BA/MD and BS/MD Programs FAQ

Depakote

Pediatric Anesthesiologist
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should I consider when applying to BA/MD or BS/MD (or BA/DO, BS/DO) Programs?

There are a variety of combined Baccalaureate-Doctorate programs, many of which offer acceptance to a medical school directly out of high school. There are some factors that you would like to consider when applying to these programs (or to medical school in general):

Length of the program:
Combined programs may be as short as 6-years or as long as the standard 8-years. The 6-7 year programs are may run full year round (typically are for 6-year) and may allow some of your medical school coursework to be applied towards your baccalaureate degree. If your program is accelerated, you will want to know how they reach that shorter time-span. What is cut? Are some courses combined (i.e. some places will combine Organic Chemistry I and Organic Chemistry II into a single semester)?

Another issue to consider along these lines is how long you will be at this school. You are deciding where you will be receiving your undergraduate and medical education. You could be spending 6-8 years in the same city at the same school, or you might be changing locations and schools completely after a few years. You'll want to be sure that you're going to be happy at every point in your education.

Composition of the program:
Is your program one that primarily accepts students from high school via the combined program or does the combined program represent a relatively small subset of the student body compared to the traditional 4 year track?

Workload:
You can count on your last 4 years of the program to be nearly identical to a standard 4 year medical program. If your program is shortened, this time will be primarily removed from the undergraduate portion of your education. A shorter program will require you to take a high number of credit hours immediately upon entering college (little time for transition). A longer program will give you more flexibility and generally more time to adjust to the demands of a college course-load.

The MCAT:
As a plus or a minus, some programs will not require you to take the MCAT. Others simply require you to achieve a certain minimum score. The pro side of this is that you do not have to spend a lot of time stressing over a major test when you're working on your classes in undergrad. The con side of this is when you are preparing for the USMLE steps I and II (the medical licensing exam that medical students take after their second year and in their fourth year) you do not have the experience to draw upon of having already worked your butt off to prepare for a major exam.

Ability to explore personal interests:
Some combined programs are designed in a way that they assure a student acceptance to medical school. All the student must do is maintain a certain academic standing (usually a certain GPA, maybe score XX on the MCAT as mentioned above). This allows the student significant flexibility to study what interests him or her during undergrad. A student in this situation doesn't need to worry about taking classes beyond pre-requisites and is free to major in whatever interests them. Other programs (particularly the more accelerated ones) have a set framework the student needs to follow in order to meet the accelerated timeline and do not offer as much flexibility. If you just care about medicine then this may not matter to you, if you wanted to major in something like philosophy or a foreign language, this is a question worth asking.

Early Patient Contact:

Many combined programs offer patient exposure starting from the first year. What sort of experience is this? How is it structured? How does it evolve in the later years of the program?

Presentation of Material:
Once you get to the Medical School portion of the curriculum, there are several ways the material may be presented. Some schools present the material in "Blocks". One Block you'll learn Biochem, everything there is to know about it and then you'll be done with it until you're studying for the USMLE. The next block, you might learn Anatomy, and the next neuro. You're totally concentrating on that one subject. Other schools have a "systems" or "organ" based curriculum. They start with an organ system like the respiratory system and learn everything about it, the anatomy, the biochemistry, the physiology, the path and the pharmacology. Once they've mastered that system, they move on. Some schools have completly moved to a newer system of learning called Problem Based Learning (see below). If you integrate information better by learning it in a specific way, you would want to know how your program is teaching it.

Problem Based Learning (PBL):
PBL is a relatively new style of presenting material. Many schools integrate in small weekly sessions, some schools use it as their primary means of presenting material. PBL is best for the self-motivated student. Students are given a simulated medical case, they ask questions and go through the case in an attempt to formulate a diagnosis, but this is not the primary goal. As they are doing this, the students identify items that they do not understand or do not know. Outside the PBL session, the students go and learn about these items and present what they have learned to their classmates. Some medical students find it very engaging and a good way to develop their diagnostic/critical thinking skills, others consider it a waste of time. If your program integrates PBL into the curriculum, it is a good idea to know how much, how frequently and how it is administered as this varies somewhat from school to school.

