Stop bragging about how much shadowing you've done

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Will you stroke this patients penis?"

OH YES! hahahahah this video is priceless. I love any video that is done like this. The one on affirmative action is also funny.

I lost it when Mr. Pre-Med Gunner said "50 million hours"

"Will you stroke this patients penis?"

OH YES! hahahahah this video is priceless. I love any video that is done like this. The one on affirmative action is also funny.

Members don't see this ad :)
First post here...

Honestly, it's getting old, no one cares that you are a pro at following a physician around. You do realize there are plenty of other people, or organisms that could do this? A child can, a dog can, a chimpanzee can...see a common theme?

I've bumped into countless kids who proclaim they've shadowed doctors in nearly every specialty for 200+ hours for each to get genuine clinical exposure due to them wanting to be future doctors....this is ridiculous....GO VOLUNTEER

In my honest opinion, no more than 150 hours of shadowing is even informally required by the most stringent of adcoms because all it proves is that you enjoy watching people do things while you stand around like an idiot probably playing games on your phone anyways.

cool-story-bro-house-Cool-story-bro.jpg

One of these days, when I shadow a physician, I'm gonna pretend to actually be his shadow.

Just because it seems like something that would make the OP mad.

First post here...

Honestly, it's getting old, no one cares that you are a pro at following a physician around. You do realize there are plenty of other people, or organisms that could do this? A child can, a dog can, a chimpanzee can...see a common theme?

I've bumped into countless kids who proclaim they've shadowed doctors in nearly every specialty for 200+ hours for each to get genuine clinical exposure due to them wanting to be future doctors....this is ridiculous....GO VOLUNTEER

In my honest opinion, no more than 150 hours of shadowing is even informally required by the most stringent of adcoms because all it proves is that you enjoy watching people do things while you stand around like an idiot probably playing games on your phone anyways.

Seriously dude, take a chill pill. Get used to it. People are going to brag about themselves at every step of the process. Some people never study. Some people leave every quiz/test wanting to discuss the answers and explain why ALL of yours were wrong.

Some people leave every quiz/test wanting to discuss the answers and explain why ALL of yours were wrong.

Shut it Hermione Granger... :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a fan of the opinion that volunteering is beyond lame. Community service is great but facetious. Shadowing...is not great.

Guise, I have shadowed 2000 hours guise am I overdoing it? WHAT ARE MY CHANCES

WHAT

ARE

MY

CHANCES

Believe what you want, but many of my friends are doing all this and more in their summer program treating impoverished peoples in Namibia and Zimbabwe.

I half-heartedly supported OP till I read this.

-____-

Now this is a bit for me to assume, but I'm going to assume that your friends' parents paid for them to volunteer abroad?

So basically, your friends with
1) no college degree
&
2) no medical training
paid an insane amount of money to "treat impoverished people in Namibia and Zimbabwe?" HA

fail. gtfo troll

That gunner pre-med is only going for 50,000,000 hours of shadowing....everyone knows you can only get into the caribbean schools with that little. Hell you even need more to get into one of the big four down there.

shadowing is a good thing but to an extent..if you say you have over 500+ hours of shadowing thats a lot of wasted time in my opinion. I volunteer at a top hospital in NYC and get to do research, travel the country for conferences, and shadow any specialty I want. Just all networking and benefits of helping them all out.

If I was a doctor now, I would have nightmares if a little asian kid followed me around for 700 hours.

Kind of disappointed because troll or not, you know the OP felt strongly about overshadowing, and lashing out on an online forum means that he's now less likely to break down randomly on some unsuspecting freshman in real life

And somehow American lives are more important. There are people dying all over the world who desperately need humanitarian efforts to perhaps improve the quality of their lives by a slight amount. Are you honestly scorning my friends for their decision to do this?

Spending $5k to fly over to Africa for a few months during the summer solely for your resume is such a copout move when there are needy, deserving patients in our back yards.

I can't stand the sanctimonious tone you have in describing these volunteer trips that most pre-meds can't even afford.

When I was pre-med I walked into the worst free healthcare clinic in town in street clothes with a resume and was volunteering the next day. A year of that polished my high school Spanish into fluent medical Spanish. This
cost me nothing and undoubtedly improved the lives of my very neighbors. And I use medical Spanish EVERY DAY along with other skills I picked up as a no-name premed. I'm a resident now.

You are ridiculous thinking that you have to blow all that money to go to some far off land to get meaningful clinical experience and direct patient care.

Spending $5k to fly over to Africa for a few months during the summer solely for your resume is such a copout move when there are needy, deserving patients in our back yards.

I can't stand the sanctimonious tone you have in describing these volunteer trips that most pre-meds can't even afford.

When I was pre-med I walked into the worst free healthcare clinic in town in street clothes with a resume and was volunteering the next day. A year of that polished my high school Spanish into fluent medical Spanish. This
cost me nothing and undoubtedly improved the lives of my very neighbors. And I use medical Spanish EVERY DAY along with other skills I picked up as a no-name premed. I'm a resident now.

You are ridiculous thinking that you have to blow all that money to go to some far off land to get meaningful clinical experience and direct patient care.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I not at their level yet, but they are taking the bull by its horns when it comes to legitimate volunteering. I'm talking about patient consulting regarding invasive/life-threatening procedures, collaborating with doctors as to the best treatment for patients with certain illnesses, and performing certain medical diagnoses on patients from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Sounds ethical.

You didn't read the whole thing: they're from disadvantaged backgrounds, so it's ethical. :rolleyes:

If I wanted to help my community, then I would donate the five grand to charity and work as an intake volunteer at a free clinic. If I wanted to get into medical school, I would go to Namibia.

First post here...

Strong first post. Why don't you worry about yourself instead of caring what other people do. **** man...get a life. As much as people who "brag about shadowing" annoy you, people like you who constantly care about what others are doing are 100x worse

Strong first post. Why don't you worry about yourself instead of caring what other people do. **** man...get a life. As much as people who "brag about shadowing" annoy you, people like you who constantly care about what others are doing are 100x worse

Strong response to obvious troll.

shadowing is a good thing but to an extent..if you say you have over 500+ hours of shadowing thats a lot of wasted time in my opinion. I volunteer at a top hospital in NYC and get to do research, travel the country for conferences, and shadow any specialty I want. Just all networking and benefits of helping them all out.

If I was a doctor now, I would have nightmares if a little asian kid followed me around for 700 hours.

Why you puttin down ma Asian brathas, man?

Youmad we're smarter, brah?? :smuggrin: