Health Policy & Mgmt - U of M vs Emory vs GWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MsMPH12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a dilemma. I've been accepted to all three schools and I can't decide which one to go to (I'm also waiting to hear back from UIC and some other schools, but these are my top three so far). So far no offers of scholarships. I'm interested in health policy and working on healthcare policy reform and reducing health disparities for underserved communities. All are really great schools and each have a lot to offer, especially the outstanding work of each school's faculty members. As far as my background, I've lived in Michigan all of my life, went to U of M undergrad, and am quite eager to move and experience a new city. However U of M is ranked #1 in Health Policy & Management. I've also been out of school for 5 years and it's important to me to receive hands on experience/work/research while pursuing my MPH as well as summer internships. I'm planning on attending these three visit days to help with my decision, but does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks!

Applied: U of M, Emory, GWU, UIC, UMinn, UPitt, UAB, UTHouston, Drexel
Accepted: U of M, Emory, GWU, Drexel, waiting on the rest
Rejected: None

Members don't see this ad.

Since U of M is #1, why second thoughts?

Since U of M is #1, why second thoughts?

Well, U of M is no doubt an excellent school. But it seems much more management focused than policy. It's a 60 credit program with a lot of economics, accounting, etc compared to other schools that are 45 credits and more policy focused curriculum such as GWU. Also, Ann Arbor is somewhat of a secluded city, so there's not much access to institutions with part-time policy jobs that I can work while taking classes. The networking is great, however networking can only get you so far without actual field experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Frankly, I think that people place a little too much emphasis on rankings. For example, Georgetown's MHA program is only 7 years old and their graduates are getting competitive fellowships over Michigan graduates. With that being said, you should go where you will have the most policy opportunities and naturally that is GWU. I can't imagine any better city to be in than Washington DC to do healthcare policy. In my eyes it's a no brainer. Assuming the financial piece matches up.

I have a dilemma. I've been accepted to all three schools and I can't decide which one to go to (I'm also waiting to hear back from UIC and some other schools, but these are my top three so far). So far no offers of scholarships. I'm interested in health policy and working on healthcare policy reform and reducing health disparities for underserved communities. All are really great schools and each have a lot to offer, especially the outstanding work of each school's faculty members. As far as my background, I've lived in Michigan all of my life, went to U of M undergrad, and am quite eager to move and experience a new city. However U of M is ranked #1 in Health Policy & Management. I've also been out of school for 5 years and it's important to me to receive hands on experience/work/research while pursuing my MPH as well as summer internships. I'm planning on attending these three visit days to help with my decision, but does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks!

Applied: U of M, Emory, GWU, UIC, UMinn, UPitt, UAB, UTHouston, Drexel
Accepted: U of M, Emory, GWU, Drexel, waiting on the rest
Rejected: None

Actually Michigan is ranked #1 in Healthcare Management.

Look at these rankings if you more interested in the policy side: http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ic-affairs-schools/health-management-rankings

Agree with Wickel: GWU will offer you the most policy opportunities.

Make sure you research the faculty at the schools and see which ones are doing work with organizations you are interested in.

Last edited:
Would agree with the other posters that Gw would be a better option for a policy focus plus more policy job opportunities... Except if you envision your long-term career in Michigan. Then you should go to U of M.

Here's my 2 cents. If you want to intern on the Hill right now, go to GWU. No question the location is unbeatable. Also, if you went to Michigan for undergrad, no doubt having a different academic experience is positive.

On the flip side you already live in Michigan, thus in-state tuition. If money is no object then disregard this statement, however GWU will be at least double the cost without considering scholarships. Plus the higher cost of living.

I would also like to point out, graduate school is first and foremost an premier educational experience. It is only two years and then BOOM, you're out in the real world. Think about how fast the last two years of your life went. Plenty of time to get "relevant" DC policy experience if you decide to attend Michigan or Emory afterwards. Focus on the best "academic" institution for you.

Lastly, wherever you choose, make the most of the situation. I will most likely be at UMich for Health Management because frankly, they have an outstanding track record of placing graduates in top hospitals. However, one could attend X State University and beat me for a fellowship, if that person worked hard enough. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Thanks everyone for the input! You all make very good points, and it's definitely a lot to think about.

Here's my 2 cents. If you want to intern on the Hill right now, go to GWU. No question the location is unbeatable. Also, if you went to Michigan for undergrad, no doubt having a different academic experience is positive.

On the flip side you already live in Michigan, thus in-state tuition. If money is no object then disregard this statement, however GWU will be at least double the cost without considering scholarships. Plus the higher cost of living.

I would also like to point out, graduate school is first and foremost an premier educational experience. It is only two years and then BOOM, you're out in the real world. Think about how fast the last two years of your life went. Plenty of time to get "relevant" DC policy experience if you decide to attend Michigan or Emory afterwards. Focus on the best "academic" institution for you.

Lastly, wherever you choose, make the most of the situation. I will most likely be at UMich for Health Management because frankly, they have an outstanding track record of placing graduates in top hospitals. However, one could attend X State University and beat me for a fellowship, if that person worked hard enough. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Hey I saw that you applied to BU too...do you have any idea about their healthcare management program? It wasn't listed in that ranking from the link above so..is it not as prestigious?

Thanks

Hey I saw that you applied to BU too...do you have any idea about their healthcare management program? It wasn't listed in that ranking from the link above so..is it not as prestigious?

Thanks

Check out the 2011 rankings (Boston is #11): http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...health-schools/healthcare-management-rankings

To be completely honest, it is unclear to me how "good" BU's Health Management program is. I also know they have a Health Sector MBA.

I think the location is near unbeatable. Boston is an epicenter for progressive health care in the United States, as well as host to a number of top hospitals. Think about how many great health care facilities exist and you're only really competing with fellow BU MPHers, BU MBAs and Harvard students. Not too shabby.

I would consider attending, but the price tag is too great for me. Even with merit scholarship. Maybe they will redistribute the money back to incoming students...

Good luck!

Does anyone have any input about Emory's Health Policy & Management program? Classes, Financial Aid, Internships, Job Connections, etc?

Emory's HPM program has undergone a restructuring over the past couple of years to my understanding with health policy and health management being more autonomous than they used to be. The health management track is being re-phased into 'health-services management' and can be done in a 12 month or 24 month format. They recently phased out the 18 month format for the program. The management track generally prepares you for consulting or managing a hospital and has some top notch recruitment placements in the south. The policy track I don't know as much about other than you're well situated for consulting firms, think tanks etc-- which I would assume would be Atlanta based for the consulting and D.C based for advocacy/think tanks. It takes 24 months to complete and you generally have great opportunities to see policy in motion with the CDC being next door. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the health services management concentration since the cohort size is only 40!

Emory's HPM program has undergone a restructuring over the past couple of years to my understanding with health policy and health management being more autonomous than they used to be. The health management track is being re-phased into 'health-services management' and can be done in a 12 month or 24 month format. They recently phased out the 18 month format for the program. The management track generally prepares you for consulting or managing a hospital and has some top notch recruitment placements in the south. The policy track I don't know as much about other than you're well situated for consulting firms, think tanks etc-- which I would assume would be Atlanta based for the consulting and D.C based for advocacy/think tanks. It takes 24 months to complete and you generally have great opportunities to see policy in motion with the CDC being next door. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the health services management concentration since the cohort size is only 40!

Yeah, when I went to Emory's Visit Day in October, they talked about the HPM concentration and how health policy & health management have same curriculum the the first year, and the second year veers off into each specialization. I have some contacts from some 2nd year policy students so I'll ask them for more details too.

UPDATE: Emory & George Washington's Visit Day pretty much knocked University of Michigan out of the running. Both were very impressive for policy & their respective HPM departments.