Anatomy Lab:
When you do reach the gross anatomy portion of your curriculum, working in gross lab is an invaluable. How does your program integrate the use of cadavers if it does at all? Do students dissect or do they view faculty dissected cadavers (proseciton)? How many students are assigned to one cadaver?

Clinical Sites:

This is one of the most important factors to consider. You want to know where you will be doing your rotations in your last two years of your program. Will you be in a place where you'll be able to be actively involved in the patient care or will you be doing mostly "scut" work (getting people coffee and the like)? How many different hospitals will you get to rotate through? Are these places you might want to work someday?

USMLE Pass Rates:
As mentioned above, you take the USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Exam) Step I following your second year of medical school. This is likely the biggest test you will ever take in your life. While individual scores depend more on how that person prepares for the test, it is perfectly appropriate to ask a school what its USMLE pass rate is. If you hear about a program that has trouble with its students passing the USMLE, this should be a red flag as the majority of US medical schools will sufficiently prepare their students to pass the USMLE.
Note: for Osteopathic Schools (DO), the equivalent exam is the COMLEX

Match Rates:

In your last year of medical school you will apply to match into a residency. You look at residencies and the residencies look at you. You rank a list of your favorite residencies and the residencies rank a list of their favorite candidates. A computer matches the candidates with the residencies using the rankings, trying to make as many people happy as possible. A common barometer of how schools perform is the percentage of students matching into one of their top three choices. Another would be the percentage of students that failed to match or had to "scramble". Scrambling means that none of the places they ranked picked them so the student has to call various residencies that still have openings and see if they can find a spot. If a school has a high number of people that did not get one of their top three and a high number of people that did not match or had to scramble, this would be a red flag.

Research:
Say you want to be a dermatologist, an orthopedic surgeon or some other very competitive specialty... when the match comes, it helps to have performed research in these fields. Many medical school applicants perform research as they are applying to medical school, any publications they make will follow them through their careers. What options are available to the students in your program? Note: many institutions have some research that students may take part in, your school does not have to be in the US News Top 20 in NIH funding for you to find something to work on.

Student Happiness:
This is something to ask about in many different places, but you want to know how happy the students are if you're going to be spending 6-8 years in this place. Visits to campus are helpful.

Attrition:
There may be a variety of reasons people may leave combined programs, but you'll want to look to make sure that people are leaving for the right reasons and that the attrition rate isn't excessively high. Some people get in and honestly realize that medicine isn't right for them, that's fine. Some people are there because their parents made them, fine for them to leave. But if someone is leaving due to problems with the program and still fully intend to pursue medicine. That's a problem. You'll want to know how many people leave the program or wind up not graduating on time. If these seem too high, they probably are.

What happens if you leave?
On the same note as above, many people leave these programs. There are questions you will want to ask about students that leave the program should you decide to leave. Should you decide to leave, what choice will you have had in your major? Are you going to have one that you enjoyed and will be able to apply to a career outside of medicine or will it be one that the program picked for you? What about applying to other medical schools after leaving? When do you officially "matriculate" into the medical school aspect of the program? If you are applying to medical schools down the line, it may be much more difficult to gain entry if you have officially matriculated into a medical school previously.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I was a member of one of the 8-year "pre-acceptance" type medical track programs. I attended college and graduated in the traditional 4 years, and then attended medical school for 4 years after that. My program wasn't a "fast track" program; I had plenty of time in college to take the classes I wanted, major in what I wanted (I got a BA in a liberal arts major program) and still fit in all of my med school's science prerequisites. I also had plenty of time to do things like be in the marching band all 4 years and become an active member of Alpha Phi Omega, which is a national Co-ed service fraternity. I was also able to take several Medical Humanities classes during college, and I believe those classes contributed greatly to the way I practice medicine.

Of course, programs like these aren't for everyone, but all in all, I'm very grateful to have been a part of my program because of the opportunities it gave me. Below is a general overview I wrote to help explain what these programs are all about.

Q: What are these "pre-acceptance" and "fast track" medical school programs I've heard about?

A: There are, indeed, some programs out there that provide provisional early acceptance to medical school (by early acceptance, I mean while you're a senior in high school), but take the same about of time to finish (8 years total). There are also some programs that combine college and medical school into a shortened time block (like 6 or 7 years total instead of the traditional 8 years for both).

The idea behind the 8-year "pre-acceptance" programs is that, by giving you provisional acceptance to medical school, the stress of getting into med school is reduced, and so you're more likely to end up with a more well-rounded college education because of it. You're more likely to take some liberal artsy type classes, do things like music and art because you enjoy them, more likely to take some ethics or medical humanities classes, etc. Essentially, you aren't so nervous about getting into med school that you end up spending all your time in science classes. The theory is that people who have gotten a nice, well-rounded education (from class AND from various extracurricular activities) make great doctors.

So here's how it works, based on how most programs do things. When you're a senior in high school, if you meet certain criteria, you can apply for the program (for example, there may be an SAT score cutoff, and you may also have to already be accepted to the University/College). So you fill out an application, and then you may or may not be called to interview. Some programs have two rounds of interviews: the first round at the University, and second round at the Medical School. If you do well in that first round of interviews, you may get called back to the second round of interviews. From the interviews, it is decided who will be invited to join the program, and hence offered "provisonal acceptance" to the medical school.

"Provisional Acceptance" means that yes, you are accepted to medical school, as long as you continue to meet some criteria during college. All schools will require you to take all of the Medical School prerequisite classes (biology, physics, chemistry, some math, etc), and often there is a set GPA you must maintain (anywhere from 3.25 to 3.5 or so). My program's GPA requirement was somewhat low (3.25) so that we weren't afraid to take challenging classes for fear of losing our spot in the program.

Now, for the MCAT...at some programs, there is no specific MCAT score requirement. Other programs may have a score cutoff...it just depends on the program.

Some of these programs also have scholarships for one or more of the accepted applicants.

In the 8-year programs, after you graduate from college and then continue on to med school. In all of these programs, as far as I know, the requirements during medical school are the exact same for the baccalaureate/MD grads as for the traditional grads. The main differences between these "pre-acceptance" programs and getting into med school the traditional way is mostly evident during college. In other words, once you start med school, you suddenly become a small fish in a big pond! The swimming can be tough at times, but in the end it's all worth it! :D

Last edited:
What is it like to interview for medical school as a high school student? What will I be asked?

Answer: Interviews for combined degree programs share some similarities with regular medical school interviews, but have some differences. Here are some of these:

Similarities: In both cases, you will likely have a 1 on 1 interview with at least one member of an admissions committee. You will usually go to the school on a set day, tour the school and hear about it, and do interviews. You will be expected to "dress up" for an interview – sports coat and ties for boys (a suit is nice but not needed) and dress clothes for girls. No Jeans, t-shirts, midriffs and go easy on the piercings!

You will be expected discuss the things that you put on your essays about why you want to go to that school and why you wish to become a physician. Depending on the school, you may be asked about your choice of an undergrad or the interview could focus on the medical school aspects. You will be asked to discuss your high school activities, volunteering and any shadowing you have done. Remember that you MAY be asked about anything you put on your application

Differences: In general, admissions committee members who interview high school students for medical school programs are experienced at these interviews and recognize the differences between high school and college students. You will not be expected to have the number and type of standard pre-med experiences that would have been typical for college students. You will be more likely to be asked somewhat general questions about your interest in science, the types of things you like to read, and about your non-scientific activities in school. You are more likely to be asked about your family – who else is in medicine? There is NOT a correct answer to this. Just tell the truth about yourself and your background.

What to practice? As with any other applicant, admissions committee members are looking for your maturity, your understanding of what you are trying to do and for evidence that you are likely to stick with this program.

They will recognize that your answers are not as polished as those of students who are finishing college.

PRACTICE giving answers to questions like:

"When did you first decide you wanted to go to medical school?"

"What about a combination program especially appeals to you?"

"What are your favorite books (or most recently read non-school book) and why?"

"Who has talked with you about medical school and what did you learn from them about it?"

What to avoid:

Do not indicate that you want to do one of these programs just so you can be sure of getting into med school.

Do not speak informally to your interviewer. Practice sounding as mature as you can – avoid any slang expressions.

Do not panic if you don't have an answer to a question. Just say "I'm not really sure, but I'll think about it/look it up."

Although you will be nervous, have someone practice with you avoiding things like "twirling your hair" and fidgeting.

Practice making eye contact. Then practice it some more and work on your speaking skills with someone who is willing to give you honest feedback. No one wants to spend half an hour talking to someone who won't look at them or mumbles into the ground.

Do not insult ANY school. Don't try to say that you want into this program because other programs are not good.

Do not spend excessive time or energy working on your appearance. Look nice, but be yourself. We want you to be neat, but otherwise don't care much about appearance.

Make sure you can explain why you want to be a physician without using the word "interesting."

Do not waste time explaining away one bad grade or your first SAT score that wasn't as good as you'd have liked. If you are interviewing for our program, we believe you are smart enough to succeed.

What makes a strong interviewee?

Above all, we are looking for your passion for medicine and for your maturity. We know you are about 18 years old, but even at that age, we believe we can learn something from what you say and how you say it. Tell us your story – what makes you unique? Why will you ENJOY going into medicine? If you have done music or sports, tell us how committed you can be to what you do. We'll understand that you are telling us that you can transfer this commitment to your medical studies. If you've traveled somewhere unique or done anything special – describe it and be proud, but not boastful, about it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Probably one of the best threads I've ever read.

Which schools offer BA/MD or BS/MD programs?

According to the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), the following schools offer combined BS/MD programs (the length of these programs is not specified on the AAMC site, user help is requested in filling-in the specific details about each of these programs):

University of Alabama School of Medicine
Albany Medical College
University of Florida College of Medicine
George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Howard University College of Medicine
Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University
University of Kentucky College of Medicine
University of Miami School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
The Ohio State University College of Medicine
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
UMDNJ--New Jersey Medical School
Wayne State University School of Medicine
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
University of South Florida College of Medicine
Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University
The Texas A & M University System Health Science Center College of Medicine
East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen College of Medicine
Ponce School of Medicine
Dalhousie University Faculty of Medicine
Drexel University College of Medicine
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
University of Nevada School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
Boston University School of Medicine
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
Stony Brook University Health Sciences Center School of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry
University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine
University of California, San Diego, School of Medicine
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Northwestern University, The Feinberg School of Medicine
Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine (6-year)

Known BA/MD programs:
University of Missouri- Kansas City (6-year)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Is there anyway you can tell us which schools offer 6 year combined programs?

We haven't located a source that has that information listed for all of the programs. As users learn this information - through program websites, talking to schools, or through others - I expect that we will be filling in the information. If you know the length of any programs, you can help us and others by sharing here.

Of course, as any of us learn more, we will continue to fill in the blanks.

I'm happy to see that you found your way here, metalhead!

I've been picking through these websites that the AAMC linked (they are the bs/md programs they have listed).

Northwestern University HPME
Northwestern University, Feinberg School of Medicine; This school according to their website offers a combined program. This schools program says you can goto 1 of 3 colleges for your undergraduate degree Weinberg College, School of Communication, or McCormick School. If you choose to take your undergraduate degree in Weinberg College it seems that you have the option of a 7-8 year program. I could not personally find how long it would take you if you goto their School of Communication. Lastly if you goto McCormick School it will take 7-8 years to finish the program. Lets note that what I mean it will take 7-8 years is that it will take 3-4 years to finish your B.S. or B.A. and then 4 years for Medical School. (also note this school recommends in some cases you spend 4 years on you B.S. or B.A. instead of 3.

University of Cincinnati DAP
College of Medicine, University of Cincinnati; This school it seems from what I have read on the website is just a dual-acceptance program. What I mean here is when your let into the program it still takes 8 years.

MSU
Michigan State University; This school has a combined program I linked the page I did not read this page because I found it gave me a headache.

University of Connecticut CPiM

University of Connecticut School of Medicine; This schools page being one of the most informational I think deliberately does not disclose how long the program takes because if they give a number students will be mad if they need to take longer.

University of Nevada School of Medicine

University of Nevada School of Medicine; This school offers a 7 year program to get a B.S. and a M.D. I like this one its straight forward.

I am going to research more but this made me tired and I need to play some video games.

Baylor University/Baylor College of Medicine also offer an 8 year baccalaureate/MD program...I'm not sure why it's not on the AAMC's list.

http://www.baylor.edu/Prehealth/index.php?id=36430

the only two 6-year programs I know of are U. of Missouri- Kansas City and the North Eastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine programs

Since I compiled a list of my own I figured I should include these. Thanks for the help guys we can do this together! lol

No problem, but I haven't finished yet. But, seeing as this is a W.I.P. I figured I could take my time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now that I've started researching these schools I thought I should put up this information. Please keep in mind this is a work in progress and this extra stuff I will edit out. Some information I post is for my personal reference until completed.

University of Alabama: No website information found. Sent an e-mail to get information.

Albany Medical College: Albany Medical College and Union College offer a joint program letting qualified students earn a BS/MS/MBA and a MD in eight years. You do not get the MD degree until you complete all requirments at both schools. Sources: AMC Special Programs, LIM

University of Florida College of Medicine: To get acepted into this BS/MD program you must apply your second year of college. Designed for University of Florida students. Once accpeted it takes you 7 years to get your BS/MD including first two years.
Average college GPA 3.94
Average SAT score 1469
Sources: JHMP

George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences:
I want to note that at first glance you can tell that George Washington prides their minority students, and seems to goto extra lengths to accept them into their programs. Very, Very little information of George Washington University School of Medicine's BS/MD program but I confirmed it is designed for Honors High School Students. Also this program takes 7 years to complete. Sources: Joint Degree Programs

Howard University College of Medicine: I have to send an e-mail to [email protected] or call (202) 806-2700.

Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University:
The AAMC tricked me it would seem that Thomas Jefferson University offers the undergraduate education in the BS/MD program however this is false Penn State offers a 2-3 year BS then upon completion you are able to attend Jefferson Medical College. Sources: JMC Programs

University of Kentucky College of Medicine:
Even though I find Kentucky very unappealing to live in, I think I will apply to this program it seems like one of the best fits for me. Seven years. Seems to support the idea of Reasearch in Med school.
* High School Grade Point Average: 3.89
* ACT Average: 33
* SAT Average: >/=1250
Statistics taken from entering undergraduate class of 2007
Sources: Pathways to a MD

University of Miami School of Medicine: I found these three sites I need to thumb through.
---
http://ww3.med.miami.edu/students/index.asp
---
http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,2600-1;31843-3,00.html
---
http://www6.miami.edu/UMH/CDA/UMH_Main/1,1770,2600-1;31865-3,00.html

Meharry Medical College: I need to contact Meharry.

The Ohio State University College of Medicine: Seems to be lots of loops to jump through to get into this program. 7 years. Sources: EAP

This is all the programs I have researched so far.

