$300 and 2 books...what would you get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MaxDesMer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an R1 at my program we can buy 2 EM Textbooks, plus we get $300 towards other books and resources.

How would you spend this money? What 2 EM books would you get?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like we are in a very similar situation since I have the same book money as you....For my big two books I purchased Harwood-Nuss and "the procedure package" (Roberts and Hedges plus a color procedure atlas). With the 300 I purchased the color atlas of EM, the EM and pharm tarascon little books, EM secrets, First Aid step III book, a Minor Emergencies book, and an EKG book.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like we are in a very similar situation since I have the same book money as you....For my big two books I purchased Harwood-Nuss and "the procedure package" (Roberts and Hedges plus a color procedure atlas). With the 300 I purchased the color atlas of EM, the EM and pharm tarascon little books, EM secrets, First Aid step III book, a Minor Emergencies book, and an EKG book.

He's one of ours, hence "same" situation. Anways...I ended up buying Robert's and Hedges and the Color atlas for my large books since I already have a Tint. I used the rest of my money on my subsciption to Pepid (which I think is awesome to have as a daily reference). I've also spent some money on EM secrets (which is awesome for the inservice exam), Garcia's EKG book: Art of 12 Lead Interpretation (one of the best books I've read), and "Accident and Emergency Radiology" (great book for plain films).

what do you mean awesome for the inservice exam, I thought you got a 58?

Most places and ED's have both hedges and the basic books.

I would get the garcia EKG books. I would get Color atlas of emergency medicine. Both books not readily accessed in the ED, easy to read, and incredibly high yield.

I would get Color atlas of emergency medicine.

I just opened this one for the first time the other day. It's great. I'm going to have to buy one now, dammit.

Take care,
Jeff

I have been hearing good things about the Carol Rivers board review book.

I just opened this one for the first time the other day. It's great. I'm going to have to buy one now, dammit.

Take care,
Jeff

Yeah. I love this one. Great photos. easy to read. very very applicable to EM. Its not exhaustive but its really good.

Re carol rivers:
Have never really liked this but its because I am not an outline book person. I have friends who love it.

You have access to Roberts and Hedges online via MD Consult with the library online access, that's why I didn't use my book money on that. Rosen's, and a bunch of other great books as a matter of fact, are also available via MD Consult.

I did end up going with Rivers' and the flashcards with the $300 because an attending "mentor" literally swore by it and I like them a lot. I also got one of the color atlas' (but feel ripped off since I bought it before I knew there was a package with R&H) and Harwood Nuss as my 2 books. I never bought Pepid because for some reason the trial version on my Treo never expired but I don't find myself using it at all because I started to bring my baby Tint "Emergency Medicine Manual" and I find that much more useful as a quick reference.

Last edited:
where can you buy this roberts/hedges and atlas package?

so i am in just starting out...and the program supplied us with tintinalli. where can I also get the robert and hedge package with the color atlas. also any other rec on books. (tintanalli is great, but its a reference and hard to take/ go read)...thanks

I love the Greenberg atlas (I presume that's the one you are referencing)... but I like books with pretty pictures. Once I saw it, I had to have it. It's the best coffee table book ever.

I also have the Garcia EKG book- because of this forum - and it's an excellent addition. I also got the Wells Eye manual, which is what the optho residents carry around. There's a DDx section in the front that I really like.

FWIW, the tarascon PedsEM book comes in a palm format. While it isn't the best format, I do carry my palm everyday, where the pocket books stay in the bag. (Since I trained at the place the author works, we all lived by the yellow book - athough the 4th ed just came out and it's silver.) I am waiting for the main on to be on the palm, because it's the best single on-the-go reference I've ever used.

time for a thread resurrection

My program gives us $250 for books and already gave us a copy of Tintinalli's. I am torn between Carol River's, PEER VIII when it comes out in October, or other assorted books (First Aid EM Boards, 5-Minute Clinical Consult). I prefer having a review-style book that I can outline over the next three years but I've also heard amazing things about PEER. Thoughts/recommendations?

I got a copy of Rosetta Stone prior to graduation.
Can't hurt.