Chances of getting into U.S. M.D. school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gizzo315

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started at a small college. Did horribly. Decided to transfer to a bigger university in my home town at the start of my junior year. I have an upward trend of starting from 2.471->3.091->3.341->3.469 from my old college and a 3.667>3.854 this past semester. I plan to continue working on my GPA and apply at the end of senior year.

I'm Asian American and from an economically disadvantaged background.

I've worked as a radiation safety technician in the hospital working with radiation therapy patients during the summer in between transferring.

During the same summer, I was an integral part in putting together an awareness benefit on the issues of AIDS/HIV, domestic violence, suicide, and child abuse.

I have been employed at the physicians office doing paperwork for over 1 year now and counting (GI clinic). I have shadowed doctors during my radiation internship and at my job (Radioactive Iodine therapy, GI Procedures such as Colonoscopies, Upper G.I., [Very interesting for me since I do not have any medical related background] and General OV's).

I am a research assistant in a graduate student's research project looking at the role of central adiposity, alcohol, and caffeine intake on cardiovascular health in males.

Currently, I am at the start of my Fall semester of my Senior year. I plan to take the MCAT late January. I am also taking the Kaplan prep course.

What score do you believe I would need to obtain on the MCAT?

What else would i have to do to be a more competitive applicant?

What are my chances of getting accepted to an MD school?

Members don't see this ad.

So what's your current GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Averaging them all in my college career, my current overall GPA is 3.3

I used the Excel Program to Calculate my Current GPA and BCPM GPA.

Current = 3.34186
BCPM = 3.18913

I do not know if I can or have to incorporate summer courses…

I used the Excel Program to Calculate my Current GPA and BCPM GPA.

Current = 3.34186
BCPM = 3.18913

I do not know if I can or have to incorporate summer courses…

Yeah. Just incorporate them for the year you took them. For example, if I took courses in the summer succeeding my freshman year, I would put them in my sophomore year slot.

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

After incorporating my summer courses the way described:

Current: 3.39798
BCPM: 3.28036

Do you plan on taking the MCAT this year?

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

I plan to take the MCAT's late January, so about 4-5 months from now.

Being asian, you are a ORM. Just keep goint with your EC's, they are looking decent. Nothing really standing out.

With your GPA, aim for a 33+ on MCAT.

I realized how immature of me to ask "what should I get on the MCAT?". I'll just aim for a 45 and see where that takes me.

The upward trend is very encouraging, but the GPAs are still pretty low. I think your best chances will be witht he very bottom tier collges (NYMC and Rosy Franklin, for example), but you will need to ace the mCAT (think 30 witgh 10/10/10) minimum.

Depending upon where you live, you might have some luck with your state school.