Nice work, metalhead!

Just wanted to add 3 programs to the list:

Rice/BCM
Texas Pan AM/BCM
University of Houston/BCM

I believe that all three of these are 8 year programs.

Jefferson Medical College of Thomas Jefferson University: The AAMC tricked me it would seem that Thomas Jefferson University offers the undergraduate education in the BS/MD program however this is false Penn State offers a 2-3 year BS then upon completion you are able to attend Jefferson Medical College. Sources: JMC Programs

Jefferson doesnt have an undergraduate school. They offer only graduate studies (except for nursing and technical programs)

Maybe some should stick this thread ? :cool:

I'd like to add a BS-BA/DO program:

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine

One more program which is great: SLU Medical Scholars....

... http://www.slu.edu/colleges/AS/phs/medScholars.html

I am senior at Saint Louis University in the program and I love it. If anyone has any questions about the program or wants more info on it, I'd be more than willing to help.

Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine allows 6-7 years for the program. In my experience (now an attending for 3 years) there was a bit of a stigma against taking the "3rd year" of undergrad at some of the undergrad institutions whereas at others almost the entire class took a 3rd year. The reason I didn't were the upper level science requirements during that 3rd year...too much science to pursue something like an MPH so I just did 6 years and got my MPH that I still wanted as part of a fellowship. Honestly I don't know much about what's going on with the curriculum now, I'm sure there are others here with much more information, but a vote from an alum...

Best of luck.

does anyone have or can create one of those selection indexes for BA/BS/MD programs like the one that I attached?

You can choose whether to do a 6 or 7 year prog. if you get into Penn State's program with Jefferson Medical School

Last edited by a moderator:
MONMOUTH UNIVERSITY also has a bs/md program with drexel medical school. its an 8 year medical program. you have to have a 3.5 by the end of your junior year and a 29 on the mcats. applicants have to go through 3 interviews, one at the school, one at monmouth medical center, and the last a drexel med school.

I'm just wondering, since I heard that if a person applies to an accelerated program, and get rejected, then they follow the normal undergraduate path, they will have a decreased chance of getting into that school/ if one cannot get into accelerated, they cannot get into med.

Is that true?

I'm just wondering, since I heard that if a person applies to an accelerated program, and get rejected, then they follow the normal undergraduate path, they will have a decreased chance of getting into that school/ if one cannot get into accelerated, they cannot get into med.

Is that true?

That would absolutely not be true for my program and I'm doubtful it would be true at most programs or really at any. The accelerated programs can usually only take a very small number of people. Schools would not have any reason or desire to bias against people who didn't make that cut when they apply at the usual time.

Don't believe everything you hear.;)

Just to add to the above.

Based on personal experience, I can tell you that the standard 4-year medical school admissions track cares very little about your what you did prior to college (this includes your college applications).

The most you'll get is a question about why you picked whichever undergrad institution you attended (to see what qualities you were looking for in a school).
Some schools will ask for your SAT/ACT scores but they maintain that this is for data-tracking only and not used in the decision making process.

Don't worry about what schools/programs you did or didn't get into based on your HS academic record . Med schools will be judging your collegiate academic record and making that decision for themselves.

Patelakshar, Can you tell us about the SLU Program? What is SLU Undergrad like? What if you are not Christian? What was the med interview like for you- were you or any classmates worried or not accepted to the med school part? Did you study a lot for the MCAT? Did the score really not matter??

One thing high school students interviewing for combined programs should keep in mind is how important the interview is. Speaking to the admissions department at a couple of schools I frequently have heard that 99% of high school students who interview are absolutely terrible at it. Remember that the same admissions people at some schools do both combined program and regular medical school admissions, and in comparison to the college students HS students seem grossly unprepared for their interview.

