How to memorize the structures of 20 amino acids found in proteins?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am required to memorize the structure and properties of every amino acid found in proteins for my cell bio class. I am wondering what techniques you guys have used to effectively memorize the amino acids? Any tips are welcome! Thanks!! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Draw them over and over and over again. Also, remember certain trends (which are basic, which have sulfur, etc.).

I agree, and I recommend also writing down the properties of each AA next to the structure every time. Memorize/draw them in groups, so you kind of chunk subsets of them together.

Members don't see this ad :)
association and mneumonics is the key to long term absorption, not to say that you do not stil have to memorize, it is just not rote memorization. I PM'd you.

Smooth Operater said:
I am required to memorize the structure and properties of every amino acid found in proteins for my cell bio class. I am wondering what techniques you guys have used to effectively memorize the amino acids? Any tips are welcome! Thanks!! :thumbup:

Look at them for a long time and then go ahead and memorize them.

Flash Cards and Repetitious writing of them on Paper or a Chalk/White Board.

3-4 iterations and you should be good! :thumbup:

[Grammar Police]

It's "Mnemonics," not "pneumonics"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Further mis-spellings will be subject to being strung up by your pinky toes. :D

[/Grammar Police]

:)

EvoDevo said:
[Grammar Police]

It's "Mnemonics," not "pneumonics"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Further mis-spellings will be subject to being strung up by your pinky toes. :D

[/Grammar Police]

:)

Be gone spook.

Draw them over and over, in different color crayons.

Worked for me. Damn histidine was my least favorite.

Dear science:

There are too many amino acids these days. I suggest you eliminate three. I am not a crackpot.

In my biochem class, the prof made us learn the structure, name, three-letter code, and 1-letter code for each amino acid. Based on that, I learned them "alphabetically"--I would write the one-letter code for an amino acid, then its corresponding three-letter code, full name, and write out its structure.....I would repeat this sequence alphabetically (A, C, D, E, F...no B because there is no amino acid that uses B for its 1-letter code) and then write them over and over again alphabetically until I learned them. Sounds crazy, but it gave some structure to how I learned it and a few patterns also came out (i.e. the structure of the hydrocarbon chain on valine (V) kind of looks like a V!)

If you don't have to learn the three-letter codes, you might want to learn the one-letter ones....no acid shares the same letter, so it's easy to make up words and mnemonics when you're trying to group the amindo acids into categories (i.e. basic, nonpolar, etc). Hope this helps!

FAMILY VW

Those are the one letter abbrviations for the nonpolar amino acids...

DrThom said:
FAMILY VW

Those are the one letter abbrviations for the nonpolar amino acids...

FILL MY VW

RED CATS

HK RED

Members don't see this ad :)
what a waste of time...you think that stops in med school?...think again. they make us memorize even more asinine things.

:mad:

I just had to do this. I was able to conquer them in about 3 days just by drawing them over and over again.

So far we haven't had to memorize the 20 AA for class - but just curious - would it be expected come MCAT time.

lattimer13 said:
what a waste of time...you think that stops in med school?...think again. they make us memorize even more asinine things.

:mad:
you will see lots of mneumonics in med school. Learn to use them and create them now to ensure survival later.

learn them in groups. acid, basic, hydrophobic, hydrophillic, -oh's, AA's with unique properties. it's really not bad.

get used to memorizing things. thats all med school is about. you think amino acids are bad? just wait till pharmacology!

Reactions: 1 user
stoic said:
learn them in groups. acid, basic, hydrophobic, hydrophillic, -oh's, AA's with unique properties. it's really not bad.

I also learned them with groups...I managed to learn them all in a night, so its really not that bad! Just start with non-polar uncharged ones, starting with glycine and then go from there, i kinda of remembered them in order...like glycine +CH3 is alanine...alanine + 2 more CH3s is valine and so on. I just did the non-polar uncharged ones, then polar uncharged, and then positively charged and negatively charged. Once you sit down and really start going at it, it really won't be that bad!

Here is the way I group them in my head for memorizing, please notice that I do not necessarily group like polarity, charge, etc., I figure that can easily be done by examining the structures once you know them:

For gluatmic acid and glutamine and aspartic acid and asparagine I remember that the "ines" are the amide derivatives of the acids. With asp____ I remember that there is only one carbon before the carbonyl carbon (C=O) and with glut____ I remember that there are two carbons before the carbonyl carbon.

I like to group serine and cysteine together. Serine is one carbon then an alcohol, whereas cysteine is one carbon then a thiol. Cysteine has Sulfur in it because it stinks like an old puss-filled cyst.

Glycine is the achiral amino acid with a simple hydrogen for its R group, Alanine has a simple carbon (technically a simple methane but the fact that Carbon is bonded to something else should be implied) for its R group. Phenylalanine has a benzene ring attached to the simple carbon found in alanine (This makes sense, if you remember for organic chemistry "phenyl" means the benzene ring is directly attached to something, ie. phenyl alcohol, aka phenol.) Tyrosine takes that benzene ring in phenylalanine and makes it a phenol, where the alcohol is attached para to the amino acid chain.

Since I just mentioned Tyrosine I think it's a good time to bring up Threonine. I think of the T-words as the complicated alcohols. Tyrosine has the ring, because it is shaped like a tire. Threonine is just a modified serine (The simple alcohol) with an extra carbon attached to the first carbon in the R group. Hey while we're going with letters, the complex T's follow the simple S (for serine) alphabetically.

Valine's R group is in a V formation (three carbons attached to the amino acid in the middle of them, flaring out the end carbons in what looks like to me as a V). The leucines (leucine and isoleucine) both have four carbons. Leucine is like valine but the attachment is on the first carbon of alanine rather than directly to the main Amino acid backbone. Isoleucine resembles valine directly but one of the sides of the V has another carbon attached to it. As you may have guessed this makes the R group chiral but I wouldn't worry about it.

Proline is crazy, the 3 carbon long R group is attached directly to the amino portion of the amino acid backbone. Thus, there are cis and trans forms of proline but I wouldn't worry about it.

Tryptophan is Weird, not only is the word funny looking but the R group is pretty funky looking as well and it's single letter abbreviation is W which stands for weird (haha not really). Its ring structure resembles a purine. (remember what those are? The A's and G's in Genetics!)

Methionine is good stuff, as many of you remember it is the amino acid that is on the Amino-acyl TRNA with the start anticodon. the THIO in methionine tells you that it has a sulfer in it. It has three carbons in it, with the sulfur acting as a thioether between the first two carbons and the third. C-C-S-C. One way to remember this is by putting cysteine and methionine together. First you could say that it's another one of those cases (like with aspartic acid and glutamic acid) where one has two carbons before the "special" thing and the other has one. In this case methionine has the two, and alphabetically it follows cysteine, so that is helpful. But what about the third carbon? Well, if it wasn't there and an H was there instead then you could make disulfide bonds. If you remember that typically only cysteine is involved in disulfide bonds then you will probably remember to put another carbon on methionine.

Lysine's R group is an Amine. Four carbons and then the amino group sticks right on it. I typically abbreviate it R= -(CH2)4-NH3+.

Histidine is a really important amino acid located in the active sites of enzymes. This is because its pKa is closest to the physiological pH. It's a funky ring attached to the R group of alanine.

Finally we have arginine. This guy is just plain creepy looking. There are three nitrogens in the R group. There is a lot of resonance going on here. After three carbons, a nitrogen attaches and this nitrogen is part of a triad of nitrogens that surround a centrally located carbon.

I hope this helps. If there are any problems with this please tell me and I will update it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for reminding me about how much biochem I've forgotten :laugh:

Medikit said:
I hope this helps.

