Got Goljan RR 4th edition -> new gold standard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoboCommander

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went through Pathoma 3x and needed something more. There were images on exams that stumped me, and there were some topics that did not get covered in Pathoma.

I hated RR 3rd edition because it was a hard-to-read bullet-point format. Well, I got the 4th edition anyway and while they added 200 pages (at 800 pages now), it is now far more readable. Still bullet-point format but now he uses complete sentences and it flows. MASSIVE improvement.

There's a heavy amount of physiology that other pathology resources don't go over. Also there's a lot of high yield images. This book is simply the best pathology resource. I would still do Pathoma first but this book would have gotten me so many missed questions correct. Highly recommended for those already getting 240+ on NBMEs.

Members don't see this ad.

It's also only $35 on amazon and even though it is long, it covers a lot more than just pathology. You can skip topics that you are already good on.

Members don't see this ad :)
My 4th edition just arrived. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to utilize this book during M2 year?

Goljan is not for everyone. Some people hate the bullet format. Some people hate the detail. Overall though, I personally think RR is the best pathophysiology resource out there. Sure Pathoma may be a better purely pathology resource, but nothing will teach you to think like the exam requires you to think better than RR.

In second year I followed along in each chapter/system in RR as we went through it in school. That way I saw what my school stressed versus what Goljan stressed. This is good because it allows you to see the entire (or almost entire book if you go through the first 5 or so chapters) book before you even get to dedicated studying. And then, during your dedicated time, if you play it right you can go through the systems chapters again.

There is no other book out there that teaches you to think like this book. I just began MS-4 and I still reference it at least every other day.

Goljan is not for everyone. Some people hate the bullet format. Some people hate the detail. Overall though, I personally think RR is the best pathophysiology resource out there. Sure Pathoma may be a better purely pathology resource, but nothing will teach you to think like the exam requires you to think better than RR.

In second year I followed along in each chapter/system in RR as we went through it in school. That way I saw what my school stressed versus what Goljan stressed. This is good because it allows you to see the entire (or almost entire book if you go through the first 5 or so chapters) book before you even get to dedicated studying. And then, during your dedicated time, if you play it right you can go through the systems chapters again.

There is no other book out there that teaches you to think like this book. I just began MS-4 and I still reference it at least every other day.

Yeah, I view RR more as a year 2 reference. There is too much for step one dedicated prep IMO.

It doesn't take long to cover. I covered it in 4 days, did about 200 pages per day. Raised my score from 240 to 250 on an NBME.

Hi HoboCommander , did you really read it in 4 days ...i just cant read more than 30 pages per day ( memorizing and questioning ) ...i think my way is faulty...can you provide me some tips . Thanks

to go through goljan path fast is by going by the blue marginal notes, anything u don't understand you read the sentences, however I've found that without some background information goljan is actually hard to go through b/c of the format. 200 pages in a day is doable if you study 10-12 hours a day, reading 20 pages per hour out of goljan is doable if you have some background knowledge already. This is also why people listen to his bootleg audio tapes because they go with his notes perfectly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through Pathoma 3x and needed something more. There were images on exams that stumped me, and there were some topics that did not get covered in Pathoma.

I hated RR 3rd edition because it was a hard-to-read bullet-point format. Well, I got the 4th edition anyway and while they added 200 pages (at 800 pages now), it is now far more readable. Still bullet-point format but now he uses complete sentences and it flows. MASSIVE improvement.

There's a heavy amount of physiology that other pathology resources don't go over. Also there's a lot of high yield images. This book is simply the best pathology resource. I would still do Pathoma first but this book would have gotten me so many missed questions correct. Highly recommended for those already getting 240+ on NBMEs.

Thanks for the review! Bought it. I had the same reservations with 3rd edition so you had me at "more readable."

Hi HoboCommander , did you really read it in 4 days ...i just cant read more than 30 pages per day ( memorizing and questioning ) ...i think my way is faulty...can you provide me some tips . Thanks

30 pages/day is very reasonable if it is new information. I can read 200/day only because I already did Pathoma, read Robbins, listened to Goljan audio, did UWorld, did Robbins review question book, etc. so I already knew 85% of the material.

The pathophysiology aspect of this book is simply on a higher level, and it is the only way for me to fill in the remaining 15% that I don't understand. It is still a way easier book to read than First Aid.

Suck my balls OP, I'm not adding an 800 page book to my prep 3/5 of the way into my dedicated time, and I hate you for even making me consider it >.<

Seconded. It's the only book I still have from basic sciences that I still use.

Goljan's should be used throughout MS2, especially when reviewing pathology. It's also great for using it to fill in holes of your school's curriculum as well as personal weaknesses during step 1 study time. If you're aiming for 240+ it should be a big part of your step 1 studying.

It also has random stuff like environmental pathology which seems to be neglected by everyone else save for some Uworld questions.

Goljan's should be used throughout MS2, especially when reviewing pathology. It's also great for using it to fill in holes of your school's curriculum as well as personal weaknesses during step 1 study time. If you're aiming for 240+ it should be a big part of your step 1 studying.

It also has random stuff like environmental pathology which seems to be neglected by everyone else save for some Uworld questions.

Thank you for the advice. This thing looks worthy of a hardcover. 800 pages, just beautiful.

Forgot to mention but it's great for annotating FA. A lot of FA is bare bones when it comes to pathology so you might want to add to it.

