Female Interview Attire Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jnpeacoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, this is a pretty basic question, but to all the other female applicants out there, what did you wear to interviews? Any advice or good websites to check out?

Thanks,
Jesse

Members don't see this ad.

jnpeacoc said:
So, this is a pretty basic question, but to all the other female applicants out there, what did you wear to interviews? Any advice or good websites to check out?

Thanks,
Jesse

Check out this enormous thread over in the Pre-MD forum: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=134884

Generally: at my first interview, I was the only female not wearing a suit. I wore a black knee-length skirt and a blue button-down shirt, nice shoes (about a 1.5 inch heel), and my peacoat over the whole thing and felt very comfortable. However, most people choose to wear a suit (pants/skirt, doesn't seem to matter), with black being the most popular color. Some opt to wear a button-down shirt underneath, while others wear a shell of some kind. Depending on your personal style, you might want to choose a suit that stands out, or just add some accessories to get your personality accross.

Has anyone interviewed at WVSOM in late December(17th-later) and if so have you received a reply yet? Just wondering

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore a suit, would suggest wearing a skirt suit rather than a pants suit. Although sexist, that is actually the proper attire for females. I used to interview students for positions into a program and realize that many of the older men on the panel still see females in skirts more professional. It really depends who you interview with, but just to play it safe. I was actually talking to another student about this earlier this month... we interviewed with 6 girls and 3 guys. Both the guys who wore the traditional black school were accepted, and the two of us in skirts were in this years class coincidence? Maybe, but why take the chance. Remember, to choose the appropriate skirt though, nothing for a night out to the night club, should be no shorter than just above the knee.

I wore a powder pink suit to my KCOM interview, I wore a skirt and matching top to my DMUCOM and MSUCOM interviews. I wore a chocolate brown suit to another interview. To no adverse affect, in fact I recieved several comments from interviewers and adcom members on how refreshing it was to see something other than blue or black.

Basically, just look nice and professional, and make sure that you feel good (and comfortable) in what you are wearing. I don't like suits, so it was hard to find one that I liked, but they were nontraditional looking suits.

Nicola1926 said:
Has anyone interviewed at WVSOM in late December(17th-later) and if so have you received a reply yet? Just wondering

Start a new thread, you'll get a better response.

it's really your preference of what to wear and all of these posts are helpful. i've heard the same about sticking with a skirt suit, but i chose to wore pants suit to nycom (black pant suit) and blue button down underneath and was accepted... so yes what you wear is important but overall it's how the interview goes and how you present yourself. but at my interviews i've seen females who came in a beige tweed skirt and white blouse and they looked nice too. nice shoes, but remember to be comfortable enough in them to walk around on tours and stuff. best of luck to you guys! :thumbup:

NYCOM class of 2009

In my opinion, your decision should be based upon presenting an image which enhances, rather than detracts from your candidacy. At my interviews, nearly all of the male and female candidates wore suits of some sort and yes, the most common color is black. I did see some amazing choices of attire, including a woman in jeans and a sweatshirt, and all I could think, as a fellow interviewee, was "What were you thinking???" I know I would not want adcom personnel to wonder that about me.

In general, you should strive for conservative professionalism in order to respect your audience and convey that you are serious about entering a conservative profession. You should appear neat, polished and comfortable. It is fine to express a bit of your personality through your choice of blouse or accessories, but nothing too bold, revealing or otherwise inappropriate.
Med school interviews just are not the time to make fashion or political statements. You should wear clean, conservative shoes and if you carry a bag or case, it should be professional and in good condition (backbacks, canvas totes, etc just do not look nice). Choose your nicest, comfortable shoes; if your feet are happy, you will be too. If you feel good about yourself and your appearance, this will give you the confidence to help you excel during your interview.

Best of luck to you! :luck: