2010-2011 University of Maryland Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:

Have you done independent research or study? (1200 character max.)

If you are a recent graduate (2010), please indicate what you plan to do during the coming year. (1000 character max.)

Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine. (1500 character max.)

Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service. (1500 character max.)

What does it mean to enter into a profession? (1500 character max.)

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Definately on my list...Lets get this show on the road! GoodLuck to other apps.:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to the open house now thanks to you, Clint--I didn't even know about it and it's my top choice school! :p

What did you think of the open house? I found it very helpful! And thought it was AWESOME that we got to see the anatomy lab during the tours. :D

What did you think of the open house? I found it very helpful! And thought it was AWESOME that we got to see the anatomy lab during the tours. :D

That's funny. They showed you more during the open house than on the interview day.

has anyone heard anything from maryland yet?

I went to the open house as well. It was very informative; however, I'm not a fan of the ABC grading system. The anatomy lab visit was cool!

I went to the open house too. Yea, it seems like they are never going to change the ABC grading. The combined programs seemed to be lacking a bit, but as for straight MD, it sounds awesome.

.I'm starting on the secondaries based on last years prompt which I assume is the same because its the same the year before last also. For the question "Please describe and explain below any academic problems which you might have had while in college and/or graduate or professional school. Please include withdrawals, incompletes, poor grades, etc. (1000 character limit)"
Is it alright to leave it blank? I havn't really had too much problems, I mean in my first semester I got a 3.2GPA from getting 3 B's, also I had a very poor verbal score on my first try on the mcats, is that something to mention?

OOS, still no secondary here, yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you maryland!? Im instate, no secondary yet... booo!

I just got the secondary via an email starting like this.

We have received your AMCAS application and invite you to complete our Second Stage Application so that we can consider you further for admission to the University of Maryland School of Medicine.

Prompts:

Briefly describe your most important exposure to clinical medicine. (1500 character max.)

Briefly describe your most satisfying experience related to community service. (1500 character max.)

What does it mean to enter into a profession? (1500 character max.)

Just got it too and no they don't screen

Show me some love MD :)

so should we just copy and paste from word onto notepad and then copy and paste from notepad into the website?

so should we just copy and paste from word onto notepad and then copy and paste from notepad into the website?

that's what i did...

i also had to change the text to "Wrap" because when it went all on one line, the website said i had an absurd number of characters even though i had fewer than the limit

also, i entered my mcat date as 04/2010 and it said it wasn't a valid mcat date...anyone else have this problem??

I have a question regarding the Independent Research/Study question. For the past two summers I have been an intern at a Hopkins Physiology lab, but nothing as far as "independent" by any means. Mostly, I was working with a PhD or Post-Doc and under their instruction, they would design the concept/project and give me individual procedures to complete (Western Blot, PCR, ect..) Would this be something to mention here or is this a much more INDEPENDENT-research oriented question? Thanks

yea I have a similar question about independent research. I mean, I was for the most part working on my own but I have been given pretty general instructions on how to proceed. I mean, I was the one who tweaked conditions and all that. When I get stuck with something, I can always go ask my mentor.

yea I have a similar question about independent research. I mean, I was for the most part working on my own but I have been given pretty general instructions on how to proceed. I mean, I was the one who tweaked conditions and all that. When I get stuck with something, I can always go ask my mentor.

I'm in the same boat...my research is very qualitatively based (lots of article reading and survey making/handing out/sifting through) with my advisor just checking up on mefrom time to time to make sure I'm not lazy. Anyone find this out yet/have any insight?

I'm in the same boat...my research is very qualitatively based (lots of article reading and survey making/handing out/sifting through) with my advisor just checking up on mefrom time to time to make sure I'm not lazy. Anyone find this out yet/have any insight?

