2010-2011 University of Texas Medical Branch Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts:
None

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone heard anything yet???

I got an email last week from them saying they have my application but that's it.

The first interview is August 13 so something should be happening soon!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi 7starmantis, I'm assuming you go to UTMB? Care to post your stats?

What is up with UTMB? They are usually amonst the first to interview in texas.
Anyone heard back yet?

Right now they're 2 weeks behind compared to the last few years. They always send out invites on Mondays so I'm hoping something will happen next week :xf:

hey i applied MD/phD, can anyone help me with when they usually send out interview invites as well as the stats for people who get in? I applied to both locations and im OOS

all i've received is a confirmation email they sent yesterday saying my app is under review

Just got an interview invite for 08/20! Excited about this one for sure! :D:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, I wish mine was in August. The date offered me was late October. Weird.

Do you guys mind giving the date in which your app was transmitted? Thanks!

Interview on August 27!!! My app was transmitted 6/19.

My interview is scheduled for 8/20. My app was transmitted on 6/9 but my LORs did not come in until 6/24.

got an interview invite here too! very excited. OOS.

does anyone have advice on how to get to UTMB from OOS? never been to that part of Texas before and will need to fly in. thank you so much!

Congrats everybody, i had a blast at my UTMB interview last year.

got an interview invite here too! very excited. OOS.

does anyone have advice on how to get to UTMB from OOS? never been to that part of Texas before and will need to fly in. thank you so much!

You're probably going to want to fly into Houston, thats the closest major airport. Galveston island is about an hour away. There's an airport on the island, but I'm not sure if they do commercial service.

Interview invite on 7/26 for 8/20 and I submitted my app on 6/15 but wasn't verified until 7/13! GL with interviews everyone!:luck:

Hey, I am a 3.25/33 applicant with volunteer experience and have spent the last year at UT Southwestern doing research. I submitted my application last week, so it will be 6 weeks until utmb see's them. Is there anyone in this situation that has gotten accepted or is applying this late killed my chances?

Thanks

Hey, I am a 3.25/33 applicant with volunteer experience and have spent the last year at UT Southwestern doing research. I submitted my application last week, so it will be 6 weeks until utmb see's them. Is there anyone in this situation that has gotten accepted or is applying this late killed my chances?

Thanks

I think your stats are good. I have much lower mcat and a bit higher gpa ( not even that much higher) and I got an interview from UTMB. As far as applying late, As I was looking through last yr's threads there were quiet of few people who submitted their apps in september and got an interview. I have a friend who sumbitted in august and she got an interview and also got into UTMB. Good Luck friend!

for the people who got interviews: Have ya'll received your interview packet in the mail yet??

I think your stats are good. I have much lower mcat and a bit higher gpa ( not even that much higher) and I got an interview from UTMB. As far as applying late, As I was looking through last yr's threads there were quiet of few people who submitted their apps in september and got an interview. I have a friend who sumbitted in august and she got an interview and also got into UTMB. Good Luck friend!

Good to hear this is my number one school!

Thanks

Hi there! I applied last year with the following stats and got the following interviews:

TMDSAS Submitted: 9/16/2009 (very late! stupid mistake on my part :rolleyes:)
Submitted Secondaries for Texas Schools: 9/16-20/2009
TMDSAS Transmitted: 10/14/2009
Received by most schools: 10/14/2009 - 10/31/2009 (as per emails/websites)

MCAT: 29R
cGPA: 3.87
sGPA: 3.74
Degree: Biology (BS) and Psychology (BS) in 4 yrs from Texas State. Graduated 2009.
Lots of research (5 summers with UT-Houston's cardiovascular and thoracic surgery team), moderate ECs, low-moderate shadowing.

Interviews:
UTMB: received invite 10/28 for 11/13 interview
Tx Tech-Lubbock: received invite 11/12 for 12/4 interview
A&M: received invite 11/18 for 12/3 interview, but rescheduled to 12/10 because of Lubbock interview conflict.

Accepted through the match on Feb 1 to my #1, UTMB! :D I'll be starting there in just under a month.

If you have any questions, let me know... feel free to post here or PM. Good luck to you! Hope to see you interviewing at UTMB!:luck:

Just received the "Application Received" email.... I submitted 6/4 and was transmitted 6/24

Yep, me too. I submitted 6/14, transmitted 7/15
Received "Application Received" email 8/5

I submitted 6/08 and my app was transmitted 7/13... but I have only got an email from UT San Antonio saying they received it....

Some of you guys were transmitted after me but you got the "received" email from UTMB...

I'm wondering if I should call them or just wait until Monday to see...

thoughts?

I submitted 6/08 and my app was transmitted 7/13... but I have only got an email from UT San Antonio saying they received it....

Some of you guys were transmitted after me but you got the "received" email from UTMB...

I'm wondering if I should call them or just wait until Monday to see...

thoughts?

My application was sent 6/1 and I got the email 7/9 and have heard nothing since. It took over a month for the email... So maybe after 8/13 you should call.

Right now UTMB's admissions office is dealing with some stuff that has to do with Class of 2014. I think that explains why things are going so slowly right now.

Right now UTMB's admissions office is dealing with some stuff that has to do with Class of 2014. I think that explains why things are going so slowly right now.

My advisor told me about that... Its not good... And it totally hinders next years class size, giving us less of a chance!

Ya, and they're getting free tuition, too.

Haha, Yeah! She told me that they were asking people to wait a year, and I was shocked because I would probably not wait a year since I have already waited so long... So I asked her, what is the incentive, and she said they pay for everything. Then I understood, and that’s actually a really great pull to wait a year! Still don’t know if I would be able to choose that, not sure if it is worth it for me since I am already going to be older than most of my class... If I wait an extra year I will be starting med school at 30... And that's just not going to be a good deal, not worth any amount of money for me.

Haha, Yeah! She told me that they were asking people to wait a year, and I was shocked because I would probably not wait a year since I have already waited so long... So I asked her, what is the incentive, and she said they pay for everything. Then I understood, and that’s actually a really great pull to wait a year! Still don’t know if I would be able to choose that, not sure if it is worth it for me since I am already going to be older than most of my class... If I wait an extra year I will be starting med school at 30... And that's just not going to be a good deal, not worth any amount of money for me.

It's not quite everything, just tuition but that's still a lot. Right now they have wayyyy too many people willing to accept so theyre trying to figure how to pick 20

I am surprised there are so many people jumping at this opportunity. The deal is tuition only right? So about $15,000 times four years is only $60,000 total. But you also would be pushing back earning a real salary by one year. Even if you took the lowest paying job available to anyone who completed a residency it is going to be way more than $60,000, even if you include the interest that would accrue.

Plus, IMO my dream is to be a physician. We have been working for years to get there. I am not sure I would want to push it back another year.

I am surprised there are so many people jumping at this opportunity. The deal is tuition only right? So about $15,000 times four years is only $60,000 total. But you also would be pushing back earning a real salary by one year. Even if you took the lowest paying job available to anyone who completed a residency it is going to be way more than $60,000, even if you include the interest that would accrue.

Plus, IMO my dream is to be a physician. We have been working for years to get there. I am not sure I would want to push it back another year.

Even if you were to get a job making $60,000 a year, the money would go to other things: car notes, rent, utilities, random life expenses. There is no way you could put up to $60,000 toward school fees with a GROSS salary of $60,000 or even $80,000. I think this is a great incentive. Applicants who are struggling financially could see this as a dream opportunity.

I would definitely do it. My boyfriend is currently in med school, too, and $60,000 less debt would be amazing. And in the year off I could get a job and make enough money to cover our rent/groceries and have that much less debt, too.

Got an interview on 8/27. My first invite of the season.

Submitted my app a bit late (I am doing this whole application process myself, being from England, none of my family knows what the heck they are doing when it comes to applying!)....now feeling a bit concerned because even though I thought I was relatively average on submission date, I feel like I was rather LATE! Oh crap! :(

Congrats! Did you get the email today?

Sorry. Yes I recieved the invite on 8/13. A two week notice with no other options seems a little sudden. Should I expect this from other schools? Or is it because they know I live so close?

Sorry. Yes I recieved the invite on 8/13. A two week notice with no other options seems a little sudden. Should I expect this from other schools? Or is it because they know I live so close?

I think it means someone either rescheduled or something and you were the next on the list and got the spot. Something similar happened to me with another school. Congrats!

Wow, would you mind telling me a little more about it in detail? So this whole situation applies to entering class of 2010? Do you think people applying this cycle would have the same opportunity?

Heck, I wanted to take a year off anyways!

Wow, would you mind telling me a little more about it in detail? So this whole situation applies to entering class of 2010? Do you think people applying this cycle would have the same opportunity?

Heck, I wanted to take a year off anyways!

Sure... Well, last year they sent out too many acceptances because they thought that many people would not want to come out there since they were kind of rebuilding the school and city after the hurricane (I believe it was a hurricane...). They were wrong, more people than they thought took them up on their acceptance. I mean, this is Texas, people want to stay here due to the low tuition, and they will pretty much go to any of the Texas schools over out of state schools… So for this class (2010) they don't have enough space for all of these people, they just don't have the resources to have such a big class, so they offered them a deferred year. To entice them they decided to pay their tuition.

It will more than likely not be an issue in the future since the only real reason this happened was due to the natural disaster in the area. It is actually the worst thing that could happen for our upcoming cycle because many of these people will be deferring and taking up our spots. I am not sure by how many they overshot their numbers, but I am going to guess it was more than 30 people. If it was only a few people it would be a non issue... Anyone know more about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.