Case Western, NYU, or Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the better med school

• Tufts

Votes: 25 12.3%
  • NYU

Votes: 76 37.3%
  • Case Western

Votes: 100 49.0%

• Total voters

dr cot

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
They're all the same to me.

Members don't see this ad.

dr cot said:
They're all the same to me.

case hands in a close battle with NYU
I don't think Tufts is in the same league as those two schools

owenmichael said:

I'm having a lot of trouble deciding between schools like this. The middle of the road schools all seem like they offer similar educations. I don't see any real difference in reputation. Is it a question of where I'd rather live? An option of a top tier school would make this a lot easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was choosing between Case, Pitt and NYU last month. At first I was really torn, since I like all 3 programs a lot. Then, I had one of these: :idea: .

NYU is in NYC. This makes a huge difference to me. Hence, it's where I would have gone out of the three.

owenmichael said:

Incorrect unless you are a US news representative, in which case you and the polls (which always follow us news rankings) are representing the magazine exquisitely. Of the medical communities that I have associated with (California, New York, Boston), Tufts is as well respected as the other two schools, and Case does not consistently "hand in" anything except perhaps a towel against NYU. They are all of equal reputation. Location and program-specific idiosynchracies, such as scheduling/courses/etc, is the prime decision point in this case - NOT reputation.

Yeah, for me this decision would be based mostly on location (and financial aid if they were significantly different).

NYU >>>>>>> Case = Tufts (I'd have to consider other factors to decide b/w these two.)

NYU hands down! NYC rocks.

p00psicleSTICK said:
NYU hands down! NYC rocks.

No it doesn't, Yankees SUCK!!!

Seriously, though, they're all in pretty different locations so go with whatever floats your boat. Just remember this one eternal truth: Yankees SUCK!!

silas2642 said:

Seriously, though, they're all in pretty different locations so go with whatever floats your boat. Just remember this one eternal truth: Yankees SUCK!!

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

NYC is more like living in a smelly ant farm - thanks anyway. Been there, done that. Boston is the place to be! :love:

boston is cool if that is your thing. Just remember boston isn't really a city. It's a large town. If you want to live in a city nyc is the way to go.

silas2642 said:

What's this? an obsessive, whiny malcontent? must be a red sox fan.

DarkFark said:
What's this? an obsessive, whiny malcontent? must be a red sox fan.

Say what you want, man. But what other group in the world other than Red Sox Fans can you think of who would make better doctors? For who knows pain and suffering better than a Sox fan?

Au contraire, my friend, Yankees fans of the 21st century have a natural affinity for the American health care system; for who knows more than than a Yankee fan about a ludicriously overpriced and overhyped behemoth that consistantly fails to produce the goods?

Members don't see this ad :)
Touche. Indeed, perhaps Yankees fans and Red Sox fans should unite as one powerful force for the good of the patient population. But alas, we are sworn to hate each other forever and ever. Amen.

Yankees Suck!!!

silas2642 said:
Touche. Indeed, perhaps Yankees fans and Red Sox fans should unite as one powerful force for the good of the patient population. But alas, we are sworn to hate each other forever and ever. Amen.

Yankees Suck!!!

True. Then again, even Darth Vadar had a change of heart... Control your fears, or perhaps....... :eek:

Face it, Bostonians are better. Period. Look at Risa, I mean she's giving up NY for HAVAAAHHHDDD. The thing of it is, Risa, if you're a Yankee's fan, get your ass out of town before you get the crap kicked out of you. Because if you're on the dark side, then no matter how smart or qualified you are, Beantown just don't need or want people like you.

silas2642 said:
Face it, Bostonians are better. Period. Look at Risa, I mean she's giving up NY for HAVAAAHHHDDD. The thing of it is, Risa, if you're a Yankee's fan, get your ass out of town before you get the crap kicked out of you. Because if you're on the dark side, then no matter how smart or qualified you are, Beantown just don't need or want people like you.

I was in Boston last week for St. Patricks day, and my baseball affiliation was... how shall I say? known. I somehow managed to not get "the crap kicked out of" me. I only got into a couple of arguements. But then, I'm 6'5 and 210 lbs.

I must say, however, that the omnipresent inferiority complex was quite charming- an interesting change of pace.

Why is this poll so uneven? Is it just that people on here really like NYU and Case or is there something bad about Tufts?

If it's the latter, a deterrent from Tufts, what is it? I was thinking about applying there, not that this poll is going to change my mind, but I'm curious why people don't like the school.

