2013-2014 University of Arizona - Phoenix Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After learning more about our mission and values as a medical school, share how you fit within the UA Phoenix Med culture. (required, 350 words max)

Elaborate on what has occurred in the last 12-18 months that has influenced your goal and preparation for a career in medicine. (required, 350 words max)

What unique or challenging factors in your background (childhood/adulthood) have enhanced your character? (required, 350 words max)

What is important to you that you want to make sure the Admissions Committee knows about you that is not already included in your application? (required, 350 words max)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is anybody excited to be applying here?! This is my second year applying and I got waitlisted here and I am really hoping for good luck this year!

Is anybody excited to be applying here?! This is my second year applying and I got waitlisted here and I am really hoping for good luck this year!

I am! Do they do MMI like they do in Tucson?

Members don't see this ad :)
For whatever reason my MSAR didn't have much info on this school (I had an older version I think). Anyways, I am definitely applying as I'd love to come out west. OOS, 31 MCAT 3.8 GPA. Think I've got a shot? Good luck all!

For whatever reason my MSAR didn't have much info on this school (I had an older version I think). Anyways, I am definitely applying as I'd love to come out west. OOS, 31 MCAT 3.8 GPA. Think I've got a shot? Good luck all!
This is a newer school (it used to be part of the U of A Tucson but just recently split up) so that is why there are probably not very many stats yet. However, as long as your interview well and have good EC's I am sure you have a shot! I loved the campus!

Just remember, they have a slightly different list of prerequisite classes than most other schools. Since they are so new, they decided to take the long view and make the required classes that will be needed for the new MCAT. View last years thread to find the announcement. There were several last year that were surprised by the new requirements.

Dr. Tara Cunningham was a great help on last years thread. I hope she keeps up the tradition.

I am sad that I didn't get an acceptance here, but I am happy that I received an acceptance at other schools.

Good luck to those applying this cycle!

dsoz

Just remember, they have a slightly different list of prerequisite classes than most other schools. Since they are so new, they decided to take the long view and make the required classes that will be needed for the new MCAT. View last years thread to find the announcement. There were several last year that were surprised by the new requirements.

Dr. Tara Cunningham was a great help on last years thread. I hope she keeps up the tradition.

I am sad that I didn't get an acceptance here, but I am happy that I received an acceptance at other schools.

dsoz
I do remember that change! Luckily I qualified still! And Tara is sooo helpful! I do hope she comes back!

dsoz

What were the new requirements? I have biochemistry if that's what it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check out the website there are a few new requirements. Biochem is one of them but you also need other upper division sciences, humanities courses, statistics or research methods... that is all I can think of off of the top of my head but it says on their website!

Biochemistry, physiology, and two behavioral/social sciences. More details here.

I'll be sending my IS application to UA-COM Phoenix as soon as AMCAS lets me!

Biochemistry, physiology, and two behavioral/social sciences. More details here.

I'll be sending my IS application to UA-COM Phoenix as soon as AMCAS lets me!
I will be too! I am line waiting to be reviewed... I wonder how long it is going to take since they pushed the time back and more people sent their application to be reviewed at the same time...

Hello 2014 applicants - I am here to answer questions regarding the UA Phoenix Med admissions process.

We look forward to receiving AMCAS data on June 28, the first date med schools will receive applications. We have a great year ahead of us. Feel free to contact our team at [email protected] and be sure to review the website at phoenixmed.arizona.edu.

UA Phoenix Med AMCAS deadline is OCT 15. We are entering the 4th year of using MMIs as the interview format, and interviews start on August 5th - 12 interview days planned, all on Monday's - wrapping up in Jan.

Happy Application.

Dr. Tara Cunningham
Assistant Dean, Admissions and Recruitment
Assistant Professor, Medicine Administration

Would organic (2 semesters + lab) be able to replace the biochem requirement? What about an extra physiology course? I have taken 2 semesters worth of A&P, and an exercise physiology course.

I really would like to be able to apply here, but I have already graduated, and I don't have the time/money just yet to sign up for a biochem course.

Would organic (2 semesters + lab) be able to replace the biochem requirement? What about an extra physiology course? I have taken 2 semesters worth of A&P, and an exercise physiology course.

I really would like to be able to apply here, but I have already graduated, and I don't have the time/money just yet to sign up for a biochem course.

O-Chem or extra Physio will not sub for Biochem - only Biochem works. The investment in the course will pay off in medical school!

UA Phx Med,
My school only offers a Vertebrate Physiology for upper level and basic Human A & P at the Freshman level. I have experience as a medic in the military and EMT-B and got as much exposure to human phys. as would be offered by the Human A & P course through my experience. Would the Vert. Phys. be good enough given everything or should I plan on going back and taking the Freshman A & P if accepted to UA-Phx?
Thanks

UA Phx Med,
My school only offers a Vertebrate Physiology for upper level and basic Human A & P at the Freshman level. I have experience as a medic in the military and EMT-B and got as much exposure to human phys. as would be offered by the Human A & P course through my experience. Would the Vert. Phys. be good enough given everything or should I plan on going back and taking the Freshman A & P if accepted to UA-Phx?
Thanks

Vert Phys is good. Sounds like you'll do well in the course considering your experience!

Vert Phys is good. Sounds like you'll do well in the course considering your experience!

Thanks for the response. It really is awesome you are on here and answering questions. It is an impressive representation of the school as a whole. Here's to hoping... 27 MCAT, 3.78 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA.

Thanks for the response. It really is awesome you are on here and answering questions. It is an impressive representation of the school as a whole. Here's to hoping... 27 MCAT, 3.78 cGPA, 3.9 sGPA.
Good luck! Are you in state?

I am a state resident, but haven't lived there in >11 years because I'm active duty.

I am a state resident, but haven't lived there in >11 years because I'm active duty military. How about you?
IS also. Going in with a 3.65 cpga and 3.6 sgpa and a 31 MCAT! Lets hope the MCAT helps out my not-so-great gpa... :/ I am also a reapplicant and was wait-listed last year. I love this school!

IS also. Going in with a 3.65 cpga and 3.6 sgpa and a 31 MCAT! Lets hope the MCAT helps out my not-so-great gpa... :/ I am also a reapplicant and was wait-listed last year. I love this school!

Good luck to you! Your stats look good. Your wait-list surprises me and is a little disheartening, given my significantly lower MCAT. I hope they weigh ECs heavily. Sometimes I'm a little jealous of the applicants whose schools are more IS bias.

Good luck to you! Your stats look good. Your wait-list surprises me and is a little disheartening, given my significantly lower MCAT. I hope they weigh ECs heavily. Sometimes I'm a little jealous of the applicants whose schools are more IS bias.

Same here, when I read that I was a little disappointed. I have very similar stats, but my ECs are only decent. Ugh.

I'm applying here, good luck to everyone! IS and UofA alum. Rejected last year haha. Got the unscreened secondary though!

MSAR doesn't have much data on this school. Does anyone know how many OOS acceptances are given?

Is the Phx campus taking 80 students next year or expanding to 100+?

Don't be too disheartened! I applied rather late and I think that is what really hurt my chances over anything else. :/ Also going back through my app it did not seem as well-put together as it seemed last year so I made quite a few changes to it!

Same here, when I read that I was a little disappointed. I have very similar stats, but my ECs are only decent. Ugh.
Just to reiterate my biggest mistake was applying late! I also have good EC's, not great which is what I have been working on to increase. Don't lose hope!

Just to reiterate my biggest mistake was applying late! I also have good EC's, not great which is what I have been working on to increase. Don't lose hope!

I felt my biggest mistake the year I applied was submitting everything fairly late as well- get everything in ASAP! Also, if you like a school, send thank-yous to everyone you can (not just interviewers, but staff as well), and stay in touch. They want to know you'd go there if accepted.

Also, the class size is 80 - I haven't heard of any plans to expand in the next year.

I'm an MS4 if you guys have any questions... actually an MS4.5, since I extended med school one semester due to maternity leave, and will graduate in December. PM me if you have student-specific questions, though things change from class to class so my info might be outdated. :)

Good luck to you all! I have LOVED this school- it was my top choice and I would definitely choose it again!

If we submit our primary in July would that be considered late?

We learned today that AMCAS has delayed sending applications to medical schools until next Friday, not tomorrow as planned. We are ready to start the year and look forward to meeting you via paper soon!

Hello 2014 applicants - I am here to answer questions regarding the UA Phoenix Med admissions process.

We look forward to receiving AMCAS data on June 28, the first date med schools will receive applications. We have a great year ahead of us. Feel free to contact our team at [email protected] and be sure to review the website at phoenixmed.arizona.edu.

UA Phoenix Med AMCAS deadline is OCT 15. We are entering the 4th year of using MMIs as the interview format, and interviews start on August 5th - 12 interview days planned, all on Monday's - wrapping up in Jan.

Happy Application.

Dr. Tara Cunningham
Assistant Dean, Admissions and Recruitment
Assistant Professor, Medicine Administration

How does the admissions committee handle a low subscore on the MCAT?
I was interested in applying to this school but was worried that my application would automatically be rejected due to my low verbal score.
I got a 27 (PS 11, BS 10, V6), but my GPA is good cGPA: 3.94, sGPA 3.91. My LORs and EC I believe are strong.
If given the opportunity, I would able to justify as to why I got a low verbal score (I am a first generation Mexican-American growing up in a home where Spanish was the only language spoken).

Would I stand a chance at your school?

How does the admissions committee handle a low subscore on the MCAT?

Would I stand a chance at your school?

Based on what you've shared, it sounds to me that you should be very proud of your application and yes, please submit! We have several stages of review, one of which is academic, at which time you will be invited to share more about your background, completion of required courses and other dimensions.

If we submit our primary by mid-July would that be considered late?

Based on what you've shared, it sounds to me that you should be very proud of your application and yes, please submit! We have several stages of review, one of which is academic, at which time you will be invited to share more about your background, completion of required courses and other dimensions.

Thank you for your response! I will apply!

We were surprised today by AMCAS! They started sending applications as scheduled - no delay! Let the new season begin!

Our application deadline is Oct 15, any time after is considered late. Anytime before is reviewed, but the earlier the better in terms of the spent under review before interview invitations are gone.

^Thank you!

One more question, is it ok to pick three most meaningful activities that we also talk about in our personal statement? Will it be redundant or just show consistency in our application? TIA!

Has anyone received the secondary for U of A Phoenix yet? I want to start prewriting this secondary if possible!

Dr. Cunningham, does a semester of Anatomy and Physiology cover the physiology course requirement?

I would love to apply here, but will am missing the physiology requirement. Will my application even be considered? Will it impact my app negatively? I understand that I will have to complete the physiology requirement before matriculation, which is not a problem. Thanks!