2012-2013 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 word limit)

JMP Program Only

1) Please describe the basis for your interest in and your preparations for the MS with research thesis. Given
the opportunity to pursue such a degree, what topics, questions or areas of research might you be interested in
addressing? (limit 500 words)

(2) Please describe the basis for your interest and experience with small group, case-based problem oriented
learning. (limit 500 words)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably won't make it, but here's hoping. :p

I heard there wasn't a secondary essay prompt?
Does anyone know of the PRIME prompt?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF I would like you to show me some love. Thanks! :love::love::love:

Anyone received a secondary yet?

Every time I see this thread bump, my heart skips a beat since it makes me think that secondaries are out and that I haven't gotten one! :(

Please send me a secondary, UCSF!

This year's essay prompt is:

If you wish to update or expand upon your activities, you may provide additional information below. (500 word limit)

That's it - Good luck!

Got the secondary! Hooray! I hope UCSF loves me back.... <3

Congrats! Do you mind mentioning your GPA and MCAT? I just am trying to see if there is a cutoff score for the secondaries.

The real secondary or just the notice that your verified. And if you got the real one, did you get it via e-mail or did you have to check your status?

Just got mine as well! I had an email saying my status was updated, made an account and the secondary is on the page when you log in.

Good luck everyone! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Do you mind mentioning your GPA and MCAT? I just am trying to see if there is a cutoff score for the secondaries.

3.89 cGPA including a 16 year old F, 4.0 sGPA, 39Q

The real secondary or just the notice that your verified. And if you got the real one, did you get it via e-mail or did you have to check your status?

I got an email titled "UCSF School of Medicine Status Update," then logged into the website and saw the secondary invitation.

3.89 cGPA including a 16 year old F, 4.0 sGPA, 39Q

I got an email titled "UCSF School of Medicine Status Update," then logged into the website and saw the secondary invitation.

3.8c/3.9s, 36M

Congrats, everyone!

One more question, for the people who have received secondaries, when did you submit the primary/get verified by AMCAS?

I was verified by 6/16 so my primary was transmitted on the first day possible (6/29). Was a little bit nervous about getting the secondary since I'm OOS. Glad I'm still in the running, for now at least!

here's what I got after I created an account:

"Thank you for applying to the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine. We have received your AMCAS application.
Our Admissions Committee will carefully review your application. We expect you will hear from the committee any time between now and about twelve weeks from now. Invitations to submit a secondary application will be sent after this review is completed. No additional information is needed at this time, and in fact, additional information cannot be added to your file during this review.
You will be notified of updates to your application via this status site. Please check back regularly and feel free to explore the UCSF website in more detail."

im hoping...

here's what I got after I created an account:

"Thank you for applying to the University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine. We have received your AMCAS application.
Our Admissions Committee will carefully review your application. We expect you will hear from the committee any time between now and about twelve weeks from now. Invitations to submit a secondary application will be sent after this review is completed. No additional information is needed at this time, and in fact, additional information cannot be added to your file during this review.
You will be notified of updates to your application via this status site. Please check back regularly and feel free to explore the UCSF website in more detail."

im hoping...

You can't create an account before getting emailed, right?

You can't create an account before getting emailed, right?

That's how it was for me, yes.

I wonder if anyone knew much abut the PRIME program and how selection for it works?

I'm scared to even ask this, and it's possible that no one really knows this...I submitted on 6/5 and was verified on 6/6, so if I haven't received the email from UCSF yet, does that probably mean I'm not getting one (as in rejection)...?

Also does everyone get that email, or just the ppl who get secondaries?

I'm scared to even ask this, and it's possible that no one really knows this...I submitted on 6/5 and was verified on 6/6, so if I haven't received the email from UCSF yet, does that probably mean I'm not getting one (as in rejection)...?

Also does everyone get that email, or just the ppl who get secondaries?

I think everyone gets that initial email if their application is complete. And no, I wouldn't think so - you don't know what order they're looking through applications in since they can sort differently i.e. by MCAT or GPA and you don't know if they go through applications multiple times... wayyy to early to lose hope in my opinion. Don't worry too much about it!

I think everyone gets that initial email if their application is complete. And no, I wouldn't think so - you don't know what order they're looking through applications in since they can sort differently i.e. by MCAT or GPA and you don't know if they go through applications multiple times... wayyy to early to lose hope in my opinion. Don't worry too much about it!

Thanks! :) I'm trying hard not to lose hope.

For the application to be complete, should they have received our LORs too? I know their admissions website states that they don't want LORs unless they send secondary invites...so am I right to guess that the people here who have received secondaries did not assign any letters to UCSF yet?

Thanks! :) I'm trying hard not to lose hope.

For the application to be complete, should they have received our LORs too? I know their admissions website states that they don't want LORs unless they send secondary invites...so am I right to guess that the people here who have received secondaries did not assign any letters to UCSF yet?

You're right - I just assigned my LORs today

No word on app received or secondary, anyone else the same? was verified before the 29th...

and crap. I assigned my LOR packet to every school, including SF, and their site says letters will be discarded if they are received prior to secondary invite! has anyone else done the same before and had no problem?

No word on app received or secondary, anyone else the same? was verified before the 29th...

and crap. I assigned my LOR packet to every school, including SF, and their site says letters will be discarded if they are received prior to secondary invite! has anyone else done the same before and had no problem?

I also haven't received any word on the app received or secondary, and I was verified on 6/6.

I don't know about the letter situation though. We can only hope that current UCSF students come to answer our questions! (If they don't, maybe you could try calling or emailing the school?)

Last year I sent it with the primary and got a secondary, no interview though. Made the same mistake two years in a row I guess..

I did the same thing and haven't received a secondary either...I hope it doesn't mean they delay/discard our application for that reason...

*edit: just saw your post clichebomb. Maybe it doesn't matter after all!

Did anyone else apply to JMP? It implies there is an additional section for JMP applicants but nothing appears when I select JMP. When I select PRIME-US extra questions appear but not for JMP. Am I missing something?

I did the same thing and haven't received a secondary either...I hope it doesn't mean they delay/discard our application for that reason...

*edit: just saw your post clichebomb. Maybe it doesn't matter after all!
I did the same as well, but I received a secondary, so you are fine. I think they screen heavily based on the primary. I was expecting a pre-secondary rejection.

I did the same as well, but I received a secondary, so you are fine. I think they screen heavily based on the primary. I was expecting a pre-secondary rejection.

My question is though, if they've discarded your letters prior to getting your secondary, how will they LOOK at them once you get your secondary in? Can you even re-submit letters through amcas?

Did anyone else apply to JMP? It implies there is an additional section for JMP applicants but nothing appears when I select JMP. When I select PRIME-US extra questions appear but not for JMP. Am I missing something?
Same thing here. Not sure what's up with that; maybe we'll get something else later?

My question is though, if they've discarded your letters prior to getting your secondary, how will they LOOK at them once you get your secondary in? Can you even re-submit letters through amcas?
I think that when you assign letters to a school through amcas, amcas makes them available to the institution along with your secondary. Some schools require your letters to be sent directly to them, so I think UCSF is indicating that if you attempt such antics before they want your letters, they will discard them.

Same thing here. Not sure what's up with that; maybe we'll get something else later?

So I sent them an email and they said it was a problem on their side. They said they were working to fix it and would email me when they got it fixed. I already submitted my supplemental so I am not sure if I am going to be able to resubmit it or something but as soon as they email me I'll let you know.

So I sent them an email and they said it was a problem on their side. They said they were working to fix it and would email me when they got it fixed. I already submitted my supplemental so I am not sure if I am going to be able to resubmit it or something but as soon as they email me I'll let you know.

Great! I submitted already too. Thanks in advance for the info. :)

They fixed the JMP problem. I am able to log back in and complete the secondary again this time with the JMP questions and without the payment box(since I paid last time). Looks like it is working perfectly!

They fixed the JMP problem. I am able to log back in and complete the secondary again this time with the JMP questions and without the payment box(since I paid last time). Looks like it is working perfectly!

Cool. I can't access the secondary again, but it's allowing me to print the (blank) JMP application so I can see the questions. I'll contact them. Maybe they have to push the "reset" button manually.

While I have them handy, here they are (JMP only):

(1) Please describe the basis for your interest in and your preparations for the MS with research thesis. Given
the opportunity to pursue such a degree, what topics, questions or areas of research might you be interested in
addressing? (limit 500 words)
(2) Please describe the basis for your interest and experience with small group, case-based problem oriented
learning. (limit 500 words)

Last edited:
My AMCAS was verified 6/13, but UCSF has not sent me an initial contact email. Is anyone else in the same boat or should I email them to make sure they have my AMCAS application?

My AMCAS was verified 6/7. Never got the initial contact email. Perhaps they're going through them in batches?

My AMCAS was verified 6/7. Never got the initial contact email. Perhaps they're going through them in batches?
I have also not received it, and I was submitted on the first day possible. I think it takes some time and like someone else said, they might get to the most competitive people first.

Wow this makes me super anxious lol. Send me some love, UCSF! <3

I think that when you assign letters to a school through amcas, amcas makes them available to the institution along with your secondary. Some schools require your letters to be sent directly to them, so I think UCSF is indicating that if you attempt such antics before they want your letters, they will discard them.

I just called UCSF admissions and confirmed this. They have to manually download letters from AMCAS, so it doesn't matter at all if you sent them early. It's only an issue if you're not using the AMCAS letter service.

I also mistakenly assigned them a sixth letter (they say 3-5), and they were really nice about it and said it's fine.

I received the initial contact email today and then created an account, but when I try to log-in and check my status it tells me there's a server error.

Anyone else have this issue?

I received the initial contact email today and then created an account, but when I try to log-in and check my status it tells me there's a server error.

Anyone else have this issue?

Could you mention the time when you received that email? I haven't received anything yet. I'm just trying to see if they are having these emails sent at the same time every day. One year, for example, they submitted all emails/secondaries at 9:30 PM.

Could you mention the time when you received that email? I haven't received anything yet. I'm just trying to see if they are having these emails sent at the same time every day. One year, for example, they submitted all emails/secondaries at 9:30 PM.

It was at 4:45pm today, hope that helps!

no secondary :(:(:(:(:(:(

Were you actually rejected or simply lamenting over no notice yet? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.