum of 3 letters of recommendation. im submitting a letter packet (has 5 LORs). is that okay?

so i emailed the admissions office about not receiving my secondary yet. they actually said that they had not received my application. I've sent my app out twice now (re-sent with new letter of rec. I triple checked that I had tulane down so I don't have a clue what's going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.