Official 2013 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure now is a good time to jump-start this thread.

Even though some of us who had taken the exam in late-2012 are still awaiting our scores (amid the holiday delays) and could technically still post within last year's thread, it is after all mid-January now, so it's probably apposite that we move forward and hope for a great year.

:luck: Cheers to 2013 :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

So here is my Step 1 experience. For the test specifically, I don't remember too many specifics other than a few questions asking about cutaneous innervation for certain areas. But each exam is different so I don't think there's use in saying what specific topics to focus on. Nothing really stood out to me as being more heavily emphasized.
Resources
It is really hard to say what 1 resource was most useful for me. I could probably narrow it to the 2 most important being gunnertraining (now Firecracker) and UW. A distant 3rd were the NBME practice tests. I owned a copy of first aid but didn't like it much. I never went through the whole book. I went through the entire cardiology, nephrology, heme/onc chapters along with my classes. I pretty much stopped using it after that. It just didn't help me much.
Firecracker has everything in first aid and more, is more accurate, and is much easier to use. I could fall asleep after trying to read for a few minutes from first aid. Firecracker is more interactive, so I can do a bunch of questions at a time and stay awake and focused. If I went on vacation and didn't do my daily review for a week and had a bunch of questions pile up, I could spend 5 hours in a day doing questions. So a big plus for firecracker is that it is interactive, holds my attention, and quizzes me on the things I need most, the whole point of spaced training and adaptive technology. I started firecracker at the very beginning of first year and used very consistently throughout all my classes. I go to a pass/fail school where lectures are mostly optional attendance. I actually used firecracker as my primary resource for my classes, in place of lectures, lecture notes, textbooks, review books etc…. I consistently got above average on my class tests and well above average on nationalized shelf exams. So I give an A+ to firecracker. Seriously a very, very good resource especially when started early.
I don't feel much need to talk about UW, since I think that pretty much everyone agrees that it's solid. For sure use it. The UW self-assessments are also very nice. I had Rx but didn't like it too much. I tried it after I already had a lot of exposure to UW, so maybe that's why. It simply isn't as good of a question bank.
I used pathoma during most of second year and liked it. It's hard for me to quantify how helpful it was. He's a great teacher and does well with explaining concepts. But I felt that he didn't cover a lot of details that are still important to know. So use this resource to increase understanding. I didn't use it during dedicated study.
Ranking of resources, with the first two being way ahead of the rest:
1. Firecracker
1. UW
3. NBMEs
4. Pathoma
Second Year
During second year I started using UW along with classes. Most people say to save it for dedicated study. But it's a great study tool and so I used it as such. I would do question blocks by subject, whichever subject we were covering in classes, on tutor non-timed mode. I would read the entire answer explanation and make sure I understood it. I didn't focus excessively on memorizing details. I felt like firecracker was more than enough for memorization. I don't remember what I started at, but my percentage for this first pass with classes was 78%. I got through the whole question bank, except for around 30 hepatic questions, I think. I finished the first pass about a month before classes got over and before I started my dedicated study time. I had a spreadsheet on google drive where I recorded all my incorrects. I had a sheet for each subject, and would write down the concept being tested, why I got it wrong, and how to correctly apply that concept in the future. My initial plan in doing this was to review these on a regular basis. I didn't have the time or motivation to do so. Even so, just writing down in my own words the concepts and my mistakes helped reinforce the material.
I continued to use firecracker heavily. One thing I forgot to mention previously is that I actually banked a bunch of second year material during first year. When learning about the CV system in physiology, I would bank as much heart pathology and pharm as I could understand with my knowledge of physiology. This made second year that much easier. It also made my question load for firecracker decrease, since by the time second year rolled around I had a mastery of most of the material, and I was seeing most questions once every 60-90 days. The concept behind firecracker is seriously very simple and very powerful. Once you learn something, review it at the appropriate interval so you don't forget it. During second year I never had to review physiology, anatomy, histo or anything else like that because I was reviewing it continuously with firecracker. Once dedicated study came, I didn't have to re-learn anything because I was seeing the material on a regular basis.
Dedicated Study
I had about 6 weeks for dedicated study. It ended up actually being more like 4-5 because I got sick twice during it this time and had some other things happen that took a lot of time. My days were not as consistent as I would have hoped, but I would say on average I studied 6-8 hours a day, Monday-Saturday. I took Sundays off. I think this is a very good thing to do. I never once felt burned out during my study.
Once dedicated study time started, I reset my UW account and started it over again. I started out doing 2-3 blocks a day, always random and timed. I would go over my incorrects, but I didn't spend too much time doing so. I would find what I missed and focused on that. If I got a question right without guessing, I didn't spend any time on it. I used the same strategy as before, making a spreadsheet with my incorrects and recording the concept being tested and why I got it wrong. I went over this spreadsheet a few times, especially in the few days leading up to the test.
I did my first NBME at the very beginning of dedicated study to get a feel for where I was at. I would then do at least one NBME or UWSA a week, often 2.
During the last 2 weeks I focused a lot on endurance. I didn't feel like I would learn a whole lot more. I already had a good foundation and felt like I knew the things I needed to. Any extra points would likely have been from memorizing very low yield stuff. On many days I would do a practice test, then right after it 3 UW blocks to simulate a 7 block test. 3 days before the test I did 7 UW blocks in 5 hours, again just working on endurance. Obviously it was mentally tiring to do so, but I made a conscious effort to stay focused and think through each question. I think this ended up helping a lot since on test day I never felt fatigued. Test day was pretty easy compared to some of the days leading up to it.
Test Day
Nothing much to say here. My first 2 blocks were much harder for me. I think this was mostly because I was more anxious. Blocks 3-7 were pretty easy, and I don't remember ever feeling anxious or concerned at all. I finished the first 2 blocks with about 5 minutes to spare, and the rest with 10-20 minutes to spare. On about half of the blocks I had enough time to review all my marked questions (and I marked generously) as well as review most questions a second time just starting from the beginning of the block. This was good, because I remember coming across a handful of questions that I ended up changing. Some that I reviewed and changed the answer to I simply misread the question the first time. So if you have time, I would say it's worth it to check answers all the way until you run out of time.
I felt like my break time was more than enough. I didn't take much break time during practice tests.
Test Score Progression
UW first pass during classes: 78%
UW second pass during dedicated study: 89%
Rx (about 30% of it): 84%
2/28, NBME 5: 245
3/11, NBME 6: 247
3/14, NBME 7: 254
3/21, NBME 11: 252
3/25, NBME 12: 261
3/30, UWSA1: 265
4/1, NBME 13: 261
4/3, UWSA2: 265
4/5, NBME 15: 261
4/9, free 150: 94% (I think)
4/11, Step 1: 266

