Top 10 programs in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am sure this topic has been covered before, but I would appreciate some feedback.

What would you consider to be the top 10 EM programs in the US?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. Place where you will be happy.
2. Place where you will be second most happy.
3. Place where you will be third most happy.
4. Place where you will be fourth most happy.
5. Place where you will be fifth most happy.
6. Place where you will be sixth most happy.
7. Place where you will be seventh most happy.
8. Place where you will be eighth most happy.
9. Place where you will be ninth most happy.
10. This may come as a surprise, but a little known program known as "place where you will be tenth most happy" or otherwise known as "a last ditch rank effort."

The top 10 programs according to the SAEM (and they should know) are:

University of Alabama at Birmingham
Maricopa Medical Center
University of Arizona
University of Arkansas
Kern Medical Center
University of California - Fresno
Loma Linda University
UCLA - Olive View-UCLA Emergency Medicine
LAC/USC Medical Center
Martin Luther King Hospital

in that order.

Members don't see this ad :)
docB said:

Maricopa Medical Center
University of Arizona
University of Arkansas
Kern Medical Center
Loma Linda University
LAC/USC Medical Center

in that order.

That's a joke, right? Some of those are competitive, but generally not the most difficult to get into. MLK in particular has historically had problems filling their spots.

docB said:

Maricopa Medical Center
University of Arizona
University of Arkansas
Kern Medical Center
Loma Linda University
LAC/USC Medical Center

in that order.

Wow, Maricopa really that far up! :thumbup:

Actually I'm pretty sure Wake is #1.

Anyway, the gist is that this has been asked and answered many, many times ad nauseaum. The relevant posts are listed in the FAQ.

All EM programs have a different flavor.

Some programs are stronger in others in certain regards. Some programs have more trauma, some have more peds. In some places, attendings control the ED, others are more resident-run. In order to find out more info, you can go to SAEM website and talk to residents from that program.

There are a few programs that are listed as 'Top' programs, but everyone's list differs. In general, there are a few programs that consistantly make the top of the list, usually based on the research reputation of the faculty: Denver, Hennepin, USC, Highland, Jacobi, Bellevue, Pitt to name a few. These programs definately have their strengths and weaknesses as well.

Like many have said, your best bet to become the best doctor you can be is choose a program where you'll be happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Desperado said:
I don't get it. How can Wake and University of Arizona be number one?

Weird, in the "US News and World Report" Annual "Best Emergency Medicine Residencies" it says that University of South Florida is #1 with a very distant second place being Denver. I'd put a link but I'm too busy right now.

QuinnNSU said:
Weird, in the "US News and World Report" Annual "Best Emergency Medicine Residencies" it says that University of South Florida is #1 with a very distant second place being Denver. I'd put a link but I'm too busy right now.

That was the 2003 "US News and World Report." This year's issue clearly shows that Maricopa Medical Center has surged into a strong first place position. I'd post the article for all to read, but we didn't get to number one by sittin' around surfin' the net.

margaritaboy said:
That was the 2003 "US News and World Report." This year's issue clearly shows that Maricopa Medical Center has surged into a strong first place position. I'd post the article for all to read, but we didn't get to number one by sittin' around surfin' the net.

That's right, I forgot that MMC had like a $2.8 billion dollar budget for research, and 100,000 in research expenditures for each EM resident. No wonder you overtook us for #1!

You guys are all wrong. What USNews and WR actually said was that the community hospital system that I work for is the best EM residency which is saying a lot since we don't actually have a residency. We are definitely the most exclusive. No one has ever made the cut.

My numbers come from a survey of professional drug seekers and malingerers.

Seaglass said:
My numbers come from a survey of professional drug seekers and malingerers.

Hey! That is blatant plagerism of our academic mantra. We here at The Copa invented drug seekers and malingerers!

Just another example of a valuble contribution that you all can credit to The Copa.

Thanks for the thread :)! I'm STILL laughing - what a great end to my day.

This made me laugh and needed a bump!

MLK is actually not a bad bet. Since the program will close, if you match there, then there's a good possibility that you'll end up being transferred to a "strong" program like USC, or UCLA.

MLK is actually not a bad bet. Since the program will close, if you match there, then there's a good possibility that you'll end up being transferred to a "strong" program like USC, or UCLA.

Oh! I totally didn't mean it like that GV!!!

Tongue in cheek. Well played!:laugh: However if it was anyone besides Veers who said it it would be rude.

Maxim ranks UVA as no. 1 and, oddly, no. 4.5 also. Good times.

yeh, I actually read that maxim edition. they also ranked UVB, and a place called SPF as #30.

yeh, I actually read that maxim edition. they also ranked UVB, and a place called SPF as #30.

Sorry, but I've seen SPF ranked as low as 45.

10. This may come as a surprise, but a little known program known as "place where you will be tenth most happy" or otherwise known as "a last ditch rank effort."

Actually, the #10 program is In N Out burger. You can contact the PD for an early match at this address:

[email protected]

Dude.. you guys should know that the U of A is great. Sure our football team sucks.. but man the EM program is great!

All EM programs have a different flavor.
Hennepin tastes like graham crackers, ultrasound goop, and a surprisingly decent chicken chimichanga from the cafeteria.

I rank Maxim #1, anyone else agree? I'd like to go to residency there (wherever it is).

I rank Maxim #1, anyone else agree? I'd like to go to residency there (wherever it is).

I agree...heard their new residents this year have great a...I mean ARE great assets to the program...

I prefer the New Yorker program myself. They have the best academics, and you learn how to act better than everyone else.

Yeah, but your humor is always just a bit off.

Take care,
Jeff