Given this fact doing well at your interview can give you a real leg up if you just follow a few simple rules:

1) Maintain eye contact: You would be amazed by the number of high school interviewees who spend their 15 mins to shine staring at the ground. That indicates a lack of confidence or inattention. Look people straight in the eye the whole time. It may seem like "staring" but most people really like it.

2) Smile: Do not be all humdrum during your interview. Be enthusiastic, add inflection to your voice (especially for guys). And definitely smile and try to relax

3) Do not mumble: Speak clearly and confidently. If you are caught off-guard by a question do not stammer. Take your time to consider the question and then give a well-thought out answer

4) Expect certain questions: Every single interviewer is going to want to know why you want to a combined program. You should have a good reason already (otherwise I would personally advise you to forgo interviewing!) but think it out a little before so you can speak confidently about it.

Finally when not in interviews, show personality and interact with the other HS students, staff, and the medical students you may see. You would be amazed how much of an impression that makes.

Case Western Reserve University offers a pre-professional scholars program that grants a conditional acceptance to medical school along with acceptance to the undergraduate school if you maintain a certain undergraduate GPA. The MCAT is not required, but if you do take it, you need a certain score. The medical program is an 8-year program.

Case also offers the pre-professional scholars program for other professional schools as well (dentistry, law, and social work).

The University of Toledo has the MedStart Program. It's more of an early assurance program than a traditional BS/MD program, but it's worth mention (you apply during your junior year of undergrad)

An overall undergraduate GPA of 3.7 or higher with a science GPA of 3.5 or higher at the time of application is strongly recommended.

An ACT score of 29 or higher or an SAT score of 1250 or higher is strongly recommended.

MCAT is not required.

more info in the link above.

(It doesn't say anything about needing to be a state resident, but this might be only for Ohio residents)

hey depakote,
i am going to be a rising junior and I wanted to know if you have any more info on the MEDStart Program e.g. admissions, interview, when to submit application, etc...

I am pretty sure I will be called for an interview as can be seen by the Bowling Green Premedical Webpage (it says that one is guaranteed to recieve an interview if an applicant has a 3.7 GPA, 1250 SAT).. my stats are above that

http://go2.bgsu.edu/choose/academics/majors/?guide=PREM

i wanted to know what is expected of applicants to the MEDStart program during the interview

Basically any info you can give on the MEDStart Program I know will help me a lot. Thanks!

i wanted to know what is expected of applicants to the MEDStart program during the interview

Basically any info you can give on the MEDStart Program I know will help me a lot. Thanks!

I responded to your PM with more info

as for the interview... I would plan on it being like a standard med school interview. You'd probably want to browse the UTCOM med school interview feedback to get a feel for what the interview would be like... there might even be some MEDStart interviews in there.

hey depakote,

i dont know much about the MEDStart program that you want to apply to, but I had an interview tip that worked great for me.

I applied to and was accepted into the BS/MD program at UM, and before my interview, I made a powerpoint presentation that basically highlighted my resume, but instead of just text on a page, it was on a nice colored background and gave more information than what I could type on my resume (i.e. on my resume i put that I researched at Florida Hospital for 3 months, and on the powerpoint I devoted a slide to what I actually saw and did there)

So it came to about 15 slides, I printed it and had it bound at Kinko's or any other copy store in your area (cost about $3) and I gave it to my interviewer, and the Dean of the Medical School before I left. My interviewer said he really liked it, and that it made me stand out among the rest of the interviewers and it showed my determination to be in the program. The next day I got an email from the dean (i put my email on the book) and he said that he doesnt get to know the students he selects and he just has to go on what the interviewer says and our essay/resume...but I provided him with a great personal introduction to myself and that he really appreciated it...just a thought and hope it helps good luck

Hi, I just found this thread and it was amazingly helpful! thank you!

I just wanted to add some input. My eldest sister attempted to go to medical school in the traditional route, but it has been wildly difficult. She accrued a degree in biology at John's Hopkins after doing pre-med at the university. Currently she is exploring some other facets of her life because she was rejected from the med schools she had applied to. My second eldest sister is attending Sophie Davis School of Biomedical Education. It's part of CUNY and is a 7 year bs/md program that is affiliated with several medical schools such as Albany Med and NYU Med. The main draw back, for me, is that the school is situated in Harlem. Then again, Case Western is in a difficult area as well, so I shouldn't complain.

I am the fourth girl to attempt to become a doctor (my mother is currently in medical school), but I think I may want it more than anyone in my family.

I found this site: http://www.acceleratedmd.com/index_files/Medical_Programs_State.htm
which I thought was pretty useful.

Good Luck!

University of Connecticut CPiM
University of Connecticut School of Medicine; This schools page being one of the most informational I think deliberately does not disclose how long the program takes because if they give a number students will be mad if they need to take longer.
First of all, I've been a lurker for awhile (no account) as I am a high school senior in CT interested in the medical field.

Anyway, just wanted to clarify this one. UConn's combined program is EXTREMELY selective (maybe 10-35ish out of 500 get in a year) but comes with perks such as honor's housing, etc.

It's a 6 year program and comes in two flavors. One for Medicine and one for Dental.

Are you sure its 6 years, what are the average stats needed

Are you sure its 6 years, what are the average stats needed
I went to one of their medical seminars for prospective students. It is indeed.

Basically, the one thing the guy kept mentioning is what's in this thread already. They want people who know they want to become a doctor and want to represent UConn proudly.

The one statistical term he kept dropping was having at least a 3.5GPA minimum.

Has anyone done Drexel's BS/MD program? I got something in the mail that says it'll give me an answer in 4 weeks...but I was checking their site and it says admission to the medical school isn't guaranteed (isn't that defeating the purpose of a 7 year program? :lame:) so I wanted some first-hand info...and I also hear the campus is basically a building.

From what i see on google sattelite and street view photos it looks like a campus. go to google maps and paste this adress
3141 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104-2876
USA

Actually it is kind of a building. really small looking campus

Last edited:
As I was reading through this thread, I noticed that no one really responded to one of the original questions: What courses are dropped in accelerated programs? Does anyone know the answer? Or are no coursed dropped?

As I was reading through this thread, I noticed that no one really responded to one of the original questions: What courses are dropped in accelerated programs? Does anyone know the answer? Or are no coursed dropped?

I'm going to the NSU/NSU-COM BS/DO program. In the 7 year program you dropped 30 credits. You just complete your gen-ed requirements and biology major core.

Usually, non-major electives and some amount of major electives are dropped. Some programs may require you actually take summer classes but I think the vast majority just drop enough classes so that they can omit a year if it's a 7 year program.

It depends on the program.

IIRC, both the UMKC and NEOUCOM 6-year programs don't drop credit hours, you still complete ~120 undergrad hours on top of the 4 year MD degree.

I would assume that many 3+4 programs are similar. I would suggest you check with the individual programs you're interested in applying to to be certain.

UIC has the GPPA program for medicine, pharmacy, etc. (8 years for med and pharm).

we have no gen ed requirements, so just the med school requirements and the major core classes, and we also get 30 credits from med school, so we need a total of 90 after 3 years, coming in with X amounts of credits even lightens the load more

hi, i recently got offered an interview for GWU's 7 year program. i liked the post further up there with tips and possible interview questions, and i would like some more if possible... what are some more commonly asked questions at ba/md program interviews? should i bring a resume? i need as much help as i can get because i'm flying into washington dc from across the country --> spending a bunch of $$$
it'd be great if someone who had a GWU or other ba/md program interview themselves could answer this!
thanks!

Hi! I'm in my last year of high school and I'm hoping to apply for medicine this year. May I know if the BA-MD programmes accept international students?

I think most of them require you to be a Permanent Resident of US or Canada. The only one that does is Brown but that is highly competitive