Advice in a few (relatively) words
Firecracker is awesome. Give it a try. If you like it after a month, stick with it. You'll be amazed at how much you know and remember. UW is solid. Do practice NBMEs. One thing I learned from doing these was that I thought too hard. Honestly, close to half of the questions I got wrong on NBMEs I had the right answer, but then thought excessively and found some roundabout way to justify another answer (I was thinking about them like I would about a UW question). If you're tired or burned out then take a break. I made sleep a priority during dedicated study time, and was getting around 9-9.5 hours a night. It made my study time much more manageable. I never felt stressed during study time or during the test itself, except for those first 2 blocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My exam experience above is not meant to scare ppl away. I just wanted to share what I saw yesterday for those that may want to incorporate other resources into their prep. I found FA most useful for Path

- Cardio, GI, Neuro, GU & Heme are all well represented however when I say in MY exam had approximately 40% of FA means - the 60% questions did have concepts from FA however not enough knowledge & emphasis to answer the question asked. If this makes sense.......

Here is an example: a question started with pt's age (FA's pt demographic, most common, least common) & info & lead to the pathology of the condition (FA's general & system path concept) & then asked explain the markers or experimental medication's molecular changes affecting the disease process....(FA NOT enough to answer this question)----------> you could zone down to 2 or 3 best answers with the knowledge of path & known markers for the specific disease however one had to know the exact mechanism of what was asked!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any tips for getting through uworld qbank sets faster? Ive worked it out so that i need to do two per day, but its taking me an average of 6hrs to review one block. 12hrs /day (plus two hours to answer the questions) isnt feasible considering I need to get through my other sources.

Are those of you who are working through it faster just skipping the wrong answer explanations or what? I find all the info to be pretty valuable so im having a hard time not reading everything.

For the record, this is my first time going through it.

BBaggins when you say there were questions about cutaneous innervation were the choices actual nerves or just dermatomes

It was the actual nerves. I didn't have anything that asked about dermatomes. That was surprising to me since I don't think I've ever seen specific nerves be a focus. I don't know for sure, but I think I got those two wrong. And they were both questions where I had the right answer, but then changed it after thinking too much about it.

Any tips for getting through uworld qbank sets faster? Ive worked it out so that i need to do two per day, but its taking me an average of 6hrs to review one block. 12hrs /day (plus two hours to answer the questions) isnt feasible considering I need to get through my other sources.

Are those of you who are working through it faster just skipping the wrong answer explanations or what? I find all the info to be pretty valuable so im having a hard time not reading everything.

For the record, this is my first time going through it.

How far along are you in UW? You get faster as you go through because the really high yield stuff gets tested multiple times, so you won't have to review it as deeply the 2nd (3rd, 4th) time. I found that there was good stuff written in the "why this was wrong" sections, so ideally you wouldn't skip it. What's your actual process as you read an explanation for a question?

The Qbank or Jonari failed to say occulta? If the question stem says spina bifida occulta then I think it's a legit question, otherwise I agree, bad question.

The Qbank failed to specify

Just got my score. 266. Woohoo!!!!!! I'm super excited. I've posted a few things earlier on this thread so you can see what I did to study. Main things I used were gunnertraining, UW, and practice NBMEs. I'm pretty busy right now but I'll give more detail on my study and score progression later, hopefully today.

Congrats! Wasn't expecting much less ;)

From you either for that matter :luck:

So here is my Step 1 experience. For the test specifically, I don’t remember too many specifics other than a few questions asking about cutaneous innervation for certain areas. But each exam is different so I don’t think there’s use in saying what specific topics to focus on. Nothing really stood out to me as being more heavily emphasized.
Resources
It is really hard to say what 1 resource was most useful for me. I could probably narrow it to the 2 most important being gunnertraining (now Firecracker) and UW. A distant 3rd were the NBME practice tests. I owned a copy of first aid but didn’t like it much. I never went through the whole book. I went through the entire cardiology, nephrology, heme/onc chapters along with my classes. I pretty much stopped using it after that. It just didn’t help me much.
Firecracker has everything in first aid and more, is more accurate, and is much easier to use. I could fall asleep after trying to read for a few minutes from first aid. Firecracker is more interactive, so I can do a bunch of questions at a time and stay awake and focused. If I went on vacation and didn’t do my daily review for a week and had a bunch of questions pile up, I could spend 5 hours in a day doing questions. So a big plus for firecracker is that it is interactive, holds my attention, and quizzes me on the things I need most, the whole point of spaced training and adaptive technology. I started firecracker at the very beginning of first year and used very consistently throughout all my classes. I go to a pass/fail school where lectures are mostly optional attendance. I actually used firecracker as my primary resource for my classes, in place of lectures, lecture notes, textbooks, review books etc…. I consistently got above average on my class tests and well above average on nationalized shelf exams. So I give an A+ to firecracker. Seriously a very, very good resource especially when started early.
I don’t feel much need to talk about UW, since I think that pretty much everyone agrees that it’s solid. For sure use it. The UW self-assessments are also very nice. I had Rx but didn’t like it too much. I tried it after I already had a lot of exposure to UW, so maybe that’s why. It simply isn’t as good of a question bank.
I used pathoma during most of second year and liked it. It’s hard for me to quantify how helpful it was. He’s a great teacher and does well with explaining concepts. But I felt that he didn’t cover a lot of details that are still important to know. So use this resource to increase understanding. I didn’t use it during dedicated study.
Ranking of resources, with the first two being way ahead of the rest:
1. Firecracker
1. UW
3. NBMEs
4. Pathoma
Second Year
During second year I started using UW along with classes. Most people say to save it for dedicated study. But it’s a great study tool and so I used it as such. I would do question blocks by subject, whichever subject we were covering in classes, on tutor non-timed mode. I would read the entire answer explanation and make sure I understood it. I didn’t focus excessively on memorizing details. I felt like firecracker was more than enough for memorization. I don’t remember what I started at, but my percentage for this first pass with classes was 78%. I got through the whole question bank, except for around 30 hepatic questions, I think. I finished the first pass about a month before classes got over and before I started my dedicated study time. I had a spreadsheet on google drive where I recorded all my incorrects. I had a sheet for each subject, and would write down the concept being tested, why I got it wrong, and how to correctly apply that concept in the future. My initial plan in doing this was to review these on a regular basis. I didn’t have the time or motivation to do so. Even so, just writing down in my own words the concepts and my mistakes helped reinforce the material.
I continued to use firecracker heavily. One thing I forgot to mention previously is that I actually banked a bunch of second year material during first year. When learning about the CV system in physiology, I would bank as much heart pathology and pharm as I could understand with my knowledge of physiology. This made second year that much easier. It also made my question load for firecracker decrease, since by the time second year rolled around I had a mastery of most of the material, and I was seeing most questions once every 60-90 days. The concept behind firecracker is seriously very simple and very powerful. Once you learn something, review it at the appropriate interval so you don’t forget it. During second year I never had to review physiology, anatomy, histo or anything else like that because I was reviewing it continuously with firecracker. Once dedicated study came, I didn’t have to re-learn anything because I was seeing the material on a regular basis.
Dedicated Study
I had about 6 weeks for dedicated study. It ended up actually being more like 4-5 because I got sick twice during it this time and had some other things happen that took a lot of time. My days were not as consistent as I would have hoped, but I would say on average I studied 6-8 hours a day, Monday-Saturday. I took Sundays off. I think this is a very good thing to do. I never once felt burned out during my study.
Once dedicated study time started, I reset my UW account and started it over again. I started out doing 2-3 blocks a day, always random and timed. I would go over my incorrects, but I didn’t spend too much time doing so. I would find what I missed and focused on that. If I got a question right without guessing, I didn’t spend any time on it. I used the same strategy as before, making a spreadsheet with my incorrects and recording the concept being tested and why I got it wrong. I went over this spreadsheet a few times, especially in the few days leading up to the test.
I did my first NBME at the very beginning of dedicated study to get a feel for where I was at. I would then do at least one NBME or UWSA a week, often 2.
During the last 2 weeks I focused a lot on endurance. I didn’t feel like I would learn a whole lot more. I already had a good foundation and felt like I knew the things I needed to. Any extra points would likely have been from memorizing very low yield stuff. On many days I would do a practice test, then right after it 3 UW blocks to simulate a 7 block test. 3 days before the test I did 7 UW blocks in 5 hours, again just working on endurance. Obviously it was mentally tiring to do so, but I made a conscious effort to stay focused and think through each question. I think this ended up helping a lot since on test day I never felt fatigued. Test day was pretty easy compared to some of the days leading up to it.
Test Day
Nothing much to say here. My first 2 blocks were much harder for me. I think this was mostly because I was more anxious. Blocks 3-7 were pretty easy, and I don’t remember ever feeling anxious or concerned at all. I finished the first 2 blocks with about 5 minutes to spare, and the rest with 10-20 minutes to spare. On about half of the blocks I had enough time to review all my marked questions (and I marked generously) as well as review most questions a second time just starting from the beginning of the block. This was good, because I remember coming across a handful of questions that I ended up changing. Some that I reviewed and changed the answer to I simply misread the question the first time. So if you have time, I would say it’s worth it to check answers all the way until you run out of time.
I felt like my break time was more than enough. I didn’t take much break time during practice tests.
Test Score Progression
UW first pass during classes: 78%
UW second pass during dedicated study: 89%
Rx (about 30% of it): 84%
2/28, NBME 5: 245
3/11, NBME 6: 247
3/14, NBME 7: 254
3/21, NBME 11: 252
3/25, NBME 12: 261
3/30, UWSA1: 265
4/1, NBME 13: 261
4/3, UWSA2: 265
4/5, NBME 15: 261
4/9, free 150: 94% (I think)
4/11, Step 1: 266

Advice in a few (relatively) words
Firecracker is awesome. Give it a try. If you like it after a month, stick with it. You’ll be amazed at how much you know and remember. UW is solid. Do practice NBMEs. One thing I learned from doing these was that I thought too hard. Honestly, close to half of the questions I got wrong on NBMEs I had the right answer, but then thought excessively and found some roundabout way to justify another answer (I was thinking about them like I would about a UW question). If you’re tired or burned out then take a break. I made sleep a priority during dedicated study time, and was getting around 9-9.5 hours a night. It made my study time much more manageable. I never felt stressed during study time or during the test itself, except for those first 2 blocks.

