26/23/22 breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigCountry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
bio-26 gchem-23 orgo-22 pat-22 RC-22 QR-19

Materials used: DAT Destroyer, Math Destroyer, Crack DAT PAT, reading, and math.
To firm up some bio concepts, I looked at a Cliff's AP bio book and watched some video's online.

Breakdown: The DAT Destroyer is the way to go for studying the sciences. There were a ton of questions on the DAT that were pretty much straight out of the Destroyer, the book basically gives you what might have been a hard problem into a freebie. Going through the book also provided me with a solid knowledge base on all the subjects, I felt really prepared when taking the test.
I went through the book too many times to count and made sure I knew and understood every problem. I'm not saying this is a golden ticket to a high score, you will definitely need to put in serious work, but the book provides guidance on what to know and to what extent.
The bio section is full of pretty much every fact you will be tested on, on the exam. I looked at an AP cliffs bio book to review the cell cycle, immune system, and female reproductive system, and looked at videos online of muscle contraction and a couple of other random things. There were a few bio questions on the exam that were not straight forward and required you to think of the big picture and what was going on, but overall the Destroyer was key. It was also very helpful for the g-chem and orgo sections, a lot of the problems were similar I felt. I didn't really get any hard orgo reactions on my exam but the Destroyer has some nice road maps that covers everything you would need to know. One last thing about the Destroyer is that it's reliable and doesn't have any errors in it like a lot of the other books.
For the PAT I used crack DAT PAT which you can buy online. My friend showed me how to do the exam so I didn't use any of the tutorials, but the tests were great practice. On the real exam I thought keyholes and pattern folding were a lot harder while cube counting, hole punching, and angle ranking were all easier. TFE was about the same.
Crack DAT Reading was very useful in preparing for the RC section. I took all 10 tests once and only timed myself the last 4. The actual exam was easier, a lot of the questions were straight forward and weren't those annoying tone or inference questions.
For math I used the Math Destroyer and Crack DAT Math. I felt like more of the question on the exam were similar to crack DAT Math but both were helpful. CDM is helpful to get down your timing in particular. There are 14 tests in the Math Destroyer and I probably did about 7 or 8 of them while taking about 13 tests on CDM. I wasn't that good on word problems so I made sure I knew my trig functions, geometry, and calculations. The Math Destroyer is way harder than the actual math section on the DAT so it's not so useful to use each test as a practice test, but it teaches you a lot of different concepts and a few problems on my exam I knew from the Destroyer and not from CDM. CDM I thought was also a little harder than the actual DAT but there were a lot of similar problems, overall I'd recommend both. Also, my practice test scores on all the CD programs were similar to the actual exam.
In Conclusion, get the DAT and Math Destroyer, get the Crack DAT programs, and get to work. I didn't use qvault or the CD sciences or any of that stuff, I would definitely stick to the DAT Destroyer for the sciences.

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations. I love the breakdown as well. How long did you study? for how many hours per day?

Congrats again on your job well done

Thank you. I studied for the test for about 3 months. The first two I spent about 2-3 hours a day and the last month I really stepped it up and studied anywhere from 8-12 hours a day. Don't be afraid to throw in a rest day here or there. I also knew how to do everything for the PAT about 3 months before the exam but I saved the last 3 tests for close to the exam.

Awesome job. Great scores. Great job. Crack Dat is a good tool for the PAT section.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! awesome scores!! You really knocked it out of the ballpark! :)

How long did you take to go through DAT Destroyer? How did you break it down method/schedule wise? Did you do the questions in chunks like a test or did you actually look at the answers as you were going through the questions?
Also, just wondering if you took any full length practice tests since you didn't mention anything about this in your breakdown?

Many Congrats again!!! Thank you very much for your very helpful breakdown! You deserve it! :)

Hmm not really sure how long it took me to go through the destroyer but I went through each section numerous times. I would say you can move pretty fast through the bio and orgo problems but the gen chem section took me longer. I didn't break it down into chunks, I would just do each question and made sure I understood how to do it and the concepts behind it. Everyone is different but you can do maybe the first 100 orgo questions and then do like 50 bio questions, you will probably have to do some planning of your own. Especially for bio, don't just know what the correct answer is, but also know about the wrong answers and know all the information in the answers in the back of the book. I didn't really do any full length practice tests but I did do the 2007 DAT posted online as well as the 2009 DAT and I don't really think they are too helpful/representative of the real DAT. I pretty much had just enough time on the actual DAT.

Hmm not really sure how long it took me to go through the destroyer but I went through each section numerous times. I would say you can move pretty fast through the bio and orgo problems but the gen chem section took me longer. I didn't break it down into chunks, I would just do each question and made sure I understood how to do it and the concepts behind it. Everyone is different but you can do maybe the first 100 orgo questions and then do like 50 bio questions, you will probably have to do some planning of your own. Especially for bio, don't just know what the correct answer is, but also know about the wrong answers and know all the information in the answers in the back of the book. I didn't really do any full length practice tests but I did do the 2007 DAT posted online as well as the 2009 DAT and I don't really think they are too helpful/representative of the real DAT. I pretty much had just enough time on the actual DAT.

so did you find the 2009 DAT exam much easier than the actual DAT?

Can some one please tell me where to find the 2007&2009 DAT practice tests? I am on the Ada website and can it locate them

congrats on your scores, would you say the DAT Destroyer covers all types of TS (OC, GC, Biology) questions asked. did the Destroyer bio section prepare you for any of the random questions they throw at you in the biology section. Also were the lab type questions in the Destroyer sufficient?

What Dental school is your top choice? With your scores you have a great chance of getting in.

congrats on your scores, would you say the DAT Destroyer covers all types of TS (OC, GC, Biology) questions asked. did the Destroyer bio section prepare you for any of the random questions they throw at you in the biology section. Also were the lab type questions in the Destroyer sufficient?

I thought the Destroyer did prepare you for all the sections. I am not exaggerating when I say there were a ton of questions that were exactly from the destroyer. There were probably about 4-5 bio questions where my strong conceptual knowledge and test experience came into play. I didn't really get any lab questions but yes the destroyer has all the info you would need for that like extraction or various chemical tests.

Last edited:
What Dental school is your top choice? With your scores you have a great chance of getting in.

Ha good question...got any suggestions? I want a school that is ranked high academically but also in a good location (meaning warm in a place with things to do). 3 I'm thinking about are UNC, Florida, and University of the Pacific, anyone know anything about what these schools are like?