Discussion of Article "20 Questions with Hieu Tran, PharmD"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Great interview- Dr. Tran is a really nice man. I plan on applying to Sullivan for the inaugural class.

It'll be interesting to see how it works to accelerate a PharmD program further by compressing the class schedule to four days per week. That sounds crazy to me. I'm in a four year school which reserves Monday for exam day (usually just one exam per week) and I already wish we could have lectures on Monday just to slow things down a little bit.

I like Dr. Tran's comments about considering location as one of the criteria for choosing a school. A lot of the advice I heard when I was pre-pharm was to not bring that up during an interview.

Interesting interview. I wish Sullivan success.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is it possible to study 2-3 hours per hour of classroom instruction when there may be 20-30 hours of classroom instruction per week?

How is it possible to study 2-3 hours per hour of classroom instruction when there may be 20-30 hours of classroom instruction per week?

it's just an estimate. i know that for prerequisites, my profs tell me to spend 2 hours for every hour spent in the classroom. i think its tremendous, but the idea that they want to get at you is that it takes loads of dedication and hours into your school work in order to succeed in the end.

The four-days-of-class-per-week is a hallmark of Sullivan University (in all their programs). Dr. Tran talked extensively to me about his decision to adhere to this schedule for the new school of pharmacy. He said he had not thought it would be possible but when he examined the schedule he found that it was. He really wants to be mindful and respectful of students' time. I think it's great and wish I could have Fridays off at my school.

I've heard that it's 2 hours per credit hour. For a typical pharmacy course load of around 18 credit hours, that's 36 hours a week. Taking a day off, that would be six hours a day. It's doable, but many people of course do have other things to do like work.

Personally, I never reached that 2 hours studying/credit hour for 15 credit hours in my best years. I think the realistic goal for non-book worms is to study a little bit each day for every course while getting help when needed.

The four-days-of-class-per-week is a hallmark of Sullivan University (in all their programs). Dr. Tran talked extensively to me about his decision to adhere to this schedule for the new school of pharmacy. He said he had not thought it would be possible but when he examined the schedule he found that it was. He really wants to be mindful and respectful of students' time. I think it's great and wish I could have Fridays off at my school.
Friday is off from classes but is still intended as a day of study.

4 days of classes a week sounds amazing.

Sounds like a good program. Good for those that are looking to finish a PharmD degree quickly.