You bet it does. A thorough and cogent yet brief presentation. I am about to make up my flashcards and this really helped.

Smooth Operater said:
Just like most people said, practice drawing them out, not so sure about just looking at them. Put them in groups. Find an order that works for you.I do 6,6,3,3 and 2 (non polar, polar, aromatic, +vely charged, -vely charged). This has always worked for me. Also, notice the pattern;e.g: how one has one more CH2 group than the other, etc...

check out lehninger's 4th ed.; they organize it well. I looked at that table like twice and i had em all memorized; you will too...

liverotcod said:
You bet it does. A thorough and cogent yet brief presentation. I am about to make up my flashcards and this really helped.

I had to update it, I got the carbons in threonine wrong.

davematthews said:
you will see lots of mneumonics in med school. Learn to use them and create them now to ensure survival later.

thanks for the insight. :rolleyes:

"Tyrosine has the ring, because it is shaped like a tire."

what an awesome mnemonic.

What's wrong with you people?

The AA's take all of 30 minutes to memorize!?!? Do you guys just not have any visual memory whatsoever? I can't believe such an easy task got an entire thread.

tinkerbelle said:
"Tyrosine has the ring, because it is shaped like a tire."

what an awesome mnemonic.
I used this same mnemonic. :thumbup:

I also had something about Tryptophan being trippy.

I had to memorize them in cell bio a couple of years ago, but only enough to recognize the structure and describe the properties. Now, I have to really memorize them and draw them for BioChem. eh.

For glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, and krebs cycle, I made a huge poster with butcher paper and some big markers and taped it to the wall of my dorm room (it also covered up that ugly spot on the wall behind my futon). Then, I looked at it every night before bed, and used it to study. Really helped. Best of luck.

Thanks!!!!!!!!

I like your funny mneumonics!

-tx

Medikit said:
Here is the way I group them in my head for memorizing, please notice that I do not necessarily group like polarity, charge, etc., I figure that can easily be done by examining the structures once you know them:

For gluatmic acid and glutamine and aspartic acid and asparagine I remember that the "ines" are the amide derivatives of the acids. With asp____ I remember that there is only one carbon before the carbonyl carbon (C=O) and with glut____ I remember that there are two carbons before the carbonyl carbon.

I like to group serine and cysteine together. Serine is one carbon then an alcohol, whereas cysteine is one carbon then a thiol.

Glycine is the achiral amino acid with a simple hydrogen for its R group, Alanine has a simple carbon for its R group. Phenylalanine has a benzene ring attached to the simple carbon found in alanine (This makes sense, if you remember for organic chemistry "phenyl" means the benzene ring is directly attached to something, ie. phenyl alcohol, aka phenol.) Tyrosine takes that benzene ring in phenylalanine and makes it a phenol, where the alcohol is attached para to the amino acid chain.

Since I just mentioned Tyrosine I think it's a good time to bring up Threonine. I think of the T-words as the complicated alcohols. Tyrosine has the ring, because it is shaped like a tire. Threonine is like serine (The simple alcohol) with an extra carbon attached to the first carbon in the R group. Hey while we're going with letters, the complex T's follow the simple S alphabetically.

Valine's R group is in a V formation (three carbons attached to the amino acid in the middle of them, flaring out the end carbons in what looks like to me as a V). The leucines (leucine and isoleucine) both have four carbons. Leucine is like valine but the attachment is on the first carbon of alanine rather than directly to the main Amino acid backbone. Isoleucine resembles valine directly but one of the sides of the V has another carbon attached to it. As you may have guessed this makes the R group chiral but I wouldn't worry about it.

Proline is crazy, the 3 carbon long R group is attached directly to the amino portion of the amino acid backbone. Thus, there are cis and trans forms of proline but I wouldn't worry about it.

Tryptophan is nuts and hey it makes sense because the word looks weird and it's single letter abbreviation is W which stands for weird (haha not really). Its structure is the basic structure of a purine, but you probably don't know the structure of purines yet (remember what those are? The A's and G's in Genetics!)

Methionine is good stuff, as many of you remember it is the amino acid that is on the Amino-acyl TRNA with the start anticodon. the THIO in methionine tells you that it has a sulfer in it. It has three carbons in it, with the sulfur acting as a thioether between the first two carbons and the third. C-C-S-C

Lysine's R group is an Amine. Four carbons and then the amino group sticks right on it. I typically abbreviate it R= -(CH2)4-NH3+.

Histidine is a really important amino acid located in the active sites of enzymes. This is because its pKa is closest to the physiological pH. It's a funky ring attached to the R group of alanine.

Finally we have arginine. This guy is just plain creepy looking. There are three nitrogens in the R group. There is a lot of resonance going on here. After three carbons, a nitrogen attaches and this nitrogen is part of a triad of nitrogens that surround a centrally located carbon.

I hope this helps. If there are any problems with this please tell me and I will update it.

will this be on the mcat??? :scared:

Peterock said:
Yes (or at least, probably).

This man is a waste of oxygen. Do not believe him.

there are 22 amino acids actually....and one of them is an imino acid

Fed Meat said:
This man is a waste of oxygen. Do not believe him.

Oh really?

I had one question about amino acids on my biological sciences MCAT, a free standing question which means there was no passage to go along w/ the question.

It was very simple, like:"what is the chemical structure of tyrosine?"
A) pic B) pic C) pic D) pic

Literally, the next question said "which diagram shows lactose?"

Etc. Same types of questions where the knowledge is ENTIRELY based on memorization. Have you taken the MCAT or are you talking out of your ass? Go post in the MCAT forum and ask if anyone else has had an AA question, I know a friend who had yet another AA question on this past August test. I don't think AA questoins are common, but YES, it is on there.

Oh yes, and Fed Meat, eat a fatty.

I've had to remember the amino acids for three different classes. I was a biochem major, go figure.

Everyone's given pretty good hints. Here's one that might be useful

The hydrophobic amino acids are : FAMILY VW

It's not entirely true, depending on how you categorize it, but pretty good most of the time. A native-German professor taught this to me in a protein structure class, so he had to put volkswagen in there.

Write them on the back of your hand. :thumbup:

hey guys! thanx for all your help! I am wondering if you guys can share what Mnemonics according to the 3 letter symbols you guys used to classify the uncharged non-polar and uncharged polar a.a ? Maybe u can share them?

Thanks for the help ya'll!!! I got them all memorized and aced my quiz :thumbup:

-tx

Peterock said:
I had one question about amino acids on my biological sciences MCAT, a free standing question which means there was no passage to go along w/ the question.

It was very simple, like:"what is the chemical structure of tyrosine?"

Literally, the next question said "which diagram shows lactose?"

Etc. Same types of questions where the knowledge is ENTIRELY based on memorization. .

I had similar questions on the MCAT, but they did not require knowing the structure - they just required you 1) recognize tyrosine as an amino acid and then 2) choosing the pic with the basic AA structure: H3N-c-COOH etc.

I did have to know to lactose and galactose - but again is was distinguishing on which was a disacc. formed from two different or identical sugars...

Another +1 for just writing them out. We had to memorize structures and various info for all of them and I was able to do it in one night from nothing. There's so much repeated structure in them that it's actually very simple to memorize in a few hours.

Another +1 for just writing them out. We had to memorize structures and various info for all of them and I was able to do it in one night from nothing. There's so much repeated structure in them that it's actually very simple to memorize in a few hours.

This is a ten year old thread. lol

Reactions: 2 users
This is a ten year old thread. lol

10 years is a long time. Bet OP forgot the structure. vin5cent0 is probably just telling the OP to rewrite to not forget :D

Reactions: 2 users
What is with these necrobumps that aren't even funny

Reactions: 1 users