whats in your EM library?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MLB2000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so after being a med student, EM resident, or beyond, what books have you accumulated in your personal EM library?

Members don't see this ad.

Rosen's Emergency Medicine (need to update to the 2006 edition)
Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine
Chou's EKG Book (awesome)
Goldfrank's Medical Toxicology text
Ma's Ultrasound text
River's Emergency Medicine review text

Those are the main ones. I also have texts on wound management, billing, EMS administration, etc.

One of the better things I recently purchased was MedChallenger EM. I highly recommend it. It's a great question/answer CD-ROM/online with more than 4,000 questions.

Tintinalli (broken into 7 volumes)
EM Atlas
Roberts/Hedges
Art of ECG Interpretation (Garcia)
Rivers
Rosen's (last edition, hand me down)
5 Minute EM consult
MedChallenger (program provided)
Wilderness Med (auerbach)

The Garcia book is excellent. It is nice to have Roberts&Hedges procedure book at home on days when I miss/screw up. The EM atlas is a great bathroom book - plenty of short and informative segments. Probably going to buy Peer to study over the course of the next year, but I want to get through Tint one time first.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can you all leave out "Manual of Emergency Airway Management" by Walls?

:)

1. Emergency Medicine--A Comprehensive Study Guide (Tintinalli)
2. Rosen's 5 Minute Clincal Consult (Rosen)
3. Emergency Radiology (Schwartz)
4. Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine (Roberts and Hedges)
5. Emergency Medicine Secrets (Vincent)
6. The Harriett Lane Handbook (Robertson and Shilkofski)

kungfufishing said:
Art of ECG Interpretation (Garcia)

quinn's big on garcia too. i bought it under his previous recommendations and so far, it's been excellent.

1) Pepid EM suite
2) Roberts and Hedges
3) Tintinalli
4) Harwood Nuss

Harwood nuss
tintinalli
rosen
roberts and hedges
Ma's ultrasound
Art of 12 lead Ekg and the Arrythmia one
Atlas of Emergency Medicine
Various research books
a few others.. these are at the top

House of God - Samuel Shem - best medical book ever.
The Rape of Emergency Medicine - Keaney - you gotta love a book that totally degrades your former department chair.
Travels - Michael Crichton - besides being a great author he actually graduated from medical school. Ever wonder why the first couple of seasons of ER were actually good?

Of course they gave me Tintanelli and Rosens but these are much more fun to read. Pepid is great too, I give it a big thumbs up.

southerndoc said:
Rosen's Emergency Medicine (need to update to the 2006 edition)
Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine
Chou's EKG Book (awesome)
Goldfrank's Medical Toxicology text
Ma's Ultrasound text
River's Emergency Medicine review text

Those are the main ones. I also have texts on wound management, billing, EMS administration, etc.

One of the better things I recently purchased was MedChallenger EM. I highly recommend it. It's a great question/answer CD-ROM/online with more than 4,000 questions.

Do you think that it's wasteful for an intern to purchase the Med Challenger EM CD for $435, or would it prove to be useful throughout my three years of residency?

Anyone else used/using this that loves it?