Official 2012 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amavir281

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw that there was a similar thread for 2011 that had plenty of useful info so I figured its best to start one for 2012. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the write up, I really like your strategy for 2nd year. One particular question about this. Did you start this pretty much from day 1, and if not, when did you pick it up? In retrospect, do you feel random over subject-based was the right choice? Doing it subject-based just makes so much more intuitive sense to me in that it would drastically cut down on things you hadn't seen before. What I originally had in mind was starting Qbank after 1st organ system was finished being covered, then working through Qbank subject-based starting with that subject and progressing through the order of organ systems as the year went on

I picked it up in late January I think. I wish I had started earlier with pathbio which we had in the Fall before the systems-based pathology started in the second half of the year. Your second question actually reminds me (and sorry for the slip, it has been a while since I've thought about Kaplan) that I actually did go through Kaplan adding each system as we covered it. MAJOR point that I totally forgot about, so my bad. I didn't limit the disciplines within the system I was covering though. That is, my first path unit was respiratory so I'd check the respiratory system box only, but for categories within the system (biochem, anatomy, pharm, physio, path, etc.) I'd check all of the boxes that way I'm getting solid review which was still beyond the scope of what was being covered in proximity to my school's path unit. Eventually the systems start to pile up. Moving to UWorld, I was a little worried that I might have lost a step in my earlier systems because obviously early on your blocks are going to be heavy in a given system where later your study is going to be more dilute due to the addition of other systems, and your early systems are going to suffer dilution to a greater degree since you already knocked out a large portion of those questions. I found this wasn't the case though. I still had a respiratory question here and there at the end of working with Kaplan, and that was enough to jar my memory.

Just got out of my exam on 6/19.

Practice exam scores:

School CBSE 250 (5 weeks out)
NBME 7 259 (4 weeks out)
UWSA 1 261 (3 weeks out)
NBME 13 261 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2 264 (10 days out)
NBME 12 261 (5 days out)

The real test felt harder than any of the practice exams. I will admit that I felt poor after I finished the practice exams, but the immediate relief of a good score at the end always changed my mind. The real deal just felt more difficult.

I was hoping for anything 250+ but now I'll be happy with 230 lol. I know this is a common theme around here so I hope that on exam day I'll be pleasantly surprised.

My study strategies weren't typical but weren't too far from the norm either. If I get a good score I can post more about it. Will let you guys know July 11th.

1. Class ranking is really not as relevant as you'd think for this exam. I guess the strongest correlation between class ranking and board score is that the higher the class rank, the higher the work ethic, etc. Overall though, the actual board exam is SO much more basic than what is taught in class. The goal of class is to prepare you to become a good doctor, not a good step 1 taker. I know so many top ranked students in my class that did much worse than average students in our class. The amount of preparation going into the boards is the strongest indicator of score, not how well you did in your classes.

I know that high board scores are important, but I don't think that residency programs look at Step 1 scores in a vacuum. I would tend to think that someone with virtually all honors in their classes and a 240+ Step 1 score probably would be viewed a bit higher than someone with a 250's and worse in-class performance. Obviously, when comparing 2 equally impressive students, the better Step 1 score could get the extra push. The score, however, in and of itself, probably isn't as important as some people on here think it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that high board scores are important, but I don't think that residency programs look at Step 1 scores in a vacuum. I would tend to think that someone with virtually all honors in their classes and a 240+ Step 1 score probably would be viewed a bit higher than someone with a 250's and worse in-class performance. Obviously, when comparing 2 equally impressive students, the better Step 1 score could get the extra push. The score, however, in and of itself, probably isn't as important as some people on here think it is.

We've already debated repeatedly that maybe the difference between a 260- and 270-student isn't very substantial, but that a 230 separating a 220 or a 250 separating a 240 is big. SoM exams are less significant imo because schools differ as far as how they assess things. I would probably accept a mid-ranked student with a 255 over a valedictorian with a 240, because the former could apply his or her knowledge when it actually mattered (and I'd rather have my surgeon be able to do that).

Hi guys,
I felt an urge to post on SDN because I have visited the forums on and off for the last year or so for some extra tips. Just took the test recently and got my score...and I just wanted to share my feelings about it with ya'll

My school gave us six weeks to study..the last week was a waste because I was too burnt out. These are my practice scores:
Resources: FA 2012, Pathoma, UWorld, Goljan lectures
Practice exam scores:
NBME 6 : 221 (6 weeks out)
NBME 11 : 240 (4 weeks out)
UWSA 1 : 253 (3 weeks out)
NBME 13 : 235 (2 weeks out)
NBME 7 : 254 (2 weeks out)
UWSA 2 : 253 (1 week out)
NBME 12 : 254 (3 days before)
Real score : 256

I took a lot of practice exams..probably because I didn't like studying first aid..lol.
Ideas about preparing for the exam not in any particular order :
1. Class ranking is really not as relevant as you'd think for this exam. I guess the strongest correlation between class ranking and board score is that the higher the class rank, the higher the work ethic, etc. Overall though, the actual board exam is SO much more basic than what is taught in class. The goal of class is to prepare you to become a good doctor, not a good step 1 taker. I know so many top ranked students in my class that did much worse than average students in our class. The amount of preparation going into the boards is the strongest indicator of score, not how well you did in your classes.
2. Resources are not all that important.. Okay, I admit I never hit the 260 range so if you are aiming high for 260s, then skip this post. However, for most non-genious-sdn posters, a score in the 250s is pretty satisfying. I was ecstatic about my grade.
3. The only resource that you should focus on are UW and FA. And between these substances, FA is 100000x more important. UW has a lot of helpful tricks, don't get me wrong, but it also has a lot of detail that is not in FA. If it is not in FA, consider the material low yield. I cannot overemphasize how important it is to pound in FA, rather than try to pound in multiple sources. FA is so dense in and of itself - I don't know if most people can memorize it in its completeness. Expect many "one liners" from FA to appear on your exam.
4. The actual test is more like the NBMEs. If you have been familiarizing yourself with the UWorld style of examining, then I recommend taking at least one nbme(probably 11 or 12) .to familiarize yourself with the way they ask questions. REVIEW THE ONES YOU GOT WRONG, because it allows you to realize the types of mistakes you made. It also enhances your TEST taking ability. Lots of treatment questions on the NBMEs are actually PRACTICAL and basic (i.e. choose the one that costs the last amount of money) Check the SDN forums for the answers to one's you got wrong... Again, the NBME questions have a lot of "hard" questions but the answer choices are so distinct that you usually end up getting a much higher percentage right than what you'd "expect" after taking one.
5. Pathoma is good...,,,.for concepts. I know people love Pathoma, and trust me I do, but even this resource is too detailed for step 1. I reviewed Pathoma 2 days before my exam (one day cram review) and I felt like I knew it cold. I'm pretty sure this may have gotten me one or two extra questions right at most. For the amount of time I spent trying to memorize it though, it definetly was not high yield. Pathoma is a HARD book to memorize cold - it is deceptively dense. I could've spent more time on FA and UWorld which probably would've got me more questions right but overall I can't say too many negative things about Pathoma because the first half of the book especially is incredibly helpful for understanding pathology.
6. Goljan is still the king. His lectures are definetly not outdated and honestly, it takes at least one or two passes through FA before you realize just how powerful Goljan lectures are. He brings together so many different concepts...and you can listen to him while you're exercising, etc
7. The most important thing you can do apart from FA and UWorld is to improve your test taking skills. How can you do this? Make a separate sheet of paper that talks about "mistakes" you made based on tricks. By the end of my studying period, I had accumulated more than 10 pages of common "tricks" that appeared on NBME exams and UWorld. Read the question and study why you made a dumb mistake and what the test makers were getting at. I cannot emphasize how important this is. JUST like what everyone else is saying, the actual test is about : 1. Minimizing dumb mistakes. 2. Recognizing what the question is asking you. You can improve both of these by doing practice questions. But when you do practice questions, think critically and ask yourself "why did I get this wrong" or "what's the trick here" rather than just looking at the answer. These are simple ways but extremely worthwhile ways to improve your NBME practice exam scores.
8, FA and UWorld has all the info you need. Understanding all this info though, can be difficult and that's what you should use other resources for. If you are weak in other areas, then read through a review book and annotate the info into FA. EVERYTHING is pretty much a supplement to FA
9. People that thought the actual test was way harder than UW or the NBME's probably didn't do enough practice questions. Okay I apologize in advance if that may offend some people, but in all honesty after doing 1000 NBME question and 2500 UW questions I am extremely confident that about 80% of the test was like the nbme and 20% was like UW in terms of difficulty.
10. The actual test is around 10-20% experimental. This is from the intro in FA and anecdotal evidence. Honestly, I feel that this is one of the most underrated topics. Who cares if someone got a crazy question on a new gene? Crazy questions are probably more likely to be experimental than not. My point is, don't worry about learning about some redundant minutia. Reinforce and know the high yield COLD. If it does appear on your exam, the other answer choices are distinct enough for you to make a good guess on the answer. If anyone wants extra help, just message me. Good luck everyone.
11. In summary, FA+UWorld+NBME's are what I would reccomend to everyone.

Very good input/advice. Thanks a lot for posting and great job on the exam. I agree heavily with the first bold statement. I think the second bold statement may be an exaggeration though- you've even emphasized it yourself- most material converges onto FA and UW, but most of the reinforcement comes from doing as many questions as possible, which very much means extending beyond those two (and yes, I'm also talking about if one is aiming 260+).

I picked it up in late January I think. I wish I had started earlier with pathbio which we had in the Fall before the systems-based pathology started in the second half of the year. Your second question actually reminds me (and sorry for the slip, it has been a while since I've thought about Kaplan) that I actually did go through Kaplan adding each system as we covered it. MAJOR point that I totally forgot about, so my bad. I didn't limit the disciplines within the system I was covering though. That is, my first path unit was respiratory so I'd check the respiratory system box only, but for categories within the system (biochem, anatomy, pharm, physio, path, etc.) I'd check all of the boxes that way I'm getting solid review which was still beyond the scope of what was being covered in proximity to my school's path unit. Eventually the systems start to pile up. Moving to UWorld, I was a little worried that I might have lost a step in my earlier systems because obviously early on your blocks are going to be heavy in a given system where later your study is going to be more dilute due to the addition of other systems, and your early systems are going to suffer dilution to a greater degree since you already knocked out a large portion of those questions. I found this wasn't the case though. I still had a respiratory question here and there at the end of working with Kaplan, and that was enough to jar my memory.

Thanks for clearing that up!

In surveys of residency program directors, step 1 is consistently rated higher than pre-clinical grades (which are often much much lower down on the list), except in fields like family medicine where neither is rated very high (in contrast to the more competitive fields). You're correct that board scores aren't viewed in a vacuum, but the grades that are taken into consideration with them are the clinical grades. Step 1 is standardized, so I guess it is considered a much more useful comparison of basic science knowledge/performance.

The other factor is that many schools, like mine, are Pass/Fail and don't disclose class rank from the first two years anyways, so preclinical grades are worthless at that point anyways...hopefully my step 1 score turns out to be excellent (hopefully at my practice NBME score range) and PD's can just assume I was getting 90%+ in blocks during the first two years, even though my actual scores were much lower than that...

Last edited:
A lot of schools say that the first two years are "unranked" but I always hear that the cat is let out of the bag in the MSPE and of course the presence/absence of junior AOA since preclinical grades tend to be the primary determining factor in initial selection.

