PCAT Scores - September 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laughablex

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I just took my PCAT.
My preliminary report:
VA : 385, 22%
BIO: 399, 40%
RC: 385, 25%
QA: 387, 21%
CHM: 402, 51%
Composite: 392, 27%

I have a 3.85 GPA, math GPA of 4.00, and science GPA Of 3.8.
Guess ill have to take it again....
Boy do I hate standardized tests..
Anyone else take it today?
Also, any study tips?
I don't believe any school will like this score, even with my GPA :(

Members don't see this ad.

WOW..you did great!!! Can you post your previous breakdown from July? Seriously, super inspirational...I hoped for the same for myself, unfortunately did not come out as victorious (as clearly stated in a few of my earlier posts). Congratulations!!! Seriously amazing!!!

Just give PCAT a call, and discuss with them your situation. Due to your 50+ increase on the exam (AWESOME, BTW) they will automatically cancel your scores once the official scores come out. Just tell them you bought new study material and you should be good :)

Post your study schedule please!!! :)

So if I improve my score on Nov by 50 or above, theyre going to cancel my score????

So if I improve my score on Nov by 50 or above, theyre going to cancel my score????

Yeah, their rule is if you have a 50+ increase in composite score within a 13 month period they will cancel your scores automatically. I've done A LOT of research on this specific topic bc I had high hopes of improving dramatically from July to September (that didn't work out to my advantage however :( )

So all you have to do is email them (but call first and they'll tell you to email a certain address) they want proof of the "sudden increase" like a prep course or certain compromising circumstances that you were under (they just want to make sure you weren't cheating when they do their investigation of scores before the official score report is released). Just explain it all in the "appeal" and you should be fine :) I heard they usually accept the appeals and the official score will get released, but they won't tell you over the phone if it's guaranteed or not. It's all in their handbook online!! That's how I found out about this.

But don't worry about it. It shouldn't be a big deal. You still get a preliminary score report at the end, and you can just email/call them right away bc you'll obviously know if you received a greater than 50+ point increase (they give you 60 days to appeal it). :)

So no worries!!! Just focus on reaching that high score !! :)

Last edited:

I don't think that is true. I don't think you'll be penalized for getting a perfect score the second time. It is absolutely possible to get a very high score with good preparation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Its one of their rules. Its in the candidate booklet. You can appeal the cancellation by showing them proof of a study guide material or courses taken that helped improve your score.

Yeah, their rule is if you have a 50+ increase in composite score within a 13 month period they will cancel your scores automatically. I've done A LOT of research on this specific topic bc I had high hopes of improving dramatically from July to September (that didn't work out to my advantage however :( )

So all you have to do is email them (but call first and they'll tell you to email a certain address) they want proof of the "sudden increase" like a prep course or certain compromising circumstances that you were under (they just want to make sure you weren't cheating when they do their investigation of scores before the official score report is released). Just explain it all in the "appeal" and you should be fine :) I heard they usually accept the appeals and the official score will get released, but they won't tell you over the phone if it's guaranteed or not. It's all in their handbook online!! That's how I found out about this.

But don't worry about it. It shouldn't be a big deal. You still get a preliminary score report at the end, and you can just email/call them right away bc you'll obviously know if you received a greater than 50+ point increase (they give you 60 days to appeal it). :)

So no worries!!! Just focus on reaching that high score !! :)

There are posters on SDN who have increased their score by 50 points. If you use the search function, they explain, in detail, the appeals process. It wasn't anything extreme and they were able to use their scores for the application cycle.

Thanks for the info guys!!! I never knew about that. lol that's ridiculous, how can we cheat? they locked us in a room with just 4 walls and a comp with a pen and a scratch paper... And we don't even have the time to finish all of the questions. There is no such free time to cheat. :)

I don't think that is true. I don't think you'll be penalized for getting a perfect score the second time. It is absolutely possible to get a very high score with good preparation.

THIS IS TRUE! I called them and spoke with the pcat people themselves. Why would I lie? I'm trying to help you guys in hopes of receiving a good score. It's in their handbook online under "cancellation of scores by Pearson"

There are posters on SDN who have increased their score by 50 points. If you use the search function, they explain, in detail, the appeals process. It wasn't anything extreme and they were able to use their scores for the application cycle.

I know... I'm not saying it's not anything that can't be fixed. I'm just saying what was told to me by the people over at pcat. The way they explained it to me sounded pretty serious.

Thanks for the info guys!!! I never knew about that. lol that's ridiculous, how can we cheat? they locked us in a room with just 4 walls and a comp with a pen and a scratch paper... And we don't even have the time to finish all of the questions. There is no such free time to cheat. :)

LOL!!! Seriously!!! Hahahaha

Anyone else find the RC on this test way harder than the practice tests?
Totally. I haven't seen an RC score above 90 and the passages SUCKED. The questions were super annoying and picking at nits. Like, can you not make me refer to JUST ONE SENTENCE'S meaning in total contrast to the entire passage's general bent? Hated it and I was an English major/worked in journalism. The RC section is BS!

Totally. I haven't seen an RC score above 90 and the passages SUCKED. The questions were super annoying and picking at nits. Like, can you not make me refer to JUST ONE SENTENCE'S meaning in total contrast to the entire passage's general bent? Hated it and I was an English major/worked in journalism. The RC section is BS!

Okay, if you're an English major with a background in journalism, and you think it's difficult, then I guess I shouldn't feel so stupid anymore. I really felt like an idiot every time I think about my abysmal performance on the RC subtest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish. It might be a while because the late September test dates were the same testing window as early September

If release dates from previous years are of any indication, it doesn't look like scores will post until the 28th of this month. Info is based on this thread. I hope this doesn't delay our applications.

If release dates from previous years are of any indication, it doesn't look like scores will post until the 28th of this month. Info is based on this thread. I hope this doesn't delay our applications.

Couple things that seem different and maybe work in our favor....
1. looks like the last day of their window was 28th, ours was 18th (unless someone can correct me)
2 was two years ago, hoping pearson may have gotten better at this

anyway if anyone gets any news throw an update up :luck:

Well, it's by no means a science, but can certainly serve as a ballpark estimate to see how things move along.

So is that when the scores are sent to PharmCAS as well? I'm getting a bit antsy because it seems like it's going to take forever to reach the out of state schools I applied to :(

So is that when the scores are sent to PharmCAS as well? I'm getting a bit antsy because it seems like it's going to take forever to reach the out of state schools I applied to :(

Sorry, I somehow missed this thread earlier, but it looks like the release date of the scores is around the 25th and it took them 3 days to show up on PharmCAS (the 28th). Hopefully ours will be even sooner. :D

Sorry, I somehow missed this thread earlier, but it looks like the release date of the scores is around the 25th and it took them 3 days to show up on PharmCAS (the 28th). Hopefully ours will be even sooner. :D

Thanks for letting me know.

Also, I have one more question: Will PharmCAS automatically forward the score to the schools I designated already? Or will I have to personally do that myself? I'm thinking the former but just want to ask to make sure :)
Thanks!

If the schools participate in PharmCAS, then PharmCAS will automatically forward it to the schools when your application is being mailed. Schools that are not part of PharmCAS will require you to designate them when you signed up to take the PCAT through Pearson. You can also request for more, but I think it will cost you money.

If the schools participate in PharmCAS, then PharmCAS will automatically forward it to the schools when your application is being mailed. Schools that are not part of PharmCAS will require you to designate them when you signed up to take the PCAT through Pearson. You can also request for more, but I think it will cost you money.

Yea this is right. Anyone hear anything yet? No scores here...

Pharmer...where did you apply to - just out of curiosity :)

Awesome! I'm just super stoked because now the oos schools can finally review my file haha. The missing PCAT score put my files on hold all this time for all the oos I applied :rolleyes:

Klueril: I sent you a PM. :) I don't want to derail this thread from its focus on the PCAT.

trangtn: I know, me too! I just want them to take a look at my application and make a decision already. All this anxious waiting is giving me ulcers (actually, H. Pylori does)... :laugh:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but do PCAT scores shown up on pharmcas pretty much the same time they are available on our pcat profile on the pearson site?? I'm just wondering if there is going to be another delay between the release time and until they are on pharmcas (provided that I had them sent to pharmcas of course).

Like others, I have already submitted all my out of state supplementals and am just twiddling my thumbs until they are reviewed when my pcat scores finally get there..... I JUST WANT TO KNOW!!!!

Sweet! looking forward to see my score curve up haha probably not gonna happen but you never know. I took my exam Friday the 13th and scored 81, wondering if others did bad (hence, Friday the 13th) for a chance to reassess the curve and boosting it up by 1 or 2 points.

Sweet! looking forward to see my score curve up haha probably not gonna happen but you never know. I took my exam Friday the 13th and scored 81, wondering if others did bad (hence, Friday the 13th) for a chance to reassess the curve and boosting it up by 1 or 2 points.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think it works that way. Your preliminary scores are based on 2011 norms, so it will most likely not change.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't think it works that way. Your preliminary scores are based on 2011 norms, so it will most likely not change.

What if 90% of the students who took the test that same day scored less than 50 percentile composite, Pearson have to look for an adjustment, right? I read somewhere in this thread that someone had his/her score go up by a point or two, can't remember.

What if 90% of the students who took the test that same day scored less than 50 percentile composite, Pearson have to look for an adjustment, right? I read somewhere in this thread that someone had his/her score go up by a point or two, can't remember.

That would be a highly unlikely scenario, but I imagine that would benefit people who take the exam in 2015(?). I don't remember ever reading anything from Pearson or on here about it, but if you could find the info, then please share.

If that happens they will adjust the scores somehow, but it is highly unlikely to happen. The difficulty of the exam hardly changes. And besides, i personally dont think 1-2 point increase on ur composite will benefit that much. It will also increase the scores of ur competitors as well.

I called Pearson last week and they said the official scores will be released Oct 23 at the latest.

THANK YOU, I was hoping to find this information somewhere this morning because I was debating calling Pearson myself. I am getting antsy to e-submit PharmCAS because I'm applying to one of the 11/1/2013 deadline schools.

THANK YOU, I was hoping to find this information somewhere this morning because I was debating calling Pearson myself. I am getting antsy to e-submit PharmCAS because I'm applying to one of the 11/1/2013 deadline schools.

You can submit before pcat comes out

Anyone got their official scores yet from sept?

I got mine a few days ago but knew my score the day I took it minus the Writing. On the writing, I got a 2.5.

Don't quote me on this part but my scores for the PCAT was...

RC--25
VA--25
High 60s in Biology and Math
Chemistry was an 86

Final score was 55. Considering I studied for about a week of using my notes from school, I am okay with it. I sorta wished I used some of the resources mentioned on here. I feel like I would have done well in many areas. (minus RC and VA.....I suck in those two subjects)

I also was accepted to Wingate University a few weeks ago. Even before my official PCAT score came out.