UNECOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got the secondary this morning.

2000 characters max per question

1. Describe your particular interest in attending the UNE-COM and any contact you have had with UNE-COM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?
2. Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes/additions in education, employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS application.
3. Please explain any academic difficulties you encountered during your academic career. What insight or knowledge have you gained from these experiences that you will bring to your studies at UNE-COM?
4. Describe how you see the role of physicians in society (outside the direct practice of medicine). What experiences have you had that demonstrate your readiness to meet these future role expectations?

A DO letter is strongly recommended and the app fee is $55.

They also ask what schools you are applying too. Not sure if anyone cares but I thought it was interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Woohoo the secondary is done....now if I could only get my committee letter to move along I would be all set.

I am having major problems coming up with an answer to the fourth essay question.

4. Describe how you see the role of physicians in society (outside the direct practice of medicine). What experiences have you had that demonstrate your readiness to meet these future role expectations?

If we can't talk about us practicing medicine, what separates us from your average citizen? I have one thing I can write about for a small paragraph. That's it. Other than that, I don't see what role we have besides being responsible for the public's health (which, again, we can't talk about in this essay because that involves our "direct practice of medicine")

:confused:

I am having major problems coming up with an answer to the fourth essay question.

If we can't talk about us practicing medicine, what separates us from your average citizen? I have one thing I can write about for a small paragraph. That's it. Other than that, I don't see what role we have besides being responsible for the public's health (which, again, we can't talk about in this essay because that involves our "direct practice of medicine")

:confused:

I took "direct practice of medicine" to mean diagnosing and treating the patient, since it says "direct." This might have been too narrow of a definition, but that's what I assumed in my essay. Just my 2 cents!

I really like this school, one of the D.O's I shadowed was an alum from here. I have been reading last years UNECOM thread and all the politics is making me nervous about the state of the school. Any current students or recent student want to chime in on whats going on over there?

Keep in mind that UNECOM is a rurally oriented school, and in such a situation a physician may have additional duties as a community leader

Many physicians do community things other than patient care. They work for the homeless shelters, food drives, raise money for free health care clinics, teach, mentor students, etc. They were the most respected members of society. This goes back to the ideas of what kind of person a physician should be. The kind of physician you want to be. The kind of person you want to be.

If all you care about is making tons of money, having a new car every year, a huge house and saying "tough crap" to the rest of society, then by all means say that.

I really like this school, one of the D.O's I shadowed was an alum from here. I have been reading last years UNECOM thread and all the politics is making me nervous about the state of the school. Any current students or recent student want to chime in on whats going on over there?

I've made my position and what was going on when I was there quite clear. do a search for some more specific detailed posts - I would be doing quite a shoddy job of trying to put it down here.

As to what it is now, I have no idea. I graduated and frankly have no contact with them anymore. Nor does it seem they want to be forthcoming about what is actually going on there. Third and fourth year students are kept pretty much in the dark about everything on campus.

Now having said that and you having done a search, a few things:
1. Your education is what you make of it. I got a pretty decent one all in all.
2. UNECOM students carry the highest debt load of ANY med school in the country. NUMBER ONE. And tuition goes up every year at least 6%. EVERY YEAR.
3. You won't find a better neuro course. Anywhere. UNE has one of the world's foremost neuro anatomists teaching you and he's quite dedicated.
4. Dr. Richard Reese, who authors the pharm book most other med schools make their students buy, teaches your pharm. And he gives you the cliff notes version of his book.
5. OMM department is outstanding, as long as the illustrious president Ripich doesn't fire all the clinical staff (again). She tried that once and the public had a fit. I'm sure she'll try it again - she wants the money the salaries would save. The idea was to fire all clinical staff except for department heads. This would have left Dr. Carreiro as the department head the only person to teach OMM to both years' classes. No ancillary staff. No fellow program.
6. Anatomy is excellent. Excellent.

Make your choice wisely. Be an activist and keep your ears open as to what's going on. Students have a lot more power than they are aware of and if you band together you can make a lot of changes. Going to med school isn't just about learning stuff to put in your brain. It's about making you a better person. UNE will certainly give you opportunities to lead and make a difference if you're willing to put forth the effort.

I've made my position and what was going on when I was there quite clear. do a search for some more specific detailed posts - I would be doing quite a shoddy job of trying to put it down here.

As to what it is now, I have no idea. I graduated and frankly have no contact with them anymore. Nor does it seem they want to be forthcoming about what is actually going on there. Third and fourth year students are kept pretty much in the dark about everything on campus.

Now having said that and you having done a search, a few things:
1. Your education is what you make of it. I got a pretty decent one all in all.
2. UNECOM students carry the highest debt load of ANY med school in the country. NUMBER ONE. And tuition goes up every year at least 6%. EVERY YEAR.
3. You won't find a better neuro course. Anywhere. UNE has one of the world's foremost neuro anatomists teaching you and he's quite dedicated.
4. Dr. Richard Reese, who authors the pharm book most other med schools make their students buy, teaches your pharm. And he gives you the cliff notes version of his book.
5. OMM department is outstanding, as long as the illustrious president Ripich doesn't fire all the clinical staff (again). She tried that once and the public had a fit. I'm sure she'll try it again - she wants the money the salaries would save. The idea was to fire all clinical staff except for department heads. This would have left Dr. Carreiro as the department head the only person to teach OMM to both years' classes. No ancillary staff. No fellow program.
6. Anatomy is excellent. Excellent.

Make your choice wisely. Be an activist and keep your ears open as to what's going on. Students have a lot more power than they are aware of and if you band together you can make a lot of changes. Going to med school isn't just about learning stuff to put in your brain. It's about making you a better person. UNE will certainly give you opportunities to lead and make a difference if you're willing to put forth the effort.

Your posts were the ones I was specifically referencing. I'm going to make an extensive search, read up on it a little more. Thanks for the input.

I just got the secondary this morning.

2000 characters max per question

1. Describe your particular interest in attending the UNE-COM and any contact you have had with UNE-COM students, alumni, faculty or clinicians, admissions/student affairs staff members, etc. How did these interactions influence your decision to apply?
2. Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes/additions in education, employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS application.
3. Please explain any academic difficulties you encountered during your academic career. What insight or knowledge have you gained from these experiences that you will bring to your studies at UNE-COM?

A DO letter is strongly recommended and the app fee is $55.

I am worried about answering the first question honestly since I have not had contact with UNECOM students, alumni, or faculty. Would it be appropriate to call UNECOM and ask to speak with someone to learn more about the school? Or would that be too obvious that I am only doing it for the supplementary?

You have had access to UNE students via the internet. On this very website in fact.

I wouldn't worry about it. I hadn't had any contact with alumni or current students and said so and still got in. They just want to know where you're coming from, what you might know, and what myths they have to dispell and facts to confirm.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was thinking about writing that I have read online on public forums about the school (there are lots of posts by students and alumuni like ShyRem). Is it unwise to write that?? :oops:

Anyone else having trouble with question #3? I feel like they expect us to answer it, but how to make it not draw attention to a specific bad quarter or make it sound like an excuse for bad grades? I was thinking of talking about a quarter where I was extremely sick and my grades suffered because of that, or the first quarter of upper divs where I did not know how to study for hardcore science classes yet. But both seem like excuses... what are your guys' thoughts?

Anyone else having trouble with question #3? I feel like they expect us to answer it, but how to make it not draw attention to a specific bad quarter or make it sound like an excuse for bad grades? I was thinking of talking about a quarter where I was extremely sick and my grades suffered because of that, or the first quarter of upper divs where I did not know how to study for hardcore science classes yet. But both seem like excuses... what are your guys' thoughts?

I had a tough time in my biochem class when our prof changed and the entire flow of the class changed. I think the admins want us to use the whole "state the problem, what was your solution, what have you learned from this situation and how it can help you in medschool and the future" format. Focus a small part on the issue and a larger part on what you have learned. At least that is what I did. Good luck with your essay!

What's the GPA/MCAT status for UNE?

I meant their stat for GPA and MCAT. Does anyone receive an interview invite yet?

UNE is in line with most other osteopathic schools:
~25-27 MCAT
~3.5 GPA

but are deviations from the above.

They do tend to favor applicants from New England and the northeast but thats also because a large # of applicants are from the region, so don't discount yourself just because of this.

Does anyone know when UNE-COM starts handing out interviews? Has anyone heard anything from them since turning all the secondary materials in and getting the "complete" email confirmation? Thanks

Does anyone know when UNE-COM starts handing out interviews? Has anyone heard anything from them since turning all the secondary materials in and getting the "complete" email confirmation? Thanks

I am also curious to know. Any one knows about how they show their love to OOS.

I'm referring to the second question on the secondary app..

Please explain any gaps in education or employment. Indicate any changes/additions in education, employment, experiences, research, etc. since submitting your AACOMAS application.

I'm not really sure what to say with this. I don't have any gaps in education or employment. I entered college directly after high school and I've always worked during the summer months. I also haven't had any changes or additions since submitting my applications. I've been working and studying for the MCAT. Any ideas on what I should do here?

Thanks!

They also ask what schools you are applying too. Not sure if anyone cares but I thought it was interesting.

I thought the same thing. Does anyone know why they ask? I applied to 12 schools, does that make me look bad? Ughhh.... med school apps = frustrating. :scared:

Hey guys,

I called UNE-COM admissions to check on my status and was told that I am currently being reviewed. Also, Ms. Lane said that interviews would start being handed out in the next week and a half........I want to go here so badly.

Hey guys,

I called UNE-COM admissions to check on my status and was told that I am currently being reviewed. Also, Ms. Lane said that interviews would start being handed out in the next week and a half........I want to go here so badly.

Was there any indication if interviews would be offered by e-mail, phone or snail mail?

Was there any indication if interviews would be offered by e-mail, phone or snail mail?

Last year they were sent by email. They picked the date, but were flexible if you needed to change it.

I believe they do their interviews on Tues and Thurs with only ~ 4 interview days per month or so...at least that's how it was structured last year

The interview day itself was pretty good...a few info sessions to begin with, then lunch, tours, then interviews. The whole day has a lot of student involvement.

Interviews were laid back, open file, with two faculty members.

Hi all! UNECOM is one of my top choices to attend med school! Good luck to everyone applying! They seem to accept a large number of non-traditional students; I was just wondering if they accept many traditional students who wish to attend right out of college as well, or if they generally look down on that?

Hi all! UNECOM is one of my top choices to attend med school! Good luck to everyone applying! They seem to accept a large number of non-traditional students; I was just wondering if they accept many traditional students who wish to attend right out of college as well, or if they generally look down on that?

They won't use going directly into med school from college against you. When I interviewed I think I was the only one who was taking the "traditional" route though, most had taken a year or two off, one older lady in her 40's, so UNECOM does have a mixed applicant base. I was ultimatly placed on the alternate list and am reapplying now, but I don't think that going directly after college was the reason for that. Now that I am about to start my year "off", I am actually happy that I am taking some time not in school and enjoy life for a little bit because it's going to be awhile...if ever...that I will be able to take some time off and enjoy it, plus having the ability to build up a bank account will be helpful.

Hey all, GL this season! My second mcat scores were received (23-24, unfortunately since my practice scores were higher). I'm hoping my gpa and ECs will help a lot. I've talked to a family medicine professor there numerous times and he seemed very nice and really had a lot to say about UNE, so hopefully we'll all here something soon.

Hey all, GL this season! My second mcat scores were received (23-24, unfortunately since my practice scores were higher). I'm hoping my gpa and ECs will help a lot. I've talked to a family medicine professor there numerous times and he seemed very nice and really had a lot to say about UNE, so hopefully we'll all here something soon.
i am in the same boat. I also have some hope

Interview invite! 9/16. I need to reschedule this one or my AZCOM though because I don't think I can pull off an interview, a flight across the country and another interview the next day haha.

Interview invite! 9/16. I need to reschedule this one or my AZCOM though because I don't think I can pull off an interview, a flight across the country and another interview the next day haha.

im sure u can ;) haha

congrats on the interview invite!

Congratulations!!!

Did it come by email or phone?

Got the invite today for September 14th. Pretty excited. :D

What's the GPA/MCAT stat for those receive interviews?

I was complete 7/9. I've yet to hear from them since then though.

It says in the CIB that UNECOM only offers secondaries to those who complete pre-reqs. I still have organic chem lab to take, so this means I have no shot at this school then, doesn't it?

It says in the CIB that UNECOM only offers secondaries to those who complete pre-reqs. I still have organic chem lab to take, so this means I have no shot at this school then, doesn't it?

I recieved the secondary from them and only have 3 english credits and no biochem. The secondary just came with a reminder that I had to have these prereqs done before matriculation and acceptance would be conditional upon finishing these courses.

I recieved the secondary from them and only have 3 english credits and no biochem. The secondary just came with a reminder that I had to have these prereqs done before matriculation and acceptance would be conditional upon finishing these courses.

+1. I was also in the middle of orgo II when I got the secondary. Taking biochem this fall.