Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Geekchick921

Achievement Unlocked: MD
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our last interview clothing thread was 3 years old, so we're starting a new one for this application cycle! Interview invites are starting to roll out so please direct all women's interview attire questions here!

The last thread can be found here. I can't find the original women's interview clothing thread but if someone has the link or finds it please PM me and I'll edit this post.

Good luck! :) :luck: :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Skirt suits are a fine choice, too. I was personally planning on a pantsuit originally but I found the skirt to look better on me. I also planned on a grey suit but I wound up liking one that was black with white pinstripes the best (this isn't exactly it but it looks a lot like it). I wore a pink-purple silk shell for a pop of color and I thought it looked really nice.

BTW, for the curvier ladies, I highly recommend Tahari suits (like what I linked above). Macy's has a good selection of them. I thought mine was very flattering.

Members don't see this ad :)
Skirt suits are a fine choice, too. I was personally planning on a pantsuit originally but I found the skirt to look better on me. I also planned on a grey suit but I wound up liking one that was black with white pinstripes the best (this isn't exactly it but it looks a lot like it). I wore a pink-purple silk shell for a pop of color and I thought it looked really nice.

BTW, for the curvier ladies, I highly recommend Tahari suits (like what I linked above). Macy's has a good selection of them. I thought mine was very flattering.

I like that.

do we still wear a suit if it's 80+ degrees and humid... :(

Reactions: 1 user
I was going to do a pantsuit since I wear flats and I thought that would prob look better. Need to get shopping!

Marshalls and TJ Maxx have nice quality suits for cheap, if the interview is the most use your suit will see for a few years! :) I myself am not all that fancy, and have only worn my suit to med-related things. Picked up a Calvin Klein black pantsuit at Marshalls for about $60 :)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I'm not interviewing this season but is a skirt absolutely necessary? At schools where interviewers are likely to be less formal, what about something like:

http://www.elietahari.com/womens/prefall-2011/lookbook/#5

or

http://www.elietahari.com/womens/spring-2011/t-tahari/#6

(without bare legs, open-toe shoes, fur, or gloves, obviously)

Would something like this ever be appropriate or is the thinking generally that it's better to play it safe and go with a traditional pant suit or skirt suit (regardless of weather, personal comfort, etc.)?
....can't even tell what season it is from that pic...

Yup... I went to an interview where it was like 90+ degrees. And everybody there (including me) had on a suit. I did find a suit that was a little bit lighter material, so it helped a little.

You can always take off your suit jacket while on the tour, just make sure you're wearing something appropriate underneath.

I'm not interviewing this season but is a skirt absolutely necessary? At schools where interviewers are likely to be less formal, what about something like:

or

Would something like this ever be appropriate or is the thinking generally that it's better to play it safe and go with a traditional pant suit or skirt suit (regardless of weather, personal comfort, etc.)?

What schools are we talking about (that are "less formal")? I think it might be safer to pick something more traditional/conservative. Just because you don't know how formal the interviews will be until you get there.

The first picture is from the Fall 2011 collection, the second is from the Spring 2011 collection...but does it really matter? I was just using them as examples and asking if outfits like these could ever be appropriate.

Pretty? Yes. Med school interview material? Probably not.

As a general rule of thumb, you want to dress according to how seriously you take the position you're interviewing for. So even if the school is less formal, you should still be.

EDIT: To answer your questions about the skirt, no it's not necessary. There may be one or two old-school interviewers out there that still consider skirts to be more professional, but it's not exactly like they can bring up "she wore a skirt" in their review of you!

Yup... I went to an interview where it was like 90+ degrees. And everybody there (including me) had on a suit. I did find a suit that was a little bit lighter material, so it helped a little.

You can always take off your suit jacket while on the tour, just make sure you're wearing something appropriate underneath.

Going with Bza here. Try a seasonless or light-weight wool blend for a suit that breathes better. Synthetics tend to trap the heat!

Unfortunately, yes. You'll be inside most of the time anyway, though. And to reiterate what a previous poster said, as long as you're wearing something appropriate underneath you can shed the suit jacket.

or

I would definitely play it safe and go with a suit. There were some cute sets posted in the previous thread (if you feel like digging through 30+ pages) that seemed appropriate but a little less formal than the standard black/grey/navy blue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this an appropriate place to ask about hair? Leave down, or take it up?

Yup, sure is. Wear it whatever way is comfortable for you so it's out of your face and you won't feel compelled to futz with it the whole time. I wore it down for my first interview, which I almost never do. I pulled it back into a ponytail for my second and third interviews and it looked fine and I was much more comfortable.

Is this an appropriate place to ask about hair? Leave down, or take it up?

As long as your hair is neat and clean, I would say the most important thing is to wear it so that 1) you are comfortable and 2) it stays out of your face without a lot of fuss. I wouldn't attempt a complicated hairstyle for the first time for your interview; it will be on your mind the whole time.

So that's not exactly the most explicit advice, so here are my thoughts:
-Short hair: leave down, add hair accessories if you want to jazz it up
-Medium-to-long hair: 100% up to you, sorry!
-REALLY long hair (waist or longer): I'd probably put it up for strict business formal interviewers (but I bet it's beautiful!)

If you're doing it up, buns, chignons, and french twists are classic. I'd avoid a prom up-do :)

Reactions: 1 users
Skirt suits all the way! Do you all think pantyhose is necessary? I hate wearing it.

or

That's too informal, IMO.

Skirt suits all the way! Do you all think pantyhose is necessary?

Yep, gotta wear it. At least pantyhose are flattering under skirts!

While panty hose are uncomfortable, I think they're a must for med school interviews. If your skirt is just above the knee (which it probably should be) you can always wear hose that just go up to your thigh.

Besides, bare legs are so 2010-
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beau...e-bare-legs-are-so-2010-2510160#photoViewer=1

If you go the thigh-high route, make sure the edge of your hose isn't visible to an observer seated across from you when you sit down.

+1 to the Kate Middleton :)

What shirt color are you all going to wear?

Wear whatever color makes you feel awesome. Pastels and neutrals are more traditional, but this one is really up to you. Solids are more conservative, but a moderate print can be a great way to add interest to a traditional suit (Note: if you have to ask, "is the print too wild?", it is!)

Skirt suits all the way! Do you all think pantyhose is necessary? I hate wearing it.

Same, but suck it up and wear 'em. If anything, they combat chafing in the thigh region. Carry an extra pack in your purse and probably some clear nail polish to stop a small run before it's trailing all the way up your leg.

What shirt color are you all going to wear?

Ditto KM's response below!

Yep, gotta wear it. At least pantyhose are flattering under skirts!

If you go the thigh-high route, make sure the edge of your hose isn't visible to an observer seated across from you when you sit down.

+1 to the Kate Middleton :)

Wear whatever color makes you feel awesome. Pastels and neutrals are more traditional, but this one is really up to you. Solids are more conservative, but a moderate print can be a great way to add interest to a traditional suit (Note: if you have to ask, "is the print too wild?", it is!)

A print would look really nice, as would any solid color that matches your suit. I went with a solid because my suit had pinstripes and I thought that might clash with a print.

Rumor has it (LizzyM will back this up) that many adcoms really do like seeing some color in an appropriate manner. A sea of medical students in black suits and white shirts looks too much like a funeral procession.

And yes, this is also the thread to discuss hair, make-up, shoes and accessories like jewelry, not just suits. :)

Rumor has it (LizzyM will back this up) that many adcoms really do like seeing some color in an appropriate manner. A sea of medical students in black suits and white shirts looks too much like a funeral procession.

I was talking to a good friend of mine who has been on several interview committees for medical school and he claimed that whenever the students would come in, they'd joke about the funeral procession.

He said, even a blouse with color poking out from the sleeves is nice to break up the charcoal.

Question: long sleeves on a suit jacket, or is short okay? I think the longer looks more professional. Also, would some (more traditional) schools prefer skirts instead of pants? I was thinking of getting a suit/pants/skirt combo that matches. Also, do the top and bottom have to match - could I have a red jacket and black skirt?

thanks for all the comments ladies. you answered so many of my questions. I wasn't sure if the pantyhose w/ skirt suit were a must but sadly I see that they are.

also good to know about the shirt with some color, i hate to look like a complete automoton

I was talking to a good friend of mine who has been on several interview committees for medical school and he claimed that whenever the students would come in, they'd joke about the funeral procession.

He said, even a blouse with color poking out from the sleeves is nice to break up the charcoal.

Question: long sleeves on a suit jacket, or is short okay? I think the longer looks more professional. Also, would some (more traditional) schools prefer skirts instead of pants? I was thinking of getting a suit/pants/skirt combo that matches. Also, do the top and bottom have to match - could I have a red jacket and black skirt?

I'm not sure on the sleeves. I personally wouldn't worry TOO much about skirt vs. pant based on tradition. Personally, I saw PLENTY of ladies in pants at my interviews and I think you should base your decision on what you think is more comfortable and what looks better on you.

A jacket/pants/skirt combo set would be great, especially if you think the location and current weather of where you will be interviewing will vary greatly. For example, you will want the skirt to interview in Florida in September but pants if you're interviewing in Chicago in January.

IIRC from the last thread, there was a general :thumbup: to the red jacket and black skirt look. But then I'd be worried, particularly if I were brunette (and I am) and wore glasses (I usually wear contacts) that I'd look like Sarah Palin. :laugh:

If it isn't obvious by now, I'm a bit of business attire nut :) In my defense, I have to wear this stuff every day!

I love navy suits for this exact reason. Still very traditional and dark enough to be powerful, but doesn't scream funeral.

+1 to this. If you look at higher end men's suits, the jackets should be cut so that 1/4-1/2 inch of cuff shows at the sleeve.

I'd go long. Short sleeves are trendier and won't be versatile come winter.

EDIT: To answer your questions about the skirt, no it's not necessary. There may be one or two old-school interviewers out there that still consider skirts to be more professional, but it’s not exactly like they can bring up “she wore a skirt” in their review of you!

See above for my post on skirts vs. pants. I think the idea of jacket/pant/skirt combo is great...I try to do this whenever possible. That being said, a skirt will be my first choice because that's what I like.

The jacket and the bottom of your outfit don't have to match, but I'd be careful to do it well. I would probably only do it if they coordinated colors, instead of contrasting. If you think you'll be worrying about it on the day of your interview, I'd go with a more traditional pairing.

Geekchick921, I feel like every time I go to answer a question, you beat me to it while I'm typing :) Sorry for the extra posts! Guess that's why you're a mod :)

Oh no way! I am mostly regurgitating things I read in threads from the years before. I would take your advice over mine, since you said you actually have to wear business attire like this on the regular. That said, any time we agree I feel justified and if two people are saying the same thing I think it carries more weight for everyone else. :)

thanks for all the comments ladies. you answered so many of my questions. I wasn't sure if the pantyhose w/ skirt suit were a must but sadly I see that they are.

also good to know about the shirt with some color, i hate to look like a complete automoton

Cheer up, there are some benefits to pantyhose :)

-Insta-slimming under a skirt
-If you have a high-waisted skirt, you can tuck your shirt ends into them to avoid the ugly shirt line across your bum
-You don't have to shave as often
-You don't have to worry about being tan if you're pale like me :)
-They're coming back in style

Thanks for your fast responses! Both were very helpful.

I'm thinking of leaning towards a red jacket and black skirt/pants - same material, of course. I found a picture and it looked very sharp. Red top and bottom seems a bit like overkill, and I'd like to stand out a bit. Navy is another option, but that seems as dark and overused as charcoal and black (just going from what I hear, please correct me if I'm wrong).

What's the consensus on heels? I'm a bit short but I hate them. Do people bring flats for tours and do they have an opportunity to change into heels for the interviews themselves? Or should I suck it up and learn to walk on two-inches for an hour or so?

Oh no way! I am mostly regurgitating things I read in threads from the years before. I would take your advice over mine, since you said you actually have to wear business attire like this on the regular. That said, any time we agree I feel justified and if two people are saying the same thing I think it carries more weight for everyone else. :)

Ok, I'm glad to hear that I'm not being bothersome! I'm a consultant so I have to wear more formal business casual everyday, and business formal when appropriate. My office is fairly conservative, so my advice will trend that way, so I think your point of view from what you actually saw in the interviews grounds my advice for what is really practical :)

Let's talk about what shell/shirt you ladies are wearing with your suits. Collared shirts? Sequined corsets? What? Just kidding?

I figure I might as well start looking now so I am not randomly picking out the the first thing I see at the store, which is usually how I approach clothes shopping. :p

I'm thinking of leaning towards a red jacket and black skirt/pants - same material, of course. I found a picture and it looked very sharp. Red top and bottom seems a bit like overkill, and I'd like to stand out a bit. Navy is another option, but that seems as dark and overused as charcoal and black (just going from what I hear, please correct me if I'm wrong).

What's the consensus on heels? I'm a bit short but I hate them. Do people bring flats for tours and do they have an opportunity to change into heels for the interviews themselves? Or should I suck it up and learn to walk on two-inches for an hour or so?

Agreed on the red top and bottom being overkill. You're right in that a navy suit, while it's not as dark as black, will not stand out dramatically from the crowd. It's up to you if that's the look you're going for, but you should be standing out for your outstanding interview, not your killer outfit :). If you can do both, go for it!

I'd say don't learn to walk in heels for an interview. I love heels, but if you hate them, don't make yourself miserable.

If you want an easy heel to wear, look for shoes with a chunky heel, cushioning in the sole at the heel and ball of your foot, and without a platform. There seems to be a general agreement here that you can change into flats for the tour.

If you want advice on flats, avoid the ballet slipper look (large bows and flowers too). Flats can look professional with a nice buckle or metal accent.

In general, black leather (or fake leather) shoes are your best bet (unless you're wearing a shade of brown). I'd keep a pair of shoes just for interviews so they look nice and don't wear out. If you're buying new shoes, avoid patent because it's technically only to be worn between Easter and Labor Day, and it's never business formal. If you already have patent shoes, don't sweat it.

You sound JUST like me. I HATE heels but I'm short so I feel like flats would look bad to wear all day. I also have crappy ankles that will roll for no reason, so that's another reason I hate heels. You DEFINITELY can bring flats for the tour and heels for the actual interview. You can also get away with a chunkier heel, too, as opposed to more of a stilletto.

I wore a basic silk shell under my suit. It was very light and comfortable, and the neckline was just right for me (many cuts wind up showing too much of the girls). The downside was that I couldn't really shed my jacket because of the lack of sleeves, but I didn't mind too much. This was basically what I wore, in a color very similar to the "purple orchid" one they're showing there.

You sound JUST like me. I HATE heels but I'm short so I feel like flats would look bad to wear all day. I also have crappy ankles that will roll for no reason, so that's another reason I hate heels. You DEFINITELY can bring flats for the tour and heels for the actual interview. You can also get away with a chunkier heel, too, as opposed to more of a stilletto.

A style like the Calvin Klein Renni would be very good for this I think. It's a little higher of a heel, but the stability of the shoe and cushioning makes up for it. I'm pretty klutzy, so stable shoes are something I look for!

*Googles* Those look great to me, and very simple. They'll go with anything.

I wear the version that's 1/2" higher (the Olive), and I walked a mile in them yesterday to and from lunch. I had them on for 11 hours and no problems!

Colors other than black for suits and blouses in colors other than white/cream are a welcome change. In particular, avoid white/cream if you are blond and fair, it just washes a girl out.

How do people feel about pinstripe suits? I found a navy pinstripe suit that I love, but I wonder if interviewers might see it as... frivolous/non-serious? I'm short and look young for my age, so I just want to make sure pinstripes aren't viewed as immature.

How do people feel about pinstripe suits? I found a navy pinstripe suit that I love, but I wonder if interviewers might see it as... frivolous/non-serious? I'm short and look young for my age, so I just want to make sure pinstripes aren't viewed as immature.

Pinstripes aren't frivolous, especially not in navy. (Within reason of course, if the stripes are hot pink, that's another matter.) The cut of your suit is what will make the suit look young or frivolous.

Pinstripes aren't frivolous, especially not in navy. (Within reason of course, if the stripes are hot pink, that's another matter.) The cut of your suit is what will make the suit look young or frivolous.

Thanks! Yeah, definitely not picking a overly feminine jacket or a skirt with ruffles.

Great shoes! I do think the quilted fabric is a little less formal. Naturalizer also makes some good shoes similar to the Aerosoles.

EDIT: Agreed on the "not patent" for the second Cole Haan.

Ann Taylor is also great; similar price-points and style would be Banana Republic, The Limited, and Talbots.

Last edited:

I also look very young for my age. I wore a navy pin stripe pant suit with a light blue button up, with pearls and pumps. FWIW, I never saw another girl in a navy suit and I was complimented on it by interviewers and med students at almost all of my interviews. So, in my opinion it was a great alternative to black, while still being conservative. The pinstripes added confidence to the suit as well.

Probably too informal, but more because of the length of the sleeves than the modern, no-lapel jacket. The light grey is pretty.

EDIT: Agreed with the previous post that such a jacket needs to be tried on to make sure you have the figure to pull it off!

This was awesome :)