Nice job.

I tried GT but quit because my school's exams didn't use similar info. It really depends how much researchers and minutia your school likes. I remember reading you had like 90% banked during M1 or something crazy like that, so I figured you'd kill it. Glad it worked for you!

How far along are you in UW? You get faster as you go through because the really high yield stuff gets tested multiple times, so you won't have to review it as deeply the 2nd (3rd, 4th) time. I found that there was good stuff written in the "why this was wrong" sections, so ideally you wouldn't skip it. What's your actual process as you read an explanation for a question?

I'm only about 200 questions in. I have been reading the explanations to every question regardless of if I got it right or wrong (half the questions I get right I'm only vaguely sure why I got it right so I feel like this is necessary). If something stands out to me as particularly interesting, high yield, helpful, or unlikely to be in FA, I write a note about it in a running Word doc.

I'm hoping it speeds up or Ill have to start skimming more.

I'm only about 200 questions in. I have been reading the explanations to every question regardless of if I got it right or wrong (half the questions I get right I'm only vaguely sure why I got it right so I feel like this is necessary). If something stands out to me as particularly interesting, high yield, helpful, or unlikely to be in FA, I write a note about it in a running Word doc.

I'm hoping it speeds up or Ill have to start skimming more.

That sounds about right in terms of how I approached UWorld. However, I'd actually flip around FA before writing anything down, because it'd be a shame to write down a ton of stuff that's already in the book. Also, I would probably narrow my criteria for what's "interesting" or "high yield." 6 hours for 46 questions means you're spending around 8 minutes on each question. The words themselves can be read in about a minute (give or take), so try to make sure you're not just writing down ever other sentence because it sounds like it's high yield.

What's the qbank? My guess was E as well

Are you sure the answer choice didnt say spina bifida occulta? if thats the case, then afp would not be elevated since there is no exposure of the spinal cord with amniotic fluid. In any case the type of spina bifida should always be specified (occulta, meningocele, myelomeningocele). AFP would be elevated in the latter two.

The Qbank or Jonari failed to say occulta? If the question stem says spina bifida occulta then I think it's a legit question, otherwise I agree, bad question.

here's the question...doesn't ever occulta at the end. i hope these type of tricky questions don't show up on the step...

JB96OsY.png

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think webpath is a bad resource for class, I just think it's excessive for step to the point where it's so low on the priority list that it probably isn't worthwhile except for the Phlostons that have actually made it down the list of good resources that far. Obviously just my opinion though, I won't be offended if you continue to do webpath :p

I did the webpath questions while studying for path during the year. They are good, but I wouldnt start doing these questions a month before my exam... I got a bunch of questions to do from other more primary resources to cover before I could get to these questions if i was doing them for the first time. however if you got time, by all means, the more questions the better and I think webpath is a reputable source.

by the way, shouldnt have changed that cute pic of rashida.

Is this a mistake...Kaplan talks about how there is no solid proof about Glucagon stimulating HSL...what am I doing wrong here...this is something I shouldn't have gotten wrong...:mad:

XCky3xm.png

SnRwdSn.jpg

Because you clicked the wrong answer? The one you didn't click is pretty much word for word what your kaplan notes say

Quick question. Do UWSA exams have explanations like Uworld itself? Debating whether to do one tomorrow but only going to do it if I can actively study it afterwards

Is this a mistake...Kaplan talks about how there is no solid proof about Glucagon stimulating HSL...what am I doing wrong here...this is something I shouldn't have gotten wrong...:mad:

XCky3xm.png

First you got to remember that glucagon is not an anabolic hormone, and it will not stimulate the synthesis of fat in adipose tissue. Second, gluconeogenesis only takes place in the liver and kidney. Now this is coming from my voet biochem textbook
"Glucagon, epinephrine and NE, which are released in times of metabolic need, increase adipose tissue cAMP concentrations. cAMP allosterically activates protein kinase A, which in turn phosphorylates certain enzymes. Phosphorylation activates HSL, thereby stimulating lipolysis in adipose tissue, raising blood fatty acid levels, and ultimately activating the beta oxidation pathway in other tissues such as liver and muscle... PKA also inactivates acetyl coA carboxylase, so cAMP dependent phosphorylation simultaneously stimulates fatty acid oxidation and inhibits fatty acid synthesis".
Insulin decreases cAMP levels which leads to the dephosphorylation and thus inactivation of HSL.

