New Front Page Article - Clinical Rotations: Dealing With Conflict

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello everyone. A new article has been posted to the SDN Front Page - Clinical Rotations: Dealing With Conflict.

Here is a teaser from the article:

Nearly every medical student, at some point during training, will have a negative encounter with someone higher up on the ladder. One of the most difficult aspects of medical school is the vulnerability of medical students to criticism or disciplinary action due to these types of encounters. These situations can lead to the most dreaded of outcomes – a negative comment in your dean's letter or file.

Your skills in interacting with others will be put to the test not only with patients, but also with physicians and support staff. Oftentimes, a perceived offense to the ancillary personnel can be particularly damning, because physicians often have close relationships with these staff members.

Thanks,
zipmedic
Associate Editor-in-Chief
SDN Front Page

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way guys, never piss off your nurses. I got to talk to a few that help with residents in surgery and they have a great disdain for residents who show up their attendings at their expense. Just remember that they will probably be helping you out the most your intern year, so be nice!

a good article,

I agree with it completely. During 3rd year, random folks like surgical techs, were'nt always kind to me.

I have sometimes said a few things that were considered unprofessional, I haven't always been meek, so it has shown up in a few evals of me. I'm opnionated, had a life before medical school, and I speak my mind and so that didn't always help me.

And there were plenty of days that I just wanted to tell a resident or someone on the floor to "F" themself. But I didn't, but I sure wanted to.

Duck, a good point about the surgical techs. Of course, we're always in danger of contaminating their sterile field. ;)

It's funny that you posted this article because I'm only 2 days removed from being yelled at for making friendly conversation with the anesthesiologist during a surgery I wasn't even scrubbed in on (I was watching from where the anesthetists were). I'd say the article gives great advice in general and being friendly and polite to everyone was something I strove to do coming into my surgery rotation. Unfortunately, sometimes you'll encounter some people who don't necessarily feel the same way you do.

Unfortunately, sometimes you'll encounter some people who don't necessarily feel the same way you do.

And that's a painful reality. It seems there are some people who simply aren't interested in your presence; in these instances, it's best to fly as far below the radar as possible. Good luck with the rest of your rotations!

this article is spot on.

Don't believe the lies. They don't help you, and they don't like you.

Maybe they don't like you. I suspect nursing cooperation/assistance varies by location, but in my experience, nurses are very helpful so long as they are treated with the respect they deserve (and the occasional donut run. :D).

"...simply raging against the machine, while perhaps cathartic, is not the solution."

It would be nice if more people realized how much this applies to so many areas of life.

"...simply raging against the machine, while perhaps cathartic, is not the solution."

It would be nice if more people realized how much this applies to so many areas of life.

i think a lot of the points in general are things that everyone learns at their first post college job.

*respect everyone you work with no matter how lowly you think they are
*own up to your mistakes, but don't go overboard.
*no one wants to hear excuses, just do better next time
*report abuse/inappropriate conduct

I don't know why everyone expects that working in medicine has separate standards. Every job you step into without experience requires you to take the crap jobs that no one wants. You suck it up and do it because you have to. Get over it.

When I was in Medical School during a third year rotation, a male attending was examining an attractive female patient. This attending had a thing for photographing his patients in the nude. Then he’d cut the pictures up, put all the heads on different bodies, and post them in his office! He instructed me to talk to the woman and “convince her that having her picture taken is necessary to monitor her progress”. When I asked if this was true, the attending replied, “Hell, no! I just want to see if she shaves her c&*t!”. When I refused his order, he told me, “OK, but you’ll never match in anything next year!”. His words were truly prophetic. I sent out over two hundred applications to Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, and Pediatrics programs, never receiving so much as a reply from any of them.
When I related my problem to the Dean of Student Affairs at my school, the only thing she had to say was, “If an attending tells you he wants to f#@k you, your brother and your sister while your parents watch, you should reply, ‘Where do you want me to make the hotel reservations and what do you want room service to bring for breakfast the next morning?’”
Medical students are utterly at the mercy of school faculty. While a student is hardly ever expelled outright, the same result can be achieved by making it impossible for the student to find postgraduate training. Either way, the result is the same. You’ve wasted your time and money for no real objective. Any prospective medical student needs to consider if he or she has the stomach to eat s#(t if forced to do so by attendings on clinical rotations. I have an MD, from a mid-ranked US medical school, but my career as a physician ended before it began.

Frankly, I don't know why ANYONE smart and/or sane enough to get into medical school would willingly subject himself or herself to such abuse!

my friend wasnt the meek type.. He was kind of over bearing and didnt take kindly at all to people trying to intimidate him... I am like that too.. but i am more able to fake it.. ANyway long story short.. they kicked him out of school.. He had almost a 4.0 gpa.... for the first 2 years.. They made im take some psycho whatever test and said he wasnt fit for medicine..what bull****.. The guy was older too.. can you believe that.. really horrible.. and he couldnt sue either because you cant sue a state institution.. I look at it.. they did him a favor because medicine is not very fun

When I was in Medical School during a third year rotation, a male attending was examining an attractive female patient. This attending had a thing for photographing his patients in the nude. Then he’d cut the pictures up, put all the heads on different bodies, and post them in his office! He instructed me to talk to the woman and “convince her that having her picture taken is necessary to monitor her progress”. When I asked if this was true, the attending replied, “Hell, no! I just want to see if she shaves her c&*t!”. When I refused his order, he told me, “OK, but you’ll never match in anything next year!”. His words were truly prophetic. I sent out over two hundred applications to Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, and Pediatrics programs, never receiving so much as a reply from any of them.
When I related my problem to the Dean of Student Affairs at my school, the only thing she had to say was, “If an attending tells you he wants to f#@k you, your brother and your sister while your parents watch, you should reply, ‘Where do you want me to make the hotel reservations and what do you want room service to bring for breakfast the next morning?’”
Medical students are utterly at the mercy of school faculty. While a student is hardly ever expelled outright, the same result can be achieved by making it impossible for the student to find postgraduate training. Either way, the result is the same. You’ve wasted your time and money for no real objective. Any prospective medical student needs to consider if he or she has the stomach to eat s#(t if forced to do so by attendings on clinical rotations. I have an MD, from a mid-ranked US medical school, but my career as a physician ended before it began.

Frankly, I don't know why ANYONE smart and/or sane enough to get into medical school would willingly subject himself or herself to such abuse!

WOW....Pariah gets banned just for retelling a med school horror story? why in the world was that post ban-worthy?

The problem with the article is that it seems to assume that the conflict is the fault of the student. the more difficult situations come up when the abuse is totally 100% the fault of the school, and nobody is there to help the student. you end up with situations like those described above. students being essentially kicked out of medicine for refusing to commit a crime.

it is a sad state of affairs when students are faced with a choice of (A) engage in a conspiracy to abuse patients or (B) eat over $150,000 in debt and 3+ years of psychological abuse with nothing to show for it and no real ability to repay the debt.