So my study plan was pretty longitudinal. My resources were BRS Physiology, Pathoma, First Aid, RR Biochem, High-Yield Cell and Molecular bio, and Robbins Review of pathology. I used Kaplan Q bank throughout the school year and was done with about 3/4 of it before I took the year-end CBSE at which point I switched over to UWorld for my dedicated study time.

Basically during my pathology course, for each organ system I would spend a few days mastering the physiology content for the organ system we were covering, and I would do the questions at the end of the BRS chapter to assess my mastery. Then I would move on to the Pathoma section for the organ system and make sure I really mastered that and understood it on a conceptual level (which was pretty easy because Dr. Sattar is truly gifted in this department). I would then try to integrate the physiology and pathology by giving the FA section for the organ system a read and annotating relevant pathology into the physiology section, and relevant physiology into the pathology section. This integration step is so crucial. Honestly my copy of FA looks like it belongs to a madman because if something reminded me of a concept I would write it there and then, and I think this made a huge difference for me. Once I had done that, I would go and do the questions that pertained to the organ system in Robbins Review of Path, and read the answers to ALL questions at the end of the chapter. This took a lot of time away from studying my school specific material, and my grades went down significantly from first year to second, but after doing everything I outlined above I felt fine going into my school's exams and would end up doing slightly better than average (I was basically giving up stupid factoids like memorizing the LD50 of lidocaine and nailing all of the high-yeild points on each exam).

Along with all of this, I would do a random block of 46 Kaplan Q bank questions per night, and afterwards I reviewed the answer to EVERY question. Obviously it's going to be slow at first, and you're going to get a lot wrong because there are topics you have yet to cover. I reviewed each block with my FA open in front of me, and Kaplan is great for this because they give the relevant FA page for each question. So I was able to read their detailed explanation, annotate into FA right there and then, and also read the section in FA if I felt weak there. I NEVER read FA cover-to-cover like I hear so many people doing here, but if you were to look at my annotations, you'd be convinced I had done so 5 times. If you go through FA with your Q bank, you will cover the material. Again, it is crucial to integrate here where you can. I remember I had a question about de novo pyrimidine synthesis which was a topic I hadn't seen in over a year, so I spent some time with the Kaplan explanation, FA, and would reference RR Biochem here and there, and I learned it. Later on I got a question about the urea cycle, which again I hadn't seen in a while so I studied it as above, and light bulb went off when I read "carbamoyl phosphate". I knew I had seen it before, but I wasn't sure where, so I flipped through the FA biochem section, and sure enough there it was in de novo pyrimidine synth, so I CONNECTED them. Now every time I saw a urea cycle question it reinforced de novo pyrimidine synth, and vice-versa. This part is SO SO SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOOO crucial. Without this, FA is a collection of random facts. If you connect the different boxes, it becomes a confluent picture that makes sense.

SO I did Kaplan until my dedicated study period and got through the majority of it (had about 600 or so questions left) before switching over to UWorld. I basically used UWorld in the same way that I used Kaplan. I did two random blocks of 46 in the AM and reviewed ALL of the questions in the afternoon. At this point I knew what some of my weak points were and focused on them. I still had some holes in biochem so I went and read High-Yield Cell and Molecular as well as RR Biochem after I'd get done studying for the day. I was also somewhat weak in pharm, but honestly FA + the Q banks were money for this. At this point in my studying I had pathology and physio down pat because of all of the work I had put in before, and any time these questions would come up I would try to find novel ways to integrate subjects (i.e. I would try to integrate across topics; ex: A question comes up about the pathology of alcoholic liver disease, I connect that to the biochemical degradation of alcohol and branch from that into other systems, and from there I might branch off into acid-base physiology, effects on the TCA cycle, etc.).

I did so many practice exams because when studying for the MCAT I found that if I got on a schedule of doing practice exams at regular intervals (weekly, and then every-other-day in the last week) the real thing would just feel routine.

That's about it though. I let the Q banks handle random topics like anatomy that wasn't covered in FA, and I thought the Q banks + FA were great for micro. I think the key to using the Q banks is to really read the explanation for EVERY question (right or wrong) and EVERY answer possibility. Where you can, use the explanation to quiz yourself too. For example, if you get one of those physiology questions with the arrows, try and reason out what the other answer choices would correspond to before going and reading the explanation. I found it was exceptionally rare that an answer offered by UWorld or Kaplan was total non-sense (I can think of maybe 2 times where an explanation was offered as "This is not a physiologic profile we would ever expect to see."). So with that said, every question and every possible answer offers a learning experience.

TL;DR: I studied with my classes and think integrating topics is very important. If you have any questions lemme know (I felt like I was rambling a bit, so sorry in advance if anything is unclear!).

Curious, with your long term plan did you end up buying the new First Aid when it came out in January, or did you just stick to your 1 year old copy?

Any reason you chose not to use RR Path? It seems like that is a dying review source. No one seems to mention it anymore.

Last edited:
Hello folks

I took my exam back in April and just thought I would give my two cents. Even though I attend a school with true pass/fail grades I studied my butt off my first two years. I think most would agree that if you go into the 5 or so weeks of prep without a strong foundation, it is difficult to achieve a high score. I can imagine that some people who "slack" more their first two years could still get a super awesome score, but I'd think they would need more than 4-5 weeks to prepare without having a great foundational knowledge.

I prepared for 5 weeks for Step 1. This is what I used:

First Aid (went through it 3 times, the last time I went thru it in 3 days)
UWorld Qbank (went thru it once, ~80% overall)
Goljan Audio Lectures (listened to them when I worked out at the gym or needed break from reading)

That is all I used. I strongly believe that with a pretty good foundation, you don't need anything else. I had never heard of pathoma before I took the test, but if you find it to be helpful as many people have, I'm sure it would be a solid additional resource. I found that people that used a ton of resources shot themselves in the foot because they thought "the more the better". I believe that once you start to venture outside of the FA/UWorld/Goljan Audio prep approach, the harder it is to get thru everything.

