Naplex & MPJE changing???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmmlortab

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On Monday August 6th, US Marshals seized materials and computers from the University of Georgia College of Pharmacy. This action by the federal court followed investigations and complaints by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) into alleged breaches of the NAPLEX and MPJE. Following allegations of the NAPLEX and MPJE exams being compromised, we are receiving second hand information that NABP is considering shutting down the current version of NAPLEX and MPJE.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow that is INSANE! where did you get this information from? I wonder if it has anything to do with that review course everyone talks about on here. That truly sucks. NABP is getting on my never either way, it has been a week and a half sicne I took my exam and they do not have a score for me yet the testing center has said they sent them my file on August 1st, the day after I took the exam. Maybe they should spend more time worrying about not losing candidate's tests and less time on filing complaints on other people!!!

On Monday August 6th, US Marshals seized materials and computers from the University of Georgia College of Pharmacy. This action by the federal court followed investigations and complaints by the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy (NABP) into alleged breaches of the NAPLEX and MPJE. Following allegations of the NAPLEX and MPJE exams being compromised, we are receiving second hand information that NABP is considering shutting down the current version of NAPLEX and MPJE.

Hi, I am just curious.
Where did you get this news?
Anyway, it wouldn't be any different to me unless they will offer an easier version of MPJE to me :D (I know this is totally wishful thinking!)

:luck: Oh my! Does it have anything to do with "Dr. Flynn class is canceled"?? I heard Dr. Flynn's class is awesome. He encourages his students to write down questions they remember & send them to him, and he himself takes the NAPLEX in different States to compile his notes. Now I really want to know what is going on with this guys....
CC:biglove:

Members don't see this ad :)
:luck: Oh my! Does it have anything to do with "Dr. Flynn class is canceled"?? I heard Dr. Flynn's class is awesome. He encourages his students to write down questions they remember & send them to him, and he himself takes the NAPLEX in different States to compile his notes. Now I really want to know what is going on with this guys....
CC:biglove:

The problem is that questions on the NAPLEX are not to be disclosed. You sign and affidavit on the computer before the exam. It's okay to go over the type of questions that are on the exam during a review. Reiss & Hall do this with the Kaplan review, which I took back in May. What Dr. Flynn passed on to his class, in addition to the general study information, was questions that students sent to him that they saw on the NAPLEX and his response to those questions. This is illegal. Students will always talk with classmates about what questions they saw on an exam. I believe that the NABP realizes that this will happen and is okay with it. But, when you have someone charging for a review class and that information is disclosed then the line has been crossed.

It seems to me, those of us who failed and didn't have the flynn class/notes COULD start a class action lawsuit, if in fact it is such a dramatic breach that they will change the exam!:D

Wondering where you got this information from....very interesting.

Hmmm, I couldn't find anything substantiating this. Flynn Warren (his first name is Flynn, not his last, something that's bothered me around here for a long time) has been conducting this class for years and years - why is this a problem now? Also, he didn't cover anything about the MPJE so I don't see why that's an issue

I for one am glad I took his review. The NAPLEX (at least my version) was such a random collection of worthless facts - most of which I didn't learn in school because they are irrelevant to every day practice. Maybe the NAPB should focus their efforts on creating a more applicable exam.

I just heard from my district manager at one of the biggest chains in the US that this is true. I can't seem to find anything online to back it up though. I did not use Flynn's notes but I heard they were very useful.

Can you please post where you got this info from...as this will affect us new grads.

While I was searching the internet to find out if the UGA COP/Flynn Warren material being seized was true, I stumbled across this posted on another forum.

http://www.urch.com/forums/naplex/73112-naplex-breach.html

TO: EXECUTIVE OFFICERS – STATE BOARDS OF PHARMACY DEANS – SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES OF PHARMACY FROM: Carmen A. Catizone, Executive Director/Secretary DATE: August 6, 2007 RE: Materials Seized from University of Georgia College of Pharmacy Following Allegations of Breaches of National Pharmacy Licensure Examination
Today, Monday, August 6, United States’ Marshals seized materials and computers from the University of Georgia College of Pharmacy and the offices and home of Flynn Warren, Jr, clinical professor and assistant dean for student affairs, pursuant to an ex parte temporary restraining order and seizure order from a federal court in the Middle District of Georgia Athens Division. The action by the federal court follows investigations and complaints by NABP into alleged breaches of the North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) and the Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (MPJE) and outline activities of faculty, students, and the University of Georgia College of Pharmacy. NABP is disappointed and appalled that the public trust and health were victimized, the security of the NAPLEX and MPJE breached, and the integrity of the licensure process compromised with the knowledge and at the direction of individuals responsible for educating and preparing students to become competent and ethical pharmacists. The NABP Executive Committee is evaluating how the actions noted in the findings of the federal court impact the NAPLEX and MPJE and what changes need to occur to ensure the integrity of the NAPLEX and MPJE. NABP will move aggressively to hold accountable, legally and financially, any and all individuals, colleges and schools of pharmacy, and organizations involved in and responsible for the compromise of the NAPLEX and MPJE examinations. The petitions filed and granted in federal court last week will be amended and expanded to name and act against any and all individuals, colleges and schools of pharmacy, and organizations that have engaged or engage in activities adversely impacting the integrity and security of the NAPLEX and MPJE and violate state and federal laws. NABP will take any action possible to ensure that the public health is protected. If you have any questions, please contact me via e-mail at [email protected] or via phone at 847/391-4400 or 1-800/774-6227. Thank you. cc: NABP Executive Committee Advisory Committee on Examinations
user_offline.gif

I would think they would have to do a full investigation before they created an entire new exam.. right? I am taking my exam on the 18th.. I hope they don't change anything!!!

Word is that a certain drug store chain(rhymes with PBS) is urging their grad interns to take the NAPLEX and MPJE as soon as possible.

I went on the NABP website and I did not see any press releases mentioning that files were confiscated from UGA and Flynn Warren. I really don't understand how a College of Pharmacy would be "breaching" security. It makes it sound like Flynn Warren had a bunch of hackers at his disposal. Secondly, Flynn does not lecture on MPJE. MPJE exams have a very state specific component. Until I hear responses from Deans of Pharmacy and respective Boards of pharmacy something smells fishy. :thumbdown:

Word is that a certain drug store chain(rhymes with PBS) is urging their grad interns to take the NAPLEX and MPJE as soon as possible.

I went on the NABP website and I did not see any press releases mentioning that files were confiscated from UGA and Flynn Warren. I really don't understand how a College of Pharmacy would be "breaching" security. It makes it sound like Flynn Warren had a bunch of hackers at his disposal. Secondly, Flynn does not lecture on MPJE. MPJE exams have a very state specific component. Until I hear responses from Deans of Pharmacy and respective Boards of pharmacy something smells fishy. :thumbdown:

Interesting perspective.. I couldn't find anything myself on this raid other then the post here on sdn and the post on that urch.com site. The person who had posted it posted it as there first post as well. lortab, if you dont mind telling us, where did you recieve this information from?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see the above postings and I joined just so that I could state a few things about Flynn Warren:

• Flynn Warren is probably the smartest person that I have ever met. His passion toward pharmacy explains his 30+ years of great wisdom. He really cares about his students and just wants them to be successful pharmacists. I am not a student at Georgia but I have taken his reviews and had many interactions with him through GPhA.

• We must be careful about the things that we post because we would not want to spread rumors or create panic. Please post things that you know for a fact taking care not to post speculations of fact. Mr. Warren spent his entire career caring about students and seeing to our success: we owe it to him.

• The way to go about research for legal matters in not through google or yahoo. Legal matters can be state or federal and both of which are public record. Since the alleged crime crosses state lines, it is a federal matter. An action was filed in the Middle District Court of Georgia in Athens. A warrant was granted to conduct a search and seize property of his office and his home. His office and home were searched and property was seized on August 6, 2007. As of yet, no indictment has been handed down from a grand jury! In other words, no charges have yet to be filed. Thanks to pharmasea, we have the official note sent out by NABP.

