Holiday Cheer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lalzi22

The OSU CVM c/o 2014!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is that lovely time of year again when people are being denied interviews, starting to receive rejections, and just plain old nervous! So, since we are all nerds at heart (hello, we are science people...its fine), I thought I would share with you all what I will be making tonight while it snows outside:

http://notsohumblepie.blogspot.com/2009/11/biology-cookies-petri-dish.html

Hope this warms everyone's nerdy heart! :D

Members don't see this ad.

i'm more nervous about failing (or getting a D) in biochemistry that would make any interviews, acceptances, etc invalid. BUT i do love those petri dish cookies...what a fantastic idea! you should post pictures of yours!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I love you.

No but really, that's such an awesome idea. I frost cakes whenever it's my friends' birthdays, I may have to add cookies to my repertoire.

That is so cool! My first streak plate had almost no growth after the 2nd streaks... I didn't wait for my loop to cool and ended up frying all my bacteria lol

awesome idea!

first snow of the season here :D its beautiful

I love it!!!! Now you just have to package them in a real petri dish!!! Reminds me of my microbiology days!! :D or :(

That's such a great idea!!! I'd have to overcome a few heavily-ingrained habits to let that pattern anywhere near my mouth, but that would be part of the fun. Perhaps I shall make some for my fellow science people. Thank you for sharing :)

lalzi could you share your recipe for the cookies?? please??

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Rolled-Sugar-Cookies/Detail.aspx

that is for the cookies.

for the frosting, you use 2 egg whites beaten with 3 cups of powdered sugar. Take a bit more than half of the frosting and add 4 drops of yellow food coloring. keep the rest white. put it in a frosting thing so you can squeeze it out (you can use a ziplock bag with a TINY hole cut in the corner), and draw on the design after the cookies have cooled.

they are actually DELISH cookies. pics will come tomorrow. SO proud of myself! :D

These cookies are awesome. A family friend of ours is having a cookie party next weekend. I should make some of these although I am not quite sure they would appreciate them as much as all of us science nerds.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the concept would be lost on most. ;)

I made the cookies tonight and NO ONE in my sorority house got it except my little...who works in a microbio lab. Granted it IS a sororoity house, so there is a lack of science majors, but still...a little upsetting

*wrinkles nose*
Eww, what is THAT? Snow? Wouldn't a Christmas tree have been easier? And what's WITH that yellow background color? Ew.
*flips hair and leaves*

*wrinkles nose*
Eww, what is THAT? Snow? Wouldn't a Christmas tree have been easier? And what's WITH that yellow background color? Ew.
*flips hair and leaves*

haha heyyyy! I'm a sorority girl and I'm not dumb. We aren't ALL like that. It's just they aren't science majors. They are all Psych and English and Engineering and Accounting. Apparently math is cooler than science....AS IF! But they all know I'm a big fat nerd and they love me for it :horns:

I sent that link to my wife. One of her favorite sayings is "support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have".

I sent that link to my wife. One of her favorite sayings is "support bacteria, it's the only culture some people have".

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Rolled-Sugar-Cookies/Detail.aspx

that is for the cookies.

for the frosting, you use 2 egg whites beaten with 3 cups of powdered sugar. Take a bit more than half of the frosting and add 4 drops of yellow food coloring. keep the rest white. put it in a frosting thing so you can squeeze it out (you can use a ziplock bag with a TINY hole cut in the corner), and draw on the design after the cookies have cooled.

they are actually DELISH cookies. pics will come tomorrow. SO proud of myself! :D

thank you so much! not that i need a recipe for delicious/fun cookies to distract me during finals.

For the love of anything, I cannot figure how to insert a pic of my cookies:(

when you click "reply" and the message box pops up, do you see the little yellow box with mountains? have you tried that and it's just not working? or is it something else?

If you host them on a site (flickr, ummm... any other photo hosting site... I think I've had my domain too long as I can't think of any) then just use the little "mountains with sun" button above the message, and put the URL in there.

Yea, its not a URL. It's on FB and my comp, and it wont let me upload from the comp...oh well. They look just like the pic from the website and are SUPER yummy

You can go to the picture on FB, right click, go to 'properties,' copy the URL of the picture from there, and then put it in the box that pops up with the 'mountain' button here. That should work, I think.

13350_655996181312_8117020_38056228_7514977_n.jpg

13350_655995876922_8117020_38056226_2562656_n.jpg

mmmmm!!! they look delicious! nice streak-method and isolated colonies! lol

i might make my cookies look like e. coli on an EMB plate for christmas!!!

awesome idea!

first snow of the season here :D its beautiful

First snow was back in October here of course it was very little. But now we have a blizzard warning tomorrow through tuesday (Anywhere between 1-2 feet of snow). But if you take a 2 hour drive south the temperature goes up 30-40 degrees and you are in the middle of the desert surrounded by cacti. I love Arizona it is so diverse in its climate and elevation.

Those cookies look awesome!!! These aren't nearly as nerdy cool, nor are the at all holiday cool, but i usually make my fruit salads in whales:

well... this one's an Oscar the Whale that I made for the Coatis

oscar1-1.jpg

oscar2-1.jpg

And I wanted to make a whale for the lab bbq, but the watermelon was too small so I made a Carly the Seal:

carly-1.jpg
carly2-1.jpg

Oh man...I was all set to make bacteria cookies when I realized one little detail...I have no food coloring :(

I'll have to pick some up ad try that.

That whale is awesome too...I'm jealous of creative people!

So, no baking for me tonight. I should probably go find my dog....I put her outside a while ago and she's been off playing in the snow. She LOVES winter, and this is our first big snowfall. She picks up clumps of ice and tosses them in the air like tennis balls, then puts her nose down and just runs through the powder. It's hilarious! She's gonna be soaked when she finally gets tired and decides to come inside!

Holy bejesus! That whale is AWESOME!! I can't wait to be a vet nerd adult and bring that to a block party or something! WOW!

Oh my yes. I work in a Microbiology lab - guess who's boss is getting petri cookies for Christmas?? :D

Thanks for sharing the idea and the recipe - they look delish!