I do detest Rapid Review third edition. It's just a wall of text, you'd nearly get a nosebleed from reading it. What does the Great Pholston say about old Goljanoid I wonder??

got mine today, super thick, but looks really nice. I'm not advertising for Dr. Goljan, but I think this is a worth buy.

huge improvement just by the way lots of things are structured.

My copy is holding up just fine. It's only a few days old.

Call and ask for an exchange if you're upset. You could also debind it if you have a hair dryer. It takes all of five minutes and it's free.

Anyone punched holes in a book this thick? Would taking a drill to it (and gradually increasing bit size) work?

The flimsy cover is already falling apart and I haven't even really done anything but thumb through it.

you must have a really crappy copy, mine is same quality as the 3rd edition. Then again I'm one of those ppl who uses the crap out of my books which I generally keep later on anyway.

You could take it to a copy center, but why not do it yourself for free? I did it to my Step I book and it was effortless (and free :cool:).

Also, what is the method used by copy centers for unbinding? I've seen pictures where people unbind it by cutting through the edge of the book. I'm sure it is a quick method but wouldn't this method, if used by copy centers, decrease the amount of page you have to punch holes? Is there a risk of punching holes through the text? I would rather do it myself knowing I'm not hacking off margin space/punching holes through text. A hair dryer preserves the entire page.

Here is what I used for instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP-wRBfObqc

Copy centers actually cut off the edge of the book so that the binding is completely off, using an industrial paper cutter.

I attribute a large part of my board score to religiously reading goljan rapid review. I'm glad that there's now an updated edition. I haven't read the new edition but if you're shooting for a score above 250, this book should be your bible for the first two years of medical school.

You could take it to a copy center, but why not do it yourself for free? I did it to my Step I book and it was effortless (and free :cool:).

Also, what is the method used by copy centers for unbinding? I've seen pictures where people unbind it by cutting through the edge of the book. I'm sure it is a quick method but wouldn't this method, if used by copy centers, decrease the amount of page you have to punch holes? Is there a risk of punching holes through the text? I would rather do it myself knowing I'm not hacking off margin space/punching holes through text. A hair dryer preserves the entire page.

Here is what I used for instruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP-wRBfObqc

So you used a hairdryer on every single page? How long did it take you

So you used a hairdryer on every single page? How long did it take you

Not exactly. It took me all of 5 minutes to unbind my copy of FA. I started pulling a few pages at a time with each pass of the hair dryer, then increased the number of pages I was pulling out with each pass as the adhesive became warmer. Eventually the pages come out with very little effort. The most difficult pages to get out are the ones right next to the cover. But those are not important. I spent another 10 minutes or so separating the pages. Voila.

+1 for the new edition ...got structured more .... and easy to read ....wasn't expecting such a major change ...also the amount of high yield stuff at the margins is increased .... highlighting more points from the real text ....so easier to review ....

Not exactly. It took me all of 5 minutes to unbind my copy of FA. I started pulling a few pages at a time with each pass of the hair dryer, then increased the number of pages I was pulling out with each pass as the adhesive became warmer. Eventually the pages come out with very little effort. The most difficult pages to get out are the ones right next to the cover. But those are not important. I spent another 10 minutes or so separating the pages. Voila.

I see. Might consider doing this myself then. After you pulled the pages out, did you spread each page out one by one to prevent them from sticking to each other?

I see. Might consider doing this myself then. After you pulled the pages out, did you spread each page out one by one to prevent them from sticking to each other?

I didn't have a problem with them sticking together, so I didn't spread them out. Aside from the pages next to the front and back cover, hardly any adhesive sticks to the page once you pull it out. It shouldn't be an issue at all.

I didn't have a problem with them sticking together, so I didn't spread them out. Aside from the pages next to the front and back cover, hardly any adhesive sticks to the page once you pull it out. It shouldn't be an issue at all.

And now... onto pros and cons of 3 ring bindering vs spiral binding :naughty:

Hi
I am from India and the new edition is not yet available here. Most of the bookstores do not have information as to when it would arrive. I was wondering if I could order on amazon and get it shipped to my address in India. I am not sure if they do it..
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Hi
I am from India and the new edition is not yet available here. Most of the bookstores do not have information as to when it would arrive. I was wondering if I could order on amazon and get it shipped to my address in India. I am not sure if they do it..
Thanks

Try to ship from Amazon, some things are eligible for international shipping

Goljan RR was already great as is as a quick outline.

If you wanted outline format/bullet points/categorization like that, but with explanations, then you should have picked up pocket Robbins -.-

Just my opinion having done: Pathoma, then read basic robbins, then read pocket robbins (outlined/organized material presented in basic in a way which facilitated greater understanding), then Goljans to quickly summarize that...

Goljans is already the best as is, if you use it for what its intended for.

Goljan RR was already great as is as a quick outline.

If you wanted outline format/bullet points/categorization like that, but with explanations, then you should have picked up pocket Robbins -.-

Just my opinion having done: Pathoma, then read basic robbins, then read pocket robbins (outlined/organized material presented in basic in a way which facilitated greater understanding), then Goljans to quickly summarize that...

Goljans is already the best as is, if you use it for what its intended for.

Sure Robbins is good for pure path, but Goljan RR 4th covers a lot more boards material. It covers USMLE physiology better than the popular BRS Physiology book, covers histology, covers microbiology, covers biochemistry, covers anatomy, covers embryology, covers biostats, covers nutrition, etc.

RR's coverage competes more with First Aid than with other pathology resources. You can use the book however you like because it's high yield material everywhere and it's an easy read.

Hi
Thanks

Amazon.com ships this book to India.