• Kaplan, ASHP, and others are giving similar reviews for the NAPLEX and the MPJE. I guess the difference between them and Flynn’s review is that his was a better and more thorough review. I did attend his NAPLEX and MPJE reviews and they were very thorough. He was not giving us actual test questions from the NAPLEX and MPJE but more of a general way of their thinking. He taught us to think the way the test writers think so that we will be able to study more effectively.

• This is not Flynn’s first rodeo with NABP. He was sued a couple years ago by NABP for his review. The Attorney General for the State of Georgia represented him in the action. The settlement agreement stated that he not give questions to students that were identical in nature to those asked on the exam. He was also asked not to give profile questions and case studies. He has since complied with the terms of the settlement agreement.

• It is hard to speculate on whether they will change the NABPLEX and/or MPJE exams. It is simply speculation at this point until we get feedback from students taking the exam. I doubt NABP will ever create a press release: I am confident that I would not be before a trial or conviction. A federal trial could take a year minimum. Eighty or so percent of the MPJE is the same for all 50 states as they cover federal laws. The remaining percentage covers state specific questions. If it is found that there was a breech of security, they MAY want to change both exams. I would think that this would take some time though. There are always 25 questions on the NABPLEX that do not count as they are sample questions for use in a future exam. I would think the wheels of change would be very slow.

I hope this helps shed some light on things and brings down the level of panic. We really need feedback from students currently taking the exam!

There is the possibility that the NABP could require everyone who took the exam within a time period retake the exam. They did that to the FPGEC folks when I was a freshman.

However, if a pharmacist had to cheat to pass the NAPLEX, I'd shudder to think how incompetent that person is.

As for Dr. Warren, well, I guess he should hire a better lawyer than Cody.

There is the possibility that the NABP could require everyone who took the exam within a time period retake the exam.

I can't wait to read about the lawsuits brought against the NABP is they try something like that.

It's not without precedent. The 2001 FPGEC were voided for everyone in the June section due to some idiots making photocopies of the exam questions. One of the old NABPLEX exams was cancelled mid-exam on the West Coast when someone received the questions from an East Coast source. Under the rules, NABP can require retakes of the exam if it has been compromised.

Honestly, I think that the NABP may force Flynn's students to retake the exam, but I don't think that they would invalidate not to the rest of the examinees during the period.

It's not without precedent. The 2001 FPGEC were voided for everyone in the June section due to some idiots making photocopies of the exam questions. One of the old NABPLEX exams was cancelled mid-exam on the West Coast when someone received the questions from an East Coast source. Under the rules, NABP can require retakes of the exam if it has been compromised.

Honestly, I think that the NABP may force Flynn's students to retake the exam, but I don't think that they would invalidate not to the rest of the examinees during the period.

Lord's statement is 100% accurate. From the circles I run in, retaking the NAPLEX is a definite possibility for all that took his course, regardless if your school required you to take his course for graduation. (ex: Samford) If they do take this action, I wonder how they will formulate exam questions within a reasonable period of time

I'm not familiar with Dr. Flynn's class, I never heard about this while I was in school. Still, I am shocked to read that a professor could have been running a review session that sounds so obviously illegal. Maybe I have been mislead by what I read here, but it sounds like this professor compiled actual NAPLEX exam questions from former test takers and then charged money for a "review session" where he gave this information out?

If that is true then why are so many here defending him? Just wondering. Doesn't it seem wrong that students who go to his class would have a very unfair advantage? How long has his review session been going on and why hasn't he got into trouble before this?

Lord's statement is 100% accurate. From the circles I run in, retaking the NAPLEX is a definite possibility for all that took his course, regardless if your school required you to take his course for graduation. (ex: Samford) If they do take this action, I wonder how they will formulate exam questions within a reasonable period of time

just talked with some friends from samford...they weren't required to take flynn's course to graduate...most said it didn't really help them that much...apparently he just went over basic concepts during the review...nothing really different from the review books out there (apha, lange, ashp, etc)

There is the possibility that the NABP could require everyone who took the exam within a time period retake the exam. They did that to the FPGEC folks when I was a freshman.

However, if a pharmacist had to cheat to pass the NAPLEX, I'd shudder to think how incompetent that person is.

As for Dr. Warren, well, I guess he should hire a better lawyer than Cody.

Yep - in CA alone, Cody paid $20K, had his CA license revoked, stayed & put on probation for 5 years. The pharmacist who fed the questions to Cody lost her license, had it stayed & put on probation for 3 years. She paid $2k. They both had to publish public letters & videos to be used in CA schools.

The $20K Cody paid was to cover the cost of investigation, prosecution, reconstruction of test questions (it doesn't take long - there are "test" questions on each exam & professors are paid to review & rewrite questions each year) & to monitor exams.

I have no idea what other states imposed on Cody.

I gotta wonder why some are so drawn to this need to do a review course when you're a new grad? Don't you feel at your most competent right now?

I guess I could understand if you're taking it years after graduating.....

I also can't figure out the stories of students who knowingly will do things like leave the room or otherwise compromise their testing when they know the rules.

It is hard to speculate on whether they will change the NABPLEX and/or MPJE exams. It is simply speculation at this point until we get feedback from students taking the exam. I doubt NABP will ever create a press release: I am confident that I would not be before a trial or conviction. A federal trial could take a year minimum. Eighty or so percent of the MPJE is the same for all 50 states as they cover federal laws. The remaining percentage covers state specific questions. If it is found that there was a breech of security, they MAY want to change both exams. I would think that this would take some time though. There are always 25 questions on the NABPLEX that do not count as they are sample questions for use in a future exam. I would think the wheels of change would be very slow.

I gotta disagree with this. The CPJE is 75 questions plus 15 unscored pretest items. There is less federal law than CA law plus clinically relevant questions on this exam.

So - its pretty easy & quick to change test questions since many, many are already in the data base. Plus, the major professors in the CA schools of pharmacy are writing &/or reviewing potential test questions every year.

I'd expect you'd see the test change very, very quickly - but, you'd never know it because they don't use the exact same test each time anyway. So, getting feedback from any individual is just that - one individual's experience & unless they take it twice (in which case, they wouldn't have the same exam again anyway) - how would you know?

The guy may be nice, a good professor, etc....but, wisdom? Hmmm - not if he's compromised an examination which assesses the abilities of my colleagues to do their jobs. That was not a wise thing to do. When Cody did this - it was not a "lawsuit" and never went to court or involved any grand juries. It was a breech of CA B&P code (& was a misdemeanor) - so he was subjected to discipline by the board. He was not tried in a court.

I'd have to question his wisdom again if this was not his first bout with discipline. A wise person would have learned from his previous missteps. I don't know that I'd be so quick to follow the "thinking" that this guy is promoting.....

Does anyone know anything about the NAPLEX being on hold right now? My friend is trying to schedule his test and no matter what testing site he tries it won't let him schedule until after October 16th? Seems a little weird for every testing site to be filled up until the same exact date.

Hey guys, this statement is straight from http://www.nabp.net/

so I guess we'll all just have to see what happens next....

NAPLEX and Georgia MPJE Suspended
On August 23, 2007, the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy convened an emergency meeting of its Executive Committee to review the security involving NABP’s North American Pharmacist Licensure Examination (NAPLEX) and the Georgia Multistate Pharmacy Jurisprudence Examination (GA MPJE). The Executive Committee suspended administrations of the NAPLEX and GA MPJE effective immediately beginning Saturday, August 25, 2007. Candidates who are scheduled to sit for the examinations after that date will be rescheduled for an appointment later in 2007. No determination has been made at this time as to when the NAPLEX or GA MPJE examinations will be reinstated.

There's announcement on NABP website regarding NAPLEX suspension.
I was scheduled to take exam tomorrow. This sucks!!!!
I received automated phone call from NABP and email from prometric regarding this.
The latest scheduling date as per prometric is now Nov 1. But NABP can't confirm.
Call from NABP at 7:00 PM. Of-course offices are closed !!!!:mad:

This sucks big time for people like who were all set to take the exam

I guess cheating really does hurt everyone. I really don't understand why someone would need to "cheat" (use Flynn's class) to pass the naplex. It was seriously a very fair and simply test to pass.

I agree - this is what I really, really don't understand. Why cheat on something which gives you acknowledgement of knowledge learned???

I just don't get it......

ive been watching this topic since a lot of my friends are about to take the exam.

i have to ask... what is this "cody" you are referring too. I just dont know the whole story. thanks

ive been watching this topic since a lot of my friends are about to take the exam.

i have to ask... what is this "cody" you are referring too. I just dont know the whole story. thanks

google Morris Cody, CA, pharmcist, discipline.

I think his open letter was published in the January 2005 issue of The Script, which is the publication of the CA State Board of Pharmacy.

He had someone, who is actually named in this issue, a pharmacist - who actually came back from the exam & emailed him actual test questions which he put in his "study materials" - stupid on everyone's part!

Morris Cody used to be a guru - somewhat like this guy is right now - in getting people passed on the exams who might be borderline (I had a graduate intern, licensed in another state take his course FOUR count them - FOUR times & take the exam FOUR times & couldn't pass. After four times, you have to take classes before you're allowed to sit for the exam again.) But - passing doesn't make you a good pharmacist if you've never really learned the material!!!!

Anyway - the guy is completely tainted now- paid a whole lot of money in fines - I think he's still doing review courses though. Buyer - beware!

But - who would hire this pharmacist??????? She's been "published"????

Our associate dean talked about the whole Univ of GA and the NAPLEX situation today at our PharmD seminar. He said that the NAPLEX will not be changed and that there would be no delay in testing.

Our associate dean talked about the whole Univ of GA and the NAPLEX situation today at our PharmD seminar. He said that the NAPLEX will not be changed and that there would be no delay in testing.

But what about the Nabp announcement and the poster above who had their test delayed??

.I’m appalled by NABP’s decision to suspend NAPLEX without any notice. I was scheduled to take the exam on Aug 25th. At 7:00 PM on Aug 24th, I get an automated message that NAPLEX has been suspended. Immediate calls to NABP went unanswered since they close offices at 5:00 PM. This is so unprofessional behavior from an association that prides itself in being highly professional. What are we supposed to do now? Lack of information is really frustrating. I could have been taking exam now instead of sulking at home and shooting this message. Why no warning was issued by NABP? Why cancel it over the weekend? Why there is no one to answer your questions despite NABP taking these drastic measures? If NABP was indeed planning on suspending exams since Aug 6th, why did they allow students to register for the exam? As for me, I had taken 3-weeks of unpaid time off to study. Took the pre-naplex. Now all that has gone down the drain. If somebody gets any additional information, please post..

.I’m appalled by NABP’s decision to suspend NAPLEX without any notice. I was scheduled to take the exam on Aug 25th. At 7:00 PM on Aug 24th, I get an automated message that NAPLEX has been suspended. Immediate calls to NABP went unanswered since they close offices at 5:00 PM. This is so unprofessional behavior from an association that prides itself in being highly professional. What are we supposed to do now? Lack of information is really frustrating. I could have been taking exam now instead of sulking at home and shooting this message. Why no warning was issued by NABP? Why cancel it over the weekend? Why there is no one to answer your questions despite NABP taking these drastic measures? If NABP was indeed planning on suspending exams since Aug 6th, why did they allow students to register for the exam? As for me, I had taken 3-weeks of unpaid time off to study. Took the pre-naplex. Now all that has gone down the drain. If somebody gets any additional information, please post..