UWSA 1: >265 (~88% I think, two weeks into studying, three weeks away from real deal)
UWSA 2: >265 (89%, 3.5 weeks into studying, 1.5 weeks away from the real deal)

Real Score: 268

Let me first say, the process was very tough. I studied about 12-14 hours a day, but with breaks included (so about 10-12 of devoted study time). I had a routine, and I stuck to it. One thing I can strongly suggest is to get a schedule/make a schedule and STICK TO IT. There were days that I didn't get thru as many questions as I wanted to for that day, but I stuck to my schedule and started a new topic the next day on time; I never got behind the schedule. It will feel weird moving on without having a full grasp of what you did that day, but it's in your brain somewhere; trust it. I was nervous as hell the entire time studying and worried as many of us do that I was forgetting everything, and in fact, I probably was forgetting a lot. But one thing that calmed me down over time was remembering that this is not a free response exam. If it were, I would have been toast haha. But somewhere, somehow, a key word or detail in the question stem triggers some synaptic jubilee to occur and I would have a strong hunch for one answer over another. I got used to trusting that hunch because I knew it, but I couldn't just outright tell you.

On the real exam, this is going to sound odd given that I ended up doing very well, but I felt like I absolutely tanked the exam. Within 24 hours of walking out of the test center, I could think of 15 questions on the exam that were CAKE questions that I just totally brainfarted on. Incredibly stupid mistakes. I was certain I didn't get anywhere close to my UWSA scores, but somehow it worked out alright. My test was actually pretty darn tough. It was definitely harder than both UWSAs. The question stems were a lot longer on average. The up/down arrow pathophys questions had like 5 variables, so those took a lot longer than they should have. They also put one variable in the up/down arrow questions that made it much more difficult, i.e. they would give you 4 of the 5 variables that were pretty easy, but would make the 5th be a really tough one. So on those I narrowed it down to two and went with my gut on a lot. I also had a ton of ethics questions that were ridiculously hard. They weren't obvious answer like a lot of the UWorld questions, but they were more the nit picky minutia of Durable Power of Attorney, informed consent, etc. I loved the questions on U World bc they were like free points, but the ones on the real test pissed on me. No bueno. I also found timing to be MORE of a problem than on UWorld Self Assessments. On the U World tests, I would finish a block with about 20 minutes left and maybe 5 questions marked. On the real test, I would finish with 10-15 minutes left but 15 questions marked. So the longer question stems definitely slowed me down and definitely made me mark more questions given the more complex nature of the questions compared to UWSA.

Hope that helped. Good luck to you all as you prepare for this sucky test that by no means tests how smart you are.

We've already debated repeatedly that maybe the difference between a 260- and 270-student isn't very substantial, but that a 230 separating a 220 or a 250 separating a 240 is big. SoM exams are less significant imo because schools differ as far as how they assess things. I would probably accept a mid-ranked student with a 255 over a valedictorian with a 240, because the former could apply his or her knowledge when it actually mattered (and I'd rather have my surgeon be able to do that)..

I don't necessarily think that "application" of knowledge differentiates the 240 from a 255. First off, the SEM is 6, which separates some of the difference. I'm not a residency director, but if I were, I certainly would not pick residents like that. As has been mentioned, NBME actually doesn't recommend using the exam to differentiate students (other than Pass vs. Fail). Obviously the test is used to standardized amongst students, but outside of a great student doing poorly (i.e. valedictorian scoring in the 220's or poor student doing tremendously), I really don't think it says that much.

On the real exam, this is going to sound odd given that I ended up doing very well, but I felt like I absolutely tanked the exam. Within 24 hours of walking out of the test center, I could think of 15 questions on the exam that were CAKE questions that I just totally brainfarted on. Incredibly stupid mistakes. I was certain I didn't get anywhere close to my UWSA scores, but somehow it worked out alright.

Real Score: 268

Very comforting/assuaging (and kind of funny too :) )

Let me first say, the process was very tough. I studied about 12-14 hours a day, but with breaks included (so about 10-12 of devoted study time). I had a routine, and I stuck to it. One thing I can strongly suggest is to get a schedule/make a schedule and STICK TO IT. There were days that I didn't get thru as many questions as I wanted to for that day, but I stuck to my schedule and started a new topic the next day on time; I never got behind the schedule. It will feel weird moving on without having a full grasp of what you did that day, but it's in your brain somewhere; trust it. I was nervous as hell the entire time studying and worried as many of us do that I was forgetting everything, and in fact, I probably was forgetting a lot. But one thing that calmed me down over time was remembering that this is not a free response exam. If it were, I would have been toast haha. But somewhere, somehow, a key word or detail in the question stem triggers some synaptic jubilee to occur and I would have a strong hunch for one answer over another. I got used to trusting that hunch because I knew it, but I couldn't just outright tell you.

Good advice, thanks. I always feel like I'm forgetting things, so I'm glad you say that.

Could someone please just make a USMLE book titled HY-CT? And when I say that with all seriousness, perhaps it could be made sweetly into a 50-page package for 15 bucks.

You're right that this is an area lacking any good resources. If someone were to actually come out with such a book, I bet they'd make a ton of money!

Took it today - can't even remember one question >.>

Mine was heavy on micro and anatomy. Lots of visual images - stains, xrays, MRI, CT, slides, gross. I also had about 3 or so behavioral questions on every block from the "what would you do with this patient" to interpreting graphs with data. Physio was mostly endo with arrows. Biochem was focused on genetics and storage diseases, embyro thankfully was straightforward gimmes, not much immuno, pharm was the usual MOA and some SEs and some kinetics, Cardio was around 3 media questions, GI seemed to be all ulcers and infections, Hemeonc barely anything, MSK was mostly anatomy qs on injuring something, neuro was MRIs and point to the lesion, Psych was straightforward, renal was straightforward , Reproductive was big on pregnant female having random issues and lots of GYU/GU tumros, and Resp was the usual COPD/asthma case.

I think out of all things I used, going over and analyzing Uworld and the NMBEs helped the most. I also used Kaplan Anatomy and Behavioral science that definitely scored me some points.

I didn't really feel I had WTF questions, just stuff I couldn't remember or they probed deep into common problems and their complications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Curious, with your long term plan did you end up buying the new First Aid when it came out in January, or did you just stick to your 1 year old copy?

Any reason you chose not to use RR Path? It seems like that is a dying review source. No one seems to mention it anymore.

I went with the new copy. I really got into it later than I wanted to, starting in January. Not sure what I would have done had I started earlier than I did though. The move to illustrated FA was a pretty big shift imo. Early on I HATED that Kaplan hadn't updated page #s for the new FA too (since they were pretty significant this year).

I do own RR path, and I like Pathoma 1000x better simply because I see RR as just another big collection of facts outside of the blue boxes which are pretty awesome. It's just too dense. I do think with the shift toward clinical decision making RR might still have a place though. I don't think Pathoma is as consistent about these points as RR is but they are there, and I can't imagine Dr. Sattar not adjusting for this. I had one question about first step in work-up of someone with obvious MS, and just out of curiosity I looked at both and they both include spinal tap for oligoclonal ABs and MRI (being most sensitive), so for the biggies the clinical decision making is on par. Honestly, I found it so helpful to hear how someone reasons through these problems in a short lecture format. Just reading Pathoma in a vacuum is no better (and probably worse) than RR; the real gold is in the lectures.

I think out of all things I used, going over and analyzing Uworld and the NMBEs helped the most. I also used Kaplan Anatomy and Behavioral science that definitely scored me some points.

I didn't really feel I had WTF questions, just stuff I couldn't remember or they probed deep into common problems and their complications.

Congrats on being done

Did you use the Kaplan anatomy videos?

hi. i am new on this forum. being an IMG and having completed my graduation a few years back,i would really appreciate if i am provided with guidance about a study plan and study material that suits and old graduate like me.
what about kaplan-LNs?didnt see them mentioned as much.

Congrats on being done

Did you use the Kaplan anatomy videos?

Yes, I watched all of Histo, Anatomy and Neuroanatomy at 2x. I think the two guys did a good job since especially since I reviewed the book the day before and definitely had a few questions straight from their clinical correlate boxes.

Yes, I watched all of Histo, Anatomy and Neuroanatomy at 2x. I think the two guys did a good job since especially since I reviewed the book the day before and definitely had a few questions straight from their clinical correlate boxes.

Yes, Dr. White is an AMAZING teacher; he saved me on neuro. So I will second that Kaplan neuroanatomy is clutch. My bud over at Drexel says he is their gross teacher and he is even better in person.

Also for anyone on the last days of their prep who is too burned out to do anything, try the First Aid Express vids. Yes, it's true that it consists of a bunch of nerds just reading FA2012 to you but I found it really helpful in my last 3 days before the test. It is only 30 hours which you can watch in a couple of days on 2x speed and covers 90% of FA, by my estimate. I can remember 5-7 questions I got right simply because I could remember them reading that part of FA to me.

Nuetron: I would start with Pathoma to lay a foundation for your studying; I cannot say enough about Dr. Sattar and his teaching style. Watch Pathoma 2x and then tackle First Aid followed by uWorld over the next month. This would be my recommendation.

Last edited:
I took the exam on monday 6/18. Had 6 weeks to study, which at about 5 weeks I was getting burnt out and starting to feel like I was forgetting stuff I had known a few weeks back. This is my breakdown and the resources I used:

NBME 7, 12 weeks out to get a baseline: 219
NBME 11, 4 weeks out: 247
UWSA 1, 2 weeks out: 263
UWSA 2, 1 week out: 265
UW 1st pass: low 70s%
UW 2nd pass: low 90s%

I used FA throughout 1st and 2nd year so I was pretty familiar with it. I went though it in-depth one time during my 6 weeks, then would just refer when needed.

Pathoma: HIGHLY recommend! I got a number of questions on my exam correct because of a few one-liners out of his book. He does an awesome job explaining basic principles to help you understand a concept, rather than just memorizing it. He was the only resource I used during my first 2 weeks of studying and my score jumped up to 247. I re-listened to a few of my weak sections the week before my exam and was glad that I did.

UW: cannot stress this enough!!! I would say that more than 50% of my test on Monday was a question that I had in UW, maybe not exactly the same, the real test seems to give you more labs, vitals, etc. that you don't really need to answer the question, but they were close enough. A lot of the figures on my exam I had seen in UW too. If I had to do it again I would have gone through UW one more time, at least the ones I missed or had. marked

Goljan: I listened to him throughout second year with each system course and loved him but only listened to a few lectures throughout my board studying. I would say his first few hours when he discusses cell injury, hypoxia, etc. are the best, but if you really want to understand a concept then pathoma is better, in my opinion.

I also went through all of the questions in the Red robbins questions book. I think these are a good representation of the real test questions in terms of length and the fact that they give you a lot of extra information that you usually don't need to answer the question, such as BMI, BP, pulse, etc.

Pharm: FA is definitely all I needed. All of the drugs on my exam were 1st order questions and super high yield, nothing tricky.

Micro: Most of the micro on my exam was high yield, straight from FA. There was one parasite question that you had to know what it looked like to answer the question. I looked it up on wiki after the section and the picture on the test was straight from wiki, but probably not worth stressing over for 1 question.

I am absolutely terrible at biochem and just went through the UW biochem questions a few times and felt very prepared for the questions on the test.

My exam was pretty heavy on cardio and respiratory but other than these subjects it had very little emphasis on concepts.

I think I had 3 embryo questions, all I recognized from UW or FA.

I had quite a bit of anatomy, maybe like 2-3 per section, many were easy points that everyone knows but there were a few difficult questions, overall I would say 1-2 that weren't in UW or FA.

The night before my test I went through the rapid review section in FA which is SUPER high yield. I would say at least 50% of the test can be easily answered if you know this section cold!

There were probably 10 questions on my test that I had absolutely no idea what was going on and that couldn't be answered using FA. Around half of these were ethical type questions, which were very subjective or just terminology that are not in FA. The other 2 were molecular biology/lab technique questions that I may have learned in undergrad but haven't seen since then.

I am a very slow reader and I finished most of the blocks with 12-15 minutes left, which gave me plenty of time to go back and look back over the questions I had marked, which I don't know if that was really a good thing because I know of a few that I changed from the right to wrong answer... :-/

Anyway, I will update when I get my score. Hope this helps! Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Just took this biotch! Def feeling relieved, but also kinda shook! I can't believe they make us wait an entire month before receiving our scores! WTF!

Just took this biotch! Def feeling relieved, but also kinda shook! I can't believe they make us wait an entire month before receiving our scores! WTF!
That's definitely the worst part. Can you imagine having taken this **** in mid May and having to wait until July 11th? I took mine last week and I'm already going crazy.

Just took Step 1 today, glad it's over. Let me preface by saying everyone's experience is different. I had friends who had an impossible test where they felt like they were guessing on more than half of the questions, and others who felt their test was not bad at all.

As for me, I definitely thought my test was pretty fair - a balance of everything (cardio,renal,resp,endo,repro,embryo,immuno,micro, biochem). Absolutely 85% of the material was covered in FA + UWorld and the 15% that wasn't wouldn't have been found in any other Step 1 prep material (Goljan, Pathoma, BRS, etc.). The only way I would have known those questions was if I had studied 12 hours a day for the first two years of med school and looked at random CT's and MRI's for an extra month.

My stats (not too much to show):
UW 1st pass: ~65%
UW 2nd pass: ~78%
School administered NBME - 6 weeks out: 185 (I hadn't really studied at all)
NBME 13 - 3.5 weeks out: 224 (Had reviewed about 4-5 chapters in FA)
I ended up not taking anymore NBME's because I wasn't really concerned about passing or not, and felt the 4-5 hours would be better spent reviewing material. Friends who had comparable scores to me throughout ISP were getting in the 240's with 2 weeks to go.

The tricky part of the test isn't so much knowing all the material, but knowing the material well enough that you can interpret the question vignettes and understand the language they use. On the "non-gimme", more complex questions, they tend to not use the key words or bullet points you read so often in FA, but instead describe those symptoms or conditions a little more vaguely; meaning you should understand what all the words and terms listed in FA really mean. Walking out of the exam, there were already a number questions I could think of where I knew where in FA the answer was, I could tell you what section and what part of the page it was on, but I just couldn't remember the answer itself (really frustrating). There were also a few where I knew what was going on, I could explain the phys and path, etc., but couldn't decipher exactly what the question was going for and ended up picking the wrong thing.

In general, if you're like me and didn't do too well on a practice test to start off your ISP, do not worry at all. It is absolutely reasonable to raise your score from a 180 to a 250. I've had several friends who did just that, and all of them used FA+UWorld. If I could redo 2nd year, I would spend the school year using things like Pathoma, BRS, Goljan, and UW to annotate the hell out of FA. That way once ISP comes, reading FA is like reading all of those resources together.

I got through two passes of UWorld (1 during the year and 1 during the ISP) and 2 passes of FA (1 during the first 3 weeks of ISP and one during the last week of ISP). People tend to take the day before easy (or off), but I absolutely crammed and tried to look at almost every page of FA. And it helped out a lot - things I hadn't seen for 3-4 weeks were fresh in my mind and it definitely helped me get a number of questions right on the test.

Finally, do not let this test discourage you. Anyone can do well. After taking it, I can definitely see how people who truly master (and I emphasize "master") just FA + Uworld get 250's and 260's on this thing. I'm definitely not going to be up there, but it can be done. I'll let you know how it turns out in a few weeks.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My test is almost 6 days from now and I took my last practice test 3 weeks from exam and scored exactly 224 and decided not to do any other practice test. Can you give some advice regarding things one should do in last few days.
Good luck for your score.

Different people like different strategies but what I did for the last 4-5 days was completely reread all of FA. I originally wanted to do 3-4 sets of random blocks of 46 on UWorld each night as well, but reading took so much time for me that I only got around to doing 1-2 blocks a night. On weaker subject areas (neuro for me) I made it a point to go through the UWorld blocks I had already done for that section. By just reading through those blocks quickly, without actually redoing the questions, I was able to get through 2-3 blocks in an hour. Again, I only did that for my weaker subjects and spent a majority of my time making sure FA was fresh in my mind.

Any recommendations for subject areas of Physiology to focus on (esp any subjects to supplement FA/UW)?

Definitely Cardio, phys, and renal. cardio and respiratory were really heavy on my exam and you had to be really comfortable with the concepts to answer the questions. I would consider phys to be my strongest subject and I even thought some of the questions were pretty difficult. But, I think BRS phys would be a sufficient review.

Thanks for sharing your experience. My test is almost 6 days from now and I took my last practice test 3 weeks from exam and scored exactly 224 and decided not to do any other practice test. Can you give some advice regarding things one should do in last few days.
Good luck for your score.

UW practice questions are the highest yield during your last few days IMO.

just took my test 2 days ago, been freaking out since, I looked up like 7 or 8 questions afterward, got 5 wrong (1 was super easy). Kinda need some encouragement.

Stats:
UWorld 1st pass, random timed : 72%
School test 2 months out : 210
NBME 13 1 month out : 228
NBME 7 1 week out : 252
really just hoping to get a 240+, I've always been an average student during school, so I can't really hope for much more.

Books:
FA 2011 then glanced through a couple sections of a friend's 2012 after he was done with his test
BRS phys and path (COMPLETE waste of time)- i read it through and annotated my first aid during my first pass. After I got through it once I reevaluated based on Qbank and my first NBME's and decided it wasn't worth my time. I really wish I would've used that time to go through first aid an extra time. I think part of my improvement between my nbme 13 and nbme 7 was that I stopped worrying about brs and hammered FA and uworld hard. The other part is that nbme 7 just suited me better.
Kaplan Pharm videos, Pharmcards(just for review while on the john)
Didn't get through all of Uworld a second time, maybe like 25% of my 800 marked questions.

Test:
I marked like 10-15 questions per block on my first 4 sections, 6 on my 5th, and 8-13 on my last 2. Was really pressed for time on the first 4, I really think it was just nerves and not being totally mentally there for some reason.
I'm not sure how much detail I'm allowed to share so let me know if i need to delete some of this: I definitely saw a few concepts that I recognized from Uworld (the anti-sheep blood antibodies meaning heterophile test helped out on two different questions).
I felt like they went easy on me on the anatomy and embryo (even though one questions had options A through P). It was all stuff like brachial arch/pouch/cleft and brachial/lumbar plexus (besides those i had 1 abdominal anatomy question was tough)
Had at least two questions about concepts that were in FA 2012 and NOT in 2011, got 1 of them wrong. Both had to do with wound healing.
2 heart sounds, 1 9-lead ECG, 1 connected question, all pretty simple stuff.
What worries me is I really got screwed on some of the endo, and made some dumb mistakes with micro. Scabies seemed like a reasonable answer choice a few derm questions and I really don't know anything about it which was uncomfortable.
Only one image that had no clues in the question stem, and I think it was easy. All the other images and slides you could get from the stem.
Pharm wasn't terrible, had three that stick out as being tough, only one of them was about drugs I had never seen before. One about cyp modifiers was disguised and I didn't realize it until later (talked to a friend after and I guess it was explicitly stated in Kaplan's pharmcards).

I would recommend just going through FA and uworld really hard, and if you are using 2011, glance through a the couple sections of 2012 that are added (as well as bone tumors just cause its way easier in 2012). I felt like none of the details I crammed for toward the end were on the test. It really is just more about being able to recognize the way things present. Questions and FA are the only prep you need.

anyway, hope it helps, and let me know if i need to delete anything.

do you guys recommend getting usmleRx to supplement FA and hammer in the details? I have gone thru world 1.5 times and will continue to finish it... have about 30 days.

just took my test 2 days ago, been freaking out since, I looked up like 7 or 8 questions afterward, got 5 wrong (1 was super easy). Kinda need some encouragement.

"took test on 7/19 "
you took it on 07/19?
and you came from to future to share your experience? man, that's kind of you!
jokes, cheers for your write-up and good luck :)

Took the exam yesterday, and I must say that this thread really prepped me for what was on the test ( had been following it for the past 4-6 weeks).

Some of the stuff people said was exaggeration (like the "lists" of lab values that you have to scroll down - lol. The NBME is just trying to make the patho questions more reminiscent of medicine questions by giving basic vitals, and CBC in a lot cases). But otherwise, this thread really gave me a heads-up for what was coming on test day so I would recommend people to go through this thread. And expecting what style of questioning is coming helps you stay calm throughout- review material that was helpful was the standard First Aid, Uworld, Pathoma....

My only suggestion at this point is to make sure you get a good night sleep before the test. Eat good meals the day before, and a good breakfast (no matter how hard that might seem with the anxiety you feel). Meditate and pray the night before/morning of, to relieve your anxiety because you don't need it. The test requires a lot of thinking and my brain was burning through fuel much faster than it usually does. Stay calm and think through the questions. The more basic science oriented questions, had short-medium sized lengths but took time as you had to interpret what they were saying and really think through to the answer. Oh yea and someone on here posted a link to Kaplan's website where they talked about how the step 1 questions are designed and how you should approach them. That was a VERY useful website - so a big thank you to that individual.

Last edited:
Whats the general consensus on embryo? How heavy has it been recently? Don't want to waste time reviewing it to much if it is not stressed too much.

I'd stress specific teratogenic agents and neonatal pathologies. It's still pretty decent yield. I don't think they really ask questions like "what artery is associated with arch 1" these days. They still love neural crest cells though.

Took the exam yesterday, and I must say that this thread really prepped me for what was on the test ( had been following it for the past 4-6 weeks).

Oh yea and someone on here posted a link to Kaplan's website where they talked about how the step 1 questions are designed and how you should approach them. That was a VERY useful website - so a big thank you to that individual.

Congrats! Do you happen to have the link to that website? Thanks!

quick question... did pathoma just come out this year or something? seems like everyone and their mom is using it this year, whereas no one talked about it on the 2011 thread (or maybe i didn't read 2011 thoroughly enough). I've already taken my exam, so this doesn't affect me in any way, but just wondering when it came out. If it actually came out this year I'm super impressed by Dr. Sattar's marketing skills haha

Its probably SDN that did most of the advertising for Dr. Sattar. There are at least 5 different threads with a couple of thousand views.

quick question... did pathoma just come out this year or something? seems like everyone and their mom is using it this year, whereas no one talked about it on the 2011 thread (or maybe i didn't read 2011 thoroughly enough). I've already taken my exam, so this doesn't affect me in any way, but just wondering when it came out. If it actually came out this year I'm super impressed by Dr. Sattar's marketing skills haha

I had never even heard about it until I had already started my prep and came on here. I don't think anybody at my school even knows what it is or that it exists. Obviously I didn't use it. :laugh:

I'd stress specific teratogenic agents and neonatal pathologies. It's still pretty decent yield. I don't think they really ask questions like "what artery is associated with arch 1" these days. They still love neural crest cells though.

i actually had 2 where they asked something like "this dude has (insert disease) with their (insert structure), what did said structure derive from?" - and options A through P where all the different pouches and clefts and arches.

Wow, that's two 262s in one class. Hoesley said 260+ only comes around every other year or so. My grades were a lot like yours the first two years, but my Step 1 ended up being pretty much in line with my class ranking. Apparently, I'm awesome at UWorld practice tests though, so that's a real plus....

i actually had 2 where they asked something like "this dude has (insert disease) with their (insert structure), what did said structure derive from?" - and options A through P where all the different pouches and clefts and arches.

I'm guessing it was probably DiGeorge? But yeah, I should take that back. LEARN EVERYTHING! :eek:

Stats:
UWorld 1st pass, random timed : 72%
School test 2 months out : 210
NBME 13 1 month out : 228
NBME 7 1 week out : 252
really just hoping to get a 240+, I've always been an average student during school, so I can't really hope for much more.

Books:
FA 2011 then glanced through a couple sections of a friend's 2012 after he was done with his test
BRS phys and path (COMPLETE waste of time)- i read it through and annotated my first aid during my first pass. After I got through it once I reevaluated based on Qbank and my first NBME's and decided it wasn't worth my time. I really wish I would've used that time to go through first aid an extra time. I think part of my improvement between my nbme 13 and nbme 7 was that I stopped worrying about brs and hammered FA and uworld hard. The other part is that nbme 7 just suited me better.
Kaplan Pharm videos, Pharmcards(just for review while on the john)
Didn't get through all of Uworld a second time, maybe like 25% of my 800 marked questions.

Test:
I marked like 10-15 questions per block on my first 4 sections, 6 on my 5th, and 8-13 on my last 2. Was really pressed for time on the first 4, I really think it was just nerves and not being totally mentally there for some reason.
I'm not sure how much detail I'm allowed to share so let me know if i need to delete some of this: I definitely saw a few concepts that I recognized from Uworld (the anti-sheep blood antibodies meaning heterophile test helped out on two different questions).
I felt like they went easy on me on the anatomy and embryo (even though one questions had options A through P). It was all stuff like brachial arch/pouch/cleft and brachial/lumbar plexus (besides those i had 1 abdominal anatomy question was tough)
Had at least two questions about concepts that were in FA 2012 and NOT in 2011, got 1 of them wrong. Both had to do with wound healing.
2 heart sounds, 1 9-lead ECG, 1 connected question, all pretty simple stuff.
What worries me is I really got screwed on some of the endo, and made some dumb mistakes with micro. Scabies seemed like a reasonable answer choice a few derm questions and I really don't know anything about it which was uncomfortable.
Only one image that had no clues in the question stem, and I think it was easy. All the other images and slides you could get from the stem.
Pharm wasn't terrible, had three that stick out as being tough, only one of them was about drugs I had never seen before. One about cyp modifiers was disguised and I didn't realize it until later (talked to a friend after and I guess it was explicitly stated in Kaplan's pharmcards).

I would recommend just going through FA and uworld really hard, and if you are using 2011, glance through a the couple sections of 2012 that are added (as well as bone tumors just cause its way easier in 2012). I felt like none of the details I crammed for toward the end were on the test. It really is just more about being able to recognize the way things present. Questions and FA are the only prep you need.

Well ctusfinest, since u've been through this Big test now,u deserve rest nd respite,nd u've got 1 whole month to pray! so just sit back,relax and pray earnestly! all best wishes for u,u'll do reall well!

Nuetron: I would start with Pathoma to lay a foundation for your studying; I cannot say enough about Dr. Sattar and his teaching style. Watch Pathoma 2x and then tackle First Aid followed by uWorld over the next month. This would be my recommendation.[/QUOTE]

that was reall nice of u AngryBird69,infact encouraging to see a response, thanx.:)
i was thinking of starting with some detailed review books since i've to recapitulate my concepts all over,nd after 1 thorough reading i would begin FA.. am planning to go through all step1 kapan-LNs nd for patho,i was thnking to go through goljanRR,or his lectures,what do u ppl suggest, Goljan or Pathoma??? i know m study plans r way too longish:( but i have to rewise my old days knowledge atleast once or twice...i may have to go through my even more basic books like lippincott for biochem!

Hi..I am an IMG and really new to this forum.I have heard and learnt a lot from this forum specially the NBME discussion part before my step 1 but actually didnot have the courage to join it seeing it is an AMG dominated forum and the high scores that was posted here and me felt completely out of sorts reading them but was often fascinated by the sheer amount of talent people have in this forum.
I actually gave my Usmle step 1 on 11th april,2012 during my 3rd year med school in a 6 year setup and got very low grades 213/80.was really depressed for 2 months,didnot come out in the open for days and felt like a looser..my last NBME 13 also predicted 228 but on the day of the exam i goofed up and ended up doing badly.I have always wanted to get IM residency or PM residency and wanted to do fellowship in either paediatric oncology or hematooncology.I am really in dire straits now and in real need of your help bcoz sitting thousands of miles away i dont even know whether i can even get a residency in USA bcoz i need j1 visa too.i would remain grateful to you if please please anybody guide me whether i should continue my dream of IM or PM residency with this low a score and what i really need to do to better my CV.I know its an uphill task from here on,but am hopeful with your guidance i will at least get to know the bumpy road ahead.Thanking you from the bottom of my heart for even reading this lengthy post

well ijn nd dockerdoc nd all those who have taken the exam and now bearing the waiting period,prayers for u all, and do rmmbr dear doctcrs, u hav lots of time to pray and prayers do matter! hope u all get rocking results!

For those of you who've done the free 150 practice questions how did you guys score on them compared to your qbanks and other assessments? I did it yesterday and take the beast on the 30th. I scored a 94% overall on the free tutorial. Am I good to go?