|08-21-2010, 05:01 PM||#1|
Who, me? A doctor?
Emergency Medicine FAQ
Disclaimer: This FAQ is a work in progress. If you think that there is a subject I’ve missed, or a thread that should be mentioned, send me your suggestion by clicking here.
A lot of this FAQ's content is written not only by forum regulars, but also SAEM and ACEP.
- What is EM all about?
- History of EM
- What types of procedures to EM physicians do? 1, 2 and 3
- Working conditions
- EM pay: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7
- Independent Contracting in EM
- The Macy report: SAEM summary here
- Medicine Sucks
- EM burnout
Controversial topics in EM
- Trouble on the EM Horizon, parts 1, 2, 3
- International Emergency Medicine
- Is an EM physician a replacable entity?
- EM or FP + EM fellowship 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
- Negatives of EM as a Speciality
- Too smart for EM?
- Wilderness EM
- Balanced billing
For Medical Students:
- Should I go into EM?
- Resources for students interested in EM by SAEM and ACEP <-Click on these links if nowhere else!
- Fantasies of EM vs. the Reality: Common Misconceptions of EM Hopefuls
- EM as a career choice
- EM Personalities
- 12 Reasons NOT to go into EM
- Don't call it ER
- Planning your 4th year, Gus Garmel and SDN: 1, 2, 3
- Value of taking a year off to do research (in EM)
Away or Audition Rotations
- Clerkship catalog by SAEM
- When to do an away rotation 1, 2
- Book Recommendations for Student EM Rotators: 2010 CORD EM Clerkship Primer (Free!), PIMP Protector, EM books worth my time and others 1, 2, 3
What are my chances? -OR- How competitive am I?
- Competitiveness of EM 1, 2, 3,
- NRMP Charting Match Outcomes: 2006, 2007, 2009
- SDN Matchitis Surveys: 2008, 2009 and 2010
Residency application help
- CV format questions by SDN and the AAMC
- EM Residency catalogs by SAEM and FREIDA
- ERAS by SAEM and...ERAS
- All about SLORs: 1, 2, 3
- What’s with the Dean’s Letter?
- How complete does my App need to be for me to apply, and when should I send it in? by SAEM
- Tips for IMGs/FMGs are here
- How the Match Works for YOU! By the NRMP
- How do I narrow down a list of programs, by Desperado and others
- The Magic Number
- Likelihood of Matching to your #1
The Scramble (but it's going away in 2012)
- The best advice for the Scramble on SDN
- Did not match. Now what?
Generating your ROL -OR- Choosing a residency program
- Top EM programs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
- How we decided our ROL, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
- There are no bad programs...
- Should I rank them higher so they rank me higher? and other ROL myths
- 3 vs 4 year EM residency formats via SAEM and SDN
- Value of a floor month
- Residency Reviews
NOTE: You can send your residency review to docB or RxnMan if you want them to post it anonymously
- Communication after the interview
- What to look for
- Hospitals where the ED dominates
- Not a lot of hand holding...
- How to approach patients when you don't know the diagnosis.
- Inservice Exam Prep 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- My "So There" file
- Top 20 "Do Nots"
- How CMS funds your residency slot, parts 1, 2, 3
- Book Reccomendations for EM Residents: $300 and 2 books, EM Library, Colorado Compendium
- Board Preparation: Written Sources, Audiobooks, Sources for Oral Portion of Board Exam
- Suggestions for electives 1, 2
- The best scrubs
- U/S Elective rotations 1,
- Tox Elective rotations 1,
- Elective rotations in International EM 1,
- Why do a fellowship? 1, 2, 3, 4
- SAEM Fellowship Listing
- Toxicology 1, 2
- Updates on EM/CC board certification: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Research in EM
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
- Emergency Medicine Foundation
- General medical student research FAQ
- EM Research Opportunities for Undergraduates: Mount Sinai, University of Pennsylvania, UC Davis, UCSF-Fresno, Hennepin, UCSD, and Highland
EM Forum Humor
- Someone explain the joke to me, please?
- EM Forum Band Names
- Things I Learn From My Patients
- The Origin of Fatty McFatty Pants
- Ways To Tell You've Spent Too Much Time in the ED
- I Can't Believe I Wrote That
- All-Star Chief Complaints
- Top Press-Ganey Comments
- What can I do to improve my app?
- Personal statement help
- EM Haikus
- Demotivational posters
- EM hall of fame
- Pee pee on my scrubs
[X] MS1 - MS3, [X] NIH, [X] MS4
Click to read FAQs on Emergency Medicine, student research, and reapplying to medical school
Interested in EM? Look at the Society for Academic Emergency Medicine's Student Resources website and read the results of the 2010, 2009, and 2008 SDN EM Match Surveys
Last edited by RxnMan; 02-25-2011 at 03:27 AM.
All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:32 PM.