I am finishing my UMD app today and for the research question, I am just going to put an "in-depth review" (if that makes any sense, it doesn't to me haha) of my research. I would rather put too much than too little on this app. I'm an in-stater and would love to end up here, as I currently do research in the UMD medical center and love it.

good idea, I'm also going to just going to talk about my research, maybe also something that I learned out of it

work experience again? I thought its already in our pirmary. Do we just write a few lines about it? I mean the box is pretty small. Do we write the same thing as we did in the primary? How much are you guys writing for the work experience section?

Last edited:
anyone else in state filling out the instate forms?

work experience again? I thought its already in our pirmary. Do we just write a few lines about it? I mean the box is pretty small. Do we write the same thing as we did in the primary? How much are you guys writing for the work experience section?

I simply listed the important info; very basic. I didn't really describe my duties in any sort of detail.

Apparently, they told me that an English requirement can not be substituted by a Writing intensive course in the humanities. I wanted to know if anyone applied anyway and got in? Or if I do apply and get in I could always take english next summer, but i DONT want to waster my money completely

OK, maybe a silly question, but does "MD Recommending Instructors" mean professors from Maryland or professors that are an MD?

EDIT: Oh, it probably means instructor recommendations for M.D. applicants...

Last edited:
I received a letter in the mail today stating that they received my secondary and have begun to process it.

My heart skipped a beat when I originally saw a letter from them.

Hello everyone!
This may be a very silly question but does certification of your application mean that it has been submitted? After I certified, every link I clicked took me to my "status check" which indicated I had certified my application and that everything had been received. There's no big button that says "submit" somewhere is there?

has anyone certified but they don't have checks next to all their letters?

Last edited:
So, I'm OOS...wondering if I should complete my secondary. I lived in MD for several years, went there for high school, my dad used to teach at UMD undergrad, but there really isn't a place to mention that, and I don't want to shoe-horn it in somewhere it doesn't belong. PLUS, this is the first school I've found that doesn't take the fee-waiver.

Any thoughts on if I should do the secondary?

So, I'm OOS...wondering if I should complete my secondary. I lived in MD for several years, went there for high school, my dad used to teach at UMD undergrad, but there really isn't a place to mention that, and I don't want to shoe-horn it in somewhere it doesn't belong. PLUS, this is the first school I've found that doesn't take the fee-waiver.

Any thoughts on if I should do the secondary?

Do you want to go to this school? Your answer is the answer to your question.

Also, someone who has gotten the secondary should PM the creator of the thread.

This school doesn't send a "you're complete" email, correct?

When they ask if you've ever previously met with an admissions staff, does it count if I asked one of them a few questions in an informal setting at an open house? Do they want to know what I asked about or just the date of the open house?

When they ask if you've ever previously met with an admissions staff, does it count if I asked one of them a few questions in an informal setting at an open house? Do they want to know what I asked about or just the date of the open house?

I would include that. The date alone is probably fine.

For the date of previous application (which for me was last year), am I'm putting 2010 because that would have been the entering year and this is technically considered the 2011 cycle, or 2009 the year it actually was when I applied? Thanks.

I got a letter from the school today stating that they have successfully received my secondary application.

Apparently, they told me that an English requirement can not be substituted by a Writing intensive course in the humanities. I wanted to know if anyone applied anyway and got in? Or if I do apply and get in I could always take english next summer, but i DONT want to waster my money completely

I'd like to know more about this as well.

+1

does anyone know if they need to receive the in-state form to for the secondary to be complete?

Not sure about IS as I'm out of state, but I received a snail mail letter this week stating my app was complete. No email.

I have a question regarding LORs. It seems like they are asking for the letters to be mailed to them. Am I right? or I should just do it on AMCAS website?
Thanks

I just submitted my secondary! Woot! :luck::xf:

what are the exact prompts for the 2010 maryland secondary?

there are 2 different responses on this thread. can someone please clear it up? is the independent study/research question still on the 2010 secondary??

I have a question regarding LORs. It seems like they are asking for the letters to be mailed to them. Am I right? or I should just do it on AMCAS website?
Thanks
Anyone can help?

Status
Not open for further replies.