First you got to remember that glucagon is not an anabolic hormone, and it will not stimulate the synthesis of fat in adipose tissue. Second, gluconeogenesis only takes place in the liver and kidney. Now this is coming from my voet biochem textbook
"Glucagon, epinephrine and NE, which are released in times of metabolic need, increase adipose tissue cAMP concentrations. cAMP allosterically activates protein kinase A, which in turn phosphorylates certain enzymes. Phosphorylation activates HSL, thereby stimulating lipolysis in adipose tissue, raising blood fatty acid levels, and ultimately activating the beta oxidation pathway in other tissues such as liver and muscle... PKA also inactivates acetyl coA carboxylase, so cAMP dependent phosphorylation simultaneously stimulates fatty acid oxidation and inhibits fatty acid synthesis".
Insulin decreases cAMP levels which leads to the dephosphorylation and thus inactivation of HSL.

:thumbup:

@ Jonari, but it's more of a fact that gluconeogenesis doesn't happen in adipocytes.. so process of elimination?

by adipocytes...not in...:)

Because you clicked the wrong answer? The one you didn't click is pretty much word for word what your kaplan notes say

fff42edcbf301998b19edb45b38e024be37bf7b6_full.jpg

i picked A...exactly what my kaplan book says

Quick question. Do UWSA exams have explanations like Uworld itself? Debating whether to do one tomorrow but only going to do it if I can actively study it afterwards

yup, it's just like taking a random UW block...gives you the explanation and percentage of people who chose which answers...and it then gives you a breakdown at the end of your strengths and weaknesses...

by adipocytes...not in...:)

fff42edcbf301998b19edb45b38e024be37bf7b6_full.jpg

i picked A...exactly what my kaplan book says

yup, it's just like taking a random UW block...gives you the explanation and percentage of people who chose which answers...and it then gives you a breakdown at the end of your strengths and weaknesses...

Your Kaplan book says "C". You over thought the question and extrapolated "A"...I know because I over think crap like this all the time. Read from the Comma to the end of that line

And thanks about the UWSA, ty too Goober

Anyone know the consensus on NBME 15? Is it one of the "harder" ones? I want to take one to practice timing but my exam is coming up ... don't wanna demoralize myself

Many have said 12 is the demoralizer and I am personally saving 15 till closer to my test since it is the newest. I am sure 11, 13 or even 7 could be viable options for you too.

Many have said 12 is the demoralizer and I am personally saving 15 till closer to my test since it is the newest. I am sure 11, 13 or even 7 could be viable options for you too.

i thought 7 was brutal...11 wasn't bad...pretty straight forward...it was basically a detailed kinda exam...

going to take 12 next Wednesday

i thought 7 was brutal...11 wasn't bad...pretty straight forward...it was basically a detailed kinda exam...

going to take 12 next Wednesday

Dang, taking 7 in a couple days to assess my weak areas before dedicated... Anyways, you should bring Rashida back this is getting ridiculous.

Dang, taking 7 in a couple days to assess my weak areas before dedicated... Anyways, you should bring Rashida back this is getting ridiculous.

id probably take 7 at the very end, to be honest with you...well 2nd to end...followed by 15

av updated

Any other one take the NMBE basic sciences exam given by their school? Is there a scoring guide that equates it to step scores? How good of a test is it?

my school offered the NBME's CBSE. It has a score predictor. It's not the same test every time because it pulls questions from a larger bank of CBSE questions.

Any other one take the NMBE basic sciences exam given by their school? Is there a scoring guide that equates it to step scores? How good of a test is it?

I took it. My school keeps records on our score for that and our score on step. We take it in March (before we finish pharm/path). The average is ~185 for the CBSE with our class ultimately hovering around 230 when they take actual step.

My score equated to a 208 when I took it. Start my five weeks this Monday.... we'll see if the 40 point increase holds true for me...

Yes, go to the NBME website, choose a basic science assessment, and pick the expanded feedback option. Voila.

yeah those are the nbmes we all do here...(ie 11, 12, 13, and the latest 15) but i was wondering if we wanted extra practice and a source for more questions can we purchase these forms for $36...

I'm not gonna type much because im on an ipad but overall I think I had a very fair test. I would agree with people who say that Uworld and FA cover 90% of the test. Most of the things I was unsure about I knew were in FA somewhere I just couldn't remember them and some questions that I only knew because of UWorld. I had some off the wall weird questions each block but they were balanced out by some that were almost laughably easy. No really overrepresented subject on mine stuck out in my mind but of course I think that's just the draw of the questions. Won't post specifics of course bc I don't need any dudes from NBME calling me up.

Overall I know there were some I missed that I should have known from FA and some I randomly guessed right. At least for me it wasn't that big of a deal once the test started...once you're actually sitting down and taking the test you just do the questions one by one and get through it. There's so much anticipation building up to it but once you're in the blocks you just do it. I did start getting pretty worn out by block six though, i think you just get tired of looking at questions for so long. Take the breaks for sure even if it's just to walk out to the bathroom and back in.

I'm not gonna type much because im on an ipad but overall I think I had a very fair test. I would agree with people who say that Uworld and FA cover 90% of the test. Most of the things I was unsure about I knew were in FA somewhere I just couldn't remember them and some questions that I only knew because of UWorld. I had some off the wall weird questions each block but they were balanced out by some that were almost laughably easy. No really overrepresented subject on mine stuck out in my mind but of course I think that's just the draw of the questions. Won't post specifics of course bc I don't need any dudes from NBME calling me up.

Overall I know there were some I missed that I should have known from FA and some I randomly guessed right. At least for me it wasn't that big of a deal once the test started...once you're actually sitting down and taking the test you just do the questions one by one and get through it. There's so much anticipation building up to it but once you're in the blocks you just do it. I did start getting pretty worn out by block six though, i think you just get tired of looking at questions for so long. Take the breaks for sure even if it's just to walk out to the bathroom and back in.

damn brah good job...how'd anatomy turn out? :D;)

My school takes the Comprehensive Basic Science Exam in December before we can move on to clinics (we have a modified 18 month curriculum). We have to pass with ~185 before we start our first rotation. We then take Step 1 after a year of clerkships.

Because we have to take the exam right after block exams/finals, many of us have to find time during our busy fall semester to squeeze in study time (upperclassmen told us to hit it hard over Thanksgiving break). I only ended up getting through the first half of First-Aide, but ended up getting a scaled score of 87, which correlated to 240-245. The NBME sends you a print out of the ranges and how the different scaled scores correlate to Step 1 performance. Getting a scaled score of 90 correlates to a 250, and getting >94 correlates to >260.

Are these accurate predictors? I have no clue since I haven't taken my Step 1 yet. I haven't even touched a Q-bank like Uworld so I don't even know what percentile performance my score correlates to. From what upperclassman tell me, your score generally goes up 30+ points.

As far as the test goes, I found it to cover pretty much everything and it reminds me of my 3rd year clerkship shelf exams. I thought it was a fair test, but it definitely had random details (ie lots of biochem, head/neck anatomy, etc) that I wasn't expecting. We're told to cram First-Aid as much as we can before the test, but I saw some students using USMLE Rx and UWorld to prepare. Whatever you have time for is pretty much what guides your study methods.

Not sure if that answers your question, but hopefully it helped a little.

Congrats on finishing with the exam. I am pretty sure you nailed it!
And to be quite honest, it's a relief to hear that FA + UWorld were sufficient.
Good luck with your score :luck:

Congrats on finishing with the exam. I am pretty sure you nailed it!
And to be quite honest, it's a relief to hear that FA + UWorld were sufficient.
Good luck with your score :luck:

Good morning everybody. ZZ, have you taken any nbmes yet? I wanted to get your input about that kaplan ethics 100 cases book to see if it has come in handy for you...:)