Wow, I feel so bad for you! That is a terrible way for them to handle it. I had nothing but problems with the NABP and could never get answers from them, so I'm not surprised you are experiencing the same. I hope you get to test soon and if you took 3 weeks off to study, I have no doubt you'll pass without a problem :thumbup:

I had no idea this could happen, I would never have taken his class. You wouldn't think a class conducted by a professor of a respected SOP and endorsed and offered at your SOP and sponsored by your state pharmacy association would be causing such problems. I had no idea...

google Morris Cody, CA, pharmcist, discipline.

I think his open letter was published in the January 2005 issue of The Script, which is the publication of the CA State Board of Pharmacy.

He had someone, who is actually named in this issue, a pharmacist - who actually came back from the exam & emailed him actual test questions which he put in his "study materials" - stupid on everyone's part!

Morris Cody used to be a guru - somewhat like this guy is right now - in getting people passed on the exams who might be borderline (I had a graduate intern, licensed in another state take his course FOUR count them - FOUR times & take the exam FOUR times & couldn't pass. After four times, you have to take classes before you're allowed to sit for the exam again.) But - passing doesn't make you a good pharmacist if you've never really learned the material!!!!

Anyway - the guy is completely tainted now- paid a whole lot of money in fines - I think he's still doing review courses though. Buyer - beware!

But - who would hire this pharmacist??????? She's been "published"????

From what I understand from classmates at CVS, they use Morris Cody for their NAPLEX review sessions for new hires.

From what I understand from classmates at CVS, they use Morris Cody for their NAPLEX review sessions for new hires.

He got his hands slapped, paid a big fine, had his licensed put on probation & had to make a public apology - but, was not put out of business.

Poor pharmacist - Jennifer something.....didn't have the support of a corporation behind her...so, it will follow her forever.

Too bad - learn this stuff for yourself!!!!

I was supposed to take my NAPLEX on sept. 10th...but My district manager just emailed everyone today saying that the earliest tha NAPLEX will be offered is NOVEMBER 2007.
I really hope she's wrong. I have bills, mortgage, and student loans to pay. I really would love to blame someone, but dont know who to blame :mad:

I was supposed to take it on the same day actually! I haven't heard anything from my DM yet but if that's the case, that really sux!! I keep telling myself that everything happens for a reason! I just need to find out what this reason is =)

:thumbup:There are many people that would stand behind a class action lawsuit....Does anyone know an attorney that would be interested to take our case?

My test was set for 9/6, but now I won't be able to take it until 11/1. Luckily, the company I work for understands that this is out of my control. I am also having a hard time understanding NABP's urgency when the 'breach' has been occurring for years. My fiance is in law school & the first thing out of his mouth when I told him was "sue for lost wages".

I may have a lawyer that is interested in pursuing a class action case. He is a Pharmacist with a JD. I too recieved a phone call at 1730hrs on friday indicating the cancelation of my exam that was set for 9:00am on 8/27. I too have student loans that will matriculate in Nov. as well as a mortgage, and the topper being that my wife, who is on bed rest and can not work, and I are expecting the birth of our son on 11/09/07. This was an unexceptable measure that is going to not only affect me, but the profession as a whole. Poor forsight and poor management by NABP has put a tarnish on the profession.

Probably the only one worth anything to sue would be the college of pharmacy that this Flynn teaches at. And even then, you'd have to prove that the school knew what he was doing. And then you'd have to somehow find a way to prove that you'd pass the naplex if you took it when you were scheduled. You can't sue the NABP because they're doing this to "protect the public".

Not an easy case I'd imagine. As long as you can still work as an intern for 20-35 bucks an hour, might just be worth the hassle to accept that we'll all be taking the exam 2 months later than scheduled and getting paid half as much during those 2 months. Now on the other hand, if your employer fills the position with someone else and you're out of a job, that's when I might consider getting some legal advice. Because that's just messed up.