DAT done-- Break down- 04/28/2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fadyamerican

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took my DAT today and here is my breakdown
AA 22
TS 24
OC 29
GC 25
BIO 21
QR 21
PAT 19
RC 16 :(

I am worrying about my RC score, I know It is so low. English is my second language :(.
I have 92 Credit hours with Cumulative GPA 4.00 and I want to apply this cycle--- I need Your advice.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Even native English speakers will admit the RC section can be incredibly difficult, almost as if reading another language. That being said, I think you'll be fine with those scores and that GPA. Make sure to let admissions know that you're an ESL student in your personal statement (and have a really good writer be your editor to sell your story). I think that in general, admissions actually has preference of ESL students over a high RC score.

Other than your RC, you have stellar scores. The only thing I will warn you against is that some schools have strict cutoff DAT scores, and most of them are at least a 17. Before you apply to a school, make sure you call and see if a 16 will make the cut. If not, you'd be wasting money.

I have very strong reading skills, but the reading section on my test blew me away. I expected RC to be my highest score, but it was actually my lowest. I can totally understand how hard it is, and I hate this happened to you. Like I said, though, the rest of your scores are outstanding!

@CMF
Even native English speakers will admit the RC section can be incredibly difficult, almost as if reading another language. That being said, I think you'll be fine with those scores and that GPA. Make sure to let admissions know that you're an ESL student in your personal statement (and have a really good writer be your editor to sell your story). I think that in general, admissions actually has preference of ESL students over a high RC score.

Thanks for your advice, and I will do that

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the 17 cut off apply to individual sections as well? I thought it was just applied to AA and PAT as a whole?

Does the 17 cut off apply to individual sections as well? I thought it was just applied to AA and PAT as a whole?

I think some schools expect a 17 in each section, but don't quote me on it. I haven't researched it at all, but I've seen others on SDN speak of it.

He's asking you to give an actual breakdown of your testing experience, kind of the like the breakdowns that are in my signature.

I believe you will receive lots of interviews this up coming cycle! Your scores and gpa are very strong. My gpa and score are lower than yours with a 15 RC. Luckily I was accepted during this cycle. Goodluck!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2