Isn't Tufts med school near Chinatown? Go there, and then you can eat at Penang all the time AND be a Red Sox fan. :D

silas2642 said:

Silas, are you stalking me??? I keep innocently reading through threads only to stumble upon you, telling me my mom is a dog or that I'm going to get my ass kicked. (this is where I'd insert that crying face that AIM has but SDN doesn't)

As for the Yankees, well yeah, my family is certainly on the "dark side." I'm not particularly affiliated, though... this is me watching baseball: :sleep: . In any case, I have high hopes of survival.

Risa said:
Silas, are you stalking me??? I keep innocently reading through threads only to stumble upon you, telling me my mom is a dog or that I'm going to get my ass kicked. (this is where I'd insert that crying face that AIM has but SDN doesn't)

As for the Yankees, well yeah, my family is certainly on the "dark side." I'm not particularly affiliated, though... this is me watching baseball: :sleep: . In any case, I have high hopes of survival.

Damn you caught me! Another restraining order, dammit!! Anyway, you seem to be a pretty nice person and I know that you have smarts, so I'm going to keep high hopes that you may someday be converted to the good side.

Snowboarder said:
Why is this poll so uneven? Is it just that people on here really like NYU and Case or is there something bad about Tufts?

If it's the latter, a deterrent from Tufts, what is it? I was thinking about applying there, not that this poll is going to change my mind, but I'm curious why people don't like the school.

I'm going to try really hard to be serious here. No, really.

My personal opinion is that NYU, Case, and Tufts are all really good schools. However, if one goes by USNews rankings, NYU and Case (I think) are rated a bit higher than Tufts, and for this reason I think people consider them to be more elite.

If you're thinking about applying to Tufts, go for it. I loved it there-- the faculty was great, the students were laid back and friendly, the curriculum fit me well, and I love Boston (Yankees suck, did I mention that?).

silas2642 said:
I'm going to try really hard to be serious here. No, really.

My personal opinion is that NYU, Case, and Tufts are all really good schools. However, if one goes by USNews rankings, NYU and Case (I think) are rated a bit higher than Tufts, and for this reason I think people consider them to be more elite.

If you're thinking about applying to Tufts, go for it. I loved it there-- the faculty was great, the students were laid back and friendly, the curriculum fit me well, and I love Boston (Yankees suck, did I mention that?).

...and A-Fraud chokes!! :laugh:

DarkFark said:
I was in Boston last week for St. Patricks day, and my baseball affiliation was... how shall I say? known. I somehow managed to not get "the crap kicked out of" me. I only got into a couple of arguements. But then, I'm 6'5 and 210 lbs.

I must say, however, that the omnipresent inferiority complex was quite charming- an interesting change of pace.

Ahh haa haa - typical. There is no inferiority complex any more. Only an arrogant Yankees fan would have thought that it was still there - oblivious to the recent years of consistent short fall of the boys in pinstripes. That inferiority complex left the year A-Fraud cursed your team!!! :laugh:

Orthodoc40 said:
Ahh haa haa - typical. There is no inferiority complex any more. Only an arrogant Yankees fan would have thought that it was still there - oblivious to the recent years of consistent short fall of the boys in pinstripes. That inferiority complex left the year A-Fraud cursed your team!!! :laugh:

The year "A-Fraud" cursed the team? You must be referring to that blind-squirrel-finds-nut episode.

Of course the inferiority complex exists- allow me to demonstrate why. In this very thread, Boston fans have (and continue to) bristle at the very mention of a rival team's city- let alone the team itself.

At Boston vs. Tampa games chants of 'Yankees Suck' continue to break out... even when the games are in Tampa Bay. That's not funny or clever- it's just sad. Even after your supposed victory, you continue to obsess(sp?) over your oppressor.

Even the chant 'Yankees Suck' is sad and pathetic. To a Yankees fan it just seems non sensical- like "Lance Armstrong Sucks" or "Michael Jordan Sucks". Okay, you don't like our team, we get it. But to say that they suck seems less like an evaluation and more like wishful thinking. Even if we haven't won in *GASP* 6 years, our team has 4 championships in recent memory, and more dynasties in the last 90 years than your team has championships.

We don't have to chant because we know we're still better. We hate the Red Sox, but we only bother to show that we do when our team is actually playing them.

In short, if you Red Sox fans can lay off the neurotically obsessed behavior, then maybe we'll believe that the inferiority complex has waned. Until then, I remain unconvinced.

Oh, I'll be the first to admit that we're still neurotic. You would be too, if your team had been cursed the way that ours has been for the past 80 years. That's part of the reason why I'm such a die hard red sox fan-- it's a team that fits my personality; it is an entity that is full of neuroses, is often hard and painful to watch, but in the end everything works out okay. Sort of. That's why I think that we make exceptional doctors, because we really and truly understand frustration and excruciating pain.

silas2642 said:
Oh, I'll be the first to admit that we're still neurotic. You would be too, if your team had been cursed the way that ours has been for the past 80 years. That's part of the reason why I'm such a die hard red sox fan-- it's a team that fits my personality; it is an entity that is full of neuroses, is often hard and painful to watch, but in the end everything works out okay. Sort of. That's why I think that we make exceptional doctors, because we really and truly understand frustration and excruciating pain.

Well it's nice to see you can admit it, and even take something positive out of your suffering. But I ask you this: Would not someone with an abundance of confidence, prehaps even an unshakeable belief in inevitable victory be a good doctor as well?

Also, while being a Yankees fan is on balance, a very positive experience, we have had our share of tragedies- if you make the playoffs every year, disaster is bound to strike eventually. Besides the more recent episode with which you are no doubt familiar, there was the 2001 Luis Gonzalez debacle (that actually hurt more than 2004, if you can believe that) and the 1997 Edgar Martinez misadventure. Neither of those were for the faint of heart.

DarkFark said:
The year "A-Fraud" cursed the team? You must be referring to that blind-squirrel-finds-nut episode.

We don't have to chant because we know we're still better. We hate the Red Sox, but we only bother to show that we do when our team is actually playing them.

Oh the Curse of A-Fraud is upon you. He did used to wear #3 after all...

And you talk about stupid chants? That 1918 chant from Yankees fans was purely pathetic. At least the Yankees Suck chant worked!!

DarkFark said:
Well it's nice to see you can admit it, and even take something positive out of your suffering. But I ask you this: Would not someone with an abundance of confidence, prehaps even an unshakeable belief in inevitable victory be a good doctor as well?

Also, while being a Yankees fan is on balance, a very positive experience, we have had our share of tragedies- if you make the playoffs every year, disaster is bound to strike eventually. Besides the more recent episode with which you are no doubt familiar, there was the 2001 Luis Gonzalez debacle (that actually hurt more than 2004, if you can believe that) and the 1997 Edgar Martinez misadventure. Neither of those were for the faint of heart.
An overabundance of confidence is the definition of arrogance. I don't think that arrogance is a good trait to have in doctor, I think it's a really annoying characteristic.

Orthodoc40 said:
Oh the Curse of A-Fraud is upon you. He did used to wear #3 after all...

And you talk about stupid chants? That 1918 chant from Yankees fans was purely pathetic. At least the Yankees Suck chant worked!!

What was so pathetic about the 1918 chant- the way it drove Red Sox fans crazy?

Curse of A-Fraud? I'm sorry, that's not how it works. The curse starts when you trade away the best player in the game, not for him. And I'm not buying "The Curse of Alfonso Soriano". Nice try, though.

And lastly, 1 win in 87 years for the "Yankees Suck" chant (I added one because you still use it as of last year) equates so a success rate of 1.149%. I would not categorize that as 'effective'.

silas2642 said:
An overabundance of confidence is the definition of arrogance. I don't think that arrogance is a good trait to have in doctor, I think it's a really annoying characteristic.

I wasn't really serious about that- trying to make a joke is all.

i have spent the past hour or so searching SDN for info on NYU med and this is what I keep getting amid all the pre dental posts.. jeez guys. who cares?
but NYC is way better LOL... (and baseball have nothing to do with it!)

btw, what decisions have you all made about the schools? and are you happy?

Going to NYU is going to cost you a lot of money. I think everything here is more expensive and you will be living in dorms or finding a place in the lower east side. Not cheap at all, and as for bars... 7 bucks a corona just sayin!

Arg I thought this poll was interesting until it went into baseball which could be important but I think Cleveland Clinic is a great additional benefit of being at Case, you get to be at sort of the epicenter of breakthrough things (they are in the news all the time) while NYU has Bellevue which is also very cool, but again, NYC is largely inacessible to people who are in med school. Many of my buds are there and basically have no idea what happens outside of the NYU medical center complex at 34th street lol.

Tufts, I don't know anything about, but it is Boston. The biggest college town in America - take it or leave it.

The most expensive medical school in the country.

i think tufts being near BU and harvard makes it hard to distinguish it by virtue of being in the college capital of the country. I don't know anything about the difference between BU and Tufts. I do know about harvard though ;O)