ER books worth my time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RobbingReality

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What book(s) should I spend my time reading in preparation for my ER rotation?

Members don't see this ad.

What book(s) should I spend my time reading in preparation for my ER rotation?

I think it helps to have a good book to read at home, as well as a pocketbook for when you are on shift. Tarascon has a good pocketbook that will fit into scrub pockets. For reading, maybe one that specifically targets students would be good. I don't think that you need to read Tintinalli or Rosen, unless you have access already and have the time.

In addition, some institutions will have a reading packet for students. UCLA has a good one.

Haven't read the PIMP Protector (there goes honoring the SDN rotation...), but concise presentations--with pertinent positives and negatives--are key in EM. Also make sure you have a good top 3 list of differentials and that you're able to discuss them.

Good luck and PM if you have questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Emergency Medicine Secrets is concise enough that you will actually be able to read it in time for a single rotation and covers a lot of the high points. Even the Tintinalli Pocket book is too dense to be readable.

Nice plugs...

When I was a medical student way back in the the stone ages before google, I used to read "First Aid for Emergency Medicine." I found it had just enough info for me to grasp what was going on. Plus it was a good review for Step 2.

Of course, PIMP Protector wasn't even thought about at the time, but that would be a great book! :)

Q

I highly recommend Case Files Emergency Medicine and the use of the EMRA pocket guide and/or Tarascon's Pocket EM. Also, an EKG book (I like Garcia's "Introduction to 12-lead ECG, the art of interpretation") helps a lot.

I used the Case Files series for pretty much every clinical rotation and found them to be an easy-to-read solution to "reading about your patients" after a long shift.

any other suggestions for a surgery intern rotating through the ER for a month?

I hear that people like the NMS book (there are two, and I believe the smaller of the two is the favorite). I bought Tintinalli: Just the Facts. I know it's long, but I read fairly quickly.

I've heard good things about An Introduction to Clinical Emergency Medicine (ISBN: 0521542596 ). I've read the first 100 or so pages and have to say that it's really good.

I've heard good things about An Introduction to Clinical Emergency Medicine (ISBN: 0521542596 ). I've read the first 100 or so pages and have to say that it's really good.

hmm...i believe i gave a certain someone advice about this book... in fact i think that same certain someone may have a copy of that book with my name on it...

i agree... i like it a lot, it's perfect for a medical student; although i feel like it might be a little too simplistic for residency; still a good read, I managed to get through almost all of it i believe

hmm...i believe i gave a certain someone advice about this book... in fact i think that same certain someone may have a copy of that book with my name on it...

i agree... i like it a lot, it's perfect for a medical student; although i feel like it might be a little too simplistic for residency; still a good read, I managed to get through almost all of it i believe

Who could that be:confused: