PCOM-Georgia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicola1926

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This message is for anybody that has already interviewed at PCOM-Georgia. How was your experience, and do you have any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Nicola1926 said:
This message is for anybody that has already interviewed at PCOM-Georgia. How was your experience, and do you have any suggestions?

Interesting, I never knew there was this medical school in GA. Do they interview in GA or in PA? I never knew about this campus, or I would have applied. Good luck all!

great experience and the interview was laid back. Just know why you want to be a doc and osteo physician. Look at the interview feedback; thats where most of my questions came from.

They interview in GA (duluth)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sending my deposit tomorrow. The interview was very easygoing. Know the basics: Why DO? Why doc? Check interview feedback.

My interview was a single 2 local DO's-on-1. Not confrontational or nerve racking at all. Good luck.

Captain Jack, this is the first class for the GA campus of PCOM, 80 students, $14 Million dollar brand new 95,000 SF facility with room for expansion. Includes patient simulator, great OMM lab, wireless, leading edge library technology, group study rooms, and a fitness facility. Bankrolled by PCOM in cash. No debt.

I wonder if they'll swing any of that $80million towards scholarships?

OrthoFixation said:
I'm sending my deposit tomorrow. The interview was very easygoing. Know the basics: Why DO? Why doc? Check interview feedback.

My interview was a single 2 local DO's-on-1. Not confrontational or nerve racking at all. Good luck.

Captain Jack, this is the first class for the GA campus of PCOM, 80 students, $14 Million dollar brand new 95,000 SF facility with room for expansion. Includes patient simulator, great OMM lab, wireless, leading edge library technology, group study rooms, and a fitness facility. Bankrolled by PCOM in cash. No debt.

Hope you liked it...my tuition paid for it!!

:p

JPHazelton said:

We'll see. I'll be interviewing tomorrow. I might be one of those to take advantage of the building your tuition paid for. If so, thanks! :)

JPHazelton said:

That tuition is steep. I'm looking for in-state love (and less tuition $$$). I hate to overpay!

Hope you guys like your Head of Basic Sciences. He is coming to you off of about 20 years at OSU-COM. We were Dr. Watson's last class here before he departed for Georgia. If you have an interest in endocrinology research, you'll love him! Good luck with the apps and interviews!

I just finished interviewing this morning. The school seems awesome and I think they are attractingsome great teachers. However, I am not sure it is worth the money. There are other places I would feel more comfortable at for a lot less money. We'll see!

just found out today that I'm in!!!!

ArmyDoc1999 said:
Hope you guys like your Head of Basic Sciences. He is coming to you off of about 20 years at OSU-COM. We were Dr. Watson's last class here before he departed for Georgia. If you have an interest in endocrinology research, you'll love him! Good luck with the apps and interviews!

The Vice Dean/Chief Academic Officer is also coming directly from OSU-COM. Dr. Evans left to be at PCOM right before your class started. Another loss for OSU, but gain for PCOM-Georgia

Members don't see this ad :)
I just thought I'd post this: They just updated their website and noted that about 40 candidates had been interviewed so far out of over 1000 apps from AACOMAS, and 35 of those interviewed were accepted for a class size of 80. So it looks like a good number of interviews are still on the way. Good luck to everyone, and congrats to those who have been accepted.

I got an email already! I'm accepted, just waiting on an official letter. Now, I have a few weeks to make a final decision between three schools. We'll see what happens. How many of you have already "for sure" decided on PCOM-GA?

I interviewed on 6th January and i haven't heard anything back. There are few of you who interviewed on 7th January and have already got emails and letters. Do you guys think that as i haven't heard anything back from them, i am rejected.
Did anyone from SDN never received an acceptance email but later got an acceptance letter via snail mail.
Thanks

My guess is that your file will be sent to the adcom in Philly for consideration. During our day, Dr. Evans said that some will be expedited based on how close the interviewers scores are and then those that have scores that differ will be sent to the adcom in Philly to be decided on. Don't sweat it yet!

Geronimo said:
My guess is that your file will be sent to the adcom in Philly for consideration. During our day, Dr. Evans said that some will be expedited based on how close the interviewers scores are and then those that have scores that differ will be sent to the adcom in Philly to be decided on. Don't sweat it yet!

Congrats Geronimo and thanks for replying.
I called the Atlanta office and they said i should be getting a letter in the mail soon as the letter has already been mailed. So this sounds like it was a super fast rejection just like what Dr. Evans said super fast acceptance :laugh:

Come on now :) You know better than that. Unless you had a 3 or a 5 on an MCAT section, do not doubt yourself so quickly!

mandar said:
Congrats Geronimo and thanks for replying.
I called the Atlanta office and they said i should be getting a letter in the mail soon as the letter has already been mailed. So this sounds like it was a super fast rejection just like what Dr. Evans said super fast acceptance :laugh:

It took them more than a month to let me know about my acceptance. Dont sweat it

I just got my acceptance letter.
To all of those who answered my stupid questions and supported me: Thanks
To all of those who are still in the process, one simple advice:
Never Never Never give up

Congrats Mandar, Brent and Geronimo. Email me or PM me if you will be in ATL anytime soon. I would like to organize a get together for all PCOM-GA class of 2009 somewhere here.

BMW-

mandar said:
I just got my acceptance letter.
To all of those who answered my stupid questions and supported me: Thanks
To all of those who are still in the process, one simple advice:
Never Never Never give up

BMW19 said:
Congrats Mandar, Brent and Geronimo. Email me or PM me if you will be in ATL anytime soon. I would like to organize a get together for all PCOM-GA class of 2009 somewhere here.

BMW-

BMW,
Thanks. I would love to meet you all but i live in Midwest (Indiana), way up in the corn country :laugh:
Please can we meet sometime later may be in March/April.
Can you PM your email address and i will do the same so we can keep in touch.

Mandar

Congrats Mandar

Geronimo said:
Congrats Mandar

Geronimo,
Thanks. I read your previous post where you had some doubts or questions about PCOM-Atlanta. I have the same doubts about Atlanta campus as it a very new facility. But we being their first batch, they are going to make sure that we do well because the reputation of this campus depends on the first batch. Also they are attracting some good faculty from other schools, so that is a plus. Being close to a big city like Atlanta, we should have opportunities to rotate in some of the best hospitals in the south. If I am not mistaken (and people from Georgia and south can correct me if I am worng) Atlanta is like New York of south with lot of big hospitals and lot of residency programs (not in DO per se but in MD) just like in New York or chicago.
And at the end when we get our Diploma, it is going to say graduate of PCOM and nothing about the campus (correct me if I am wrong) and as we all know PCOM is highly regarded not just in the field of osteopathic medicine but overall in medicine.
This is my 2 cents and again I may not be right on some of the issues

Mandar

mandar said:
And at the end when we get our Diploma, it is going to say graduate of PCOM and nothing about the campus (correct me if I am wrong) .
I had not heard that before. I find that very interesting indeed. Yes, they are going to have rotations at St. Joseph and Atlanta Medical Center near Grady along with other rotations around GA and surrounding states. I was impressed to hear about those. I suppose that it will probably come down to cost. The school seems plenty strong enough for my concerns and they have a great deal of possibility that attracts me. However, I know I can go to other schools with large emphasis on rural medicine (my interest) for a good deal less. I'll just have to wait and see if there are enough scholarship opportunities before I decide on a school.

i went to interview yesterday. and i think everything that could go wrong did. my plane arrived late and it took forever to get a shuttle and leave-i also got ripped off at the end for the ride. Couldnt fall asleep, and the iron leaked water on my shirt, blow dryer didnt work, shower was cold. the hotel forgot my wake up call. luckily, i found the place fast.

the actual interview itself: you know how they tell you that you should leave with a smile on your face, well i didnt. i got this confrontational vibe from them and felt they were out to get me... there were times i felt like i was talking to a brick wall(like when you dont know whether you should stop talking or not..). i told them about my experience as a violin teacher and neurology research. they asked me why my MCAT score was good (27p) while having some bad grades. i explained that i took 19 hours both semesters of senior year while working and volunteering and was vice president of my service frat. i said it was stressful and one of the toughest times of my life and that in med school all i will do is focus on my studies. I also had a 3.45 before that time. but i dont know if they bought it. oh well

afterwards, i ended up waiting 9-10 hours at the airport cuz my flight was cancelled, but on the flight back a family sitting behind me was fighting and dishing out the F-word like free samples. one guy almost got into a fight with a stewardess even. plus there was a mom with two small kids next to me...

sorry about grammar- that was my experience at PCOM georgia. they said wait 1-2 weeks. i wouldnt be surprised with a rejection.

omelette1230 said:
i went to interview yesterday. and i think everything that could go wrong did. my plane arrived late and it took forever to get a shuttle and leave-i also got ripped off at the end for the ride. Couldnt fall asleep, and the iron leaked water on my shirt, blow dryer didnt work, shower was cold. the hotel forgot my wake up call. luckily, i found the place fast.

