Gunner Training slooooow today ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsung

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is GT running really really slow today ?

Frustrating!

Members don't see this ad.

yup. was just about to post something. this is exactly why i don't recommend this program to people, and it's a shame. the concept is extremely good, the execution is mediocre at best. i'd email them and complain and try to get money back, but i'm a) already hooked into daily reviews and keeping up with it (probably have undx ocdpd/o) and b) they rarely answer in a timely fashion. i guess this is why it's so cheap...

yup. was just about to post something. this is exactly why i don't recommend this program to people, and it's a shame. the concept is extremely good, the execution is mediocre at best. i'd email them and complain and try to get money back, but i'm a) already hooked into daily reviews and keeping up with it (probably have undx ocdpd/o) and b) they rarely answer in a timely fashion. i guess this is why it's so cheap...

This is killing me.

Actually, this is the 1st time I've had this problem, and I've been using it for a while. As for response time, it seems like they respond in spurts. Sometimes they don't respond at all. But other times, I've gotten some really well-thought out answers to some of my petty Qs. ha. I think it's gotten more popular, so maybe that has something to do with it.

That said, they better do something about this, or I'm going to tear my hair out! lol

I may have come off as a douche in the last post; don't get me wrong I really like this program, especially for me (tend to cram-->forget-->cram--->forget) 100% banked and finally down to 100-200 (from 400-500...ouch) cards per day, and will hopefully be at 100-150 during my dedicated study time. The ONLY problems I have involve the time commitment, so it's just super frustrating when I finally have the time to go through cards and their servers are, for whatever reason, sh*tting the bed.

I really believe in 1-2 iterations, this program + UW could replace first aid, easily. But they better upgrade their d*mn servers...it's infuriating watching it load piece by piece.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same here! Server really slow...annoying as hell! Thought it was me and restarted computer, but it's still happening. I agree this program could very easily replace First Aid...the content and organization is similar to FA or much better, like Micro for instance. Their Path organization could use some work; if they upgrade their server + fix the few content/ organization issues = big win. I think a ton of people may be using it and hence the server problems.

Same here! Server really slow...annoying as hell! Thought it was me and restarted computer, but it's still happening. I agree this program could very easily replace First Aid...the content and organization is similar to FA or much better, like Micro for instance. Their Path organization could use some work; if they upgrade their server + fix the few content/ organization issues = big win. I think a ton of people may be using it and hence the server problems.

As of tonight, still very slow/stalling. Very frustrating. Had liked this site up until today--now's it's draining my review time. Will probably abandon. Unreal.
:rolleyes:

Yeah I generally use it at really weird times and it still blows randomly. I don't know what the hold up is but there's no excuse. This is one problem you could easily fix it just by throwing money at your hosting service.

It really holds you back too if you have to wait 15 seconds per question. Instead of a 30 minute review it turns into a 2 hour ordeal.

agree, the question load times are unacceptably slow, and so it takes much longer to go through the daily review q's and wastes time just waiting/looking at the screen

Yeah, it's still slow. Just what I need when i have 600 friggin' cards in my schedule. :mad:

Unreal. If this continues, I'm going to have to abort GT. Wasting too much time waiting for it to load!

I'll probably try to finish out GT's "Q-bank" tho'... sigh.

Unreal. If this continues, I'm going to have to abort GT. Wasting too much time waiting for it to load!

I'll probably try to finish out GT's "Q-bank" tho'... sigh.

I am actually pretty freaked out, since this whole GT thing is a major part of my study plan. You know, when started I was thinking like what if the site went down or something, I'd be pretty screwed. Now that it's so slow, it threw me off schedule yesterday and today. I need to catch up but since it would be wasting time I am thinking of doing some Qbank questions. Christ, this can't continue much longer or else I am royally f^@#$. I only have 2 more weeks to try to get through all the flashcards, and only 65% done. Maybe I need to start thinking of a new schedule :scared:

Same, I might have to drop GT from my plans if it stays this slow. Same goes for my recommendations of the site GT!! FIX IT!

Same, I might have to drop GT from my plans if it stays this slow. Same goes for my recommendations of the site GT!! FIX IT!

Have you guys written to GT?

I wrote them about this issue using the "feedback" yesterday. I suggest we write them... although I have a feeling they probably read these boards more. (Sometimes I get a backlog of responses from them.)

PLEASE FIX GT. I HOPE SOMEONE IS READING THIS. :(

Does GT even have a dedicated customer service person/department? Or is it just somebody responding to every tenth email between bites of a pastrami sandwich once or twice a month?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got this email from one of technicians earlier (I removed their name/contact info).

My name is ________ and I'm one of the engineers at Gunner. I wanted to send you a quick note to apologize if you've experienced slow load times on Gunner over the past few days. I'm just finishing medical school myself so I know how important these weeks are for Step 1. We're aware of the problem and are at work now to resolve the issue and get the Gunner servers back on track.

I haven't had the chance to connect with many of our Gunner users in the past and I'd like to change that right now by inviting you to email me any time at ______________. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions, rants, calls for help, questions about the wards, anything. Seriously.

I'm also thinking about starting an email list or RSS for regular updates about what's going on at Gunner so no one ever feels left out of the loop. If you think that would be useful, definitely send me a note.

So my apologies again about the server, we aim to be back up and running at full speed again soon.

Does GT even have a dedicated customer service person/department? Or is it just somebody responding to every tenth email between bites of a pastrami sandwich once or twice a month?

There's a staff page up on the website but my experience has been residents / current medical students run everything. So yeah, it's definitely both a pro and a con.

Got this email from one of technicians earlier (I removed their name/contact info).

My name is ________ and I'm one of the engineers at Gunner. I wanted to send you a quick note to apologize if you've experienced slow load times on Gunner over the past few days. I'm just finishing medical school myself so I know how important these weeks are for Step 1. We're aware of the problem and are at work now to resolve the issue and get the Gunner servers back on track.

I haven't had the chance to connect with many of our Gunner users in the past and I'd like to change that right now by inviting you to email me any time at ______________. I'd be happy to hear any suggestions, rants, calls for help, questions about the wards, anything. Seriously.

I'm also thinking about starting an email list or RSS for regular updates about what's going on at Gunner so no one ever feels left out of the loop. If you think that would be useful, definitely send me a note.

So my apologies again about the server, we aim to be back up and running at full speed again soon.

Yay, thanks for the update!

Hey guys - I'm the Gunner engineer that sent out the email above (thanks for removing my personal info, that's very HIPPA, but see below). I've never had an account on SDN but it's too sad a story to hear of people ringing our doorbell when the lights are on but no one's coming to the door. Fail. I want to change that and offer you guys a real punching bag if you ever need to kick or shout or ask or anything. So no HIPPA here: my name is Nicholas and you can email me any time at nicholas at gunnertraining.

Now a quick explanation about the server issue for my tech buddies: Gunner runs on Ruby on Rails with a MySQL database and we use virtual servers on shared hosts. A few weeks ago we pulled the database out of the machine that's running the Rails instances and gave it its own virtual machine. That helped speed things up. Nice job us. Starting Sunday night the database throughput came screeching to a halt. Fail job us. We hadn't pushed any new code and weren't experiencing a burst of traffic, so the issue really was like a rogue wave, just not as cool. Just last week we started to use an awesome performance monitoring tool called New Relic that was recording how big the fail wave was in the database but - bigger fail wave - the alert system wasn't configured properly so no alarm bells went off until we saw some of the traffic on SDN, yesterday morning. Yes, punch me, I gave you the bag above: nicholas at GT. So we only started to examine the issue yesterday morning and were initially very confused by what we were seeing. Rogue waves like that don't usually make sense in the absence of a traffic spike or a recent code merge or some other manipulation. After trolling our logs and running this test and that test, we learned from our shared hosting provider that another VM on the same physical box as our database VM had started to encounter some significant memory leaks on Sunday evening and had drained the resources for that physical server, our virtual server included. The problem wasn't resolved until this morning, at which time the rogue wave abated and the server started running smoothly again.

The learning points are two: New Relic is golden for monitoring website performance but it's pretty quiet if you don't have the alert system configured correctly, and shared hosting is a very bad idea. If the VM next to you has tuberculosis, your VM gets tuberculosis. So we'll be switching to our own physical server before too long, a nice, sterile, TB-free server all to ourselves, and within its walls we can set up clean VMs to our hearts' content, no isolation precautions.

So thank you everyone for hanging in there. If you're ever left on the porch and feel like we're ignoring you, email me, Nicholas, at gunnertraining dot com. I'd be happy to hear from you.

Hey Nicholas,
Appreciate all the effort you're putting into fixing the service up. I'm still having trouble with Gunnertraining on my end though. The homepage isn't loading (page not found error) and I can't reach any of the pages to use the GT application. It's been that way all day from around 10am till now. I don't know if something is wrong with GT or my computer.

@norealname - sounds like it's on your end, are you using Windows? You can only view Gunner on a Mac or Linux, sometimes in Solaris (hilarious joke for all tech nerds on here). No, but seriously, it is on your end I'm afraid, our service has been uninterrupted all day. Try another computer and you should be all set.

Hey Nicholas,
Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in, things have been working just perfectly all day. I still love GT a lot although I had a little melt down yesterday. :love:

@DrDrToBe - I had a meltdown too, no worries. Honestly, slow servers are death, totally unacceptable. You guys keep up your end of the bargain right, study like steamrollers to bulldoze the exam, and we drop the server ball? Meltdown warranted! But thanks for the emoticon growing heart-tumors out of its head, we heart you too :)

And remember, punching bag for meltdowns: nicholas at gt...

Hey guys - I'm the Gunner engineer that sent out the email above (thanks for removing my personal info, that's very HIPPA, but see below). I've never had an account on SDN but it's too sad a story to hear of people ringing our doorbell when the lights are on but no one's coming to the door. Fail. I want to change that and offer you guys a real punching bag if you ever need to kick or shout or ask or anything. So no HIPPA here: my name is Nicholas and you can email me any time at nicholas at gunnertraining.

Now a quick explanation about the server issue for my tech buddies: Gunner runs on Ruby on Rails with a MySQL database and we use virtual servers on shared hosts. A few weeks ago we pulled the database out of the machine that's running the Rails instances and gave it its own virtual machine. That helped speed things up. Nice job us. Starting Sunday night the database throughput came screeching to a halt. Fail job us. We hadn't pushed any new code and weren't experiencing a burst of traffic, so the issue really was like a rogue wave, just not as cool. Just last week we started to use an awesome performance monitoring tool called New Relic that was recording how big the fail wave was in the database but - bigger fail wave - the alert system wasn't configured properly so no alarm bells went off until we saw some of the traffic on SDN, yesterday morning. Yes, punch me, I gave you the bag above: nicholas at GT. So we only started to examine the issue yesterday morning and were initially very confused by what we were seeing. Rogue waves like that don't usually make sense in the absence of a traffic spike or a recent code merge or some other manipulation. After trolling our logs and running this test and that test, we learned from our shared hosting provider that another VM on the same physical box as our database VM had started to encounter some significant memory leaks on Sunday evening and had drained the resources for that physical server, our virtual server included. The problem wasn't resolved until this morning, at which time the rogue wave abated and the server started running smoothly again.

The learning points are two: New Relic is golden for monitoring website performance but it's pretty quiet if you don't have the alert system configured correctly, and shared hosting is a very bad idea. If the VM next to you has tuberculosis, your VM gets tuberculosis. So we'll be switching to our own physical server before too long, a nice, sterile, TB-free server all to ourselves, and within its walls we can set up clean VMs to our hearts' content, no isolation precautions.

So thank you everyone for hanging in there. If you're ever left on the porch and feel like we're ignoring you, email me, Nicholas, at gunnertraining dot com. I'd be happy to hear from you.

Thanks! Love Gunner Training! So glad it's back up to speed. Nice work and thanks for keeping us in the loop as to what went wrong. :thumbup: