How does this look? Below a 10 on verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldngrl1611

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-
I'd reallyyyy appreciate honest opinions on this matter. Just got my 5/27 MCAT score and I'm a teensy bit worried. I'm not going to post the details of my ECs here but trust me they are fine. A lot of volunteering, resident advisor, SI leader, job on campus, some research, etc. I have a 3.88 cumulative, a 3.82 science, and a 3.95 AO. My MCAT is a 12/9/S/11: 32S. How does this 9 in verbal look? I NEVER got lower than a 10 on verbal on any practice- always straight 11s. I have no idea what happened. Should I consider retaking it because of the verbal or will I still have a good shot at some decent (but not amazing) schools? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys-
I'd reallyyyy appreciate honest opinions on this matter. Just got my 5/27 MCAT score and I'm a teensy bit worried. I'm not going to post the details of my ECs here but trust me they are fine. A lot of volunteering, resident advisor, SI leader, job on campus, some research, etc. I have a 3.88 cumulative, a 3.82 science, and a 3.95 AO. My MCAT is a 12/9/S/11: 32S. How does this 9 in verbal look? I NEVER got lower than a 10 on verbal on any practice- always straight 11s. I have no idea what happened. Should I consider retaking it because of the verbal or will I still have a good shot at some decent (but not amazing) schools? Thanks.

I've read threads of people getting in with even 8. You will be fine as long as you are applying to "decent" schools. Those schools with an average of 10 or 11 for Verbal will be difficult reaches for you (difficult reach, of course, does not mean that you won't get in.. Just hard).

I've read threads of people getting in with even 8. You will be fine as long as you are applying to "decent" schools. Those schools with an average of 10 or 11 for Verbal will be difficult reaches for you (difficult reach, of course, does not mean that you won't get in.. Just hard).

don't most schools even with a 32 average have 10/11 verbal averages? you mean I wouldnt have a decent shot at schools with a 32/33 avg and a 3.7/3.75 GPA just because my verbal is a 9?

Members don't see this ad :)
don't most schools even with a 32 average have 10/11 verbal averages? you mean I wouldnt have a decent shot at schools with a 32/33 avg and a 3.7/3.75 GPA just because my verbal is a 9?

No, not necessarily. You can get into various places (search for this through MSAR) with 9 on Verbal. My point, however, is the emphasis on the term "average." One pdf I came across has data from 2006. According to this, Harvard has an "average" MCAT score of 11. This means that while they likely took most applicants from 11 or above, they may have taken students below 11 because that's how average is.

I wouldn't trust too much into the terms "averages" unless you know exactly how much of percentages of applicants score above and below.

echoing what some have said...i wouldn't worry about a 9 in verbal...the rest of your subscores are great, making your total score pretty nice! i think a lot of schools disregard apps with subscores 7 or below, but a verbal 9 is not a 7 and, remember you are on SDN, where an unrepresentative population often complains about scores that many people would love to get...

your MCAT score should be one thing that won't hurt you in this process!