the actual interview itself: you know how they tell you that you should leave with a smile on your face, well i didnt. i got this confrontational vibe from them and felt they were out to get me... there were times i felt like i was talking to a brick wall(like when you dont know whether you should stop talking or not..). i told them about my experience as a violin teacher and neurology research. they asked me why my MCAT score was good (27p) while having some bad grades. i explained that i took 19 hours both semesters of senior year while working and volunteering and was vice president of my service frat. i said it was stressful and one of the toughest times of my life and that in med school all i will do is focus on my studies. I also had a 3.45 before that time. but i dont know if they bought it. oh well

afterwards, i ended up waiting 9-10 hours at the airport cuz my flight was cancelled, but on the flight back a family sitting behind me was fighting and dishing out the F-word like free samples. one guy almost got into a fight with a stewardess even. plus there was a mom with two small kids next to me...

sorry about grammar- that was my experience at PCOM georgia. they said wait 1-2 weeks. i wouldnt be surprised with a rejection.

omelette,
Don't be discouraged and don't give up hope. All the things which you mentioned above could have happen to anyone but always look at the end result. With all that things which went wrong, the end result may be good. That is life and that what life is meant to be. I hope you get accepted and wish you good luck.
But just imagine how much experience you have gain in those 24 hours and how well prepared you are going to be for the next interview.
I hope you get good news in two weeks.

Mandar

Don't sweat it omelette. With a 27P, you were probably afforded a few mistakes in other ways. Unless you have a 2.0, you probably have a good shot. You didn't use foul language in your interview did you ?:) That might have been a no-no but the water/iron thing and not smiling are not biggies. I actually mismatched my pants and jacket at KCOM, said several "bumbling idiot" comments and still managed to get accepted. Don't worry yet.

I've sent in my letter to Dr. Evans letting him know to offer my seat to someone else. It turned out they didn't have "any" scholarship available at this time unless I was a minority student. They said I would be an excellent candidate for the NHSC scholarship (which I can also get anywhere else except VCOM). My decision is to go to ETSU where tuition is half that of VCOM and PCOM-GA. That way, if the NHSC doesn't work out, I won't be taking out quite as much in loans, plus I'm likely to get a little scholarship there based on Financial need. Best of luck to all of you at PCOM-GA, it looks like a fantastic school. If you need help with the area, my parents live two miles from the school.

I just left my interview with PCOM Georgia. I was really impressed, and the interview went okay. Two DO's interviewed me and it lasted about 30min, they asked the typical questions... Why DO, Why Medicine, MCAT, GPA,kk What are you most proud of etc. The school is going to be really high tech, and they are suppose to make a decision today. Dr. Evans said he would have a decision in the mail Monday of this upcoming week. I am nervous, but at the same time I have done all I can do. It is out of my hands, so now I wait but not for long thank GOD. Good Luck to anyone who has not interviewed yet.

Nicola1926 said:
I just left my interview with PCOM Georgia. I was really impressed, and the interview went okay. Two DO's interviewed me and it lasted about 30min, they asked the typical questions... Why DO, Why Medicine, MCAT, GPA,kk What are you most proud of etc. The school is going to be really high tech, and they are suppose to make a decision today. Dr. Evans said he would have a decision in the mail Monday of this upcoming week. I am nervous, but at the same time I have done all I can do. It is out of my hands, so now I wait but not for long thank GOD. Good Luck to anyone who has not interviewed yet.

Nicola,
Chill out and take it easy.
I was in the same place as you a couple of weeks ago and i was really nervous that I am going to be rejected as it was my first interview.
If they told you that you are going to get something in mail on monday which means you are accepted. I live in midwest and I got the letter in mail on monday which said " Accepted". If the interviewers really like you, they don't have t go back to the committee and your letter will be mailed to you the day you interview.
I interviewed on 7th January and this is what we (All the people who interviewed that day) heard Dr. Evans telling other faculty "We have interviewed 40 people till now, we have send accpetance letter to 35 and till now 17 people have send the deposit"
They have 80 seats in all and so there are enough seats still available.

Good luck and do let us know when you get your accptance letter.
And of course don't forget to party that night :laugh:

Mandar

Geronimo said:
Come on now :) You know better than that. Unless you had a 3 or a 5 on an MCAT section, do not doubt yourself so quickly!

Do they even interview you if you have a 3 or 5 on an MCAT section?
I have friends with high GPA's and low MCAT's that gave up applying for DO school, but if you know someone that was granted an interview with 3's and 5's on the MCAT, please let me know so I can give them some encouragement. Thanks! :)

mercy4052 said:
Do they even interview you if you have a 3 or 5 on an MCAT section?
I have friends with high GPA's and low MCAT's that gave up applying for DO school, but if you know someone that was granted an interview with 3's and 5's on the MCAT, please let me know so I can give them some encouragement. Thanks! :)

I certainly hope they do not interview those with 3's or 5's. There are way too many people fighting for the spots available now to do that. Tell your friends to retake the MCAT.

I'm new to this DO type thing but I'm from Atlanta (Lilburn) and I know PCOM-GA is right up the street. Anyways, if she's taking heat for her scores...

How bad does this look

142 hours completed
BS Cellular Biology from one of the top programs (UGA-in top 10 nationally)
3.2 GPA
3.2 BCMP
30Q on MCAT
5th year Sr.

Scott

You're stats are fine. I get the feeling that you need to learn more about osteopathic medicine from your use of the phrase "DO thing." Most DO programs want their students to have a firm grasp about the history and philosophy of osteopathy.

By the way, I'm from GA. I ended up with a degree in Cell Bio from ASU, and now I'm a second year DO student at AZCOM.

Good luck!

Cyndi
fahimaz7 said:
I'm new to this DO type thing but I'm from Atlanta (Lilburn) and I know PCOM-GA is right up the street. Anyways, if she's taking heat for her scores...

How bad does this look

142 hours completed
BS Cellular Biology from one of the top programs (UGA-in top 10 nationally)
3.2 GPA
3.2 BCMP
30Q on MCAT
5th year Sr.

Scott

Word, I'll apply DO if I don't get into the MD program this time around.

How's the cell program up at app state? I was going to apply to the grad program there but I learned it was 4th tier or lower. Is that the case?

Scott

bigbassinbob said:
I certainly hope they do not interview those with 3's or 5's. There are way too many people fighting for the spots available now to do that. Tell your friends to retake the MCAT.
I knew one guy earlier on another PCOM thread who was interviewed at GA with a 5 on one of his section scores but he wasn't accepted. He also got an interview at VCOM.

fahimaz7 said:
Word, I'll apply DO if I don't get into the MD program this time around.

How's the cell program up at app state? I was going to apply to the grad program there but I learned it was 4th tier or lower. Is that the case?

Scott

Actually, I graduated from Arizona State. The program was pretty good. I wasn't disappointed. I got to do research for Dr. Joseph Graves- a pretty big name in evolutionary bio.

And I would suggest that you not use the DO as a backup for MS unless you really believe in or enjoy OMM. Otherwise, you'll regret you're decision because DO students spend a good deal of time learning and practicing it.

cdreed said:
And I would suggest that you not use the DO as a backup for MS unless you really believe in or enjoy OMM. Otherwise, you'll regret you're decision because DO students spend a good deal of time learning and practicing it.
You are exactly right~! And should DO honestly be your backup, you'll have to lie to admissions people to get in. That is never a good idea. :scared: If you have to lie to do something, it honestly isn't worth it. I was honestly interested in the DO program, they just cost more and I didn't see OMM being worth $15k or more extra per year. Plus, my family doc, a DO said he would show me some stuff or I could learn it later at seminars and things. But I think everyone would say that you really need to want to go the DO route because you have an interest in it :love: , not just as a back up route. :mad:

Everyone,

I got in!! Thanks for all the input.

PCOM-GA 2009

BMW,

I just got my acceptance letter today. I am really excited, I am looking forwards to meeting the rest of the groundbreaking class soon.

Best Regards,

Count me in too...I'm going to GA-PCOM!

Drugtech said:
Count me in too...I'm going to GA-PCOM!

Congrats you newcomers on your acceptances :cool:

I reserved my spot early this month :thumbup:

I tried to start a thread for those of us that are going PCOM-GA. Haven't gotten any love on the osteo. thread. Anyway, congrats guys I think the program will be great. State of the art.

BMW

OrthoFixation said:
Congrats you newcomers on your acceptances :cool:

I reserved my spot early this month :thumbup:

I already sent my deposite in and Im about 90% sure I will be going to Pcom next year.

Did you guys have a LOR from a D.O.? I'm filling out my secondary (i know, i know, i applied really late) and i am trying to decide if i should shadow a D.O. for a few days next week and see if he will write me one, or just have the M.D. I have been shadowing, and that knows me well, write my physician LOR.

Jcrown said:
Did you guys have a LOR from a D.O.? I'm filling out my secondary (i know, i know, i applied really late) and i am trying to decide if i should shadow a D.O. for a few days next week and see if he will write me one, or just have the M.D. I have been shadowing, and that knows me well, write my physician LOR.

I had a DO lor, and I remember seeing that most of the other people who were accepted had one as well. Also, I think it's essential for you to at least have shadowed a DO, so you should probably go ahead and shadow the guy and try to get a LOR out of him.

I had a DO lor, no MD lor. I sent my DO lor to the MD schools too and received interview invites.

I don't remember if PCOM requires a DO lor (check their site). If you don't have one, you should really express your understanding of osteopathy. DO's in America is a great book for background.

Good luck :luck: