Shameless plug for USC School of Pharmacy [Q & A]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They need to start paying you, my friend! haha
Get on it! Definitely good info for those applying in the coming months.

USC has an incredible APhA-ASP chapter. The work they do is monumental. I hope to do at least a third of what they do!

Members don't see this ad :)
outta curiosity...does usc for A&P have gross anatomy? i remember going on a tour before at a med school and they showed us the gross anatomy lab and i thought hmmm could i see myself as a student doing this one day( i didn't get to dissect a cadaver for my A&P class). and what do you guys like/dislike the most? are people cliquish(dono if that's a word) or are they friendly and willing to let people in their social/study groups? i guess i should ask if people study together to begin with or if it's super competitive!? alright enough questions from me. you asked for some and now you shall receive heh heh :D

Do you know if USC accept A&P for Mammalian Physiology? The only other physiology course offered at my school is Animal Physiology, which I'm sure they'd accept, but I'm not sure if I'd be able to fit it in.

Also, I'm curious if they'd accept Cellular Biology for Molecular Biology. The only Molecular Biology course offered at my school is through the college of medicine.

Biophiliac1, USC School of Pharmacy used to offer A&P with gross anatomy but when the curriculum was changed this year gross anatomy was not included because school officials did not feel gross anatomy is particularly important in the profession of pharmacy.

Students are generally friendly and tend to study in groups. I figure since we start together, we should finish together as well. However, there is competition, not so much in the classroom, but during the summer when everyone is looking for an internship. Most of my friends are working during the summer but there are a few that are still looking for an internship. [The rest of your questions can be found in the above 2 recently added posts]

FutureRxGal, yes USC does accept A&P for Mammalian Physiology but I am not sure about Cellular Biology. Hopefully, your college is on this list, but if not then please call (323) 442-1369
Pre-pharmacy course requirements and equivalencies at 150 selected colleges and universities

Pre-pharmacy Course Requirements
A minimum of 90 semester or 135 quarter units must be completed prior to entrance, with a 3.0 cumulative GPA and 2.75 Math and Science GPA. These requirements may be completed at any accredited two-year and four-year college or university. All courses must be completed with grades of C- or higher. Grades of Pass/No Pass will not be accepted (unless a course is offered only on a Pass/No Pass basis).

Candidates who have received or will receive a Baccalaureate degree or who have completed units in excess of the minimum required will be considered more favorably than applicants who have fulfilled only minimum requirements.

Prerequisites Semesters/Quarters
Calculus (for science majors only) 1/2
Statistics 1/1
General Chemistry with lab (for science majors only) 2/3
Organic Chemistry with lab (for science majors only) variable 2/3
Physics with lab (for science majors only) 2/3
General Biology (for science majors only) 2/3
Microbiology with lab 1/1
Mammalian Physiology with lab 1/1
Molecular Biology 1/1
Biochemistry 1/1
English Composition 2/3
Interpersonal Communication 1/1
Psychology or Sociology 1/1
Economics 1/1
*Social and Behavioral Sciences 2/3
*Humanities 2/3
*Applies only to applicants who will not be earning a Baccalaureate degree.

An entrance examination (PCAT) is not required.

Good questions. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask additional questions.

It's like your a posting billboard for USC.

I always wanted to go to California. How much is USC's tuition per year, roughly? I have a friend there and she loves it. Great huge difference for TX, and the professors are rough, but she loves the experience.

Asnchic, Southern California is definately different from Texas. The tuition including fee is approximately 31,000$ a year. Although there are some advantages to going to USC including networking and a great football team, the tuition is definately much higher than public universities. However in your case, the benefit of applying to a private school is that no preference will be given California residents. USC uses the same criteria to evaluate out-of-state applicants as it does California residents.

FutureRxGal said:
Also, I'm curious if they'd accept Cellular Biology for Molecular Biology. The only Molecular Biology course offered at my school is through the college of medicine.

My guess would be Genetics for substitution. It is not Mendelian genetics, but the nuts and bolts of DNA. We were splicing DNA the first day of lab. I was at Saint Leo, but I'm sure USF's class is the same.

Dana

BMBiology said:
FutureRxGal, yes USC does accept A&P for Mammalian Physiology but I am not sure about Cellular Biology. Hopefully, your college is on this list, but if not then please call (323) 442-1369.

Thanks. My school isn't on the list, but I've emailed the school to see. :)

I called USC today. A lady from admissions told me that they'd accept either Cell Bio or Genetics in lieu of Molecular Biology from my college. Looks like I may apply to USC. :)

Yep...31 thousand a year sounds completely out of my league. Loans, etc. would take an edge off, but I don' t want to get into debt etc. I know doctors today who are still working off their loans.

I'm liking the whole 17-20 thousand a year that UT boasts. :)

But I would love to go there still.

chuckcamp said:
there are a lot of USC posts in this forum... just curious, i was looking at a listing of pharm schools and their breakdowns in regards to basic statistics of their programs.... i know USC is a private school and all, but i never realized how MASSIVE the school (and its entering class)is... is USC the largest pharm school in the nation? if so, is it still pretty competitive to get accepted? i am not from cali, so i am hoping that I can remain competitive

USC is not the largest pharmacy school in the nation. I know a few pharmacy schools that have more students than USC such as UOP which has an entering class of 200 students. I know last year, USC received over 1,300 applicants for 180 seats. Although at first glance it seems admissions to USC is competitive, but USC offers interviews to many applicants because the school wants to get to know the students beyond their grades. One of my good friends had a 3.1 GPA and was accepted to USC. The interview is weighed as much as the pre pharmacy req. GPA. Candidates are more than just a number at USC.

The school is massive. The pharmacy school building is 7 story high and we also share another building with the physical therapy students. The school uses two 200 seat lecture halls and one 400 seat lecture hall.

Members don't see this ad :)
BMBiology, do you know if USC offers an interview to people who barely miss the pre-pharm math and science GPA cutoff? I still have some science courses to take so it's not a complete GPA yet, but I was wondering whether to wait until I'm done or to apply early and take my chances. I applied last year, but at the deadline and was rejected because of missing the cut-off.

I understand your dilemma because I too did poorly my first year in college.

I read in another post that you are planning to take the science courses during winter and spring. I do remember hearing that USC rarely interview anyone with a GPA under 3.0 unless that person is an exceptional applicant in terms of other accomplishments. I remember a few months ago, USC had a special day when they interviewed these exceptional applicants. I would suggest that you email the admissions director directly and ask him (please check your PM). In your personal statement, you should not only explain why you did not do well during your first year, but more importantly what you have learned from it and how you were able to improve.

I know you said you have to work during fall and cannot take it but how about night classes at a JC? I think that is an option you should explore. I hope this helps.

My overall GPA and overall science GPA are above a 3.0, but unfortunately, the pre-pharm math and science that USC requires was calculated to be lower without the missing classes. I will look into taking the courses at night. I just want to make sure I can devote enough time to them so that I can do really well. I'm hoping I do not have to wait another cycle to apply, but I'll see what the admissions director's advice is on this.

I noticed that USC doesn't require laptops--do they loan them out or do we use the computer lab? Do you suggest that I get one? If I do, will the school give me the necessary programs/softwares?

Thanks your help!

FutureRxGal said:
I called USC today. A lady from admissions told me that they'd accept either Cell Bio or Genetics in lieu of Molecular Biology from my college. Looks like I may apply to USC. :)

You should definitely apply. It's a great option. I love the curriculum.

The computer labs are sufficient enough to do all of ur work in. At times, there will be mandatory computer projects that will require u to be at the computer lab at a specific time. However, I do find using a lab top to be very convenient. There will be many presentations starting second year of the school, which will require u to work in groups most of the time. The lab top would be very convient for this purpose. My other suggestion is maybe get a laser printer or something that prints very fast. So is a lab top mandatory? The answer is no, but it does make life a little easier.

I hope to be there in 4 years...wish me luck, hopefully i'm on the right path!!!! :D

Hey everyone

I just received an email from USC stating that I have prerequisites missing- (8 prereqs). After this quarter, I will have 6 prereqs remaining. Will I not be considered for an interview because I might have more prereqs missing than the other applicants? It's just that USC requires so many prereqs compared to the other CA pharm schools that I haven't been able to get to them all before I submitted my apps. I completed the OCHEM series however. My GPA is ~3.5. Science is around ~3.4. I'm a little concerned they'll overlook me because of the 8 missing prereqs. After this quarter, I'll have 6 more prereqs.
:confused: hmm..

Thanks
Tami :D

USC is not such a great school I went there for 2 years and got into a car accident missed my finals. Had enough to still pass the classes with C's but my GPA went to 2.93 and they dissmissed me because they had a policy where you had to call before the exam. Yeah I was unconscious in the hospital, now I am trying to transfer and ever school requires a letter from the dean explaining the situation and USC refuses to help or assist me in any way possible. Great people at USC like Dr. Weissman should be taken out back and shot.

What a sales pitch! Now if only I had applied with my PCAT 99th percentile :cool:

And I must lol @ gross anatomy. Who would dissect cadavers and not be a doctor. Well, we know not me. That was one of the major reasons I didn't look to become a doctor